OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OSF Member Introductions . . .

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 30  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 30]

21OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:06 pm

scalawag

Hi I am scalawag, also known as Paul.

I am 48, and live in Eastbourne East Sussex in the UK.  I was a CBT therapist for 25 years but retired 3 years ago due to ill health, so now I do paperwork for an Auto Motive engineer.

I have 40 od years of model making behind me, ranging from Model Railways to 120mm figures and of course 1/6 scale figures.

I got into 1/6 scale stuff from actually doing another hobby of mine, 1/16 scale RC tanks.  I saw 1/6 RC tanks at some of the events I went to with my smaller rc tanks and liked what I saw.  I didn't want to get into the RC side of it, but I did start collecting 1/6 figures.  To start with that was just modern military type figures, but then I also started to bash and collect WWII Deutches Afrika Korps figures and static vehicles.
I have also been a pretty much life long Star Wars fan and had my interest re ignited when I went to see Rogue One, so of course I now also have a growing collection of 1/6 Star Wars characters too.

Great to meet everyone here, and heres to the future Wink

22OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Welcome aboard, Scalawag. Nice to see more and more familiar “names” joining the fray.

23OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:06 pm

ReverendSpooky

DeltaForceChung wrote:HELL YEAH!

HARD liquor and 1:6 figures!

You can't get better than that.

Then again . . . naked women serving hard liquor and 1:6 figures!

BRING IT ON!

[smiley]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/smiley]

Yeah, 1st day and I’m already getting whiskey suggestions. This may just be the superior forum....

Sent from Topic'it App

http://reverendspooky.com

24OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:58 pm

ZombieKev

Hi All,

I've been in this hobby since seeing the the 21st Century Toys Armed Terrorist figure way back in the '90s. Not sure why it drew me, maybe something about how unusual it was for a figure back then. I think of myself primarily as a kitbasher and customizer, but the stupid amount of money I spend on MIB figures suggests I'm just kidding myself. I have a tendency to get excited about a custom project, spend lots of time planning it out, figuring out solutions, and hunting for the raw parts, then promptly lose interest once everything is ready to go. I guess I enjoy the creative part and the hunt more than the execution. Anyways, I'm into all sorts of figures, but primarily ones based on pop culture (movies, comics, sci-fi, etc) and modern military.

I hope this is the start of a successful and popular home for 1/6 on the web!

25OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Spyder

Spyder
Glad to see some familiar names here. I've been collecting 1/6 and other toys for a very long time. I also do quite a bit of customizing. I like all genre and subject matter that has to do with one sixth. I've lately been doing some western stuff.
I can't wait to see how this forum grows. Oh, and yes I'm pissed about getting locked out of OSW!

26OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
More familiar folks. Welcome aboard, Gents.

27OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
dadrab wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:... & whiskey.

You've got to try a bottle of this...if you haven't already.

Smooth as silk with a wonderful finish.

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Screen_Shot_2017-07-27_at_1.41.30_PM

DeltaForceChung wrote:HELL YEAH!

HARD liquor and 1:6 figures!

You can't get better than that.

Then again . . . naked women serving hard liquor and 1:6 figures!

BRING IT ON!

Wink

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Img-0674res_orig

DFC, will you settle for sexy 1/6 scale women and hard liqueur?

Dadrab, perfect suggestion.  I grabbed the  non-specific "Very old" (I read the one labeled 15 year was the previous edition of this) and was not disappointed. So gentle and smooth, very subtle sweetness, with some great tobacco notes.  Your whiskey recommendations are gold from here on out.

Gonna pour myself another glass and get back to work on a 1/6 Weapon X helmet that I'm hoping to finish this weekend.

28OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:42 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Howdy howdy howdy.
PickleMunkey here!

I'm a 29 year old from the Canadian Maritimes, and I've been into 1/6 since I first saw 12" GI Joes and Ultimate Soldier stuff when I was a kid. The first time I went into a Toys 'R Us I saw Ultimate Soldier in all its glory and fell in love.
Then I saw Dragon figures online and had my mind blown.

I collected and played with them for years.
Then I got into customizing.
Then I got into photographing.

I found The Sixth Division, as NBTrav, and eventually made it over to OSW.
My main focuses include Vietnam, The ETO of WWII (mostly Battle of The Bulge), Sci-Fi (Aliens, Star Wars) and a number of other things.

I also dabble in 1/10 and 1/12 scale figures (Star Wars Black Series, Marvel Legends, etc...)

Looking forward to having fun times with you folks.

29OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:25 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Welcome aboard, PickleMunkey.

30OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:59 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Hey PickleMunkey, great to see you here Cool

31OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:23 pm

PitViper

PitViper
Hello there fellow 1:6 enthusiasts.

I'm PitViper here and at OSW, where I've been a member for nearly 15 years (it'll be 15 this September to be exact).

I'mm 55 years old and have worked in healthcare since the late 80's in NYC, Maryland and Puerto Rico.  

Started collecting in 1998 when I bought my first 21st Century Toys Modern Infantry carded set and an Ultimate Soldier carded figure in PT gear.  I was literally blown away when I started reminiscing of the GI Joes of my childhood.  To this day I remember my first order from that awesome outfit called Good Stuff To Go, the box had every single 21st Century modern carded uniform and weapons set.  I still have figures wearing those.  Then over the years I started collecting DML, BBI, Soldier Story, DAM and others.  Pretty much alternate between periods of buying only boxed figures and bashing, but it has always been modern military.  I have a handful of Vietnam figures, but that's about it.  Never got bitten by the WWII bug.

Thanks a lot to Striker2011 for the invitation to join you all.  Wished I'd made the Dirty Dozen, but I was bit too late.  Looking forward to sharing in this marvelous hobby of ours with all members.

32OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:31 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
PitViper wrote:Hello there fellow 1:6 enthusiasts.

I'm PitViper here and at OSW, where I've been a member for nearly 15 years (it'll be 15 this September to be exact).

I'mm 55 years old and have worked in healthcare since the late 80's in NYC, Maryland and Puerto Rico.  

Started collecting in 1998 when I bought my first 21st Century Toys Modern Infantry carded set and an Ultimate Soldier carded figure in PT gear.  I was literally blown away when I started reminiscing of the GI Joes of my childhood.  To this day I remember my first order from that awesome outfit called Good Stuff To Go, the box had every single 21st Century modern carded uniform and weapons set.  I still have figures wearing those.  Then over the years I started collecting DML, BBI, Soldier Story, DAM and others.  Pretty much alternate between periods of buying only boxed figures and bashing, but it has always been modern military.  I have a handful of Vietnam figures, but that's about it.  Never got bitten by the WWII bug.

Thanks a lot to Striker2011 for the invitation to join you all.  Wished I'd made the Dirty Dozen, but I was bit too late.  Looking forward to sharing in this marvelous hobby of ours with all members.

--

Glad to see you here with us!

Smile

33OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hey, hey. Welcome, PV. Glad you made it.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 C8485110

34OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:33 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Welcome aboard Everyone! The more the merrier.

35OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Adeno

Hello friends!

It's just recently that I got into the 1/6 scale toys, primarily because of Phicen/TBLeague. I always had this image in my head that 1/6 scale toys looked like old, plasticy GI Joes or Barbie and Ken dolls, but seeing how modern technology and toy making techniques have made it possible to create realistic looking toys, I was attracted and very much intrigued.

Normally I collect 6 inch scale or 1/12 scale things, but after being exposed to the wonders of 1/6 scale toys, I fell in love and I started buying them little by little. Although I love both 6 inch and 12 inch scale toys, one thing I found to be very fun to do with the bigger ones is the ability to change their clothes and even buy separate headsculpts. It's very different from the smaller scale toys because with the smaller scale ones, the outfit is part of the sculpt. There's no flexibility there in terms of changing outfits. With the 1/6 scale toys, it's possible to dress them up with whatever you can find as long as it fits!

When I buy toys, usually the reason behind it is to satisfy my need to have characters from my childhood back. I did have a lot of toys as a kid, but I lost interest when the Atari 2600 and NES video game consoles showed up. It's just now as an adult that I am once again exploring the joys of toys! My interests usually include horror characters, Japanese cartoons or characters, celebrities and sometimes movie or game characters. I also like "original" no-name characters because they allow me to give them their own identity.

One part that I enjoy when it comes to collecting toys is writing reviews of them and also making up little stories about them in picture/toy comic form on my little site. I guess this is the "new" way I play with these toys now, unlike when I was a kid when I used to physically make those little 3 or 4 inch tall Superman and Brainiac toys fight by physically controlling and "mashing" them. I remember I even used to make them fight in a basin full of flour so that when Superman would punch Brainiac downwards from the "sky", Brainiac would fall and make a crater where he landed! These days, I wouldn't dare do that to the 6 inch and especially the 12 inch stuff due to their prices. Fortunately, with the power of Photoshop and After Effects, it's easier to manifest my imagination via enhanced pictures.

One of my goals when it comes to the 1/6 scale toys is to someday create my own custom items. Maybe not clothes because I certainly don't know how to sew (although I'd love to learn!), but I can sculpt 3D objects and even entire characters on the computer. I only need a 3D printer but they are still quite expensive. Fortunately the prices are somewhat going down and the functionality of the available technology for home use seems to be improving as well. I also want to experience hand painting custom heads and accessories. I can't use an airbrush because I don't have the proper space for that here where I live, so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and hopefully learn and improve as I experiment more.

My other goal is to become a better toy photographer and to understand how to compose shots better. Playing with lights, making shadows land where I want them, controlling depth, all of those things sound very interesting to me and toys in dynamic poses make the perfect subject. Of course, that also means I need to find a decent camera soon because the one I've been using for years is this Nikon CoolPix thing that I got from Walmart during a sale lol! That reminds me of the times when I used to attempt to take a picture of a giant moon, only for it to show up as a tiny little dot!

That's it from me now, have fun! Here's 2B from the game Nier Automata Smile

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 OBpANej

36OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Perfect Figure Toys

Perfect Figure Toys
Thanks for the invite......

I used to be known as "Raiden" on most forums that didn't use my real name. Menwithdolls, Rebelscum, OSW, etc....

I've been doing the toy thing since I can remember....started off with the Star Wars toys in the late 70's that I can remember.....I am sure I had others, but those are what I remember the most. Getting that huge Death Star playset. Even have the rare blue Snaggletooth still! Always collected toys and action figures throughout my life. Had been a comic book guy for awhile. Almost got into drawing.....Adam Hughes, Jim Lee, Luis Royo were all big influences. But still toys is what sucked me in. Got into customizing 12" figs in the late 90's and then found Cy Girls and it all changed for me. That and being online 24-7. So now at 43, I'm considered one of the "old school" generation of 1/6th of the modern age. Still into action figures of all kinds but always come back to 1/6th.

Had a pipe dream fallback option that if I never made it as an artist, I was gonna open a comic book store. That may yet still happen, but in the last 5 years or so I've really wanted to open my own toy store specializing in 1/6th. Boxed and part outs similar to places I used to shop like Good Stuff to Go, Monkey Depot or Toy Anxiety. So finally in 2017, I made that a reality and opened up an online store. The link is at the bottom. I specialize in all kinds of styles, brands and genres......always looking to add more as well to help everyone get what they're looking for. What I may lack in knowledge of what this one is called or that one is called, I'd like to think I make up for in customer service, which I think is SORELY lacking in the world of 1/6th shops these days. Another big reason I wanted to open up shop. It's nice to know there's a real person who's willing to help when you need it.
So fingers crossed.....I may get that brick & mortar store opened this or next year, including comics. And then I'll be carrying Hot Toys and Sideshow so that's always a plus.
So if you're looking for something, please stop by and see what we have......if I don't have it, ask!

37OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:19 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Me and Raiden | Perfect Figures Toys go way back.

I met him when I joined OSW and MWD back around 2000/2001.  We've been through a lot over the years as 1:6 collectors.  I even tried a few times to talk him out of entering the 1:6 business.  When he finally launched his business, I was very happy for him.  He's one of very few who EARNED my TRUST, business, and friendship through consistent integrity, service, and transparency.

38OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 am

dadrab

dadrab
ReverendSpooky wrote:

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Img-0674res_orig

DFC, will you settle for sexy 1/6 scale women and hard liqueur?

Dadrab, perfect suggestion.  I grabbed the  non-specific "Very old" (I read the one labeled 15 year was the previous edition of this) and was not disappointed. So gentle and smooth, very subtle sweetness, with some great tobacco notes.  Your whiskey recommendations are gold from here on out.

Gonna pour myself another glass and get back to work on a 1/6 Weapon X helmet that I'm hoping to finish this weekend.

I'm very glad you're enjoying it. I sort of "fell into" it about two years ago and have been hard-pressed to give it up.

So, a bottle of one of my favorites and a figure in the same photo??? REALLY???

You've got me, man. I might have to blow that up for a poster in my playroom.

NICE.

39OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
dadrab wrote:I might have to blow that up for a poster in my playroom.

NICE.

That’s actually a pretty cool idea. There’s been more than a few figure pics that I’ve kept in a folder on my computer as reminders of just how many talented and creative people we have in this hobby; it would be kind of cool to have them displayed as artwork.

40OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Welcome all!  Love seeing everyone  I recognize coming over from OSW.  And it looks like a few new names popping up here as well.  Welcome to the party! You're in good company here.

dadrab wrote:I'm very glad you're enjoying it. I sort of "fell into" it about two years ago and have been hard-pressed to give it up.

So, a bottle of one of my favorites and a figure in the same photo??? REALLY???

You've got me, man. I might have to blow that up for a poster in my playroom.

NICE.

Ah, glad you dig it!!  Having a bit of fun on Friday night.  A good drink and some action figures, and I couldn't be happier.  If I could return the favor, I'd recommend Journeyman's Silver Cross.  They're a smaller distillery out of MI, but I think they're becoming fairly widely available.  Really unique, richly woody and one of my absolute favorites, it's one of my top recommendations.  

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s actually a pretty cool idea. There’s been more than a few figure pics that I’ve kept in a folder on my computer as reminders of just how many talented and creative people we have in this hobby; it would be kind of cool to have them displayed as artwork.

I will say, I love good toy photos.  While a lot of time, it's great to just get good clean pics of a project, so you can really appreciate the figure itself (especially in the case of customs), there are a lot of dynamite photographers out there taking beautiful photos of figures of all scales, many of them well worthy of print.  I know there are a few who have actually done really cool art books (I actually did a small book run of figure photos for a little art show I was in a few years back) and there are some great people on instagram who's entire account is just amazing toy photos.  There's even a guy https://www.instagram.com/hrjoe_photography/?hl=en who teaches a workshop on toy photography and digital editing. I've seen some great photographers on OSW, often WW2 guys, who have done some truly gorgeous photo shoots. We have so many great customizers among us, and we have a lot of guys who take great pictures, but I'm always surprised we don't see more people really focused on toy photography among our community.

I will say, the majority of toy photographers I see do seem to photograph smaller scales.  Which is crazy, because as all of us here know, 1/6 is obviously the superior option (mostly kidding, but kinda not...).

41OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Andrew

Andrew
Hi everyone.

"I don't plan to die," she laughed, flicking the safety off the chrome plated desert eagle, "But if I do, I'll see you in heaven, little brother. I’ll be the one ramming the harp up St Peter’s tight little asspipe.”  

The Life of Lol.

42OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:00 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Welcome aboard Andrew!

43OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:19 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Andrew! Welcome on man!

44OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Andrew

Andrew
thI missed you OSW guys quite a bit. Good to be back

"I don't plan to die," she laughed, flicking the safety off the chrome plated desert eagle, "But if I do, I'll see you in heaven, little brother. I’ll be the one ramming the harp up St Peter’s tight little asspipe.”  

The Life of Lol.

45OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Welcome aboard, Andrew. We’re starting to fill the ranks. Pretty soon, the Dirty Dozen may turn into a platoon.

46OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Finally Made It Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 pm

onesixthwarrior

onesixthwarrior
Hi, I think I've gotten things set up, finally. Glad to be here- you can blame Gubernator since he invited me.

My involvement with the hobby started the Christmas GI Joe was first introduced. I had to wait until Christmas Day to see what he actually looked like because I had only seen photos of him in the Sears Christmas catalog. He instantly became my favorite toy, and I kept my Joes and Jeep until I left home for college. I never saw them again... and frankly never had an interest in the small action figures.

One day I was in Barnes And Noble when I noticed a display of boxes with "Master Collector" on them. I couldn't believe they brought my friend back! I bought the Marine- he looked just like the Joe I got that Christmas Day so long ago. Then Joes started showing up at other stores, and before I knew it, I was playing again! I was amazed at how much better the new ones were. I loved to buy 21st Century carded uniforms to upgrade the Joes (I had never heard the term "kitbashing" at that time). My very first on-line transaction was an order from Cotswold to buy replacement Jeep parts for one that I picked up in a thrift store.

Things are so much better than they were back then! Now we even had GI Jane- I got the paratrooper and the helicopter pilot (I upgraded her helmet with the one from the GI Joe Door Gunner), and made her the official pilot of my 21st Century OH-6. Cy Girl AJ Macleod was the very first figure I pre-ordered (from Small Blue Planet, I believe).

Female figures have added a whole new dimension to my hobby. I still buy male figures, but I really love to create female characters. For some reason I was never able to create female characters in any of the writing classes I took in college. Female action figures changed that for me, I have no idea why, but I'm really glad they did.

My hobby has coalesced around my "sagas" which sort of ties all of my hobby interests together: the figures, some rudimentary set building, vehicles, writing and photography. My interest is modern era figures, but I still buy some WWII stuff- some of it is just too cool to pass up!

Eventually I found my way to OSW and MWD (and a smaller community called Figurevore). All of those sites have been through many changes and crises. Hopefully OSW will survive, but I hope this new, fresh site continues to thrive regardless.

47OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:43 am

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Welcome aboard onesixthwarrior! Indeed I also received a personal invite from GF last week to check out the place and I'm
really glad I did.

48OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:53 am

dadrab

dadrab
@onsixthwarrior, welcome, sir. Really glad to have you.

49OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 2 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:03 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Welcome onesixthwarrior, and to Peter the Painter for joining the ranks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 30]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum