OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How many did you end up with?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:45 pm

JulietD

Stryker2012 wrote:I could go on and on, but I’m sure I’ve already bored folks with this wall of text.

I read every word was not bored one iota! It's nice to hear how others ended up with their collections.

27How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:51 pm

DarthJ

Zes wrote:
I have one figure displayed nude only because it would be a waste of money to put clothes on the body due to how much I paid for it.

I recommend buying your figure a sheer (laced) nightrobe from one of the fashion dolls and draping it loosely so that most of her body will still be visible. It adds "something" to a plain nude figure. It's a photographers trick.

28How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:19 am

Zes

DarthJ wrote:
Zes wrote:
I have one figure displayed nude only because it would be a waste of money to put clothes on the body due to how much I paid for it.

I recommend buying your figure a sheer (laced) nightrobe from one of the fashion dolls and draping it loosely so that most of her body will still be visible. It adds "something" to a plain nude figure. It's a photographers trick.

Oh, that's a pretty neat idea! I might try that when I buy another one of those expensive bodies.

29How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:44 pm

Diana

I always keep the spare parts in their respective boxes to make sure I don't lose track and protect the value of the complete box set in case I want to ever sell it. So I don't tend to end up with figures made from parts. Having said that...

I ripped the pants of The Explorer, so her stuff was fair game.
  1. Her pants and bow went to my archer (YM Toys Ming) and
  2. her top went to my bass player (with KT010).
  3. I tried out a cute new crop top on an S33, which is a body I don't particularly like, but somehow it worked and with that blonde grungy Kimi Toys head (kt009) she turned into a moody little tall person, so she is with my archer now. Them and Painkiller Jane are a team. Smile
  4. I could also never really shake that Jessica Jones/S29 combo (see avatar), so that head ended up on the TBL Nancy body. Not much of a kitbash, but I like it. (The original head is too sexy and doesn't go well with the group.)
  5. I tried some black clothes on my S06, gave her a couple of samurai swords, and none other than the original long black haired YMToys Xiu made that look complete. I didn't really intend to keep her, but she has grown on me and dismantling her would feel completely wrong. ^^
  6. -9.: Works STILL in progress. The actual project of four characters that are my own. I have waay too many heads and stuff that I initially bought for one of these and then replaced or deemed unworthy. I've lived in limbo all year, but I expect to settle down again by the end of the year and then I hope to set up station and work on these figures again.  bounce

30How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Thu Aug 08, 2024 4:38 pm

ukshaun

ukshaun
100+

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

31How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:12 pm

Spartan06

Spartan06
JulietD wrote:
Stryker2012 wrote:I could go on and on, but I’m sure I’ve already bored folks with this wall of text.

I read every word was not bored one iota! It's nice to hear how others ended up with their collections.

I agree!  That was a very interesting read.  I see a lot of similarities with many of the above posts to my experience so far.  

I started out in 1/6 scale by looking for modern military figures and became enamored with the VeryCool ‘tactical teases’ and specifically with Ms. Spetsnaz.  Not having any experience ordering from China or even eBay, I was hesitant to pay those prices and possibly taxes or shipping.  I was able to find and ordered a TBL Spartan Commander on Amazon.  I too was immediately impressed with the realism and detail of the TBL figures and seamless bodies, so I “test ordered” an S22A from GianToy.  That was delivered in about two weeks without a hitch, so I followed up by ordering the Red Wings Sniper figure from Damtoys.

There weren't any VeryCool figures available, so I began to scratch build my own figures.  Being an accountant by nature, I started an Excel spreadsheet to plan my purchases of figures, bodies and loose parts. Initially I planned for seven scratch-built and five boxed figures (nicknamed the "Dirty Dozen”). If only I had stopped there, but I found this forum, and I hit the New Products section regularly.  I can’t seem to reconcile my head sculpt collection with the bodies on hand and keep ordering both.

Now I’m completely lost on all the parts I have, but the last update of the Dirty Dozen (July 20, 2023) shows parts and bodies for fifteen scratch-built characters and six boxed figures with one Damtoys soldier on preorder.  Uh, that’s twenty-two not the planned twelve.  The mix is fifteen girls and seven guys to keep them in line – LOL.

My other genres are girls with guns (four armed schoolgirls and one boxed figure), lady warriors (parts for two scratch builds and four boxed figures), movie/anime’/game girls (five scratch builds and five boxed figures) with four more boxed figures on pre-order.  That’s a total of eighteen and I’m thinking about four more purchases and pre-orders.  These things really ought to come with an addiction warning!

As for displaying them nude, some are just too pretty to cover up with clothes, like Jessica Alba built on an S23B.  I just haven’t been able to pull on her Spiderwoman costume yet.  On another one, I was having trouble pulling her combat shorts over her bubble butt, so I left them at half-mast, posed her like she is getting dressed, and plan to use her in a safe house or barracks scene.  My wife didn’t care for that one, but she overlooked Starman’s Chun Li standing around with nothing on but her boots and hair ribbons for a few months (covering up with her hands), while I was planning on changing out her outfit.

Hopefully, this ramble isn’t too long, but I enjoy reading everyone's shared experiences.

32How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:23 am

DarthJ

Quote : As for displaying them nude, some are just too pretty to cover up with clothes,

Actually, if you want your figures to last you have to leave them unclothed and standing straight. Dark clothing may leave stains, too tight clothing may leave pressure marks and bending them will cause wear & tear to the skin.

I have collected a plastic box full of flimsy nightrobes and négligés in soft colours and that's all they need.

33How many did you end up with? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many did you end up with? Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:56 am

French

French
Stryker2012 wrote:I still have a LOT. Some that have never been on display (like the early Six Million Dollar Man, Lone Ranger & Silver, early Sideshow James Bond, can’t remember who made them but Steed & Mrs. peel from The Avengers TV show, Ralphie & The Old Man from A Christmas Story). When I got back into collecting thanks to HT’s Selina Kyle/Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) and Black Widow from The Avengers I went absolutely crazy due to how super real these things had become. I about lost my mind when I saw the Hot Stuff and TBLeague (Phicen at the time) bodies; I never thought I’d see the day that seamless, posable bodies would be a thing, and I completely jumped the shark. I bought several of those early sets and bodies from Phicen (sadly with the extremely fragile plastic skeletons) and made many (too many) “sexy girls”, and even more when they came out with the steel skeleton bodies, and then the male bodies. I was so enamored of the technology and “realism”, I felt it was a shame to cover them up with too much clothing. As time has gone on, I still buy TBL bodies and sets, but I’m not afraid to cover them up (like for my Old West figures), just because 1. It wouldn’t be practical for them to be running around half naked and 2. They still have better articulation  than most of the bodies on the market (though World Box is certainly changing that). I also don’t change outfits on my seamless figures. So I have bought multiple bodies for some characters just so they can have different outfits — the fact it’s an absolute pain in the ass to put clothes on these seamless figures has a lot to do with that.

As far as displaying them naked, I have a few (3 rotting “zombie” girls for the Death Dealer, one naked Arnold Schwarzenegger “boy toy” that I gave to Lady Death — to make it fair — and a Dejah Thoris since that is how she is described in the books, as are all the other humanoid characters including John Carter — who I should probably get around to making at some point). 

My collection is all over the place to say the least, and due to space issues, a large chunk are in storage containers (I just can’t bring myself to part with most stuff — partly due to the headache of selling, I don’t keep the boxes, so all the extra bits are in storage bags, I don’t have the patience to search SleazeBay for “current value” — I’m a firm believer in once you take it out of the box it should lose some value, not gain — like buying a new car: once it leaves the lot it’s already lost value — and I don’t want to screw other collectors over to make a massive profit; it’s just not who I am. The few things I have sold to other collectors, I like to think I gave a fair price too — there are some here who can correct me if they feel I’m wrong).

I tried in the beginning to keep my collection to only getting figures that (despite perhaps having a mask or helmet) came with an unmasked head sculpt; that went by the wayside thanks in large part to all the many cool Star Wars figures. So my collection grew even larger once I thru that rule out. And don’t get me started on “double dipping” (or in some cases triple, quadruple dipping — for example I have 5 different Black Widows [or will once the Artisan IM2 version arrives], and 3 different Scarlet Witch figures; I have the SS General Grievous, but didn’t hesitate to PO the HT version). Droids, Clones, and Sith started the trend toward moving away from only unmasked head characters.

I could go on and on, but I’m sure I’ve already bored folks with this wall of text.

I find what you're saying interesting.
It's true that if you take a "beautiful body" and hide it with clothes, you might as well buy a cheaper one that will do the trick.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum