OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: ace new product: Playgirl Series – U.S. Vietnam War "Play Company"

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

DeltaForceChung

If a 1:6 brand like ace takes the effort and time to design and produce a 1:6 offering like this to attract the 1:6 female figure collectors, then I believe it's definitely an indicator of acknowledgment within the 1:6 hobby.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
DeltaForceChung wrote:If a 1:6 brand like ace takes the effort and time to design and produce a 1:6 offering like this to attract the 1:6 female figure collectors, then I believe it's definitely an indicator of acknowledgment within the 1:6 hobby.

I agree. And as onesixthwarrior said, lots of bash fodder. Depending on the price, I can see getting this.

BAD WOLF-787

I think she looks really good but I really seeing her fitting in with my medieval girls or any of my girls for that matter with that outfit so I might try to find her HS and lose and turn her a spy or agent?

DeltaForceChung

I'll get her and she'll be a Vietnam era forerunner to the current modern day VERYCOOL female shooter and soldier figure characters. She'll be like an early female "shooter"/"soldier" who was the very first "shooter".

MarkEl

Stryker2011 wrote:Boy, the vitriolic hatred spewing forth at the old site over this figure is hilarious.

That was an entertaining read!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Boy, the vitriolic hatred spewing forth at the old site over this figure is hilarious.

That was an entertaining read!

Isn’t it, though. I find it funny all those guys can spend hour upon hour assembling all the accoutrement on these military figures, but they can’t take the time to make a full length shirt (which always seems to be the biggest complaint of these female figures).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

female - NEW PRODUCT: ace new product: Playgirl Series – U.S. Vietnam War "Play Company" - Page 2 C8485110

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
In the grand scheme of things, the 1:6 military die hard collectors are conveying how they feel when a design/subject like that encroaches into what they deem and view as their "turf" coming from a long time brand they knew they could rely on.

I take it some of us would do the same if a 1:6 female focused brand all of sudden offered something totally opposite in the same manner.

Yes. We all have the freedom to comment and critique, but at the same time we all have the freedom to choose and maybe step back and let things be.

It's like getting all dressed up for a RuPaul's Drag Race convention, but entering the wrong hall and entering the Leather Bikers convention instead. Do we all get into a fuss?

It's a matter of knowing your audience as well as the venue.

So there.

PitViper

PitViper
My thoughts on both the figures and the comments follow:

I'll start by stating for the record that I'm a 99% military figure collector.  You can find some "criminal-types" in my collection (remember 21st Century Toys' Bad Guys?) but most of it is modern military, with the exception of a single female clad in the Fire Girl Urban Rescue set without the hot pants or winter jacket.  My first and only Fantasy figure.  And I think this figure classifies precisely as that - a fantasy one.  Every comment on it ought to take that that into primary consideration.  And there is most definitely a huge market for these kind of figures, but that market is not made up by military enthusiasts who mostly seek realism in their figures.  I think that keeping that in mind when commenting is also important.  

As for the figure itself I think it is pretty cool.  I love the seriousness in her expression, which IMHO makes the head perfect for military-type bashes.  The gear can certainly be used for a VietNam bash if so desired, but I agree with many who commented elsewhere that as far as realism is concerned, the figure as a whole loses it with the "shirt", color belt and the pink flashlight.  If so desired, the halter-top or whatever could be substituted for an OD t-shirt while keeping the helmet, and that I think would make a good 'Nam nurse bash.  The boots are very cool (I'm big on molded boots and to my knowledge these have never been made in female size). The M-16 with 3-pronged flash suppressor I believe to be also very much sought after by 'Nam collectors, and the Claymore bag is also way cool. The webgear looks excellent though clearly sized for a female figure, but again since there were no female combat troops in VietNam one would use it for fantasy-type bashes.

In terms of the comments here, I hope I'm only perceiving a trend that would become most disturbing if continued - one where the people on this board start some "vitriolic hatred" directed towards members of the other board.  I don't believe for a minute that that kind of comment is in the spirit of those who created OneSixthFigures.  I am on both boards daily and find them to be complementary and not mutually exclusive.  Let's all get along.  Life's happier that way.

My $0.02...

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
PitViper wrote:My thoughts on both the figures and the comments follow:

I'll start by stating for the record that I'm a 99% military figure collector.  You can find some "criminal-types" in my collection (remember 21st Century Toys' Bad Guys?) but most of it is modern military, with the exception of a single female clad in the Fire Girl Urban Rescue set without the hot pants or winter jacket.  My first and only Fantasy figure.  And I think this figure classifies precisely as that - a fantasy one.  Every comment on it ought to take that that into primary consideration.  And there is most definitely a huge market for these kind of figures, but that market is not made up by military enthusiasts who mostly seek realism in their figures.  I think that keeping that in mind when commenting is also important.  

As for the figure itself I think it is pretty cool.  I love the seriousness in her expression, which IMHO makes the head perfect for military-type bashes.  The gear can certainly be used for a VietNam bash if so desired, but I agree with many who commented elsewhere that as far as realism is concerned, the figure as a whole loses it with the "shirt", color belt and the pink flashlight.  If so desired, the halter-top or whatever could be substituted for an OD t-shirt while keeping the helmet, and that I think would make a good 'Nam nurse bash.  The webgear is cool, but again since there were no female combat troops in VietNam one would use for fantasy bashes.

In terms of the comments here, I hope I'm only perceiving a trend that would become most disturbing if continued - one where the people on this board start some "vitriolic hatred" directed towards members of the other board.  I don't believe for a minute that that kind of comment is in the spirit of those who created this board.  I am on both boards daily and find them to be complementary and not mutually exclusive.  Let's all get along.  Life's happier that way.

My $0.02...

--

Well said and thank you for chiming in.

I don't believe there is any open animosity per say. It goes against everything OSF (and OSW) stands for.

I do believe there are still some "frustrations" given the circumstances of what transpired at the OSW.

I do believe we all can and will get along and with anything/everything else there will be times when a sensitive topic will arise and how some will reply. That's the reality.

At the end of the day, it's ultimately about a how any group and its membership chooses to let it be or to quote Elsa from Disney's FROZEN . . . let it go.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Angel, if my comments came across as any sort of animosity towards the military collectors, I hope you know they were not. I think, as you yourself pointed out, that there is quite a bit about this that would be great for bash fodder, something you and I have done together on a couple of occasions. Again, if my comments were misinterpreted, for that I am sorry.

female - NEW PRODUCT: ace new product: Playgirl Series – U.S. Vietnam War "Play Company" - Page 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PitViper -- I second DFC, well put. I don't believe anyone intended a stab at the old forum, though rather a bemused observation about how negative people can sometimes get about a product they are under no obligation to buy. I have been too busy to keep an eye out there, so I don't know exactly what was said, though I have little doubt DFC and Stryker have called it like it is. Your comments, on the other hand, sound eminently fair and balanced, and I wish everyone would be as considerate.

All -- Which reminds me to say that, while I would never want to tell people what to say and think, I wish we would all remember to be considerate. People spend time and money customizing, kitbashing, or simply collecting these figures, not to mention reviewing, photographing, and writing them up. Plenty of things might not be someone's cup of tea or be lacking in one respect or another. But perhaps instead of saying everything we don't like or even "easy pass," we could say "I like this about the figure" and "I wish it also featured that." I am not saying this is kindergarten and we are all delicate snowflakes who must be reassured no matter what at every turn, but it seems to me that that would be both more constructive and less negative.

PitViper

PitViper
@Stryker2011 - no need to apologize buddy.  My comments were more of a reaction towards a general perception of the comments been written as opposed to been directed towards anyone specifically.  And I've always appreciated our deals, splitting boxed sets to each one's needs has been great, something we've done several times in the past.  By the way, on this particular one it is the nude figure the one thing that interests me...go figure...

@GubernatorFan - as I said before, this was a comment based on a gut feeling more than anything.  Though personally I am fed up with much of the overplayed PC that permeates human interaction nowadays, I try for the most part to be considerate as you said yourself.  There's plenty of room in this great hobby of ours for each one of us to find their niche without having to trash other's preferences.  I am guilty though of using the "easy pass" comment way too often...but I do like your suggestion of finding the positive in new releases.  Having said that, someone will have to satisfactorily explain to me the whole Synthetisches Menschliches line... lol!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
PitViper wrote:By the way, on this particular one it is the nude figure the one thing that interests me...go figure...

Ha! That’s funny. ‘Cause I’m actually interested in quite a bit of her gear this time, including the helmet and head sculpt. Let me know if you want to do another split.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PitViper wrote:Having said that, someone will have to satisfactorily explain to me the whole Synthetisches Menschliches line...

I don't get it either, but whoever likes it can go for it. Or kitbash fodder?

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
PitViper wrote:Having said that, someone will have to satisfactorily explain to me the whole Synthetisches Menschliches line... lol!

--

Sure.

It's mostly about having an interest in the mechanoid aesthetics like EX MACHINA along with I ROBOT in a humanoid 1:6 form.

If female versions of them were more readily available, then my collecting budget will be impacted . . . significantly.

dadrab

dadrab
Wonder why some folks got all hacked about this figure? It's clearly a flight of fancy as there were no women assigned field combat duties in Vietnam. There were women there, but as doctors, nurses, clerks, air traffic controllers, etc.

When we begin to lose sight of the fact that they're toys, all bets are off.

MarkEl

I really like this figures because it says something about the era. I’m saying this in an agnostic and apolitical way GF, but it combines the military with hat tips to the countercultural. Look at the helmet logo, necklace, belt and bracelet. Even the pink flashlight. It’s like a hippy was drafted, and by the looks of her expression, she’s a bit pissed off about it. It’s historically clever by combining themes while potentially appealing to several niches at once.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
MarkEl wrote:Look at the helmet logo, necklace, belt and bracelet.  Even the pink flashlight. 

As someone pointed out at the old site:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26675-mx-212u-raspberry-flashlight/

MarkEl

Stryker2011 wrote:
MarkEl wrote:Look at the helmet logo, necklace, belt and bracelet.  Even the pink flashlight. 

As someone pointed out at the old site:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26675-mx-212u-raspberry-flashlight/

Oh, that’s fascinating background. Thanks for the info.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Speaking of counter-culture, didn't Jane Fonda go to Vietnam and express herself against the war? I thought this might have had something to do with it too, although she was obviously not a soldier of any kind.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Speaking of counter-culture, didn't Jane Fonda go to Vietnam and express herself against the war? I thought this might have had something to do with it too, although she was obviously not a soldier of any kind.

Yep. She went to North Vietnam in 1972 and made some typically pro-communist/anti-America/anti-military remarks that to this day still rankle many people. She tried to apologize for them years later, claiming youthful naïveté, but for many, it was too little too late. There are those that still believe she should have been shot as a traitor. (If this is too political feel free to delete, I was trying to answer your question as a-politically as possible and just give the facts).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Speaking of counter-culture, didn't Jane Fonda go to Vietnam and express herself against the war? I thought this might have had something to do with it too, although she was obviously not a soldier of any kind.

Yep. She went to North Vietnam in 1972 and made some typically pro-communist/anti-America/anti-military remarks that to this day still rankle many people. She tried to apologize for them years later, claiming youthful naïveté, but for many, it was too little too late. There are those that still believe she should have been shot as a traitor. (If this is too political feel free to delete, I was trying to answer your question as a-politically as possible and just give the facts).

Thank you for confirming my suspicions -- I had forgotten (or never fully known) the details. What you stated is factual and neutral (she did x, some people believe y), so I don't think you need to worry about the whole let's keep out of politics thing. Unless of course members start vitriolic arguments over who is/was right or wrong, etc.

PitViper

PitViper
Stryker2011 wrote:
PitViper wrote:By the way, on this particular one it is the nude figure the one thing that interests me...go figure...

Ha! That’s funny. ‘Cause I’m actually interested in quite a bit of her gear this time, including the helmet and head sculpt. Let me know if you want to do another split.

I'm definitely in for another split! I can definitely use the nude figure, but I gotta have the head. Really like the kinda angry expression, I think it makes her realistic in combat. As for all the rest of the uniform, weapon, webbing etc. you can definitely have it. Looks like we're going 180 degrees on our usual splits, with me taking the body and you the gear LOL. Let me know buddy.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
The MSRP is going to be approximately $155.00 to $160.00 USD.

It's up for pre-order at OneSixthKit.

I recommend waiting a few days and see if any US vendors list her for pre-order as well.

I'm getting six (6) sets easy.  The production run is going to be limited and I suspect this one wil be briskly sold out and the eventual secondary market price will creep as it has for other female focused sets.

If any of you want it, I seriously recommend pre-ordering it.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't seem to find it on his eBay listings. When is it expected to ship anyway?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It’s on his website. No ETA yet.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
I believe details (i.e. approximate release date) are still being worked on.

I suspect ace themselves may not know or realized how much of a ruckus (bad and good) this set would cause ranging from very critical and harsh comments from their mainstay collectors/customers (i.e. how dare you offer this?, etc.) to enthusiasm and interest from collectors of 1:6 female figure collectors.

If I had to venture a guess on a release date, it'll be 3RD or 4TH QTR 2018.

OSK is taking pre-orders now. OSK proven themselves to be reliable and trustworthy. If some of you prefer a US vendor, then I recommend Anthony at The Perfect Figure Toys. Once the details are finalized, I'm sure he'll put it up for pre-order and he's based in the US (VA). He too is very reliable and trustworthy just like OSK.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Has anyone seen this listed anywhere but OSK? I haven’t...

Skippy

I ordered her. Great expression, interesting outfit.

Just one drawback: no option of a full shirt.

I was thinking that she could be made into a war photographer, like Catherine Leroy:

female - NEW PRODUCT: ace new product: Playgirl Series – U.S. Vietnam War "Play Company" - Page 2 Bae39de9edbe76aa68be10874696e7f0

female - NEW PRODUCT: ace new product: Playgirl Series – U.S. Vietnam War "Play Company" - Page 2 71cbd0754b2d1e9bbe4633528f0b40ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum