OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Radio Kings on the Radio

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Radio Kings on the Radio Tue May 03, 2022 8:11 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Radio Kings on the Radio Img-1282_orig

So, this is a bit wild, but this Wednesday, May 4th, KMUD Redwood Community Radio has asked me on to their “Voices” show to talk about the world of the Radio Kings and read a couple written excerpts.  You can listen live through their website at https://kmud.org at 8pm PST/11pm EST.  And check it out, St Crow is already on their front page!!!

2Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Wed May 04, 2022 10:33 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
How cool, Adam. Congrats. Should be interesting. (Hopefully, you'll somehow recored it -- I'm in bed by 2 pm and don't get up until 12 am for work, so I won't be able to listen live).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Radio Kings on the Radio C8485110

3Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, how exciting! Good luck! I love you

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Wed May 04, 2022 11:25 am

davidd

davidd
And on "Star Wars Day," no less!

I'll try to remember to tune in. Otherwise, I hope they archive the interview on the website.

5Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Wed May 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Yay, will be great to hear you!

I might also listen to the record, as it will be 4 am.
But I have to to be at work at 6am. Maybe I just get up a bit earlier?

And don't forget your forum neighborhood once you are world famous, you know!

6Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Wed May 04, 2022 4:50 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Wiw exciting! Like stryker i will be askeep then but hopefully find a record or transcript Smile

7Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Thu May 05, 2022 12:23 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Thank you all!!! I have to admit, I'm really thrilled with the outcome. If anyone still wants to check it out, you can hear in their archives section for it looks like the next couple weeks:

https://archive.kmudfm.org/

You can sort by just the "Voices" show. I think they did an incredible job using the music from the story, and worked it into the show in such a cool way.

8Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Thu May 05, 2022 5:50 am

blackpool

blackpool
That's awesome Adam! gonna listen to that today at the office. Confratulations for that unexpected development of your radio king universe, this is utterly cool!!!

Just checked their site, damn that frontpage is a real blast, I think that's my favorite session of yours!

9Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Thu May 05, 2022 10:17 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It's just way too fitting that your Radio Kings 'verse ended up on none other than....the radio! :')

10Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Thu May 05, 2022 11:44 am

blackpool

blackpool
I just listened to it, and it was awesome. You got the perfect voice tone and phrasing for story telling, it works wonder with your universe! (and the soundtrack was very cool too, the intro with the Clash definitely gives a nice color/savour to the whole thing)

I hope there'll be more soon!

11Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Thu May 05, 2022 12:27 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Just listened to it too. I agree, excellent voice. Smile Congratulations on your success! Always great to see one of our own get some recognition. And how appropriate that it should be radio in this case!

12Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Thu May 05, 2022 2:37 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Yay that was beautiful! Also really connected with the customizing hobby part, how we have to dip into so many different abilities and crafts, how people one day drastically reduce their habit of making up stories for some reason and that need to create your own stuff.

And so fun I was at Frank Turner last week, didn't know the quote was based on him.

I recommend looking at this threads pictures before, during or after listening. https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2649-chapter-1-the-lighthouse-post-apocalyptic-radio-station-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

So will you vocalize more of your texts?

13Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Fri May 06, 2022 11:10 am

davidd

davidd
Hey, man! Great radio voice!

Did you have a hand in selecting the music cuts for the piece? Would you say the tracks are representative of what you visualize The Radio Kings sending out over the airwaves? Did the radio station people comb through your stories to pick out pieces you'd mentioned, or did they ask you for suggestions?

Aren't you on the East Coast? But KMUD is West Coast? How did they hear about you? Did the station contact you, or do you have mutual acquaintances? Was the interview by telephone (or computer voice link or some new-fangled thing)?

You're totally right about toy photography being our way of "playing" with our toys... and not feeling guilty! (And, yes, "admittedly, weird!"  Razz )

"Pre-collapse rock and roll on perfectly preserved vinyl." You're living out your fantasies, dreaming of the ultimate garage sale finds, eh?

The "The Lighthouse" reading comes across as powerful and moving in audio.

It was a fun, and at times deeply resonant (for me at least), segment. Reminded me of bits and pieces of odd, quirky things I would hear on late-night radio when I was younger, on AM radio when I was really young, or on edgy FM "deep cuts" rock stations when I was junior high and high school age. This show, especially the reading of "The Lighthouse", gave me the uncanny sensation of being something lingering in my consciousness, half-remembered, from many many years ago. One of those things that I would occasionally wonder about, but wouldn't have the context to even being to track down again.

I'm glad I don't have to track it down, and that I know where to find the source material.

Did they mention your website in the piece? If so, I missed that. (So here it is, for those of you who may not know:  http://www.reverendspooky.com/ )

I'm trying to figure out how to "save" the audio clip. There's got to be a way, but I've not yet figured it out.

I'm glad you were able to squeeze that "I Still Believe" story in at the end. (The song brings to mind numbers with similar concepts from earlier decades: "The Heart of Rock and Roll" by Huey Lewis and the News from the early 1980s, and "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay" by Danny and the Juniors from the late 1950s. "I Still Believe" makes a better post-apocalyptic slogan, though.)

Hypothetical question: if you were in that empty rock 'n' roll radio station, and had to make a quick escape, and only had a chance to grab five albums before the whole place went up in flames, which five albums would they be?

Or, to mix things up, which four albums would you have saved, and for fun let's assume the fifth album was one you had to grab from the stack at random without looking: what random album would that last one be -- one that you might not have selected consciously, but that later you felt your hand was guided by Providence to have saved?

14Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Fri May 06, 2022 1:17 pm

Illusion

Illusion
thanks davidd for asking a couple of questions I had been about to ask…. cat

15Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Fri May 06, 2022 8:04 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That was a fantastic listen, you have a great radio voice which I will from now on use whenever I read stuff from your world. I think many of us started customizing figures by seeing the works of others, seeing the stuff others where capable of and thinking "What if I try it?". And I too wonder when do we lose that desire to create worlds to be gods of our own tiny little worlds? I lost that for sometime and only when I found this forum did I really start finding it again.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Radio Kings on the Radio 1f60e

16Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Sun May 08, 2022 2:22 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Absolute Great ! Thanks for showing ! Now they are stars !

17Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Sun May 08, 2022 5:32 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
1st off, I wanted to sincerely thank all of you who tuned in and checked this out, live or after.  The support and enthusiasm, and all of your kind words, genuinely mean more than you could ever know.  This whole thing completely caught me by surprise, and was so unexpected.  It was so fun to get this chance to talk about the project, the story, and just this 1/6 hobby that we all share such a passion for.  I love this world, and knowing you all enjoy it as well is one of the most inspiring things for me, and is powerful motivation to keep creating and sharing.  

blackpool wrote:That's awesome Adam! gonna listen to that today at the office. Confratulations for that unexpected development of your radio king universe, this is utterly cool!!!

Just checked their site, damn that frontpage is a real blast, I think that's my favorite session of yours!

blackpool wrote:I just listened to it, and it was awesome. You got the perfect voice tone and phrasing for story telling, it works wonder with your universe! (and the soundtrack was very cool too, the intro with the Clash definitely gives a nice color/savour to the whole thing)

I hope there'll be more soon!

Thank you!  Yeah, it is so awesome to see on their front page, and they even used in their newsletter!  And I loved how they used so much of the music from the story!

skywalkersaga wrote:It's just way too fitting that your Radio Kings 'verse ended up on none other than....the radio! :')

Thank you!  Almost too perfect, right?!  I think Saint Crow would appreciate  Cool

GubernatorFan wrote:Just listened to it too. I agree, excellent voice. Smile Congratulations on your success! Always great to see one of our own get some recognition. And how appropriate that it should be radio in this case!

Thank you!  One of the things we talked about (we talked for over an hour, and they had to edit down for the show) was just how great this community is.  I got the impression her google search originally lead to my thread here on OSF, which lead to my site.  And she remarked how in the age of social media, just how amazing it was to see the comradery and shared passion of our community.  

Ovy wrote:Yay that was beautiful! Also really connected with the customizing hobby part, how we have to dip into so many different abilities and crafts, how people one day drastically reduce their habit of making up stories for some reason and that need to create your own stuff.

And so fun I was at Frank Turner last week, didn't know the quote was based on him.

I recommend looking at this threads pictures before, during or after listening. https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2649-chapter-1-the-lighthouse-post-apocalyptic-radio-station-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

So will you vocalize more of your texts?

Thank you!  I'm so psyched you saw Frank Turner recently!!!  I have tickets next month, and he's an artist that's super inspiring every time I see him play.  Last time I did, he played a full band set at a big venue in Jersey City, and then played this very intimate solo acoustic show at midnight at this awesome little dive bar that gets some of the best acts.  Pure magic.  And yeah, that song was a big part of the inspiration for the Radio Kings, so that quote was my way of paying tribute.  

I had a feeling that sentiment about storytelling would resonate with you (and a lot here).  I think we're working on some pretty similar wavelengths  Wink .

And I really should do some more readings!  Maybe the complete audio book, once the 1st arc is complete.

davidd wrote:Hey, man! Great radio voice!

Thanks so much!  This is going to be fun:

davidd wrote:Did you have a hand in selecting the music cuts for the piece? Would you say the tracks are representative of what you visualize The Radio Kings sending out over the airwaves? Did the radio station people comb through your stories to pick out pieces you'd mentioned, or did they ask you for suggestions?

I did, and they are spot on.  They are actually all the songs mentioned in the story!  "London Calling" is the title track of the 1st cassette Crow finds, "20th Century Boy" is the song that starts out Chapter 1, "Cramp Stomp" is the 1st song Crow plays on vinyl, and "I still Believe" while never specifically mentioned is written on the radio station wall.  So I was so freakin thrilled when they said they wanted to use all of them.

davidd wrote:Aren't you on the East Coast? But KMUD is West Coast? How did they hear about you? Did the station contact you, or do you have mutual acquaintances? Was the interview by telephone (or computer voice link or some new-fangled thing)?

I am!  So, cool story, the host was researching and had googled "post apocalyptic radio station" and found her way here.  I pre-recorded the readings, which I'm glad I did, since it took quite a few attempts to get through each section entirely without getting tongue tied or making any mistakes.  And then we did the interview online, just like you guessed.  Patricia, the host, was so fun and easy to talk to, and made the whole conversation a blast.  

davidd wrote:You're totally right about toy photography being our way of "playing" with our toys... and not feeling guilty! (And, yes, "admittedly, weird!"  Razz )

It so is, right?!  I do love having something to show at the end (a fun photo series) but it really is just tapping into the thing we loved as children, and probably need now, as we get older, more than ever.  

davidd wrote:"Pre-collapse rock and roll on perfectly preserved vinyl." You're living out your fantasies, dreaming of the ultimate garage sale finds, eh?

Man, for real! The apocalypse comes, this is totally my plan.  Laughing

davidd wrote:The "The Lighthouse" reading comes across as powerful and moving in audio.

It was a fun, and at times deeply resonant (for me at least), segment. Reminded me of bits and pieces of odd, quirky things I would hear on late-night radio when I was younger, on AM radio when I was really young, or on edgy FM "deep cuts" rock stations when I was junior high and high school age. This show, especially the reading of "The Lighthouse", gave me the uncanny sensation of being something lingering in my consciousness, half-remembered, from many many years ago. One of those things that I would occasionally wonder about, but wouldn't have the context to even being to track down again.

I'm glad I don't have to track it down, and that I know where to find the source material.

Man, I love that so much.  And that's exactly the kind of vibe I always imagined The Stranger's show to be, this dreamy, late night rock and roll fever dream (even when he's broadcast during the day).  So hearing this captured that vibe is just epic for me.  

davidd wrote:Did they mention your website in the piece? If so, I missed that. (So here it is, for those of you who may not know:  http://www.reverendspooky.com/ )

They didn't!  They linked me on social, and used another photo in their newsletter, where they did link to the site.  But thank you for adding here!

davidd wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to "save" the audio clip. There's got to be a way, but I've not yet figured it out.

My cousin managed to snag it, and sent me a copy.  It cuts off the last couple seconds of "I still believe" but it's so great to have for posterity.  But totally hit me up if you want a copy!

davidd wrote:I'm glad you were able to squeeze that "I Still Believe" story in at the end. (The song brings to mind numbers with similar concepts from earlier decades: "The Heart of Rock and Roll" by Huey Lewis and the News from the early 1980s, and "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay" by Danny and the Juniors from the late 1950s. "I Still Believe" makes a better post-apocalyptic slogan, though.)

I'm so glad they got that in there too!  That song's themes loom so large in the Radio Kings, and it's amazing they included.  And I love how timeless the knowledge is that there is a spirit to rock and roll that is kinda bigger than us all.  Especially in that Huey Lewis track, his acknowledgment that punk and metal are just rock and roll, and the heart of that lives in both of those genres.  

davidd wrote:Hypothetical question: if you were in that empty rock 'n' roll radio station, and had to make a quick escape, and only had a chance to grab five albums before the whole place went up in flames, which five albums would they be?

Man, that's hard.  So kinda my top 5, can't live without huh?  In no particular order:

Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound

Beach Slang - The Things We do to Find People Who Feel Like Us

Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw

Restorations - LP2

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues (Double album.  Not flawless like the rest on this list, but filled with a lot of songs I couldn't live without)

davidd wrote:Or, to mix things up, which four albums would you have saved, and for fun let's assume the fifth album was one you had to grab from the stack at random without looking: what random album would that last one be -- one that you might not have selected consciously, but that later you felt your hand was guided by Providence to have saved?

That's an even harder one, so I'm gonna kinda cheat.  I'd say either Pearl Jam's Ten, because I hadn't listened to it in close to 20 years, and recently kinda rediscovered.  Not a band I otherwise love, but I'm amazed how good this album is, and how powerfully it took me back in time.  Or The Raveonette's Pe'ahi, because it just came on while I was writing this, and I thought "god, this album is a masterpiece."

Illusion wrote:thanks davidd for asking a couple of questions I had been about to ask…. cat

Thank you!  Hope I covered them above.  So much fun stuff to answer!

Theboo-bomb wrote:That was a fantastic listen, you have a great radio voice which I will from now on use whenever I read stuff from your world.  I think many of us started customizing figures by seeing the works of others, seeing the stuff others where capable of and thinking "What if I try it?". And I too wonder when do we lose that desire to create worlds to be gods of our own tiny little worlds?  I lost that for sometime and only when I found this forum did I really start finding it again.

Thank you!  Love that so much!  And I think it's incredible how this hobby has re-ignited a creative drive in so many of us, and become an outlet for us as artists and storytellers.  It kills me how much untapped artistic potential is out there, and its such a victory when anyone finds their way back to it.  

Ephiane wrote:Absolute Great ! Thanks for showing ! Now they are stars !

Thank you! First step to my Radio Kings media empire! Laughing

And as an added bonus, links to all songs from the show:

18Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Sun May 08, 2022 6:22 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:the host was researching and had googled "post apocalyptic radio station" and found her way here

Oh my gosh, how awesome a feeling must it be to know that your Radio Kings were such a stand-out entry in that google search. :'D

19Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 am

Illusion

Illusion
ReverendSpooky wrote:the host was researching and had googled "post apocalyptic radio station" and found her way here

What a Face someone is actually googling „post apocalyptic radio station“????? Laughing Laughing
supercool Cool makes my day…

thanks for all the info (and music inspirations… I am so damn mainstream…)

20Radio Kings on the Radio Empty Re: Radio Kings on the Radio Mon May 09, 2022 9:12 am

Allotropos

Allotropos
Rock on Rev !
Finally some well needed exposure for the one sixth world and well deserved recognition of your work !
Congrats !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum