OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OSF Member Introductions . . .

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 30]

251OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:17 pm

BAD WOLF-787

Welcome aboard awsd1987!

252OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:48 pm

skywalkersaga

Nice to have you here, awsd1987! Looking forward to seeing your creations! Smile

253OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Thu May 23, 2019 2:56 am

Ephiane

Welcome All, again !

OMG ! Sky, i love Your Wolf Pack ! Fafner love Wolfs to, he like to be a Big Wolf and next to an 1:6 figure he is one. Laughing

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 15936410
OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 2rilwh10

254OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Thu May 23, 2019 3:49 am

skywalkersaga

Oh my gosh, Ephiane! Fafner is adorable, and I love his name! Also getting some awesome 'Princess Mononoke' vibes from that pic. What a patient 'wolf' to let your figure ride him! :'D

255OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Fri May 24, 2019 6:50 am

blackpool

blackpool
I love how the dog proudly poses, from his eyes I think he tries to impersonate clint eastwood Laughing Cool

Welcome to Meagan, hope to see your Trevor Philips figure soon, I'm a big GTA fan!

256OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:38 pm

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Hello folks, some of you know me already from One Sixth Warriors. I decided to join this place after stumbling onto it recently.

257OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:44 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Willkommen, ZeroDelta, we hope you like it here.

258OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Welcome aboard, ZeroD. Hope you enjoy it here.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 C8485110

259OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
A very warm welcome to you, ZeroDelta! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

260OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:34 am

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Thanks guys.

261OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Life and times of mini me

Hey guys! My name is CJ. I was cmathis92 over on OSW and "life and times of mini me" on Instagram. I got into 1:6 stuff when I was around 10 with the usual GI Joe figures and others. In 2013 I bought my first real 1:6 figure, a nude Crazy Dummy Seal Team Gunner figure. Since then I've "tricked" him out with a ton of guns and gear. I use him to fulfill many of my life goals I haven't been able to achieve such as having tons of weapons, gear, vehicles, being a military veteran, and so on. He basically lives my dream life. I've been taking and posting pictures of him since October 2013. I use a mixture of real scale and 1:6 stuff for my series with him also and try to have fun but still be serious at times. I've taken over 1,100 pictures of him since I started. Anyway I want wait to start posting here and hope to make some more friends.

Ps. I apologize for jumping around with my introduction, I suffer from a history of concussions so bare with me.

Sent from Topic'it App

262OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Welcome aboard Life and Times. I’m sure I remember your Mini-Me posts from the Old Site. Glad you could find your way to us. I’m sure you’ll recognize many of the names here.

263OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
A very warm welcome to you, CJ! Glad you could join us, and I look forward to seeing your photos here. Smile

264OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Thank you Stryker and Skywalker much appreciated! I can't wait to browse and get more acquainted with this forum!

Sent from Topic'it App

265OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 am

Karotte

Hi folks,

i´m a new member, so i think it´s only fair to say Hello.

My real name is Bernd, i´m from Barbaria (southern Germany) and i´m in 1/6-stuff for quite some time.

My passion is kitbashing / scratching things. Unfortunately in the last few years i kept stockpiling more and more stuff and i just don´t have the time to get all my projects done or even start (bcs of job and real-life things...).

Nice to see so many people from OSW on this forum!

greetings,

Bernd

266OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:54 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Greetings and welcome, Bernd. Glad you could make it.

267OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:21 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
A warm welcome to you, Bernd! Smile

268OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Servus Bernd, Welcome!

269OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 pm

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
Hi! I’m tinyumbrellas, I came to this hobby a bit sideways, I mostly collect and customise ball jointed dolls in 1/3 scale. I have a couple that are 70cm tall, so big boys! I wanted a couple of figures I could take out of the house easily, and a BJD artist was selling custom heads that fit COOmodel bodies, so here I am! I’m mostly active on the Den of Angels forum but action figures can’t be discussed there...

I enjoy learning new things, currently I’m investigating how to make very realistic styleable wigs, so if I make any progress I’ll be sure to share here too! I hope there will be some interest despite my figures not being military or celebrities Smile

I’m now struggling to find the type of body I require, and looking at drastically modding one instead, so here I am to try and find out if it’s possible!

270OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:39 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
tinyumbrellas wrote:Hi! I’m tinyumbrellas, I came to this hobby a bit sideways, I mostly collect and customise ball jointed dolls in 1/3 scale. I have a couple that are 70cm tall, so big boys! I wanted a couple of figures I could take out of the house easily, and a BJD artist was selling custom heads that fit COOmodel bodies, so here I am! I’m mostly active on the Den of Angels forum but action figures can’t be discussed there...

I enjoy learning new things, currently I’m investigating how to make very realistic styleable wigs, so if I make any progress I’ll be sure to share here too! I hope there will be some interest despite my figures not being military or celebrities Smile

I’m now struggling to find the type of body I require, and looking at drastically modding one instead, so here I am to try and find out if it’s possible!

Hey there, and a very warm welcome! I'm always excited to see 'doll people' here, as I think there is more intersection/crossover between the hobbies than many realise, and it's great to see people sharing their knowledge between them! While I didn't get heavily into dolls prior to finding 1/6, it was indeed initially my interest in creating a 'doll' that brought me here, mainly because of the modification/customisation possibilities. 

Style-able hair at smaller scales definitely piques my interest, so please do share. Smile

And there are plenty of folks here who customise figures other than military and celeb stuff, so you are not alone.  I love you

271OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:53 pm

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
skywalkersaga wrote:

Hey there, and a very warm welcome! I'm always excited to see 'doll people' here, as I think there is more intersection/crossover between the hobbies than many realise, and it's great to see people sharing their knowledge between them! While I didn't get heavily into dolls prior to finding 1/6, it was indeed initially my interest in creating a 'doll' that brought me here, mainly because of the modification/customisation possibilities. 

Style-able hair at smaller scales definitely piques my interest, so please do share. Smile

And there are plenty of folks here who customise figures other than military and celeb stuff, so you are not alone.  I love you

Thanks, it’s nice to meet you!

I’m not sure if non members can see this, but here’s an 80-something page thread about realistic hard cap wigs for 1/6 (or thereabouts) sized dolls! https://denofangels.com/threads/hard-cap-wigs-for-small-heads.598886/
Some of them are sewing individual hairs into a hard wig cap made from stockings and glue, this gives the impression of a scalp out of which the hair is growing, some people are ventilating one hair at a time into wig mesh, it’s very intricate work but the results are outstanding!

272OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:24 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hello and welcome aboard, TU. Glad you decided to join us. Don’t worry too much about the difference between “Doll” and “action figure” — that debate crops up from time to time, but the bottom line is simply — these are all dolls; some are just more realistic than others. I think you’ll enjoy the work done by many of our members here, and as skywalkersaga said, not all of them are of celebrities or military — though in the 1/6 realm celebrity head sculpts are far more common it seems. By the way, if your not aware of it, Doll wig caps in 1/6 scale are usually size 4 (sometimes smaller, but never bigger).

273OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:53 am

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
Thanks Stryker!

Yes that thread I linked began as a 1/6 ish discussion but wanders into larger head sizes, as larger dolls are more common. I couldn’t imagine ventilating a wig any larger than 4 inches, even that size is making me hesitate! My two heads are indeed 4 inches and quite a good fit for 1/6 bodies, I’m sure there are doll wigs aplenty in that size I could buy, but I think I’ll make a form fitting wig cap and make my own just to try it out

The distinction between doll and action figure to me is blurry, though the line between art doll and limited / custom action figure is blurrier still. Little representations of the human figure that give us hours of fun posing, playing, and customising Smile

274OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:41 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
tinyumbrellas wrote:The distinction between doll and action figure to me is blurry, though the line between art doll and limited / custom action figure is blurrier still. Little representations of the human figure that give us hours of fun posing, playing, and customising Smile

Oh, it really isn't all that complicated. Boys don't like to play with "Dolls", and some get offended by the term (probably because they think it emasculates them somehow). "Action Figure" was a term created back in the 60s to get boys to play with GI Joes -- even though it's still a "Doll". Me, I could care less what they are called: "High-End Collectibles", "Action Figures", "Dolls". It means pretty much the same (aside from price). My wife calls them "Over-Priced Barbies" -- and she's not completely wrong. I guess the best distinction between the two "doll" and "Action figure" is most dolls have limited articulation and less detail (aside from perhaps the clothing), whereas the action figures that most here collect are highly detailed and have near-human articulation in many instances -- at least at the 1/6 level.

275OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:06 am

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
Stryker2011 wrote:

Oh, it really isn't all that complicated. Boys don't like to play with "Dolls", and some get offended by the term (probably because they think it emasculates them somehow). "Action Figure" was a term created back in the 60s to get boys to play with GI Joes -- even though it's still a "Doll". Me, I could care less what they are called: "High-End Collectibles", "Action Figures", "Dolls". It means pretty much the same (aside from price). My wife calls them "Over-Priced Barbies" -- and she's not completely wrong. I guess the best distinction between the two "doll" and "Action figure" is most dolls have limited articulation and less detail (aside from perhaps the clothing), whereas the action figures that most here collect are highly detailed and have near-human articulation in many instances -- at least at the 1/6 level.

Well, I didn’t want to offend by saying that! And I’m not a man so I can’t know whether I’d find it emasculating to say I collect dolls.

Ball jointed dolls are just as articulated, some even have every finger joint, and many are very detailed and realistic. They’re art dolls for adults not toy dolls for kids that’s for sure. I think 1/6 figures can be for either. You’re right though I think action figure denotes a focus on posing ability and articulation.

276OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:01 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I think Stryker is referring to a viewpoint that he encounters on other 1/6 scale forums, usually put forth by a certain demographic of male collectors who have a somewhat outdated and narrow-minded concept of what makes something a 'doll' vs. an 'action figure', and the inherent [in their opinions] value and/or gendered nature of such things. Obviously, in thinking that way, they end up perpetuating an overly simplistic view of both dolls AND action figures, imo, and I can understand why Stryker would be frustrated by repeatedly running into that kind of mindset. 

Thankfully, I think that people on this forum are pretty open-minded about what an action figure -- or doll, for that matter -- can be. : ) 

And I completely agree, tinyumbrellas, that there are many types of dolls out there that have very complex articulation. In fact, the subject of articulated model horses often comes up here, and interestingly, one of the few I've encountered that was even remotely convincing was an OOAK horse created by someone with a background in BJD's, rather than in action figures. Wink 

I have great respect and admiration for those who work with and create BJD's, and I love the whole concept of 'art dolls'. I don't have personal experience with BJD's, but I'm always seeing such gorgeous examples online and drooling over them. But yeah, I love dolls in general, though the only higher-end doll I have in my collection is a Tonner repaint. Smile I know that Peaches, another forum member here, is into customizing both dolls and action figures in a wide variety of scales, though she hasn't been around much lately. 

There are indeed many differences between the art doll and action figure communities, and I think those are mainly to do with the overall aesthetic preferences, materials used, and aims of customization. What I personally tend to define as a 'doll' is something that is more stylized in both face and body, and is primarily an artistic piece that has a focus on beautiful/interesting aesthetics. In comparison, at the moment, the action figure world seems, to my eyes, very much about replicating certain things precisely, such as real people, or movie characters, or achieving high levels of realism in a smaller form. Which is not to say there is no crossover between the doll world and action figure world in both respects, but that is just my very generalized observation. 

Of course, we have many examples here on this forum of some incredible creators who transcend that generalization -- one has only to look at the works of ReverendSpooky, Ephiane, Ovy, AlKelAstra91, and many others to see how artistic and creative 1/6 scale action figures can be. And likewise, I've encountered some stunning dolls in all scales which have incredibly detailed sculpting, painting, wigs, etc., and achieve high levels of realism in their own right.

As someone who appreciates art and beautiful things in general, there are aspects that appeal to me about both hobbies. My observations lead me to think that the goals of doll-making vs. action figure customization do tend to differ a little, but that ultimately there is so much to be learned from each other. My personal goal since starting my various 1/6 projects has been to create custom action figures while utilizing certain techniques frequently used for art dolls, such as repainting, wigs/re-hairing, etc.

277OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:27 pm

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
Ah, my misunderstanding!

Skywalkersaga thank you, that was a very insightful take on the hobbies Smile there are quite a few 1/6 BJD collectors buying parted out action figure clothing and accessories, it’s rare to see a proportionate bjd at that size so the clothing options are thin on the ground! Thankfully the 1/6 world provides generously!

I have noticed a trend towards realism in one sixth scale, BJDs can be all kinds of levels of stylisation, personally my preference is “realistic but not uncanny valley”

Apologies for my scant reply, I’m on mobile and can’t type easily

278OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Nekk-ra

I'm Nekk-ra. I've been lurking for over a year and decided to join up. Not new to 1/6, but spent several years away from the hobby and decide to/made the mistake of throwing my hat back in to the fray.

279OSF Member Introductions . . . - Page 11 Empty Re: OSF Member Introductions . . . Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nekk-ra wrote:I'm Nekk-ra. I've been lurking for over a year and decided to join up. Not new to 1/6, but spent several years away from the hobby and decide to/made the mistake of throwing my hat back in to the fray.

Welcome aboard. Glad you finally decided to sign up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 30]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum