OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cobb Vanth Hot Toys Star Wars TMS084 Review (updated with Part II, 2 January 2024)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Diana

Awww, I'll join the choir: those shots are so precious! Makes me want to get that figure myself! The marketing worked. Almost, as I still manage to resist the impulse. Razz

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Diana wrote:Awww, I'll join the choir: those shots are so precious! Makes me want to get that figure myself! The marketing worked. Almost, as I still manage to resist the impulse. Razz

Do it!

Cobb Vanth Hot Toys Star Wars TMS084 Review (updated with Part II, 2 January 2024) - Page 2 Mcm23a10

So says Sheriff Santa!

Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

davidd

I want some of those bottles with the mesh around them! What is that interesting prop from?

(EDIT: never mind - found it on Monkey Depot - it's a Hot Toys item)

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
davidd wrote:I want some of those bottles with the mesh around them! What is that interesting prop from?

(EDIT: never mind - found it on Monkey Depot - it's a Hot Toys item)
I see you found this:
https://www.monkeydepot.com/Canteen_Hot_Toys_Drink_Bottle_w_Woven_Bag_p/ht5423.htm

I didn't realize it was part of some earlier set, but I guess there is continuity (or recycling) in Disney Star Wars series. Apparently it is used for an alien drink called Spotchka. Mine was just part of the Cobb Vanth set. I imagined it as precious water on a desert planet, but the Russian-ish name and other details suggest it is closer to Vodka (which, incidentally, means "little water").

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
It came with the Fennec Shand figure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Cobb Vanth Hot Toys Star Wars TMS084 Review (updated with Part II, 2 January 2024) - Page 2 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:It came with the Fennec Shand figure.
Ah, thanks for confirming my suspicions and identifying the specific source. And it makes sense.

Visisonor

Visisonor
I guess my reaction to a figure of myself would be similar to Timothy Olyphant's, especially if it was of that quality. His joy is contagious.

Great review, as always.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Visisonor wrote:I guess my reaction to a figure of myself would be similar to Timothy Olyphant's, especially if it was of that quality. His joy is contagious.

Great review, as always.
Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. And your analysis makes excellent sense; I think my reaction would be the same.

Zes

Zes
Great review! I prefer this "Boba Fett" look over the other Disney Boba Fett figures Hot Toys has released.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Zes wrote:Great review! I prefer this "Boba Fett" look over the other Disney Boba Fett figures Hot Toys has released.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. As for liking this look better than some of the other new ones, could it be because (SPOILER ALERT!) this is apparently the actual Boba Fett armor, having suffered additional damage from the Sarlacc's stomach acids, etc? Meaning, this is closer to the real thing, so to speak. Smile

Zes

Zes
GubernatorFan wrote:
Zes wrote:Great review! I prefer this "Boba Fett" look over the other Disney Boba Fett figures Hot Toys has released.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. As for liking this look better than some of the other new ones, could it be because (SPOILER ALERT!) this is apparently the actual Boba Fett armor, having suffered additional damage from the Sarlacc's stomach acids, etc? Meaning, this is closer to the real thing, so to speak. Smile

Yep, I love the acid-damaged look of the armor, especially with that fresh coat of paint from later on in Mando season 2. I prefer this figure because Timothy Olyphant has a similar "lanky" build as Jeremy Bulloch from the OT. I'm tempted to pick one of these figures up and replace the outfit with a grey flightsuit.

Not to hate on Temuera Morrison's portrayl of Boba Fett in the Mandalorian or BoBF, but I think Disney should have cast someone else in that role. Fett is supposed to be the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy, not some out-of-shape old man who plays second fiddle to Fennec Shand in his own show lol

My dislike of Disney Star Wars aside, I find it amusing that, at least in my opinion, this Cobb Vanth figure is a better depiction of Boba Fett than the actual Boba Fett we got.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Zes wrote:Yep, I love the acid-damaged look of the armor, especially with that fresh coat of paint from later on in Mando season 2. I prefer this figure because Timothy Olyphant has a similar "lanky" build as Jeremy Bulloch from the OT. I'm tempted to pick one of these figures up and replace the outfit with a grey flightsuit.

Not to hate on Temuera Morrison's portrayl of Boba Fett in the Mandalorian or BoBF, but I think Disney should have cast someone else in that role. Fett is supposed to be the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy, not some out-of-shape old man who plays second fiddle to Fennec Shand in his own show lol

My dislike of Disney Star Wars aside, I find it amusing that, at least in my opinion, this Cobb Vanth figure is a better depiction of Boba Fett than the actual Boba Fett we got.

I love the acid damage effect, too. It is both sculpted and painted this way, enhancing the appearance. I think the figure is not quite as lanky as it ought to be, but it does lean that way. As for Boba Fett, I like Temuera Morrison in general and we all get older, but while I can see the rationale of casting him, I agree with a bunch of critics who consider this series either a lost opportunity or unnecessary, and question his portrayal. I am also annoyed that they replaced the audio in The Empire Strikes Back, which was completely unnecessary, given the brevity and quality of the line.

Actually, at least one review I encountered while looking for clips with this character, suggested that fans would have been better served by a series on Cobb Vanth than on Boba Fett or the others.

You can probably get quite far with some kitbashing, using this set and some external pieces.

Diana

Diana
GubernatorFan wrote:
Diana wrote:Awww, I'll join the choir: those shots are so precious! Makes me want to get that figure myself! The marketing worked. Almost, as I still manage to resist the impulse. Razz

Do it!

Cobb Vanth Hot Toys Star Wars TMS084 Review (updated with Part II, 2 January 2024) - Page 2 Mcm23a10

So says Sheriff Santa!

Smile

HAHA! What a handsome dude. Laughing

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:
Diana wrote:The marketing worked. Almost, as I still managed to resist the impulse.

Do it!

My resistance has crumbled. No, I did not purchase the entire figure, but I just bought that ridiculously overpriced miniature mesh-covered plastic bottle. Embarassed

I'll need to think of something really cool to do with it to justify the price. scratch

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Do it!

So says Sheriff Santa!

Smile

HAHA! What a handsome dude. Laughing

Haha, glad you liked him. And just in case you missed it, starting at him, he was hedging his bets by offering you pizza and space vodka. Smile

davidd wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:
Diana wrote:The marketing worked. Almost, as I still managed to resist the impulse.

Do it!

My resistance has crumbled. No, I did not purchase the entire figure, but I just bought that ridiculously overpriced miniature mesh-covered plastic bottle.  Embarassed  

I'll need to think of something really cool to do with it to justify the price.  scratch
Delightful! I'm glad I'm not the only enabler around (usually it is Mark who tells me "Do it, Do it, Do it"). It is a very cool piece, but it could have been done even better, if the liquid was indicated not just by paint, but by poured colored plastic/epoxy or whatever. If I remember the price ($15?), I also thought it was slightly high for something like this, and would have passed, unless it is something I really needed for a specific custom. Even if you don't have one in mind already, I have no doubt you will think of something fun to do with it.

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:If I remember the price ($15?), I also thought it was slightly high for something like this, and would have passed... .

I "justified" the expense Rolling Eyes by combining the jar with several other small items on which the price had been reduced or which were "on sale"... but still, paying this kind of money for little plastic trinkets on par with what used to come out of gumball machines for a dime or a quarter (and which included fun little plastic containers) makes no rational sense whatsoever, no matter what one's budget or financial situation.

Yet here we are, huh? bom drunken Suspect No

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:If I remember the price ($15?), I also thought it was slightly high for something like this, and would have passed... .

I "justified" the expense Rolling Eyes  by combining the jar with several other small items on which the price had been reduced or which were "on sale"... but still, paying this kind of money for little plastic trinkets on par with what used to come out of gumball machines for a dime or a quarter (and which included fun little plastic containers) makes no rational sense whatsoever, no matter what one's budget or financial situation.

Yet here we are, huh? bom  drunken  Suspect  No
Unless you are doing this five times a day, don't worry about justifying it. Besides, you could actually pour some liquid in there, so your bottle is technically functional! Smile I hope you enjoy it and put it to good use.

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:
davidd wrote:

I "justified" the expense Rolling Eyes  by combining the jar with several other small items on which the price had been reduced or which were "on sale"... but still, paying this kind of money for little plastic trinkets on par with what used to come out of gumball machines for a dime or a quarter (and which included fun little plastic containers) makes no rational sense whatsoever, no matter what one's budget or financial situation.

Yet here we are, huh? bom  drunken  Suspect  No

Besides, you could actually pour some liquid in there, so your bottle is technically functional! Smile

And here I thought I was going out on a limb trying to justify this purchase! lol!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:
Besides, you could actually pour some liquid in there, so your bottle is technically functional! Smile
And here I thought I was going out on a limb trying to justify this purchase!  lol!
Well, I'm trying to help! Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part II: Minor Update

For those of us who might want to display Cobb Vanth without the Boba Fett armor: 
Hot Toys designed the molded-neck head in such a way that it would look about right with the armor on.  With the armor off, the head looks slightly on the large side (in part because of the volume of the hair), and a little too long-necked. A way to offset this to a point, is to pad the shoulders. Here is an example, using a couple of thick foamie strips inserted under the shirt at the top of the shoulders. I think it helps.

Cobb Vanth Hot Toys Star Wars TMS084 Review (updated with Part II, 2 January 2024) - Page 2 Htcba110

Someone with more imagination than me would also be able to cut or fold or replace the oversized scarf with something more screen accurate. I left it off for this photo.

What do you think?

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:

What do you think?

I think the padding helps significantly. I would not have noticed anything amiss about the neck length or head size now that he's "bulked up" a little bit.

It's amazing how big a difference a relatively small adjustment can make when working in miniature scale.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Looks pretty good. Oddly, Tim is a fairly skinny guy, so the head seeming too big is about right for his frame.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Cobb Vanth Hot Toys Star Wars TMS084 Review (updated with Part II, 2 January 2024) - Page 2 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:I think the padding helps significantly. I would not have noticed anything amiss about the neck length or head size now that he's "bulked up" a little bit.

It's amazing how big a difference a relatively small adjustment can make when working in miniature scale.

Thank you, Dave, I'm glad you agree. It's a simple enough fix, too.

Stryker2012 wrote:Looks pretty good. Oddly, Tim is a fairly skinny guy, so the head seeming too big is about right for his frame.

Thanks, Mark. Yes, he is pretty skinny and lanky, and the figure is ever so slightly less so than it should be (even without the armor), or so it seems to me. So the head would naturally look a little big, especially given his hair (which was slightly more disheveled on screen). I think this fixes the long neck issue a bit.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice! The sculpt is really good, isn't it?

Valiarde

Valiarde
Just came back from the family trip last week and have quiet some threads to read here. Congrats, that is a very nice figure, great head. I think he looks very cool and so fitting in your personal expanded SW universe Smile

I like the pic without the scarf in the bar. Especially without the armor (casual look) that scarf looks more like a bib Laughing (hope that is the correct english term)

Diana

Diana
I honestly quite like the original look of the figure and see nothing wrong with the proportions. Not having read your text when first seeing the photo, I did think the neck looked weirdly sunk in. I had a surprising turtle associations. Laughing

Maybe it's because I was with a wiry guy for years, so it looks normal to me. ^^

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Nice! The sculpt is really good, isn't it?
Yes it is. Most photos don't actually give it full justice. Something another reviewer mentioned as throwing it off is the greyish coloring of the teeth in the open mouth (given the molded head-with-neck, they could not paint and insert a separate piece).

Valiarde wrote:Just came back from the family trip last week and have quiet some threads to read here. Congrats, that is a very nice figure, great head. I think he looks very cool and so fitting in your personal expanded SW universe Smile

I like the pic without the scarf in the bar. Especially without the armor (casual look) that scarf looks more like a bib Laughing  (hope that is the correct english term)
I hope you had a great, fun, and relaxing trip. I'm glad you like him. And I agree on the scarf... it is too big. Bib is the right term. I don't want to cut it, but someone might be able to improve the look by doing that.

Diana wrote:I honestly quite like the original look of the figure and see nothing wrong with the proportions. Not having read your text when first seeing the photo, I did think the neck looked weirdly sunk in. I had a surprising turtle associations. Laughing

Maybe it's because I was with a wiry guy for years, so it looks normal to me. ^^
I agree it isn't much of a problem to begin with and, as Mark pointed out, given his proportions, the head can be expected to look a bit big. The angle and lighting also make some difference, and I might have been letting the shirt ride up a bit, minimizing the effect further (I don't recall). Anyway, still very happy with it. But those wiry guys, got to watch out for them! Smile

Diana

Diana
GubernatorFan wrote:
Anyway, still very happy with it. But those wiry guys, got to watch out for them! Smile

Laughing So true! Laughing

Those photos of Timothy Olyphant with the figure definitely worked. It's like having that figure on my shelf would now somehow place the man himself on my couch with that joyful smile. You know you love your toys too much when nerding out about them and Star Wars is at the peak of your fantasies! (Not to be taken overly seriously. Wink ) 

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:
Laughing So true! Laughing

Those photos of Timothy Olyphant with the figure definitely worked. It's like having that figure on my shelf would now somehow place the man himself on my couch with that joyful smile. You know you love your toys too much when nerding out about them and Star Wars is at the peak of your fantasies! (Not to be taken overly seriously. Wink ) 
I can't quite decide whether this means you want or don't want to see more of Timothy? Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum