OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:There’s a couple guys over at the Freaks who have done a bunch of Jabba’s goons, and Nien Nunb, including all the costumes, in the “Star Wars Customs” section which may be able to give you some ideas to complete the characters.

I poked around and found some amazing customs by okieh 2. Are those the ones you meant? Wow. With almost no exception I can't even aspire to match what he did. And some of his 3D sculpts appear to be more detailed than what I could find. But his ability to get the clothing to work is amazing.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Valiarde

GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2012 wrote:There’s a couple guys over at the Freaks who have done a bunch of Jabba’s goons, and Nien Nunb, including all the costumes, in the “Star Wars Customs” section which may be able to give you some ideas to complete the characters.

I poked around and found some amazing customs by okieh 2. Are those the ones you meant? Wow. With almost no exception I can't even aspire to match what he did. And some of his 3D sculpts appear to be more detailed than what I could find. But his ability to get the clothing to work is amazing.

I met Okieh two month ago at a small convention where he had a table and offered some of his bashes Smile . Very nice guy. Too bad I forgot to take a photo from both of us. Razz

As for your heads: I really like 3D printing technology and its options. You did a good job and I'm pretty sure you will find creative and exciting kitbashes for them all and include them in your Guberverse cheers

Stryker2012

Founding Father
There’s also these guys, Ian:

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/chakamans-customs-mods-and-repaints.82498/

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/cagodas-customs-cantina.232983/

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/d-r-37s-cargo-hold-1-6-star-wars-mods-customs.232364/

skywalkersaga

It's great that you are always so willing to do these kind of test runs to show as examples to others. They turned out really nicely and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the bodies and outfits!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:I met Okieh two month ago at a small convention where he had a table and offered some of his bashes Smile . Very nice guy. Too bad I forgot to take a photo from both of us. Razz

As for your heads: I really like 3D printing technology and its options. You did a good job and I'm pretty sure you will find creative and exciting kitbashes for them all and include them in your Guberverse cheers  
Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked them, Simon. And now I've been warned by Ovy what to look for and improve before painting. Smile
Did you get any of Okieh's stuff? That guy is amazing.

Stryker2012 wrote:There’s also these guys, Ian:

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/chakamans-customs-mods-and-repaints.82498/

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/cagodas-customs-cantina.232983/

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/d-r-37s-cargo-hold-1-6-star-wars-mods-customs.232364/
Thank you very much for the links, Mark. I looked at them before bed, and they are amazing. I'd say inspiring, except they are a reminder of just how much work one has to put into these to make them look right. And my suspicions that I laid my hands on a very streamlined version of Barada's head are confirmed. Smile

skywalkersaga wrote:It's great that you are always so willing to do these kind of test runs to show as examples to others. They turned out really nicely and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the bodies and outfits!
Thank you very much, Sky, I'm very glad you liked them. Having seen the amazing customs out there, I'm rather doubtful that I would be able to turn many of these into exactly what they are supposed to be. But I might try, or at least think laterally. There is another (hope -- just kidding), that is actually more complete, but I haven't shown yet.

Valiarde

Valiarde
I didn't buy any custom figure from Okieh but having some of them in hand I can say they are of great quality.

And like i said he is a very kind guy und we talked quiet a bit. I bought some figure parts for kitbashing though haha

And don't undersell your work and creativity, you will turn them into some fantastic characters and they will probaböy show up in some kind of comedic story and will make me lough so hard Smile)

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Good luck finding a body for Niem, I think I've changed mine four times! Lol. For the skiff guards/pilot I found cheap Doctor Who Dalek Sec' bodies work well and come with alien hands already, although I'm not sure how available they are in the States.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:I didn't buy any custom figure from Okieh but having some of them in hand I can say they are of great quality.

And like i said he is a very kind guy und we talked quiet a bit. I bought some figure parts for kitbashing though haha

And don't undersell your work and creativity, you will turn them into some fantastic characters and they will probaböy show up in some kind of comedic story and will make me lough so hard Smile)
Great that you are meeting such awesome creators like Ovy and Okieh in real life. Not that I don't appreciate our virtual interactions! Smile
Thanks for the kind words, Simon. Well, I do hope to make you laugh, that's for sure. In the meantime, brace yourself for an imminent Star Wars product review...

shovelchop81 wrote:Good luck finding a body for Niem, I think I've changed mine four times! Lol. For the skiff guards/pilot I found cheap Doctor Who Dalek Sec' bodies work well and come with alien hands already, although I'm not sure how available they are in the States.
Thanks for the advice, Alex, I will look into it. Actually, at least some of these heads would be a it of a challenge for many if not most bodies.

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Great paintwork! It seems that you are getting better and better all the time, Ian! I'm looking forward to see the full figures in your entertaining SW-stories  Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 1f60d

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Great paintwork! It seems that you are getting better and better all the time, Ian! I'm looking forward to see the full figures in your entertaining SW-stories  Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 1f60d
Thank you very much for the kind words, Ralf. Glad you liked them. Now I really better get working on making that happen! Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part II: some repaints, a new head, and something bigger...

Since this is no longer just about painting 3D-printed heads, I've altered the title of the topic. 

But first, to continue where we left off, I post a couple of shots of the previously shown heads, which I have repainted. After realizing that Brandon Alinger's Star Wars Costumes book included the creature masks, I consulted them and concluded that my original renditions were too dark in color. In my defense, apart from me being slightly color blind, reference images, including stills from the films, can be inconsistent or outright misleading (Lucas is notorious about manipulating the images and their colors). So here are my repaints of three of the heads, Nikto, Barada, and Weequay. Nikto needed to become much warmer in color and his horns darker; Weequay also had to warm up a bit. The difference is most striking for Barada (but note that the colors look even brighter in the photos than in hand). The costumes book indicated that his coloring is much, much lighter than what I was looking at in movie stills, and more beige and yellowish than expected. I tried to replicate my new reference image, but it brings up a valid point -- when props and film frames disagree, which is more important to agree with? (The differences in height are largely due to the different sizes of the neck opening and the amount of makeshift stuffing, interacting with the makeshift stands.)

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Tdph0810
Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Tdph0910

Realizing just how stylized the Barada head was, I looked for other options, and found a version that two Etsy printers/sellers were willing to blow up to sixth-scale for me. The credit goes to them, CBPrints3D in the UK and the Poison3DHarleyCstms here in the US, from whom I got the previous heads (and more). I recommend both of them very much. The 3D model is identical, but the British print came out a bit bigger than the US one. Some of the features appear slightly exaggerated, which is only natural, considering this 3D model was intended for a much smaller scale. So now we have a surfeit of detail. I painted it to match the costumes book, and took some creative liberty with the "horns" or "crests" which are not really seen (at least not in the Original Trilogy).

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Tdph1010
Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Tdph1110

(As I was typing this up, the mail came in, and I received my next shipment from Poison3DHarleyCstms, so there will be more 3D printed head (and other stuff) painting to share later on.)

And while there are still more heads (and characters) in the works I'm not showing yet, saving the biggest piece for last, something that has nothing to do with 3D printing. Having despaired of finding a Sideshow Gamorrean (even though they made two, if my research is correct), I decided to give modifying the Hasbro 2002 12 inch-version a try. Despite the limited articulation (5 points, which is one more than the original Kenner 3.75-inch figure; * correction, 7 points, I forgot the rotating wrists) and unfortunate placement of the vambraces (they should be turned to protect the arms more from the outer side), it is actually a very good sculpt. Ruined, I feel, by a bad paint job. So, my modifications were going to be primarily repainting, although I did do a bit more to the outfit and especially the circular ornament near the center of the chest.

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00110
Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00210

The figure above became the figure below:

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00310

Modifications included repainting the flesh, once again a difficult task to match the real costume (we think of them as green, but it is not really proper green), the nails, the sculpted leather and costume bits, additionally, using a fabric medium because it adds flexibility, I warmed up/browned-up the color of the soft plastic harness and of the artificial hair skirt, used a blackish wash to bring out the detail of the armor pieces and axe, adding some oily steel and gloss varnish to make them look more metallic, repainted the eyes blue and glossed them, repainted the teeth and horns to make them more realistic.

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00410

Finally, my proudest achievement, although I'm not sure how well it comes though in the photos, I created a lot of drool and snot for the nose and mouth, trying to replicate the actual costume and makeup. Using both gloss and matt varnish as appropriate can really help improve the realism and bring to life the character.

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00510

Overall, I think he turned out quite well. Of course, I wish he had the slightly better articulation of the Sideshow version, and that all the outfit and armor pieces were real separate pieces, but I think he looks pretty accurate in the end. In fact, there are some aspects of the look I prefer to what I've seen of the Sideshow version. I liked it so well, that even before completing the modifications, I ordered a second one to modify too (Jabba needs guarding, obviously he has inadequate security). And this allows for a proper comparison.

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00610
Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00710
Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggh00810

For Part III, see HERE.

I hope this is useful or even entertaining. Perhaps it would encourage someone to try a similar project of their own.
As always, what do you think?

Chip

Your painting skills are impressive , most impressive . I love the Hasbro Gamorrean make over . I also like revamping older figers , lot`s of fun and can give them a new lease of life . Good stuff Gube .

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
That’s a great upgrade to those heads, and Wow! What you did to that Gamorrean Guard. Impressive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Chip wrote:Your painting skills are impressive , most impressive . I love the Hasbro Gamorrean make over . I also like revamping older figers , lot`s of fun and can give them a new lease of life . Good stuff Gube .
Thank you very much for the kind words, Mark. And I totally saw what you did there (impressive!). I'm glad you liked them, and my refurbishing/makeover of the Hasbro Gamorrean. For an intergalactic porkster, he's not all that bad looking. No wonder Princess Leia just had to give that drooly mug a smooch. Smile
Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Leia-and-Gamorrean-guard

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Fantastic painting, thanks for sharing the details. It’s amusing to read what you enjoyed most, who knew snot could be satisfying...! Looks great and I think the face especially is much more accurate with a more serious/less cartoonish vibe.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ahh, what a fun project! I absolutely love seeing Hasbro upgrades, and this one is fantastic! The colour improvements alone make a huge difference. You did the right thing by getting another to keep him company whilst on duty. Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

davidd

davidd
Wow! Shocked  Them's some serious painting skillz!

The fig looks fang-tastic! Snot and all!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:That’s a great upgrade to those heads, and Wow! What you did to that Gamorrean Guard. Impressive.

Thank you very much, Mark, I'm very glad you liked the work on the heads and the modification of the Gamorrean.

Tanzenwolfe wrote:Fantastic painting, thanks for sharing the details. It’s amusing to read what you enjoyed most, who knew snot could be satisfying...! Looks great and I think the face especially is much more accurate with a more serious/less cartoonish vibe.

Thank you for the kind words. There are much better painters than me, but I'm glad the result is reasonably successful. And it looks like I have achieved my objective -- a more realistic and accurate and less cartoonish appearance for the Gamorrean. And to think it was already there in the sculpt/mold.

skywalkersaga wrote:Ahh, what a fun project! I absolutely love seeing Hasbro upgrades, and this one is fantastic! The colour improvements alone make a huge difference. You did the right thing by getting another to keep him company whilst on duty. Razz

Thank you very much, Sky. Glad you approve and agree. And yes, it is hard not to indulge in a bit of army building. These things are not super expensive yet, but won't stay low priced forever -- if nothing else, they are somewhat bulky, even more so if they are in their boxes (I bought unboxed).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:Wow! Shocked  Them's some serious painting skillz!

The fig looks fang-tastic! Snot and all!
Thank you very much, Dave, I'm delighted you liked them.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great work indeed!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Great work indeed!
Thank you Dal, I'm glad you liked it.

Diana

Diana
Wow, these repaints look fantastic!! Especially the Guard of course. Very inspiring. (she says, still having ten unpainted heads in her cupboard. Rolling Eyes )

Visisonor

Visisonor
The Gamorrean is definitely more screen-accurate now. The "before" photos looked like he was halfway through applying The Kiss makeup.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:Wow, these repaints look fantastic!! Especially the Guard of course. Very inspiring. (she says, still having ten unpainted heads in her cupboard. Rolling Eyes )
Thank you so much, Diana. I'm glad you enjoyed them. As for unfinished customs, don't feel bad: I'm sure any of us who customize or kitbash anything have a bunch of those somewhere: in a box... in a cupboard... in our heads... on our desks. Oh yeah, in addition to a couple of partly painted human heads, as of yesterday's package arrival from same excellent dude who is responsible for most of the 3D printed heads above, I now have another six heads to paint starting me down from just beyond my keyboard. These include three new renditions of alien species! And I got so inspired, I just ordered more. It's an addiction!

Visisonor wrote:The Gamorrean is definitely more screen-accurate now. The "before" photos looked like he was halfway through applying The Kiss makeup.
I'm glad you agree. And I think you nailed your characterization of the "before" look. I'm glad that I finally looked past that very cartoonish paintjob and decided to give it a chance. If I had done so a couple of years ago, I might have gotten them much more inexpensively (although the prices were still negligible compared to modern high end figures); of course I might have gotten some Sideshow ones too. But I was holding off on the Jabba stuff in this scale for too long.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That original paintjob is so strange, did they think the 'KISS makeup' made them look more 'scary' or something?? Well, whatever the reason, you made it look so much better now!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:That original paintjob is so strange, did they think the 'KISS makeup' made them look more 'scary' or something?? Well, whatever the reason, you made it look so much better now!
Indeed. I think it seriously undermined what was obviously a pretty decent likeness. I still wish the vambraces were either (properly) separate pieces or had been sculpted rotated to the side as they should be.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Nice job on the Gamorion! I've been too lazy to paint the two I have! LOL. The other heads are looking Great too! I see you are on a ROTJ binge! ;-)

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Nice job on the Gamorion! I've been too lazy to paint the two I have! LOL. The other heads are looking Great too! I see you are on a ROTJ binge! ;-)
Thank you very much, Alex, coming from you a big endorsement for sure. Yes, I'm on a binge. The 3D-printers are enabling it!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
So one of my gripes with the Hasbro rendition of the Gamorrean Guard was the less than ideal positioning of the vambraces, protecting primarily the top rather than outer side of the lower arms... Guess what? Perhaps I was being too dismissive. Or perhaps another wardrobe oversight (or even behind the scenes photo) had given Hasbro the idea to sculpt it this way. Because I chanced upon this in a bit of footage from the set in the youtube video:
Gubernator's various new Star Wars customs (updated September 30) - Page 2 Ggcost10

So perhaps in a sense, in this respect, the Hasbro Gamorrean is screen accurate after all... Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum