OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Randam Hajile

@GF
The pics of Flash on the bike are great. Very funny! Eph's Faceapp edit makes it hilarious! Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 1f60b

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:Flash Gordon is one of those movies that was constantly running on HBO when we first got cable.  I saw pieces of it, but never watched the whole thing.  You would think that as a 14 year-old comic nerd I would have been all over it, but I guess my friends and I were more interested in MTV and trying to get a peek at “Emanuelle in Bangkok” on the scrambled “adult” channel.  😛

Your figure still brings back memories, though.   It’s a great representation of the character and captures that uniquely early 80s combinations of camp, cool, and slightly bizarre..

Thank you very much! I'm glad this made these sweet memories of youth come back to you, and reflected them well enough. Smile

Ephiane wrote:Ahh, to give figures a idiotical look ! That´s my Job. Laughing

Thank you very much, Ephiane, this looks even better than what I expected, as it seems to add an additional layer of self-conscious humour to the goofy "I'm flying" grin. Smile

blackpool wrote:Awesome take on that iconic character! I remember enjoying that movie a lot when I was a kid, I still like giving it a watch, a bit like the original Clash of the Titans, the poor sfx, the shiny costumes, the bad acting, timothy dalton in thighs... It's a classic lol (now I got that Queen song stuck in my head, thx Gub!)

I'm surprised people actually know that scifi movie with Louis de Funes and Jacques Villeret (playing the alien). I discovered only recently that it's not such an old movie, De Funes was a french comedy star mainly in the 60's and 70's, this movie is actually from 1980-1981 while it looks like it was made in 1965 Razz

Thank you very much, Alex. Although apart from the occasional new prop it is basically a body swap. Yes, the original Clash of the Titans had a similar sense of fun (arguably so did Beastmaster). And I'm old enough to remember when Louis de Funes and Alain Delon were the two most instantly recognizable French actors to young people internationally.

Randam Hajile wrote:@GF
The pics of Flash on the bike are great. Very funny! Eph's Faceapp edit makes it hilarious!  Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 1f60b

Thank you very much, Ralf, I'm glad you liked them. And I'm delighted Ephiane took me up on this suggestion and created another FaceApp masterpiece.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Theboo-bomb

Flash Gordon is one of those characters where I have never seen any of it yet I know they are talking about a very old sci-fi character. I think this is a pretty good figure, specially if he's wearing pants and would you look at that sci-fi bike! Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 1f601

I might have to see this movie at some point, I like those old 80's movies.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Flash Gordon is one of those characters where I have never seen any of it yet I know they are talking about a very old sci-fi character.  I think this is a pretty good figure, specially if he's wearing pants and would you look at that sci-fi bike!  Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 1f601

I might have to see this movie at some point, I like those old 80's movies.
I know the feeling. In this case, he is a very old sci fi character, although this iteration goes back only to 1980. Glad you liked him. And he did get more modern sport shorts for the bike. Smile  Is the movie going to rock your world? Doubtful. Though it might bring some back come cheesy 80s nostalgia. And it is a cult classic. Of course, that could be said for all sorts of things, of varying appeal.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part III: Upgrade and Making Friends

Well, I was not going to back to the overly tight pants that came with the set, so I first went back to the sport shorts (which are at least a nod towards Flash's sports background -- variously specified).

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Bcfgc212

Then I found and used some Hasbro Star Wars imperial officer pants. They are a bit wide, but they fit easily enough and do not restrict the articulation. They are also a tad short, but that's fine, as they would hide under the tall boots.

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Bcfgc213

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Bcfgc214

The new look seems to be working well enough, as Flash was immediately rushed at by an eager fan.

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Bcfgc215

He was his usual friendly self, but somehow her little gift diverted all his attention...

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Bcfgc216

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Bcfgc217

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Bcfgc218

Making friends fast has always been one of Flash's greatest abilities. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hmmm. I don’t know if I’m feeling the Hammer Pants; I’m more for the original pants that came with the figure. Nice photo story though — the mini Ted is cute.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 C8485110

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Very nice portrayal of an 80s "guilty pleasure". While i dont remember the movie in detail, what comes to mind is b-picture "trash" in a good, entertaining way, plus as mentioned above the cameo in ted really made me like the actor even more Wink so many more movies of the same kind/era that ,for the life of me, cant remember its titles, flash gordon stood out in a good way.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Hmmm. I don’t know if I’m feeling the Hammer Pants; I’m more for the original pants that came with the figure. Nice photo story though — the mini Ted is cute.

I agree with you the wider pants are farther removed from the source, but I needed something more practical for this body. Futzing can remove the billowing effect in most cases -- from a particular angle at least, though that is not the same as having the right pants in the first place. Glad you liked Ted.

Tjolnir wrote:Very nice portrayal of an 80s "guilty pleasure". While i dont remember the movie in detail, what comes to mind is b-picture "trash" in a good, entertaining way, plus as mentioned above the cameo in ted really made me like the actor even more Wink so many more movies of the same kind/era that ,for the life of me, cant remember its titles, flash gordon stood out in a good way.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. I feel much the same way about these movies.

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:
I agree with you the wider pants are farther removed from the source....

Further from the 1980s source, yes, but the 1930s movie serial Flash Gordon often wore "riding breeches," particularly in early chapters of each serial when he is wearing his "Earth clothes" before he changes in to his "futuristic" uniform. I like the "Hammer pants" because they are reminiscent, to me, of the Buster Crabbe incarnation of the character.

Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 Flash-gordon-buster-crabbe-1936

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Nice update, Ian! The new pants work well, but give the outfit a completely different vibe. More 1930s than 1980s.  Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 1f600

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:
I agree with you the wider pants are farther removed from the source....

Further from the 1980s source, yes, but the 1930s movie serial Flash Gordon often wore "riding breeches," particularly in early chapters of each serial when he is wearing his "Earth clothes" before he changes in to his "futuristic" uniform. I like the "Hammer pants" because they are reminiscent, to me, of the Buster Crabbe incarnation of the character.

That's very cool, I had absolutely no idea. Glad there is some continuity there. I know the 1980s film departed from precedent to some point, but it (and especially its promotional materials) also tried to honor the artistic depictions, so perhaps Flash is here borrowing from that wardrobe. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Nice update, Ian! The new pants work well, but give the outfit a completely different vibe. More 1930s than 1980s.  Flash Gordon making friends (custom updated with Part III) - Page 3 1f600
Thanks, Ralf, I'm glad you like them. Well... maybe Flash was in the 1930s. DavidD confirms that there is a precedent. Smile Or maybe he is a time traveler, and he is holding on to pieces he likes from different times.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum