OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
I've been waiting years for this to be released! Why didn't I build my own? Well I have done a scratch built custom opening one from the front and it involved a lot of resin casting and electronics (this is my MK2 armour reveal way before HT did their Unleashed figure years back). Since the moulds are long gone (I think I was just using latex and tape back then!) I didn't feel like doing it all again although this might have been easier since it's just surface detail and not entire chunks of inner armour, basically, been there, done that sort of... but really like the look of this version too! Wink
I did discover a QC problem though which was a pain to fix as the metal hinge did not like super glue after having liked it too much before, translation: hinge was super glued shut from the factory (the one on the other side was too but I managed to pop that loose with a tiny screwdriver) but after I cleaned it with acetone etc.. it didn't want to glue back in place or to the part it articulated, I had to use my old trick of mixing glues to get that to work but that meant removing it completely. Anyway that's what all the odd pictures of hinges are about.
Aside from that, lovely figure! It does have some diecast, the hinges for a start! And some panels etc.. even the light up base seems to have a metal grill in it which is heavier than I expected and nearly scuppered my plans for a rotating system. Speaking of which, I'd always planed to make a rotating base with a usb power supply I just wasn't sure how I could do it without the wires getting torn up as they got twisted. I came up with various ideas like magnets, metal rings and such to act as circular contacts operating similarly to a 'lazy susan' turntable. I was going to make these out of metal washers soldered to wires but then I discovered this kind of joint already exists and is called an electrical slip joint used in robotics and on CCTV cameras, dirt cheap from China on eBay, so that saved a lot of work! Ignore the cut outs in the plastic parts of the motorised turntable, I was trying to be clever and fit it inside the actual HT base but since I never measure anything, it didn't fit! Embarassed No problem though, I just put it underneath and hoped the extra weight of the base's bottom wouldn't be too much for the motor, as you can see in the videos, it wasn't, works great!

ALL PARTS LOCK TOGETHER CLOSED WITH MAGNETS WHICH IS SUPER NEAT AND A CLASSY TOUCH CREATING PERFECT ALIGNMENT TOO!

Boxed pics

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 3uHuSjB

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System YYmuzyg

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System LSg2wzb

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System XD1sfy5

Missile pods

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System N0Zgl5C

Inner and outer base sections

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 9pXXzB8

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System WHqE7TJ

USB C powered

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System WDESbO1

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 5rlGqgH

Battery compartment isn't set up for use, I guess they changed their minds since this is a brand new mould.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System OHB8LfS

I guess I could have saved myself a lot of work just wiring up the battery case but that wasn't what I wanted!

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 8kPPIfg

Hinge issues, stuck hinge is meant to be attached to the small red rectangle at the top, it's not the big obvious hinge in the pic below.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System DTezPIo

Still glued shut and to the abdomen armour, it's meant to pivot the lower back armour open and closed.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System A2iB7gP

Left part detached due to stuck hinge causing it to 'break' off/ come unglued.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System A7YcRQM

Part on the right in place as it should be

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System QX2scU5

Hinge broken loose

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System TaDs6EB

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System DN90ln4

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System RE6dWWq

The hinge is what allows the lower back armour to open and close fully

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System RAAtRXT

Lube only the pivot pin to prevent a repeat of the problem

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System W3saCHY

So many pieces of armour come into play and have to be carefully moved in a certain order and a certain way, some like the kidney armour is spring loaded.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System LU25qwz

Started refusing to glue at this point I think, no oil on the contact tabs.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System GpydCbV

Yup, had to remove the hinge completely from the armour to experiment with glue mixes and attach it to the pivoting armour part first before reattaching it to the abdomen armour... everyone fallen asleep yet? Twisted Evil

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System RK0m0MR

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System BUlDhM4

I'm only documenting this as it's possibly a common factory QC issue, HT are always being accused of not using enough glue (especially on magnets) but they seem to have over compensated for the hinges, it's a production process learning curve as they get more ambitious with their engineering and material choices; no doubt looking at 3rd party Transformers for solutions to more complex articulation engineering but not being told which glues are used in the process.

Anyway.. enough of that, here's pics of the actual figure after I fixed that little QC issue.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System CI7GhTP

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System OhmsPYD

As standard out of the box with just the inner base

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System VJkaGe5

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System Lh3BgRm

External lights off, then on etc.. so you can hopefully see the details and light up effects

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System HDPwlys

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 1CeKkXM

Lots of lovely circuit like detail with exoskeleton parts.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 4xmu75w

The arms can open up further on the inner side but then you need to fold the shoulder blade parts back in a bit so it's give and take.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System VdBvATf

The lights in the lower legs are a bit too blatantly blocking the path to fit a person in but behind the calves are switches and another USB port if you don't want to use a base at all and still light it up so a fair compromise.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System IEIUzs7

You have to remove a magnetically attached heel to get access to the USB port on the figure/armour. Not shown here.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System KdR7VYz

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System TCgDc8w

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System UB0cCue

It's nice how some blue light bleeds through to the front via the hinged parts, it doesn't look like cheap thin material as they are sharp lines

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System Zt2PKaZ

Of course it's also great that the eyes and arc reactor light up too. There are also movable chest plates that I forget to close when showing the armour in the closed positions, sorry about that!

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System KQIt9QQ

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System G5RWgb3

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System LyUyEgu

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System LHjCcSK

The chest panel I forget to close later..

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System W7LIdET

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System CRA5g91

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System CQ3ldDs

Obviously you can see more detail this way

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System S4nf46k

With external base/gantry added

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System OOYoO6w

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System NLlf0Nk

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System P2rNMul

Closed up with those really cool magnets locking parts in place.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System U2boPux

Still leaks a bit of light but I think it adds a cool 'alive' look to it.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System ZJwpRLe

A sort of standby look.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 3pwAOXA

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System HMtdFV0

Yup, forgot those chest panels!

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System Zcs7hlT

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System C3UURnp

Now they're closed but no power to the display.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System M5wNC2I

Next... making the turntable light up base...

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Making the turntable

The guts of everything

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System IH42pl8

Don't need or want this heavy glass top

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System DnGeTWy

Ignore the cut-outs, they were to let light through it it were inside the HT base but that didn't work as mentioned before, they still might help with weight reduction but I doubt it...

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System FkCa21O

My plans to build a spinning connector before I knew they even existed lol!

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System AqfhzP0

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System QIvic1k

Going to need a bigger hole in the centre which meant temporarily removing the central LED.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 5GxNP2h

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System U9RH6Jx

Power socket for USB and power switch.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System EuzpcIp

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System N7T7aaO

Basic external setup design.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System EuOmenK

And weeks later all the way from China, the electronic slip joint I'd just recently discovered actually exists lol! Embarassed

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System G8pd0Xs

Allows the sections of wires to spin freely and independently so the don't ever get twisted or snagged.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System PdX9fGl

Make sure to glue it the correct way around!

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System CQXxYNh

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System MxeQotd

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 9zRh7sk

Ugly but works and hidden, a lot of plastic struts underneath for no apparent reason,

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System X18Pxng

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System WWFZ4ZK

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System Fgt3dAj

Yeah, a lot of tiny soldering joints needed..

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System U6Y68io

The Chinese wire is a bugger to to solder even after cleaning the exposed metal.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System 4xacD0o

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System JzttIXn

Just cut off the extra wires, keeping them even rolled up in shrink wrap, they still get in the way.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System OPHMfsw

Transferred the power inlet and switch to the bottom base from the top base.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System NPvK8f4

That yellow monstrosity just got in the way so chop the extra wires off this side too

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System BBvED4l

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System JEmuFoW

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System FG3ANR8

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System XQ6xDrb

Doesn't look great but it works and I can access the wires if I need too plus you can't see it, it's the bottom!

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System UcGT7bO

The LED's and power wires to the figure need to be wired in with the motor too all powered by the same USB.

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System Bfjdh1l

VIDEO OF FIRST TIME USING IT

VIDEO OF IT WORKING IN MY COLLECTION

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Holy (censored)! You, Sir, are a madman! Real working turntable! Sorry to hear about all the QC issues, but you managed to fix them at least. Fantastic job all around. Wow!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Hot Toys Open (& Closing) Light Up IM MK7 Armour W/ My Custom Rotating Base System Ed116210

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very impressive figure and such effective lighting effects. I am glad you were able to identify and ultimately resolve the glued hinge problem. One really expects better of Hot Toys. Glad you got the base to rotate successfully, and the display amid your collection looks like an epic slow-motion bit from a heroic fight scene.

csyeung

csyeung
Oh wow, thanks for all the extensive photos of the build. Very cool to see the process! I commend you,sir!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2012 wrote:Holy (censored)! You, Sir, are a madman! Real working turntable! Sorry to hear about all the QC issues, but you managed to fix them at least. Fantastic job all around. Wow!

GubernatorFan wrote:Very impressive figure and such effective lighting effects. I am glad you were able to identify and ultimately resolve the glued hinge problem. One really expects better of Hot Toys. Glad you got the base to rotate successfully, and the display amid your collection looks like an epic slow-motion bit from a heroic fight scene.

csyeung wrote:Oh wow, thanks for all the extensive photos of the build. Very cool to see the process! I commend you,sir!

Thank you guys! I'm not getting notifications of replies to this thread oddly so sorry for the delayed response. It wasn't that hard to do, it just took a bit of figuring out (pun?).
I'll be boring you all to death with many more HT IM purchases as a lot of 2nd hand stuff has come to market and is going 'cheap' on eBay, roughly 1/2 price of what they were asking before so my credit card now hates me or loves me for the interest it'll be making! LOL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum