OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Updated with Part II. More here. Sorry, picture heavy.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx10

Introduction

My first Star Wars action figure was a Kenner 3.75 in Luke Skywalker in Bespin gear. While I do not have a fetish for this figure like some other people seem to, it strikes me as fitting that I got this Hot Toys set, and that it might very well be the last Hot Toys Star Wars set I end up getting as such -- between the prices and production choices, and my preferences. Be that as it may, it is a great set, and I'm glad I got it. The set comes in two variants, both ostensibly deluxe, DX24 (reviewed here) and DX25 (special, with an additional Luke head in Vader's helmet and an additional Dagobah swamp base). I got the Luke head in Vader's helmet parted out, and you will see it in a couple of the photos; it did not come with the DX24 set.

This is Hot Toys' second take at Bespin Luke (the first was DX07, a combo pack). I do not own the DX07 to offer a comparison, but from what I have seen, DX24/DX25 is a definite upgrade, except for the absence of a battle-damaged outfit (and face).

To give credit (and to give you ideas), in addition to my own, I used backgrounds from Wallpaperflare, Battlefront, ArtStation (Philip Gilbert), and Dioramaworkshop.com (Frank Diorio).

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx11

Packaging

The box is both familiar and unusual, when it comes to Hot Toys Star Wars sets. Externally, we get the cigar band, now standard, wrapped around the cover (top photo below). But the cover is not a shoe box cover as usual, but a wraparound slip cover that one slides off the box within (middle photo below). That box is open on one side (the right), from which one pulls out another, coverless box. At the top of this there is yet another colorful image of the product, glued to a thin foam layer (bottom photo below). Removing this, one gets to the figure and its alternative hair sculpt, each in its own indent within a thick black foam layer, surrounded by a thin cardboard covering. Remove that cardboard covering and you can also get to the belt and the alternate hand sculpts. The foam layers are a signature of Hot Toys deluxe sets and I appreciate them -- not because they are deluxe, but because they are infinitely more user friendly than plastic treys with lids. Unfortunately, that is exactly what you will find when you remove the thick foam layer -- a plastic trey with its own plastic lid. Inside are stored the base and base add-on, the stand, the blaster, the lightsaber hilt, the translucent lightsaber blades (normal and in fan-like motion), the alternate lower arm and hand with the LED-lighted lightsaber, three batteries for it, a couple of spare wrist pegs, some spare metal caps for the belt, and the little tool for moving the eyes. There is also an instruction booklet inside. Overall, everything is collector friendly and safe.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx12

Sculpting

The sculpted detail is up to Hot Toys' usual excellent standards, even if plenty of seems to be recycled from their earlier work. This is likely the case with the light-saber hilt, the blaster pistol, and probably some of the hands. The head sculpt seems to be identical to the one they used for their Mandalorian figure. The neater, puffier hair sculpt seems to be identical to the one from their Luke Snowspeeder Pilot set. The messier, sweatier hair sculpt seems to be new. At any rate, the likeness to Mark Hamil appears to be very good, perhaps better than in earlier attempts. I can't tell which of the two hair sculpts works better for me, but once again, both are very good. There is plenty of fine texturing on the skin on the head and hands, without creating an excessively aged effect. The two hair sculpts can be swapped, and are secured to the head with magnets.

As with Mandalorian Luke and other recent releases, the eyeballs are individually movable (which means you can make him cross eyed), to great potential effect. Because of the relativerly small and deep opening, it is not always easy to manipulate them from the inside of the face with the special tool designed for that job; I found it sometimes helps using the "wrong" end of the tool or even just a sturdy toothpick.

Luke stands about 29 cm (11.5 inches) tall.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx13

Paint

The paint application is also up to Hot Toys' usual high standards. Given the separate movable eyeballs, it is no big surprise they managed to paint the eyes perfectly. They are also glossy and realistic. The eyebrows are painted in exquisite detail with individual lashes and look believable. There is plenty of nuance and flecking to the paint on the head and on the hands, giving them an extra realistic appearance. The belt buckle, blaster pistol, and, to a lesser extent, the lightsaber hilt are all weathered, making them look believable as different kings of metal, although they are all plastic. The weaponry is given a darker and duller, more gunmetal look than some of its earlier iterations. The hair is given Hot Toys' usual metallic paint treatment for blonde and light hair. That is less than ideal, but seems to work reasonably well.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx14

Articulation

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but here it is, again: the Hot Toys body appears to have all the articulation you could possibly want or need -- apart from the point of articulation at the base of the head, since the head and neck are one continuous molded piece. However, Hot Toys' insistence on using padding under the costume does get in the way of the articulation in certain places (especially at the shoulders -- unless of course the shoulders and the garment's cut are at fault). It is possible to do a lot with the figure, but the effort (and worry about damaging something) makes it a frustrating experience. If I can figure out a way to get his outfit off safely, I will remove the padding. But they seem to have taken to stitching the outfits on. We get the usual good articulation at the ankles (aided by the soft boots) and wrists, elbows, knees, waist.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx15

Accessories

Luke comes with all the accessories a Bespin Luke needs, and that is not that many. He has got his outfit and belt, blaster pistol, and light saber. The pistol fits well within the holster (with some initial effort), while the light saber hangs from a hook on the lower side of the belt; it can easily fall out. There are, of course, alternate and spare parts: a total of seven hand sculpts (pair of light saber grips -- which he comes wearing in the box, one right hand gun grip, one left hand fist, a hand with extended index and middle finger, and a couple of hands with outspread fingers), the swappable hair pieces (he comes wearing the sweaty hair in the box), the swappable lower arm with hand and light saber for the LED-lighting effect. It would have been nice to get pairs of all the hands, including some relaxed hands; this feels like cutting corners.

The translucent blue light saber blade and "moving" fan-like effect can be attached to either the regular light saber hilt or to the hilt that is part of the LED-lighting lower arm assembly. Spare parts include a pair of extra wrist pegs and some small metal caps in case any come off the belt. Then there are the two-part base and stand. The two-part base is excellent. The main part is made to resemble the small round portion of the floor of the carbon-freezing chamber on Cloud City, with characteristic bright red lit panels. The additional part can attach to it from the side or stand alone. It features two carbonite pumping (?) stations that resemble futuristic space fire hydrants. The only let down, for me, is the actual stand, which plugs into the round main part of the base. Instead of the usual crotch-grabber stand, this one is designed to grab the body around the waist. I find these more difficult to use and more visible and distracting.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx16

Light Features

There are three light features altogether. Unsurprisingly, given Hot Toys' past record, the light saber has a light up option, which requires using an alternate lower arm, into which one inserts three small batteries (provided), activating the light with a switch. The light travels into and through the translucent light saber blade or motion fan-like effect, which can be plugged into the opening of the light saber hilt attached permanently to the LED lower arm-and-hand assembly. I don't like swapping the lower arms and did not do this for the figure. However, in several photos, you can see the unattached alternate LED arm-and-hand assembly with both the light saber blade and motion effect. The red light blade used for comparison is with a Darth Maul LED arm-and-hand assembly; the second, blue-on-blue lit light saber comparison borrowed an Obi-Wan LED arm-and-hand assembly for the regular blade. As before, the blue-light effect is far more striking than the red.

The other two light features are found in the two-part base. To use them, you need at least one USB C micro cable, and you need to switch each piece on with its individual power switch. Both pieces require power via USB C, but you can use just one cable if you attach the two pieces of the base to each other via the USB C connector that can be made to protrude out of the smaller base piece. Thus, if you power the smaller base piece with your cable, you can power the main base by attaching it to the powered smaller piece. The two cylinders on the smaller piece light up pale blue near the top, while the light panels on the larger, round part of the base light up bright warm red, almost orange. This is movie-accurate and very impressive. I do not know how widespread this problem would be, but on my set, the USB connection between the smaller and larger base pieces is a little tentative. It required some pressing and pushing to have it work and keep it working.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx17

Outfit

Luke's "Bespin" fatigues -- which he was wearing before setting foot on Bespin -- are recreated in loving and exact detail. So much so, they are sewn on the body and do not open, nor are the pockets functional -- unlike those on the old DX07 outfit. Prioritizing the visual over the functional is fine to a point, but the restricted articulation, especially at the shoulders, is a very frustrating issue. As I mentioned above, I'm not certain whether the issue is primarily due to the padding or the actual garment or both. I wish the sleeves were just a little bit longer, although an overly-exposed wrist, annoying as it is for a visibly-jointed action figure, might be screen-accurate.

Speaking of the boots, these are a variation of the boot type recently seen on the Snowspeeder Luke, and, of course, of the boots provided for the previous version of Bespin Luke, DX07. Unlike DX07, however, DX24/25 uses pleather. Hopefully it will not fall apart anytime soon. The boots are still soft enough to not impede ankle articulation.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx18

Source Accuracy

Overall, the set is a very good rendition of Luke's appearance at Bespin. But there are some minor details that are not quite right. The outfit is just a little bit too clean and neat, even for Luke first setting foot in Cloud City -- although I have seen at least one (publicity?) photo where it is indeed this pristine, it was not so onscreen. Moreover, the pants should be a little bit baggier or bunched up above the boots. The belt on the old DX07 set was more screen-accurate accurate in its configuration of boxes or pouches and the surface of its buckle than the one provided with the new DX24/25 sets. The two caps or rivets on the holster's leg strap should be visible at the front (they were at the back on mine out of the box), but luckily the strap can be easily readjusted -- I discovered this after taking the photos, so they do not reflect the correct appearance.
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Dd46f2651ec496af73e038acd09bcd20c9f507e0
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx19

Fun Factor

Apart from my annoyance at the restrictive or difficult articulation at the shoulders, I think Hot Toys produced a very good figure, in most respects a vast improvement on the DX07. Those of us seeking to replicate the climactic end of Luke's duel with Vader, however, would need to modify or swap the outfit, and get a wrist stump. Otherwise, Luke is good to go socializing with his friends or with his father, or whatever else tickles his budding Jedi fancy.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx20

Value

Renditions of a Star Wars protagonist released by Hot Toys in 2023, the sets retailing at (USD) $285 (DX24) or $345 (DX25) would come as no great surprise for anyone who has been around these high end collectibles. Which is not to say that the price feels justified, especially considering how much of this set is made up of items Hot Toys has already designed. The light-features base elements are great, but ultimately non-essential; the fancy box even more so. It is still simply a figure with a gun, a lightsaber, and two swappable hair sculpts. The $60 difference between DX24 and DC25 also seems excessive: the Luke in Vader's helmet head is very neat (and I picked it up parted out), but the Dagobah base, while nice, does not feel particularly exciting. Ultimately, one's feelings about the value of these sets would come down to how important it was to own these versions of the character and how much one is willing to invest in a sixth-scale figure set. All the more so for those who are getting this as an upgrade from an earlier version like DX07. I do not own an earlier version (though I had picked up one of the DX07 outfits parted out), and am glad I got this set, although I cannot say I liked its price.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx21

Things to watch out for

Not a whole lot. It would be easy to misplace the eye adjustment tool, but you could always use a toothpick or something else to achieve the same results. The lightsaber hilt can easily fall off the hook on the belt. It is not impossibly small, but still not too difficult to lose.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx22

Overall

Alongside their Mandalorian Luke, which used the same head sculpt, Hot Toys' Bespin Luke is arguably their best rendition of Mark Hamill in the iconic role as the protagonist of the Star Wars Original Trilogy. And this without even taking into account the critical importance of the sequence and film climax associated with this appearance of the character. To be sure, "Bespin Luke" could have been more easily poseable, even more accurate, and less expensive, but he remains an excellent sixth-scale collectible.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx23

Where to buy

I got mine for $277 (preorder discount) at Timewalker Toys. The reason I preordered is because I expected it to sell out. And it did. Looks like most people went for DX24, because there are still a few DX25s out there:

Big Bad Toy Store still has DX25 for $360 ($4 flat rate shipping).

Cotswold Collectibles still has DX25 for $345.

Sideshow has them on wait list.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx24

I hope this was informative, let me know what you think. If you like it, I will post a few more photos that didn't make it so far and some of the slightly corrected version compared to my reconstituted/kitbashed DX07.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx25

Updated with Part II. More here. Sorry, picture heavy.

Other recent or relevant reviews

Hot Toys Star Wars Return of the Jedi Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Director Krennic

TBLeague Female Seamles Bodies S24A-S27B

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies

Kamisoul MAF Extreme Seamless Body with Jiaou and TBleague comparison

World Box AT030 Body

Six New-ish Bodies comparison

HH Model & Haoyu Toys Dragon Banner Bearer

Premier Toys PT0001 Wasteland Gladiator

Toys Headquarters Vol 003 Fighter

TBLeague Ramesses the Great

Figure Masters Vamp Lou

LDDoll Seamless Figure Body

John Constantine (Thunder Toys Hell Detective)

SooSoo Toys Frozen Man

SooSoo Toys Mr Butcher

Sideshow and Hot Toys Star Wars Scout Troopers (comparison)

Thunder Toys Hell Detective

Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine

TBLeague Barbarian Soul

Hot Toys Star Wars Return of the Jedi Stormtrooper

ADD Toys War Wolves Back (muscle version)

World Box AT027 body

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Mudtrooper

Sideshow Star Wars TIE Fighter Pilot

Woo Toys WO-004 Fat Thor

HH HY Rome Infantry

HH HY Rome Centurion

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (He-Man)

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (Conan the Barbarian)

Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great (comparison)

Kautic Plastik Roman Infantry 2019

JX Toys Peggy Carter

TBLeague 1:12 seamless male bodies

Hasbro Star Wars Rogue One Imperial Combat Assault Tank

Hasbro Star Wars imperials 2019

Hasbro Star Wars Jabba's Tatooine Skiff

CC Toys Unexplored Nate (summer version)

Jiaou Doll Boss Chair

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Patrol Trooper

China Toys Teutonic Knight

Star Ace 300 Queen Gorgo

Black Box Toys Spectre Girl (Madeleine Swann)

Hot Toys Star Wars Royal Guard

VS Toys Bathroom

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Viking Ship

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Valhalla (double set)

TBLeague M36 body

Chinese wooden chairs and table sets A and B

HY Toys Armchair

TBLeague M35 body

Sideshow Jack Burton

Disney Star Wars Director Orson Krennic

TBLeague Spartan Goddess of War

AR Toys Hellman

Dragon Men in Black 3 Agent K 1969

#starwars #theempirestrikesback #luke #skywalker #bespin #male #fiction #scifi #film #movie #hottoys

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Very nice review, Ian! Great photography! Despite the small flaws that you mention it clearly is an impressive figure.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Good review, Ian. Very thorough and cool pics. I received my Deluxe set a couple days ago as well. In hand, I didn’t mind the sweaty hair piece as much as I thought I would, but I still prefer the standard hair piece. Changing out the arm was easier than I thought it would be once I followed the instructions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Very nice review, Ian! Great photography! Despite the small flaws that you mention it clearly is an impressive figure.
Thank you very much, Ralf, I'm delighted you liked the photography. And it is a sweet figure. More photos coming up imminently.

Stryker2012 wrote:Good review, Ian. Very thorough and cool pics. I received my Deluxe set a couple days ago as well. In hand, I didn’t mind the sweaty hair piece as much as I thought I would, but I still prefer the standard hair piece. Changing out the arm was easier than I thought it would be once I followed the instructions.
Thank you very much, Mark, glad you liked the review and the photos. And that you like yours. I also didn't mind the sweaty hair piece. In some photos, it might even look better than the standard one, but maybe the angle and the eyes and the light make a difference from frame to frame. One of these days I might try out attaching the LED arm, but in principle I'm fine with the conventional one. I did experiment with some basic special effects in the additional photos I'm about to post.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part II: Comparison to DX07 outfit and additional photos

More here. Sorry, picture heavy.

First up, a quick comparison between the DX24/25 figure and the DX07 outfit. Note that this is more specifically the battle damaged version of the two DX07 outfits, and it is put on a kitbashed version of the character. In this instance, I used the Hot Toys Mandalorian Luke head sculpt (which is, I think, identical to the Bespin one) with the Hot Toys ROTJ Luke hair. Obviously, the battle damaged outfit is battle damaged, but even so one could note some differences in the cut and stitching, etc. DX07's pockets are all functional. I corrected the configuration of the items on the DX24 belt to be screen accurate (like DX07).

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx26
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx27
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx28

I also recreated a couple of reference shots with Luke and R2 sneaking around Cloud City. I think they worked out ok.

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx29
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx30
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx31
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx32

I couldn't find a good Dagobah background for a shot with Yoda, so now it looks like the vegetation behind them is on fire (it is not)...

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx33

Some basic special effects for the lightsaber...

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx34
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx35
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx36
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx37

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx39
Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin DX24 Review and Fun, updated Htdxxx38

I hope you liked it.

More here.

Diana

Diana
Oh YES!!!! Very Happy bounce Very Happy

Thank you for the review and the wonderful photos! Especially the last set looks really amazing! Vader and Luke crossing blades is my favorite because of how you posed Luke and have him looking up. That's probably how I'll display mine. Sweaty hair and all. ^^

I ordered mine from KG, so I'll have to wait a little while before I get it. The downside to saving a few bucks.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:Oh YES!!!! Very Happy bounce Very Happy

Thank you for the review and the wonderful photos! Especially the last set looks really amazing! Vader and Luke crossing blades is my favorite because of how you posed Luke and have him looking up. That's probably how I'll display mine. Sweaty hair and all. ^^

I ordered mine from KG, so I'll have to wait a little while before I get it. The downside to saving a few bucks.
Thank you very much Diana, I'm very glad you enjoyed it/them. I hope you love the set when you get it, as much as I do, or more. And great to hear you managed to save a few bucks through KG (of all places! -- if I recall they don't have a reputation for being particularly cheap).

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Great review! Not sure what you can do about the shoulders without cutting stitches from the sounds of it, I guess they're more concerned with getting it looking right rather than articulation and parts bashing but that's always been their mantra anyway. I've got the DX07 sort of...loose parts from TA years ago, gave him the battle damaged treatment including real hair and a beat up face, missing a hand and screaming while hanging on the antena thing with one arm, made my own Vader/Luke helmet and a customised SSC version for Dagoba chatting to Yoda in his little house while having a meal, the helmeted head is just sort of weirdly sitting next to them like 'talking point' lol.

davidd

davidd
Impressively thorough, detailed, and informative review! I appreciate the comparisons to other editions of similar figures. I always find your comparisons between the figure under review and the onscreen appearance of the character particularly interesting.

Your photos for this review are top tier, perhaps some of the best "review photos" you have done to date... and that's saying something!

It's a great-looking figure, too, and at "today's prices," mid-two-hundreds seems... if not reasonable, at least "normal" for a figure exhibiting this much screen accuracy with such a realistic head sculpt. I can't say I'm tempted to purchase the figure, but after reading this thorough review and looking at the photos, I'm feeling an urge to watch the Original Trilogy movies again.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Great review! Not sure what you can do about the shoulders without cutting stitches from the sounds of it, I guess they're more concerned with getting it looking right rather than articulation and parts bashing but that's always been their mantra anyway. I've got the DX07 sort of...loose parts from TA years ago, gave him the battle damaged treatment including real hair and a beat up face, missing a hand and screaming while hanging on the antena thing with one arm, made my own Vader/Luke helmet and a customised SSC version for Dagoba chatting to Yoda in his little house while having a meal, the helmeted head is just sort of weirdly sitting next to them like 'talking point' lol.
Thank you very much, glad you liked it, Alex. I could not pull off top to remove the padding without cutting stitches, so I have given up for the time being. I did make cuts into the padding, carefully avoiding damaging the outfit on top. Of course, I'm not nearly as brave or ingenious as you when it comes to customizing and kitbashing. Very true what you say about HT's mantra.
davidd wrote:Impressively thorough, detailed, and informative review! I appreciate the comparisons to other editions of similar figures. I always find your comparisons between the figure under review and the onscreen appearance of the character particularly interesting.

Your photos for this review are top tier, perhaps some of the best "review photos" you have done to date... and that's saying something!

It's a great-looking figure, too, and at "today's prices," mid-two-hundreds seems... if not reasonable, at least "normal" for a figure exhibiting this much screen accuracy with such a realistic head sculpt. I can't say I'm tempted to purchase the figure, but after reading this thorough review and looking at the photos, I'm feeling an urge to watch the Original Trilogy movies again.
Thank you very much, David, I'm so glad you liked it. Now that you've praised me for it, I am going to go back and put in a couple of links to Jeff's guest review on Michael Crawford/Captain Toy's site of the actual DX07 set, for any who want to check out the real thing. Smile If you do give in to the urge, enjoy our Original Trilogy watch. As for the set itself, it is not my objective to make anyone buy it, just keep them informed. Of course.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
More impressive shot and thorough review. I really appreciate how you do these with the backgrounds and everything. (Care to share some of those…? Very Happy ).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:More impressive shot and thorough review. I really appreciate how you do these with the backgrounds and everything. (Care to share some of those…? Very Happy ).
Glad you liked them, Mark. Of course, you let me know what you would like. Actually the photos I found online and used on my screen might be the easiest to share. The 3D or printed stuff I used might be more of a challenge.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Anything and everything you’re willing to share, it’s virtually impossible to find decent SW environments that don’t have interference from unwanted characters, etc.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice looking figure!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:Anything and everything you’re willing to share, it’s virtually impossible to find decent SW environments that don’t have interference from unwanted characters, etc.
I might have to send you downloaded stuff another way, but here are some linked images that I either used or considered using. Keep in mind, that these are mostly for screen display, so the resolution is not very high -- which might be ok, as the background ought to be less in focus than the characters in the foreground. Also, it depends on how large a screen you display it on, its resolution, glare, and the angle of the shot. Technically, my screen surface is taller than most of the figures, but with perspective when placing them in front of it often makes it difficult to show the whole figure (apart from the "ground" transition issue) -- that's why in most of these cases you don't see their feet on the floor. Much of this can be surmounted by printing the image at the desired size.
So here are some to start you with, I'd add more or email.

I haven't used these yet, but various backgrounds from interiors to exteriors, cockpits, bridges:
https://news.disney.com/star-wars-video-backgrounds-available

A bunch from ArtStation (if you want highest resolution images, you have to buy them, but the medium ones you can download might make do).
https://www.artstation.com/philipgilbert/store
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QzV0Jd (I used a bunch of these)

These are meant for 3.75-inch figures (and work great for them), but make do in a pinch. Download the pdf and use from there -- or I can provide extracted jpegs.
https://dioramaworkshop.com/tutorials-decals-bespin-darth-vaders-secret/

Wallpaperflare backgrounds, from Battlefront and other sources:

https://www.wallpaperflare.com/star-wars-star-wars-battlefront-2015-star-wars-battlefront-bespin-wallpaper-xbly/download

https://www.wallpaperflare.com/star-wars-star-wars-battlefront-ii-2017-death-star-wallpaper-gkvjh/download

https://www.wallpaperflare.com/star-wars-star-wars-battlefront-ii-2017-wallpaper-gkjwt/download

https://www.wallpaperflare.com/star-wars-desert-luke-skywalker-orange-stars-sunset-tatooine-star-wars-wallpaper-whyr/download

https://www.wallpaperflare.com/star-wars-sand-crawler-jawas-sand-people-tatooine-wallpaper-yhvvb/download

https://www.wallpaperflare.com/white-spaceship-hovering-above-rock-formation-wallpaper-star-wars-wallpaper-pblzq

BAMComix

BAMComix
Try using wetransfer, Ian, it's free and you can send up to 2gb.

https://wetransfer.com/

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Nice looking figure!
Thank you very much, glad you liked it (although I can only take credit for the review and photography).
BAMComix wrote:Try using wetransfer, Ian, it's free and you can send up to 2gb.

https://wetransfer.com/
Thank you, Dal, I know of wetransfer, been using it for years. That is how I usually send Mark heavy files. And that's what I plan on using for stuff that is not linked.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Excellent. Thanks for the links, Ian.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:Excellent. Thanks for the links, Ian.
You're very welcome, Mark.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
This looks really good, better than I was expecting, in fact. Thanks so much for the in-depth review and photos!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:This looks really good, better than I was expecting, in fact. Thanks so much for the in-depth review and photos!
Thank you very much, Sky, I'm glad you liked it/them.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Wow what a cool and extensive review! I always love your passion here, Ian. Smile

Great pics, especially the backdrops you used here. I like the comparison pics to the source. I agree, I think the outfit is a bit too clean and personally I think the sewing stitches look a bit too big on 1/6 to convince me. (Not sure it is possible here to go smaller?)

I'm not a fan of the hair but yeah most hot toys collectors prefer this over doll hair. Moveable eyes are cool, but not for everyone I know.

Allotropos

Allotropos
fantastic review !

I only bought parts from the older version but based on the comparison between old and new, combining the good from both into one would have made it the perfect piece.

I like the older (more streamline) boots compared with the newer bulkier pair but would take the skintone, head and hands from the new one which is far superior.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:This looks really good, better than I was expecting, in fact. Thanks so much for the in-depth review and photos!
Thank you very much, Sky, I'm glad you liked it/them.

Really appreciate the time and thought you put into your reviews.I love you I apologise if my replies to threads these days are a bit quick, I have a new job and I'm extremely busy. So if I don't respond right away, or if my comments are less in-depth than usual, that's why. ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Ovy

Ovy
Thorough work sir. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but as always, great review.

The set ups, dioramas (dioramae?) and backdrops work really well to catch the atmosphere. The 'Luke, it's a trap!' scene catches the atmosphere really well.

The orange underlight of the base really ties the room together. Bespin has a really beautiful and timeless light design. I think it's important to have that kind of light available on display, as we mostly see this rendition of the character in those lighting conditions.
The overall atmosphere of the scene scared me as a little kid.

I like that you make the beautiful stitching of the jacket's lower back part shine in the last photo.

You wrote about the possibility for cross eyed look, but sadly the picture of a cross eyed Luke you surely attached is not showing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum