OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recommendations for custom headsculpts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Recommendations for custom headsculpts Empty Recommendations for custom headsculpts Fri May 19, 2023 12:40 pm

helianthus

Hello, I've been looking into having a custom head made for a figure I'm planning, but I cannot distinguish which creators are reputable and accurate to source photos, especially since last time I kind of ended up with a figure head of rather low quality and accuracy.

I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations and/or advice. Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask by the way.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
I work with a guy in Australia named Will Millar. You can check out my Sales threads for a few head sculpts that he’s done. (They’re all under my original username Stryker2011). But, be prepared, for a quality sculptor your are going to pay a pretty penny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Recommendations for custom headsculpts 1f10

helianthus

Stryker2012 wrote:I work with a guy in Australia named Will Millar. You can check out my Sales threads for a few head sculpts that he’s done. (They’re all under my original username Stryker2011). But, be prepared, for a quality sculptor your are going to pay a pretty penny.

Thank you for your reply
If the posts I found from you were the ones you are referring to, they all are incredible, and appear highly accurate and lifelike.

To be honest, however, I am not sure what price point you are implying when you say "a pretty penny" Provided I have the ability to pay for it, I would be willing to. Though if it is out of my current budget, I would be happy with something less than perfect, but almost certainly will be a considerable step up from the previous attempt, from a different sculptor. I have seen a few on e-bay for within my budget but was concerned as to the legitimacy of these.

Editing for elaboration: It is my intention for this to be my only action figure of this caliber. The action figure in question, that I am hoping for to be at least more accurate in comparison to, of the same 'character', is a 1:9 scale figure completed on a budget of around 60-70$, is extraordinarily stiff and unrealistic in body, and has little resemblance outside of the vague nose shape. However for this price point I was expecting this, though I was in high school at the time of his completion.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Yikes! Sorry, I don’t mean to sound mean, but that amount won’t even cover 1/10 of what most one-off sculpts would cost you from a competent artist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5Recommendations for custom headsculpts Empty Re: Recommendations for custom headsculpts Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm

helianthus

Stryker2012 wrote:Yikes! Sorry, I don’t mean to sound mean, but that amount won’t even cover 1/10 of what most one-off sculpts would cost you from a competent artist.

Yes, this was exactly my point.

This was what I had available as an unemployed high school student, I am now an adult.

Also it was meant to possibly explain what the price and quality of the figure I had then is, and that I am now able to afford a higher quality figure, (though possibly not of the quality of the ones you have had made,)  but that really something a level up from aforementioned 70$ action figure is desired, as he really does not look like the 'character' intended.

For example, he does not have an articulated neck or torso, and his face is that of a rough 3D printed object, with hair that is completely unshaped and round. This is expected entirely.

6Recommendations for custom headsculpts Empty Re: Recommendations for custom headsculpts Fri May 19, 2023 10:10 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Hmm, well. Not sure who you could use. I guess it depends on what the character is, and if there’s a possibility that you could use an existing sculpt to modify with paint (at least) to stand as a close approximation.

7Recommendations for custom headsculpts Empty Re: Recommendations for custom headsculpts Fri May 19, 2023 10:28 pm

helianthus

Stryker2012 wrote:Hmm, well. Not sure who you could use. I guess it depends on what the character is, and if there’s a possibility that you could use an existing sculpt to modify with paint (at least) to stand as a close approximation.

I feel I perhaps have made a wrong impression, and that therefore it is important that I clarify that I do not expect to pay 70$, nor is that my goal.

The 'character' technically is a historical figure/classical composer, and the reason for my doing this in the first place is a complete lack of action figures for this person, for reasons relating mainly to obscurity. Thus it is that I am less concerned with hyperrealism or having him be entirely perfect than others, but I do want him to be more accurate than his previous version.

Perhaps this is not an appropriate forum for me to be on, as someone who is less involved/experienced. I'm sorry if this has been irritating to you.

8Recommendations for custom headsculpts Empty Re: Recommendations for custom headsculpts Fri May 19, 2023 10:36 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
No. Not irritating at all. Who are you trying to make? Will Millar charges anywhere in the neighborhood of $1000 + for his work. You’d have to supply references, of course, so paintings or 3D pics of a bust or something if we’re talking Mozart (or some other figure prior to photographs). If it’s someone within the realm of 20th cs turn artists, that would be easier to provide as many photographs as you can get your hands on.

9Recommendations for custom headsculpts Empty Re: Recommendations for custom headsculpts Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 pm

helianthus

The intended person is an early 20th century composer of whom we have a great many photos, though few (two if I am correct) where he is forward facing. He does not need to quite be perfect, but I would like him to have the amount of resemblance that even the average action figure would have to the target character, which is not true of what I have now.

While the work of the artist you have suggested is truly extraordinary, it is also that I simply would not feel comfortable taking out and handling him in almost any capacity, never mind handling him anywhere close to the amount the current figure is.

10Recommendations for custom headsculpts Empty Re: Recommendations for custom headsculpts Sat May 20, 2023 1:50 am

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Ahh, gotcha. Most other sculptors out there (check out the forum customonesixth: https://customonesixth.com/) tend to work on group projects only. Will has done several, as well. I managed to get him to work on sculpts for me (ones that he was interested in as well), and we built a friendship, and great working relationship, so that we have done several projects now that weren’t necessarily things he was interested on, but was willing to do. If you can find someone like that, it’s a great thing. He and I discuss every step of the way, I’ll point out changes that need to be made, and he does them, or takes a closer look at what I’m talking about, and finds ways to improve them. For me, personally, I prefer this one-on-one type of working relationship as I find more often than not, group projects become a case of “too many witches spoil the brew” (ie, many people lack the ability to see the finer details, or the flaws, and their mind sees something that doesn’t really exist, it’s just what they “perceive” to be truth). I wish I could be of more help, as I completely understand the frustration of wanting something that doesn’t already exist, and seeing it come to fruition. If at any point you feel like Will may be your best bet, let me know, and I’ll gladly send you his details through PM. Good luck, and feel free to ask further questions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum