OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

21ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Great review,

The figure, not great at all. The head is bland, very generic and couldn't be further from Lena Headey if it tried. (I did a 3D head of her in Poser, so I have studied her likeness in great detail) The body is also wrong, too busty for Lena. Basically, what you have here is a cosplayer that wouldn't win any prizes. Star Ace do look to be going downhill. I liked their Bill Nighy figure, but, none of the others has really blown me away.

Here's my Poser head:

ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Txr6ctE

CHEERS!

22ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:12 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
That's a very cool creation, Roger. You have skills. Someone else mentioned the body type mismatch too, when they looked at my photos. I hadn't thought of that.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

23ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 am

Allotropos

I wonder what Lena Headey thinks of the actual release.

24ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
If she's anything like Cersei the retribution will be swift and brutal!

25ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 am

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
I like reviews of figures that I'm sure I'm going to get (because they're interesting and they build anticipation).  And I like reviews of figures I already know I wouldn't get (because it lets me enjoy that figure vicariously and without spending).  But I really, really appreciate good reviews of figures where I'm borderline, and this is one.

The review is well written and it gets to all the questions I would want answered.  It seems fair, and if anything, maybe slightly too charitable.  This is really a very simple figure, generic body, plain outfit, not many accessories -- so to be appealing, they had to get everything perfect.  Bluntly, they didn't achieve that.

No one's going to get this one to customise Cersei with.  Maybe it will work the other way and there will eventually be a ThreeZero Cersei that we could make Gorgo with.  I suppose this outfit would be passable for that purpose but again, not perfect.  The review informed me and saved me money as she might otherwise have been an impulse purchase.

26ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

If I were so inclined, I could export that head I did as an .obj so it could be 3D printed. It doesn't have any textural detail though as they were maps overlaid onto it in Poser. I guess, if anyone with ZBrush wanted to, they could add in the missing detail.

Just a thought.......

CHEERS!

27ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glad you liked the review, MBAM! Just telling it like it is. Decent figure in itself, but not quite achieving what it should have achieved.
Roger, if you ever do make your model 3D printable, maybe make it bald so that people can glue hair on top of it. Smile

28ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:38 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That wouldn't be a problem, the hair was 3rd party and not a part of the model.

CHEERS!

29ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for pointing me over here, GF! It's a very fair review, with excellent photos and posing as usual.

I agree that price is ridiculous for this figure.

The best thing I can say for it from my perspective is that I appreciate the smaller bust on this body. ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

30ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:37 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for pointing me over here, GF! It's a very fair review, with excellent photos and posing as usual. I agree that price is ridiculous for this figure. The best thing I can say for it from my perspective is that I appreciate the smaller bust on this body. ;p

Thank you! Silver linings... in that sense they were relatively accurate!

31ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:40 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for pointing me over here, GF! It's a very fair review, with excellent photos and posing as usual. I agree that price is ridiculous for this figure. The best thing I can say for it from my perspective is that I appreciate the smaller bust on this body. ;p

Thank you! Silver linings... in that sense they were relatively accurate!

Haha, indeed.

I don't know WHAT Star Ace's problem is, but they seem to struggle with a lot of likenesses...

32ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I think it has a lot to do with poor casting and cheap production in a bad factory.

CHEERS!

33ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:39 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Some of their output has been so bad I've gotten second-hand embarrassment just looking at it...

34ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I know what you mean, I've seen the full horror of the teenage Hermione up close! Their Dracula wasn't bad, but, I didn't want to pay what they were asking for him.

CHEERS!

35ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:40 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Here's another view of my old Poser one, just so you can be reminded what she should look like.

ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 FgNX4SO

I did that on relatively simple software. If ZBrush wasn't so damned expensive I'd have a crack with that.

CHEERS!

36ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:36 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very pretty, Roger!

And lol, yes, the infamous Hermione ...

37ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
I know what you mean, I've seen the full horror of the teenage Hermione up close! Their Dracula wasn't bad, but, I didn't want to pay what they were asking for him.

CHEERS!

That one should have also come with a third head sculpt with mouth closed. As it is, the two heads are too scene specific and stylized.

And teen Hermione.. Oh, the horror!!

38ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:32 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:

That one should have also come with a third head sculpt with mouth closed. As it is, the two heads are too scene specific and stylized.

Completely agree, Stryker! I wish it had come with a neutral head as well...would have loved to have paid homage to Sir Chris with that one.

And lol, is there a Hall of Fame (or Shame?) for 'Worst 1/6 headsculpts ever'?? Razz

39ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:04 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:

I agree!

Have you seen the Pegasus resin kit also from Scars of Dracula!? 1/6 and it does look very impressive albeit a tad pricey.

CHEERS!

40ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

I agree!

Have you seen the Pegasus resin kit also from Scars of Dracula!? 1/6 and it does look very impressive albeit a tad pricey.

CHEERS!

Yes. If the SA version had come with a sculpt like that, I would have gotten it. But my painting skills aren’t that great for real people, so I’d never be able to do that model justice.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 C8485110

41ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Same here. The headsculpts on that resin kit are indeed miles better than the Star Ace versions. But I personally prefer to have articulated figures in 1/6 scale, as I find them more satisfactory than a static statue, however beautifully sculpted and/or painted.

Apologies also to GF for going off topic in his review thread.... perhaps there should be a 'headsculpts that could have been done better' type thread for this sort of thing..

42ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
skywalkersaga wrote:And lol, is there a Hall of Fame (or Shame?) for 'Worst 1/6 headsculpts ever'?? Razz

We need one of those. Anyone want to start off a "Worst Headsculpt" thread? There have been some shockers over the years.

43ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 Empty Re: Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:And lol, is there a Hall of Fame (or Shame?) for 'Worst 1/6 headsculpts ever'?? Razz

We need one of those. Anyone want to start off a "Worst Headsculpt" thread? There have been some shockers over the years.

I think in order to do that, it might have to go by year. Compared to today’s standards, the head sculpts we thought were acceptable ten years ago, look like garbage. But if it was kept within the last 3-4 years, the judging might be a little easier. Teen Hermione, for example, would have sucked ten years ago, maybe not 15 years ago — by today’s standards, it never should have left the factory floor.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

ancient - Product Review Star Ace Queen Gorgo - Page 2 C8485110

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum