OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

21NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:47 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father

Remember how I said that the scales of the accessories are all over the place? Well, it turns out that the 3D glasses are 1/3 scale! I put them on my Lugosi Dracula and they fit perfectly!

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Y5FW9tK

LOL! Go figure!

CHEERS!

22NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:41 am

Stryker2011

Founding Father
1/3! Why would they do that? How hard would it have been to make them in the proper scale...

I would think they’d be fairly easy to make yourself correctly with two sheets of blue and red film and some poster board.

23NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:13 am

skywalkersaga

Well they look good on Bela Lugosi, lol. Very Happy

24NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:1/3! Why would they do that? How hard would it have been to make them in the proper scale...

I would think they’d be fairly easy to make yourself correctly with two sheets of blue and red film and some poster board.

Perhaps it was as small as they could go and still have them functional and be mass produced. They don't look too bad on the Gremlin. The 1/1 ones on my TOTS only just fit.

CHEERS!

25NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Well they look good on Bela Lugosi, lol. Very Happy

Yeah, the shades that come with the Gamer look about the same size, he'd look really cool in them!

CHEERS!

26NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:25 pm

Peaches

Peaches
LOL, the popcorn bags are so funny Very Happy

27NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:58 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I know, that's my favourite look from that scene. I'm hoping they make an accessory pack for the choir that come to Mrs Deagle's house.

CHEERS!

28NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Picked up Stripe today, twice! Bought and paid for one I thought had good teeth, left with it, sat down moments later to look at it and noticed a big paint smear on one ear! Took it back and swapped it for the next best one they had. I've sorted his joints out and have left him to stand overnight. I really like him now, he looks so badass! Oh, yeah, I also bought a back up Gremlin, but he's staying boxed till I need him.

29NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:17 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Sounds like a good idea. It really is too bad NECA doesn't just make them right at the on-set. I guess mass-production, and little to no quality control, is to blame, but still... you wouldn't think EVERY one has to be modified in order to be useable. I don't remember all these types of problems with any of the toys I had as a kid, and we were pretty rough on things back in the day. (I remember using the Star Trek Phaser -- the ones that shot those little plastic discs -- on my 3.75" Star Wars figures -- like target practice; never a smudge, break, or nick, or anything -- despite knocking them off of stuff to the floor -- Good times!! Very Happy )

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 C8485110

30NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:13 pm

scalawag

scalawag
These look great, but a shame the quality control seems a bit off with the paint and joints. You would think with what you pay for these things these days they would be near perfect every time.

Paul

31NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yeah, I think NECA overproduced these thinking there would be a massive demand. All the other Ultimates I've had needed nothing doing to them. It'll take work to get them to where I'm happy, but it's something I'm looking forward to doing. The other thing is, I have their creator on hand if I ever need any advice.

CHEERS!

32NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:53 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
You know, the more of these I get, the more I come to realise that the paint apps on them are DIRE!! Go and look again at the close up pics I took. I know! And I said mine were good ones! Another thing I noticed was that, where NECA put the ear hinges, is actually more part of the head than it is the inner pale part of the ear. With more careful paint they could have hidden the joint and not had to worry about the paint rub people have complained about because it would have been the plastic colour anyway.

On reflection, these are among the worst production paint apps on figures I've seen. Repainting them is going to be a larger task that I anticipated, but, I'm going to bite the bullet as I want these Gremlins to be the critters I know and love. Good job in that respect that the Gamer comes out in May, which is when I plan to move, so they can be the first job I do when I get set up again.

CHEERS!

33NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:48 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

So, you want to see Mr Stripe, well alrighty then:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 GEk5z6i

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 D7YQ1Ll

Eek! Yep, got my work cut out there!

Here's his Stripe:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 WXjbC3d

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 QLWOEnV

It's weird how that loose bit of fabric just hangs down the back, but, I think it was the only way they could add length to his Stripe without hampering articulation.

His accessories:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 BNqVGbb

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Ebv2ltc

The skateboard is nice, but, I don't trust him on it so it's staying where it is.

Hilarious labels on the chainsaw:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 XmuuQhO

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 StUQ6JR

Here he is holding it:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 5igpAND

He fell over straight afterwards! It makes him so top heavy, I may not attempt to pose him like that long term even with a stand. He's holding the saw blade right now, but, it only delicately balances in his hand and will fall out if I move him to take any pics.

The body is identical with all the same articulation issues. As you can see, the paint needs a lot of work, which I do hope I can take on....

CHEERS!

34NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:38 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Here's how Stripe should have looked, big difference!

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 AQtwKoI

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 A17kg68

One for my reference I think.....

CHEERS!

35NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks like he needs a little work. Love the chainsaw. The Spike hair seems lazy, but I'm sure you'll get him worked out.

36NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yeah, and that's the part I don't get. They produce numerous immaculate Pennywise, Freddy and Chucky and Predators and yet seemingly less complicated jobs like the Gremlins don't get the same treatment. Oddly, I have yet to see anyone defending what NECA have done.

It's one of those 'this or nothing' deals that people seem to want to wear. It's my love of the subject that keeps me from wanting to. Though it sometimes might not sound like it, I don't consider myself a hater. I love the hobby, it's what we have to go through sometimes to enjoy it that I don't like.

CHEERS!

37NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:18 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Check out my desktop, had to be done!

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 P9HjoON

CHEERS!

38NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:24 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's excellent! Very Happy

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

39NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yeah, it surprised me how well the icons lined up, that was a leftover from the previous Stranger Things wallpaper.

CHEERS!

40NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's a cool desktop picture. My God, man. Haven't you ever heard of folders to hide all that stuff?!! Wink

41NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Some of them are shortcuts to folders, but, the majority are shortcuts to programs! Mine is light compared to some I've seen. I can find stuff when I have icons.

CHEERS!

42NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
Some of them are shortcuts to folders, but, the majority are shortcuts to programs! Mine is light compared to some I've seen. I can find stuff when I have icons.

CHEERS!

My OCD wouldn't be able to handle it. I have to have sub-folders of sub-folders to hide most stuff. I'd go nuts with all that to be honest (as if I'm not already nuts...). This is what my desktop looks like, and even the bar on the left sometimes makes me feel tense:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Screen10

43NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:12 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Hmmm, I can see why you wouldn't want to cover her up! That's a Mac and they work slightly differently to PC's running Windows. What you see on my desktop is pretty standard for Windows. I'm happy with it and it does what I want it to. I guess it depends on what you've always been used to.

CHEERS!

44NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:17 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It’s ok, Roger , my windows desktop is pretty ‘cluttered’ as well — I like to have everything immediately accessible ! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

45NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:22 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Had a little trawl around last night, and I think I can see why NECA would think their current paintjob is acceptable for a production Gremlin. Look at this one:

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Rh2tGs2

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 XVDK10X

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 1kXFeaC

Look at the top of his head, yeah, very much like what you get on the figure. The thing is, although it's screen used, this is very much a background puppet, the kind that was jumping up and down at the back of the cinema. This is very far from being a hero puppet, the ones on the front row or the ones outside Mrs Deagle's.

I suppose it depends on what you want or expect, but, really, this is Gremlins! The ones we all loved were the hero puppets, the ones that filled the screen. At the end of the day, it's these guys you want on your shelf, not the ones you only saw for less than a second.

I guess others characters have had to be better as they were always front and centre and were scrutinised more. Still, you want a cult character to look like one, don't you!?

CHEERS!

46NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, that’s odd that they would go with the fill-in puppets. That would be like using the junky crowd scene masks worn by the extras in the originals Planet of the Apes as the example, instead of the 8-hour long makeups worn by the main actors, to make figures. I understand your frustration.

47NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Indeed,

I got the figure stands today. The silly courier left them in our shed, but I was in. Their tracking is so bad you have no idea anyone is even coming or when!

I found that the peg holes on the Gremlin feet are very tight. On the first Gremlin, I cracked the stand and accidentally freed the torso that I'd glued. I had to turn the stand round and place the peg in the other foot to get him to stand! He's ok now I suppose, I might swap him for either the Gamer or the back up one as the Gamer will be sitting or kneeling and less reliant on the legs or torso. The other Gremlins are fine.

Stripe fared best as I can now stand him up holding the chainsaw. I am worried the weight of it will make the torso droop over time, but he's good for now.

NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Ki0gQQf

CHEERS!

EDIT:

Ended up having to ditch the chainsaw, it was messing up his legs too much. Had to turn the stand round to get him back up again and cracked the stand getting the foot in again. Trouble is, if you try and widen the hole, you may do it too much and then it would never stand!

Stripe is back in his saw blade pose now.

48NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Rasufrassin' Gremlins!

I tried to to replace the Card Player with my back up Gremlin. It was when studying the joints on the back up that I made an interesting discovery, he has 2 left arms!! I know, that's nuts! It has happened on one other I've seen. The arm sort of worked, but, even with a hand swap, it couldn't hold much. A leg was also a bit wonky, so I glued the offending joint. The other hand was a bit rubbish as well.

For some weird reason, after being off the stand, the original Card Player sorted himself out. I re-glued his torso and he seems to stay on the stand well enough now. I then thought what I could do with the back up. Popcorn Bags had odd looking legs, even though he stood. The one in the movie didn't hold anything in his hands, he just sat there laughing and waving his hands. Popcorn Bags could hold the cola really well, and in the movie it's Propeller Hat that is holding it. So the back up has now become Popcorn Bags and the old Popcorn Bags will become Propeller Hat when I get the Gamer.

What I will do now is leave them all the hell alone till I box them up for the move. Sounds like a plan!

CHEERS!

49NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost - Page 2 Empty Re: NECA Ultimate Gremlin Megapost Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It sounds like you got it sorted, but the lack of QC on this franchise seems pretty harsh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum