OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Saint Crow - 1st of the Radio Kings & Post Apocalyptic Warlord. King's Currency: Wasteland Salvaged Records, Turntable, and Speakers MEGAPOST!!!

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

As the subject of posting old work here has been discussed, I thought I'd bring over to OSF my 1st few threads from the post apocalyptic world of the Radio Kings, combined into one massive megapost.  As I add new characters and new threads, I wanted to be able to refer back to this introduction to the Radio Kings story, and figured it'd be good to keep it local here on OSF, instead of referring back to OSW or my own site.

Hopefully it's not too photo dense, or you aren't too bored or sick of old work.  I'm hoping to have a bunch of new stuff up soon.




Crowther, known as Saint Crow, is the 1st finished figure in a series of post-apocalyptic figures I'm working on.  Here's a bit of back story on him, and the world of the Radio Kings.

When the end came, it was not with a bang. No, in the end, we proved that neglect, greed, and ignorance could do more damage than bombs ever could (although the bombs would come later). The temperature continued to change, but we ignored the signs. We polluted the ground, and the air, until almost nothing could grow. When access to clean water, clean land, clean food became a privilege reserved for those that could afford it, so did good health.

While the rich grew powerful, unchecked, this shortsightedness could not last forever.

By the time it became impossible to ignore, it was too late. By the time the people fought back, there was almost nothing left to fight for, so they killed each other for the scraps left behind, while the world starved and rotted and the cities burned.

Still, the richest survived. They built impenetrable citadels, hoarding what resources were left. They took the technology, and with it the means to grow food, to clean the air and the water, and they crushed anyone who came for them, for there was only enough left for themselves. They saved those that would be useful to them, convincing them that to be a servant behind the safety of the walls, was better than to die outside of them. And this they chose to believe.

Over 100 years have passed. In the wastes, only the the strong, the heartless, and the brutal thrive. They've finally learned the lessons of the world's former masters. The fortresses that the leaders of the old world built to survive have become their prisons and tombs. Men who knew nothing but how to reap what others had sown, everything they have continues to break down and decay. So their soldiers venture out into the wastes to take what they want - the servants that they need, children to fill their army's ranks, and anyone with the knowledge to fix their decaying systems.

But even now, there is hope.

Crowther, or Saint Crow as he came to be known, was the first of the Radio Kings. Born in the wastes, he was taken by the men of the Citadels and raised as a soldier, his body modified to be strong, fast, resilient. Children were pitted against each other, until only the strongest survived - and Crowther was a survivor. But once outside the walls, everything changed.

He was part of a scavenging party, looking for old technology, when he discovered rock & roll - The Clash's London's Calling cassette, still in an old radio - and there was no going back. He escaped his masters and disappeared into the wastes. He wandered for years, digging through the ruins of the old world, and devoured any music he could find. Cassettes, cds, vinyl, old MP3 players, anything that he could get working. And then he found it - an old radio station that could be repaired, in a town that could be rebuilt. He sent out word. He'd gather the people necessary to make it all work. This is where he would start over.

Others would follow, and other towns, other stations would rise. In a world where so much had lost any value, old records became currency among these new leaders. They would build something new from the ashes of the old world. This is the world of the Radio Kings.































And no one survives long in the wastes without allies. So I got a few pics of some work in progress figures of some of the other characters from this post apocalyptic world.  









Saint Crow was the 1st of the Radio Kings, but not the only one. As his word spread, others rallied to his dream. Other towns formed, radio stations revived, and other Radio Kings were crowned. And among them, no currency more valuable than old records. Music from the old world was recovered in a number of ways, and while finding old hard drives and digital music players provided a treasure trove of perfectly preserved music, there was something about the rarity of well preserved records, as well as that undefinable quality that vinyl record seem to possess, that made them so priceless among the Radio Kings.

I've been wanting to make 1/6 scale records for the longest time, but as I developed the post apocalyptic world of the Radio Kings, it just started to feel like a necessary prop.



































So, now that I'd been making 1/6 records, I knew I needed a record player. I've been looking for one for a while now, and finally decided I'd take a crack at just making my own. I feel like the design is totally something I'd pick up myself if I saw it.

While the record player at the The Lighthouse, the radio station Saint Crow had found, worked perfectly well, he had long been scavenging the wastes, searching for one of his own. When he finally found one mostly intact, along with a couple of truly impressive floor speakers, he rearranged the old industrial space he has made into his home to accommodate the new additions. But getting them working was far beyond his technical know-how, so he brought in help.

































#custom #diorama #outdoors

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
I can't get tired of looking at these photos. There some damn fine stuff going on here.

The records were then and still are strokes of genius. (And, thank you very much for the Mahogany Rush album and I haven't forgotten that I promised to return the favor).

View user profile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
YES!!!

So glad you brought these over. This is one of my favorites. So many cool things. Overwhelming.

Must. Pass. Out. Now....


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
How could anyone get enough of so much intricate sixth-scale goodness! Thank you for bringing these here, in all their glory.
Remind me, is St Crow's head a reworked David Beckham head?


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
.
I am just (still) totally overwhelmed by how good this is, on every level. Just physically as diorama work it's top of the tops, perfectly executed and meticulously detailed. Better still the details aren't just skilful, but they are clever and surprising and engaging. I pick up something new each time I look.

But it's not just the hobby bashing craft work that gets kudos. The underlying concept is truly original, and while we throw that word around a lot, it's genuinely rare. 50+ pictures, and there is not one one fumble nor a false note, whether on the art/mood level or in the physical detail. It's oddball and eccentric but it totally works. The "Radio Kings" should get their own rock musical. Jim Steinman gets his hands on this and you've got somethin'.

View user profile
That is Brilliant! All of it! I notice you like to use Kotobukiya's MSG stuff too, that staircase is awesome did you make it? The whole warehouse studio dio is a work of art and of course so are the characters! Where did those amazing pistols come from? I want an airgun one, never made a 1/1 revolver before... scratch Wonderful world you have created, would tie in perfectly with "The Badlands" and "Revolution"!

View user profile
Holy wow!! This is some of the most creative and detailed and beautifully photographed 1/6 art I've ever seen! This is usually not my thing but everything is so well crafted and built it's amazing! And you wrote that story? I'm assuming yes because I googled the character and some keywords and only came up with your website. I'm pretty ignorant of this type of genre so I thought maybe you were modeling some graphic novel or TV series. So, assuming you created this entire story and world and built the figures and environments and photographed it, just wow... Shocked  Terrific writing too (I'm a former book editor, so I've seen my share)!

I totally missed this on OSW, so now I see the wisdom of putting old work on the General Talk forum. I would never have seen it otherwise.

Awesome work! I love you cheers


_________________
Tank Girl
View user profile
Indeed great stuff, very cool looking cast of characters, great story line and amazing looking diorama set.


_________________
View user profile
It's so nice to see Saint Crow and the Radio Kings again, brings back good feelings and vibes I get seeing them for the first time back at the old place. As always, the characters, environment both indoors and outdoors has always left me breathless and keeps me wanting to see more, to explore further. I've always loved and appreciated the care, attention, and creativity you've put into your photography.

Thank you for refreshing my memories and rekindling the good vibes. Very Happy

View user profile https://www.flickr.com/photos/110202058@N06/albums

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
This is all superb stuff,

Original and so well thought out and put together, well done.

I can see that we need to work on long thread titles at the top of the page though, I'm sure there's some text option that needs tweaking.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Seriously guys, thank you all so much. The Radio Kings stuff is a project I pour a lot of love into, a way of putting into physical form a story that just rattles around in my head all the time.  It's a mash up of my love of action figures, weird fiction and rock and roll, into hopefully something fresh and new.  Whenever it's greeted with this kind of kindness and enthusiasm just makes me want to get back at it, and attack it with fresh intensity.  There are so many great artists doing work that just awes me, sometimes I think I'll never catch up.  But comments like these go a long way in keeping the fight in my fists and stoking the fire in my belly.  So seriously, thanks.


dadrab wrote:I can't get tired of looking at these photos. There some damn fine stuff going on here.

The records were then and still are strokes of genius. (And, thank you very much for the Mahogany Rush album and I haven't forgotten that I promised to return the favor).

Whenever I find someone else who rock and roll has burned down into the way it has for me, it just makes me want to be able to share something like that.  Just knowing you'd dig it really made me want to send you one, and that already more than pays that tab.  But if you've got something fun in mind, I'll never say no...

Stryker2011 wrote:YES!!!

So glad you brought these over. This is one of my favorites. So many cool things. Overwhelming.

Must. Pass. Out. Now....

You guys make this forum is such a great spot, and I wanted the Radio Kings world to live here as well.  So happy, even when after the initial reveal is over, that you still dig it.  

GubernatorFan wrote:How could anyone get enough of so much intricate sixth-scale goodness! Thank you for bringing these here, in all their glory.
Remind me, is St Crow's head a reworked David Beckham head?

St Crow is in fact a David Beckham head.  My girl and a few friends all like to tease me about it, since I've got 3 of the Beckham heads.  1 got used for St Crow, another for a custom Gambit, and the 3rd is hanging around for a potential character for another project.  Whenever I'm stumped on a head sculpt to use, one of them will ask if I want to use another David Beckham head.  What can I say, the guy's a handsome dude.

Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:.
I am just (still) totally overwhelmed by how good this is, on every level.  Just physically as diorama work it's top of the tops, perfectly executed and meticulously detailed.  Better still the details aren't just skilful, but they are clever and surprising and engaging.  I pick up something new each time I look.  

But it's not just the hobby bashing craft work that gets kudos.  The underlying concept is truly original, and while we throw that word around a lot, it's genuinely rare.  50+ pictures, and there is not one one fumble nor a false note, whether on the art/mood level or in the physical detail.  It's oddball and eccentric but it totally works.  The "Radio Kings" should get their own rock musical.  Jim Steinman gets his hands on this and you've got somethin'.

I DREAM of Radio Kings films, but I'd INSIST on picking the soundtrack! Very Happy

shovelchop81 wrote:That is Brilliant! All of it! I notice you like to use Kotobukiya's MSG stuff too, that staircase is awesome did you make it? The whole warehouse studio dio is a work of art and of course so are the characters! Where did those amazing pistols come from? I want an airgun one, never made a 1/1 revolver before... scratch Wonderful world you have created, would tie in perfectly with "The Badlands" and "Revolution"!

Those Kotobukiya sets are so rad, right?!?!  I keep grabbing them up when I see them, and they're pure gold for sci-fi projects.  The pistols are from the DAM Gangster Kingdom Billy figure, and are based on the Taurus Raging Judge, an absolute beast of a handgun.  So far, all of the GK figures that have had any of the Judge style pistols have come with the .410 shotgun shells, but I've been considering trying to cast some .454 shells as well.  And I did make the spiral staircase!  The steps are made from cheap wooden asian fans.  It's pretty much all wood, matte black spray paint, and weathering powder rust.  Stumbled on a tutorial for making one for a dollhouse, and seemed easy enough to adapt to 1/6.

tankgirlfuzzy wrote:Holy wow!! This is some of the most creative and detailed and beautifully photographed 1/6 art I've ever seen! This is usually not my thing but everything is so well crafted and built it's amazing! And you wrote that story? I'm assuming yes because I googled the character and some keywords and only came up with your website. I'm pretty ignorant of this type of genre so I thought maybe you were modeling some graphic novel or TV series. So, assuming you created this entire story and world and built the figures and environments and photographed it, just wow... Shocked  Terrific writing too (I'm a former book editor, so I've seen my share)!

I totally missed this on OSW, so now I see the wisdom of putting old work on the General Talk forum. I would never have seen it otherwise.

Awesome work! I love you cheers

Yeah, your thread on re-posting old work here was kinda my inspiration to bring these over.  And based on your comments, further evidence supporting not dividing up the forum into sub sections.  I've checked out so many threads for things that weren't necessarily my thing either, but been so much richer for it.  And I'm always glad when the forum is set up in a way that I stumble on cool work that's outside of my scope of usual interests, or when someone who wouldn't usually be seek out my stuff finds and dig it.  And I'm really glad you did.

The Radio Kings world is all me.  I'd wanted to do post apocalyptic figures, but needed something to build on, that influenced and grounded the designs.  The concept became sort of a love letter to rock and roll, and the spirit of that enduring into the wastelands.  Pretty soon, it kinda ran away with me, and the cast of character just continued to grow, with complex relationships and backstories all kinda informing the props and details of the figures.  

I keep thinking of trying to write the whole thing out, but whenever I have the time, I just keep making more figures.  If you still know anyone from your publishing days who wants a post-apocalyptic rock and roll story, I definitely have a few books worth just banging around in my brain.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Indeed great stuff, very cool looking cast of characters, great story line and amazing looking diorama set.

I know you get it man!  Nothing as fun as breaking out the figures and stepping in to that 1/6 world.

Fox915 wrote:It's so nice to see Saint Crow and the Radio Kings again, brings back good feelings and vibes I get seeing them for the first time back at the old place. As always, the characters, environment both indoors and outdoors has always left me breathless and keeps me wanting to see more, to explore further. I've always loved and appreciated the care, attention, and creativity you've put into your photography.

Thank you for refreshing my memories and rekindling the good vibes. Very Happy

So glad to have it set up here in this forum, sharing with this crowd.  

Rogerbee wrote:This is all superb stuff,

Original and so well thought out and put together, well done.

I can see that we need to work on long thread titles at the top of the page though, I'm sure there's some text option that needs tweaking.

CHEERS!

Yeah, I saw that too, but didn't know how much control you guys had to adjust that.  I guess I'm the 1st one to really push my luck on title length. Razz

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I don't know on that score, Guber might.

CHEERS!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky -- glad I was able to identify the head. It looks almost unrecognizable and certainly very cool. It was the sculpting of the hair that gave it away. And don't worry... if we were judged by how many head sculpts of X or Y we own... I get well-executed head sculpts even if I do not (yet) know what I will do with them. And there have certainly been a ton of Beckhams out there (alongside Arnolds, Paul Walkers, Chris Evanses, Christian Bales, Thors, and Henry Cavills), so it is only natural that you would own 3. In fact, it is surprising they are only 3. Anyway, thanks again for putting together your various Radio Kings images and posting them here. And I hope down the line we'll see more.

Roger -- I wish you'd find some better abbreviation for me than "Guber." Smile I will look into it, but nothing jumps to mind regarding the spacing of long thread lines. I immediately thought this thread could have been named: Saint Crow, 1st of the Radio Kings, Megapost.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Roger -- I wish you'd find some better abbreviation for me than "Guber." Smile

AHAHAHAA!!Thanks for that. I think I peed a little.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Roger -- I wish you'd find some better abbreviation for me than "Guber." Smile

AHAHAHAA!!Thanks for that. I think I peed a little.

Lol... If I were a little bit more full of myself, I'd ask to be called gov'nor (as a Brit, Roger should be able to manage that better than I can). After all, that's what gubernator means... but I am keeping the German form because I am a Terminator -- Arnold -- sometime Governor of California = Gubernator fan. Smile

Fun fact (well, sorta) -- there was some Russian clip on youtube where they sing a very convincing parody of Hotel California, in which they refer to Arnold as the "new terminator of California, such an awesome man." He (or rather an actor playing him) comes out on stage (in Terminator character) and interrupts the music to announce: "Dear Californians, if anyone should ever offend you, I will take off their head. So be kind to one another, otherwise all will suffer." Or something like that, if memory serves.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
The pistols are from the DAM Gangster Kingdom Billy figure, and are based on the Taurus Raging Judge, an absolute beast of a handgun. So far, all of the GK figures that have had any of the Judge style pistols have come with the .410 shotgun shells, but I've been considering trying to cast some .454 shells as well. And I did make the spiral staircase! The steps are made from cheap wooden asian fans. It's pretty much all wood, matte black spray paint, and weathering powder rust. Stumbled on a tutorial for making one for a dollhouse, and seemed easy enough to adapt to 1/6. wrote:

Great info, thanks!

View user profile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Roger -- I wish you'd find some better abbreviation for me than "Guber." Smile

AHAHAHAA!!Thanks for that. I think I peed a little.

Lol... If I were a little bit more full of myself, I'd ask to be called gov'nor (as a Brit, Roger should be able to manage that better than I can). After all, that's what gubernator means... but I am keeping the German form because I am a Terminator -- Arnold -- sometime Governor of California = Gubernator fan. Smile

Fun fact (well, sorta) -- there was some Russian clip on youtube where they sing a very convincing parody of Hotel California, in which they refer to Arnold as the "new terminator of California, such an awesome man." He (or rather an actor playing him) comes out on stage (in Terminator character) and interrupts the music to announce: "Dear Californians, if anyone should ever offend you, I will take off their head. So be kind to one another, otherwise all will suffer." Or something like that, if memory serves.

I see, so what will you answer to?

CHEERS!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I see, so what will you answer to?

Well, I haven't refused to answer to anything so far... just Guber seems a little off. Gubernator or even GF seems fine. And no, the latter doesn't make me your girlfriend (MBAM!). lol


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Ok, Gubernator it is then.

CHEERS!

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:I see, so what will you answer to?

Well, I haven't refused to answer to anything so far... just Guber seems a little off. Gubernator or even GF seems fine. And no, the latter doesn't make me your girlfriend (MBAM!). lol

Damn.. that never even crossed my mind calling you GF all these years now! Embarassed Laughing

View user profile
This is magnificent! Thank you for posting here, some of us hadn't seen it yet. Believable, how the end came about... -_-

It must have taken a long time to source and build, everything belongs together in the setting. Great closeups on loading the guns. So many interesting details, the gas mask bunny, the fan staircase, those lightbulbs!!~ How Mz Fixit's overalls go over not all that much besides her own self. :}  It's fun to watch your characters interact, they are so lifelike. ^_^

ReverendSpooky wrote:I keep thinking of trying to write the whole thing out, but whenever I have the time, I just keep making more figures.
I can relate!

View user profile https://kukolkacreates.wordpress.com/blog/
Always been one of my favorite set of characters, storyline and bashing! Who wouldn't want a bad a$$ chainsaw like that as well!

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Roger -- I wish you'd find some better abbreviation for me than "Guber." Smile

AHAHAHAA!!Thanks for that. I think I peed a little.

Lol... If I were a little bit more full of myself, I'd ask to be called gov'nor (as a Brit, Roger should be able to manage that better than I can). After all, that's what gubernator means... but I am keeping the German form because I am a Terminator -- Arnold -- sometime Governor of California = Gubernator fan. Smile

Fun fact (well, sorta) -- there was some Russian clip on youtube where they sing a very convincing parody of Hotel California, in which they refer to Arnold as the "new terminator of California, such an awesome man." He (or rather an actor playing him) comes out on stage (in Terminator character) and interrupts the music to announce: "Dear Californians, if anyone should ever offend you, I will take off their head. So be kind to one another, otherwise all will suffer." Or something like that, if memory serves.

Well, you are "da gubernator" of our community here!  However that does mean that if anyone offends us, you may need to take their head (if a russian faux-terminator can truly be considered a reliable source of information on "guberning" responsibilities...)

Kukolka wrote:This is magnificent! Thank you for posting here, some of us hadn't seen it yet. Believable, how the end came about... -_-

It must have taken a long time to source and build, everything belongs together in the setting. Great closeups on loading the guns. So many interesting details, the gas mask bunny, the fan staircase, those lightbulbs!!~ How Mz Fixit's overalls go over not all that much besides her own self. :}  It's fun to watch your characters interact, they are so lifelike. ^_^

ReverendSpooky wrote:I keep thinking of trying to write the whole thing out, but whenever I have the time, I just keep making more figures.
I can relate!

Thank you so much Kukolka!  So glad you enjoyed it.  I wanted to ground the story in an apocalyptic scenario that seemed possible and relevant, and I sadly didn't need to stretch too far on this one.  It also keeps me thinking of the day to day challenges, and how people would need to survive it, which is a big part of that world.  There are definitely small communities that would work together, and try to figure a way to get food from even the harshest conditions.  And then there are those that would come along, and prey on those communities...

Even the smallest details often have some back story.  Marrow is a bit mad, and spent a lot of time alone in the wasteland with only the stuffed bunny to talk to, so he's kinda her best friend.  She's convinced he talks back, although no one else has heard it. As for the overalls, it's usually really hot in the wastelands!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. tongue See, there's a reason Saint Crow doesn't wear a shirt under that vest.  He's not just flaunting his abs!

Pontiacivan wrote:Always been one of my favorite set of characters, storyline and bashing! Who wouldn't want a bad a$$ chainsaw like that as well!

Hell yes!  Thanks much Pontiacivan.  I'm for any apocalypse where I can have a chainsaw sword.  It's the upside of an otherwise bleak future.  I have to admit that I think a part of the appeal of post apocalyptic fiction is that it's a world that is kinda the worst possible scenario, but also seems maybe a bit more fun than going to work tomorrow. Razz

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Well, you are "da gubernator" of our community here!  However that does mean that if anyone offends us, you may need to take their head (if a russian faux-terminator can truly be considered a reliable source of information on "guberning" responsibilities...)

LOL. I vow to take heads only digitally, and even then only as a last resort!


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
Glad you reposted these shots, this storyline characters and diorama is stellar, absolutely stunning in every little detail, "snow corporation" level if I might say, cause it has the same very unique depth as dorgmal snow and a very few other artists...

I could spend hours looking at all the props and accessories you have gathered and built, fascinating!

View user profile
thanks for posting them again, always inspiring to see your work, especially when it comes to the level of detail you put into your work

View user profile
blackpool wrote:Glad you reposted these shots, this storyline characters and diorame is stellar, absolutely stunning in every little detail, "snow corporation" level if I might say, cause it has the same very unique depth as dorgmal snow and a very few other artists...

I could spend hours looking at all the props and accessories you have gathered and built, fascinating!

Blackpool, you have no idea what it means for me to hear that comparison. Out of all the people I know doing custom figures, Dorgmal Snow is the man. I love his character designs so much. There's an aesthetic to his work that obsesses me, and his craftsmanship is unparalleled. Him and BHead are without doubt the 2 biggest inspirations for me doing to custom figures, so to even be compared (although I still feel miles from his level) means the world. Seriously, thank man.

Tjolnir wrote:thanks for posting them again, always inspiring to see your work, especially when it comes to the level of detail you put into your work

Tjolnir, thanks so much man! And really great to see you made it over here to the new forum!

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
Beautiful figures! I love the guy with the scar! Saint Crow is it? Fantastic work!

View user profile
JohnByng wrote:Beautiful figures! I love the guy with the scar! Saint Crow is it? Fantastic work!

Ah, thank you John! Yeah, that's Saint Crow, the 1st of the Radio Kings. So glad you dig em!

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I am SO looking forward to the further adventures of St. Crow and his ladies.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Love me some Saint Crow. Good to see all the photos collected together.

GubernatorFan wrote:but I am keeping the German form...

Comes from the Latin gubernō (to govern). Greek has the same word (kubernáō).


_________________
More of my work can be found at One Sixth Arsenal
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:Comes from the Latin gubernō (to govern). Greek has the same word (kubernáō).

Of course it comes from Latin. But I never thought to derive that from Greek kybernao. Thanks.


_________________
I'll be back!
View user profile http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com
shazzdan wrote:Love me some Saint Crow. Good to see all the photos collected together.

Thank you Shazzdan! I felt like The Radio Kings needed a presence here on OSF.

Stryker2011 wrote:I am SO looking forward to the further adventures of St. Crow and his ladies.

Man Stryker2011, you have no idea how happy that makes me to hear. It genuinely stokes the flames and gets me going.

So, here's the crazy part. I realized now that I have 10 figures in the Radio Kings world, all in various stages of completion. I so need to start photographing, but I keep finding reasons to put it off. Something's not quite done yet, or wanting to build a background before I shoot pics. A few characters I think need something, or some I hit a wall designing. Some I just can't seem to name. I think when it all comes together, it might be a landslide of photoshoots, if I can just get out of my own way.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I know exactly how you feel.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Blackpool, you have no idea what it means for me to hear that comparison.  Out of all the people I know doing custom figures, Dorgmal Snow is the man.  I love his character designs so much.  There's an aesthetic to his work that obsesses me, and his craftsmanship is unparalleled.  Him and BHead are without doubt the 2 biggest inspirations for me doing to custom figures, so to even be compared (although I still feel miles from his level) means the world.  Seriously, thank man.  

You're welcome, I really mean that, when I see your pics I have the very same feeling as when I browse Dorgmal's work, it's beyond figures and dioramas, it's a complete universe with its history and context, the figures are real characters with backgrounds, emotions, goals... I have the greatest admiration for the people with such imagination and creativity, the dedication and talent to make it happen and even better make it last!

When I see your work I only wish there was a novel, a comic, or a movie to get more of it lol, It gives me some echoes from blade runner, mad max, the book of eli, cowboy bebop... I love that!

View user profile
All the Words are already used.... Amazing ...fantastic..Brilliant. It´s Amatasticliant ! I love it !
can´t remember the last Pic. It´s a Bonus ?

View user profile
A most welcomed megapost Rev !!
Thank you for bringing the gang over to OSF..!
I have your post from the other place bookmarked for inspiration !
Just amazing work dude.


_________________
View user profile
Allotropos wrote:A most welcomed megapost Rev !!
Thank you for bringing the gang over to OSF..!
I have your post from the other place bookmarked for inspiration !
Just amazing work dude.

Oh man, so glad re-posting these has been so well received! And seriously Allotropos, it means the world that these could provide some inspiration.  

Ephiane wrote:All the Words are already used.... Amazing ...fantastic..Brilliant. It´s Amatasticliant ! I love it !
can´t remember the last Pic. It´s a Bonus ?

Thanks so much Ephiane.  And good eye! Now that you mentioned it, I don't think I had posted that last shot previously. I think I actually shot it a few days before the rest of the shoot. It was snowing out like crazy, my office was closed for the day, and I wanted to try to get that cozy feeling of being snowed inside. So glad you dig it!

blackpool wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Blackpool, you have no idea what it means for me to hear that comparison.  Out of all the people I know doing custom figures, Dorgmal Snow is the man.  I love his character designs so much.  There's an aesthetic to his work that obsesses me, and his craftsmanship is unparalleled.  Him and BHead are without doubt the 2 biggest inspirations for me doing to custom figures, so to even be compared (although I still feel miles from his level) means the world.  Seriously, thank man.  

You're welcome, I really mean that, when I see your pics I have the very same feeling as when I browse Dorgmal's work, it's beyond figures and dioramas, it's a complete universe with its history and context, the figures are real characters with backgrounds, emotions, goals... I have the greatest admiration for the people with such imagination and creativity, the dedication and talent to make it happen and even better make it last!

When I see your work I only wish there was a novel, a comic, or a movie to get more of it lol, It gives me some echoes from blade runner, mad max, the book of eli, cowboy bebop... I love that!

Man Blackpool, too kind.

I really do have SO MUCH backstory on the world of the Radio Kings. I've been really considering taking a shot at writing it out as a novel or series of novels. If I had the right artist, I'd start on a comic in a heartbeat.  I am planning to experiment with something a bit more narrative with figures at some point soon.  But I really feel like I need to find a way to share this colossal story that's just rattling around in my head.  I just never feel like I can find the time, and whatever time I have, I just keep going back to the figures themselves.  But the encouragement from you guys really makes me want to make it happen.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh man! I saw you had posted and I was really hoping for some new photos. You tricked me! Evil or Very Mad

ReverendSpooky wrote:I really do have SO MUCH backstory on the world of the Radio Kings. I've been really considering taking a shot at writing it out as a novel or series of novels. If I had the right artist, I'd start on a comic in a heartbeat.  I am planning to experiment with something a bit more narrative with figures at some point soon.  But I really feel like I need to find a way to share this colossal story that's just rattling around in my head.  I just never feel like I can find the time, and whatever time I have, I just keep going back to the figures themselves.  But the encouragement from you guys really makes me want to make it happen.

All kidding aside, I know how you feel. I had a couple ideas for comics WAY back in the mid-80s when I was in the Air Force . I had even gone to art school for a time after I got out for illustration; I can draw, but I’m painstakingly slow and super picky, so I changed to English (which I’m only slightly faster at). Anyway, I had tried to get a young man, right out of art school, to work with me on a couple of comics ideas I had. Unfortunately, time and real life wasn’t on our side. By the time we were thinking about launching one of the ideas, about 4 years later, the first Tomb Raider video game came out, then a few years later the comics, etc. etc.; my idea was so close in nature to that game, I scrapped the project completely. Years later, after I found another artist to work with on a completely different project... again, time was against us, and the cable TV show Tripping The Rift came out (Yep. Another program too close for comfort to my idea). What, may you ask, does this have to do with you? My point is, don’t wait too long to get something going. If you can think of it, so can a hundred other people. And they just might beat you to the punch. The last thing I wanted was for people to say I was just ripping off TR or TTR.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Oh man! I saw you had posted and I was really hoping for some new photos. You tricked me!  Evil or Very Mad

ReverendSpooky wrote:I really do have SO MUCH backstory on the world of the Radio Kings. I've been really considering taking a shot at writing it out as a novel or series of novels. If I had the right artist, I'd start on a comic in a heartbeat.  I am planning to experiment with something a bit more narrative with figures at some point soon.  But I really feel like I need to find a way to share this colossal story that's just rattling around in my head.  I just never feel like I can find the time, and whatever time I have, I just keep going back to the figures themselves.  But the encouragement from you guys really makes me want to make it happen.

All kidding aside, I know how you feel. I had a couple ideas for comics WAY back in the mid-80s when I was in the Air Force . I had even gone to art school for a time after I got out for illustration; I can draw, but I’m painstakingly slow and super picky, so I changed to English (which I’m only slightly faster at). Anyway, I had tried to get a young man, right out of art school, to work with me on a couple of comics ideas I had. Unfortunately, time and real life wasn’t on our side. By the time we were thinking about launching one of the ideas, about 4 years later, the first Tomb Raider video game came out, then a few years later the comics, etc. etc.; my idea was so close in nature to that game, I scrapped the project completely. Years later, after I found another artist to work with on a completely different project... again, time was against us, and the cable TV show Tripping The Rift came out (Yep. Another program too close for comfort to my idea). What, may you ask, does this have to do with you? My point is, don’t wait too long to get something going. If you can think of it, so can a hundred other people. And they just might beat you to the punch. The last thing I wanted was for people to say I was just ripping off TR or TTR.

Ah, sorry for the bait and switch!  I'm actually am working on a full Marrow photoshoot now!  And I have 2 other figures I think are about done, and ready for photos.  I'm building a 1/6 garage/barn/workshop area, and as soon as I'm done, I can get some new photos of Kit (I'm fairly sure that's the name I'm going with), the mechanic from the photos above, and some new accessories she's been building for Saint Crow, and some pics of Saint Crow with his new gear.  So much I'm dying to share here!

And you're 100% right.  Time is never on our side, and no matter the reason, it won't get done unless I make it happen.  I remember reading Steven King  wrote a lot of his 1st novel on his lunch breaks while he was working at an industrial laundry, while also working as a janitor and gas station attendant.  There always is a way.  

It's terrible when something comes out, and it's just too close to your ideas for comfort.  Maybe the worst part is that it really robs you of continuing to inhabit that world you were creating.  Do you still draw, even recreationally?

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I'm looking forward to your new photos. (Really excited for the Marrow shoot -- LOVE HER!) And the rest of the photos, as well.

I've also read that about King. A lot of other authors (classic and contemporaries) have been through much the same, claiming a measly hour a day of sleep, because they had real jobs before striking it famous; though most writers don't make a living solely as an author -- those fortunate few are just that -- FEW. I'm not that motivated any more, to tell you the truth.

I haven't written or drawn anything in quite some time (years, unfortunately). About 26 years ago, when my wife and I got engaged, I wrote a short novella for her as a wedding present (and illustrated it, as well). After we were married, since I wasn't all that enthusiastic about how that 98 page story turned out, I decided to expand on it. It took me about 4 1/2 years, and it turned into a massive tome a little over 1500 pages, which I started working on the illustrations for, but haven't completed. I really need to get that one done before I die. My plan is to have it professionally bound for her in leather (I like the look of pre-1900 books, many of which were over-sized -- as this will be; so it's quite the project). I think the last thing I did some writing and illustrating on was that last comic book (a humorous, slightly raunchy, sci-fi tale about an Intergalactic Marshal, and her partner, sent across the universe to retrieve several hundred escaped inmates. Some of the jokes/gags that I had come up with I actually saw on Tripping the Rift and Futurama years later -- like I said, "If you can think of it, so can someone else.")

I have started working on action figures to represent the main characters of the two ideas that I abandoned. Oh -- here's another one. I had been working on this Conan/Red Sonja type female barbarian comic-book character about 17 years ago. The way I drew her originally, was her race was a jungle culture that had mostly purple skin, with zebra-like black stripes all over. The artist I showed it to in order to gauge his interest in working on the project, thought it would be WAY too much work to do for a continuing character, and didn't think it would work. Imagine how pissed I was when James Cameron's Avatar came out with characters (though not human) had almost the same skin designs. I hate being so slow...


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:I'm looking forward to your new photos. (Really excited for the Marrow shoot -- LOVE HER!) And the rest of the photos, as well.

I've also read that about King. A lot of other authors (classic and contemporaries) have been through much the same, claiming a measly hour a day of sleep, because they had real jobs before striking it famous; though most writers don't make a living solely as an author -- those fortunate few are just that -- FEW. I'm not that motivated any more, to tell you the truth.

I haven't written or drawn anything in quite some time (years, unfortunately). About 26 years ago, when my wife and I got engaged, I wrote a short novella for her as a wedding present (and illustrated it, as well). After we were married, since I wasn't all that enthusiastic about how that 98 page story turned out, I decided to expand on it. It took me about 4 1/2 years, and it turned into a massive tome a little over 1500 pages, which I started working on the illustrations for, but haven't completed. I really need to get that one done before I die. My plan is to have it professionally bound for her in leather (I like the look of pre-1900 books, many of which were over-sized -- as this will be; so it's quite the project). I think the last thing I did some writing and illustrating on was that last comic book (a humorous, slightly raunchy, sci-fi tale about an Intergalactic Marshal, and her partner, sent across the universe to retrieve several hundred escaped inmates. Some of the jokes/gags that I had come up with I actually saw on Tripping the Rift and Futurama years later -- like I said, "If you can think of it, so can someone else.")

I have started working on action figures to represent the main characters of the two ideas that I abandoned. Oh -- here's another one. I had been working on this Conan/Red Sonja type female barbarian comic-book character about 17 years ago. The way I drew her originally, was her race was a jungle culture that had mostly purple skin, with zebra-like black stripes all over. The artist I showed it to in order to gauge his interest in working on the project, thought it would be WAY too much work to do for a continuing character, and didn't think it would work. Imagine how pissed I was when James Cameron's Avatar came out with characters (though not human) had almost the same skin designs. I hate being so slow...

I think you'll only love Marrow more once I dig into her back story.  I'm really proud of a lot of her background, if I do say so myself.

And I hear you, that motivation is hard to come by.  Especially when, even if an idea is great, success is still so rare. It really does make sense to spend that time just doing something you really enjoy.  I think if I end up writing it, it'll just be for the love of telling a story.  If anything ever came of it, it's be pure bonus, but not the motivation to do it.  

The Space Marshal story sounds like a blast, and reminds me of the sort of vibe you'd get from some of the old Heavy Metal magazine stuff.  Now you've go me wanting to read it. And you owe it to yourself to finish that illustrated, leather-bound novella.  That is such an awesome idea, and when you can hold that in your hands, every time you look at it, I can only imaging how satisfying it'll be.  

If you ever do decide to take another crack at the figures from the barbarian comic, I bet you could do something amazing with Phicens.  I have a friend who tried out Ephaine's pastel trick to color a body, and had amazing results.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
Very, very nice work and original story. I love it.

View user profile
Megapost, indeed...

Spooks, I am in utter awe of your magnificent talents, sir - and can only gape at all this artistry with humble admiration.  This is absolutely spectacular…  

Brilliant, and ever so superlatively.

View user profile
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Very, very nice work and original story.  I love it.  

Thanks so much ThePhotogsBlog!  I'm glad to see you digging through the depth of the forum (there has been so much great work posted) and that you resurrected Saint Crow to the front page (I'll admit it, I get really happy seeing this come back up).  Stick around, I've got some more fun in the world of the Radio Kings coming soon.

PureEnergy wrote:Megapost, indeed...

Spooks, I am in utter awe of your magnificent talents, sir - and can only gape at all this artistry with humble admiration.  This is absolutely spectacular…  

Brilliant, and ever so superlatively.

Lol.  Yeah, this was done over 3 posts in an old forum, so when OSF got started, I HAD to bring the Radio Kings over, and to start at the beginning.  I was a bit worried no one would make it through it all in 1 thread.  Laughing

And seriously man, thank you.  I'm so glad you dig it.  Radio Kings is my other big story line, and it all starts with Saint Crow.  If you're interested, and you'll forgive my shameless self promotion, Marrow is the 2nd of the Radio Kings character's I've posted.  

http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t545-marrow-the-deathblessed-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

We're coming back to the wastelands real soon, and I've got some fun stuff I'm dying to share.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
[quote="ReverendSpooky"]
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Very, very nice work and original story.  I love it.  

Thanks so much ThePhotogsBlog!  I'm glad to see you digging through the depth of the forum (there has been so much great work posted) and that you resurrected Saint Crow to the front page (I'll admit it, I get really happy seeing this come back up).  Stick around, I've got some more fun in the world of the Radio Kings coming soon.



I look forward to seeing the work.

View user profile
Yeah that is new to me, thanks photogs for digging it up!

I would write more but I still have to process it all... xD

View user profile
I really love the loft set you built for this. Saint Crow and his buddies clearly have one of the coolest pads in the wastelands.

View user profile
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I really love the loft set you built for this.  Saint Crow and his buddies clearly have one of the coolest pads in the wastelands.

Thank you so much! I will admit, I'm ridiculously proud of how the loft came out. It's such a versatile background too. I actually just repainted all of the brick work (I always felt like they were too dark a red anyway) to something with a lot more weathering. I don't know if I can ever leave a project alone. Definitely need to get some new pictures up, so might be a good excuse for a new photo shoot.

I figured these types of old brick industrial spaces would probably have held up the best after the apocalypse, and seemed like a great spot for him to take over. The Radio Kings is in a lot of ways about people rebuilding something decent from the ashes of civilization, and while Crow finds himself more and more drawn in by the community that's come together in this little territory he's helped carve out, he's extremely uncomfortable with the idea of settling down, and the sense of responsibility that comes from being seen as a leader. But having a sweet spot like this to put down roots definitely would be hard to walk away from!


_________________
www.reverendspooky.com
View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
The element that causes the most damage to un-maintained buildings is water, whether in liquid form or snow. If this building were in a very dry region....Arizona desert or something like that, it would have a pretty good chance of surviving.

I've gone into lots of poorly maintained old industrial buildings here in Montreal, and I can tell you that what give our first is the roof/ceiling. The wall, if they are thick enough, can last a long time. The building work in was built in 1908 and has very thick brick walls, both inside and out. The roof however was old and rotted and a couple of years ago, a sudden micro-burst in a freak storm tore about half the roof off.

My own post-apocalyptic collection will be set in the years immediately following the collapse and so decent housing will not be the problem so much as defending it from hungry, desperate survivors who'll do anything for a chocolate bar.

These things being said, it's the details, big and small that make your set come together. I love that spiral staircase? Where my I ask did you get that?

I plan to build a diorama-set for my figures also, but haven't decided if they've taken refuge in a hunting/fishing camp in the mountains, an abandoned motel, or have they gained access to some kind of underground bunker? I'm still think about this as I build my collection.


View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum