OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

lets be a bit philosophical, shall we?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

611 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:02 am

Tjolnir

don't get me wrong, "supplements" was just an euphemism for stuff like winstrol, dianabol, sustanol and such. its a long list and with the dosages required in a professional regime, quite an unhealthy one. arguably andreas muenzer was the most shredded competitor yet he died with 36 years of age. his autopsy showed his liver to be half cancerous and half styrofoam like.
mike matarazzo died with i think some 40 years, was known for some of the if not the best calves on stage.
and ronnie coleman sits partially in a wheelchair, the other time he needs some walking support. cheerful as always and very likable, his only regrets was not doing 4 reps with 800 pound squats Wink

it might sound weird but i'm fine with steroids being used to push beyond the physically possible, part of that belief is that every adult should do whatever he wants with his body, as long as he's aware of the consequences. and those consequences were what kept me from going on a second cycle for i had to up the dosage for the body to respond in the same fashion.
so you might say i quite enjoy today's physique in the olympia minus the bubble gut, which is a byproduct of growth hormones, basically "everything" well, grows.
and in my book markus ruehl definitely deserved the title at least once in his career.

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 687474703a2f2f7777772e626f64796275696c64696e672e636f6d2f66756e2f6269672f323030346f6c795f69616e5f6d726f33332e6a7067
coleman on the left, ruehl on the right(theyear this picture was taken, his form was clearly better than ruehls i must admit)

i wish phicen would bring out a body to match these guys, even the m35 would look skinny in comparison Wink

so yeah comparing the guys from the "silver" age of bodybuilding with the golden like arnold, ferrigno and oliva shows just the huge gap as when dorian yates hit the stage and dominated everyone with sheer mass.
accordingly you can see the progress of substances with dianabol being available i think in the late 50s early 60s, testosterone anyway being synthesized in ww2 and later the stuff that gave us kai greene and phil heath.

for those interested, leroy colbert(sadly deceased, died a few years ago) had a wonderful youtube channel with a lot of insights and valuable tips, which is still active by the way.
he stemmed from the age of bodybuilding where very few stuff was around and had some of the best arms of the time.

one might not like the look of today's pro athletes, personally though i prefer the mass monsters.
cheers

oh by the way, thats some awesome eastwood, the level of detail is amazing.

621 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 am

skywalkersaga

Thank you for sharing that, Roger! It’s absolutely gorgeous, though I would expect no less from Mr. Carnall. And thanks also for the clarification — ‘kits’ it is, then. Smile

631 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:48 am

shazzdan

Rogerbee wrote:We still call them kits. Incidentally Darren did actually do a series of videos in which he built and painted a garage kit of Clint Eastwood. This was right up my alley! He showed the amount of detail you can add to a kit simply by painting it the right way. The end result was pretty spectacular

That's a gorgeous paintjob. I could paint a little when I was younger but wouldn't even attempt it these days. My hands shake and my eyes aren't sharp enough to deal with the finer details.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

641 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 am

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Tjolnir wrote:don't get me wrong, "supplements" was just an euphemism for stuff like winstrol, dianabol, sustanol and such. its a long list and with the dosages required in a professional regime, quite an unhealthy one. arguably andreas muenzer was the most shredded competitor yet he died with 36 years of age. his autopsy showed his liver to be half cancerous and half styrofoam like.
mike matarazzo died with i think some 40 years, was known for some of the if not the best calves on stage.
and ronnie coleman sits partially in a wheelchair, the other time he needs some walking support. cheerful as always and very likable, his only regrets was not doing 4 reps with 800 pound squats Wink

it might sound weird but i'm fine with steroids being used to push beyond the physically possible, part of that belief is that every adult should do whatever he wants with his body, as long as he's aware of the consequences. and those consequences were what kept me from going on a second cycle for i had to up the dosage for the body to respond in the same fashion.
so you might say i quite enjoy today's physique in the olympia minus the bubble gut, which is a byproduct of growth hormones, basically "everything" well, grows.
and in my book markus ruehl definitely deserved the title at least once in his career.

coleman on the left, ruehl on the right(theyear this picture was taken, his form was clearly better than ruehls i must admit)

i wish phicen would bring out a body to match these guys, even the m35 would look skinny in comparison Wink

so yeah comparing the guys from the "silver" age of bodybuilding with the golden like arnold, ferrigno and oliva shows just the huge gap as when dorian yates hit the stage and dominated everyone with sheer mass.
accordingly you can see the progress of substances with dianabol being available i think in the late 50s early 60s, testosterone anyway being synthesized in ww2 and later the stuff that gave us kai greene and phil heath.

for those interested, leroy colbert(sadly deceased, died a few years ago) had a wonderful youtube channel with a lot of insights and valuable tips, which is still active by the way.
he stemmed from the age of bodybuilding where very few stuff was around and had some of the best arms of the time.

one might not like the look of today's pro athletes, personally though i prefer the mass monsters.
cheers

oh by the way, thats some awesome eastwood, the level of detail is amazing.

Those guys are crazy!

I guess, with the amount of money they make, they can afford to get their clothes custom made. Their necks alone look thicker than both my thighs put together.

651 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you for sharing that, Roger! It’s absolutely gorgeous,  though I would expect no less from Mr. Carnall. And thanks also for the clarification — ‘kits’ it is, then. Smile

Yeah, I doubt I'll be as good as him when I get going again, but, I'll give it my best shot. This Regan was the last thing I finished I think:

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 W2UPIkk

661 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:

That's a gorgeous paintjob. I could paint a little when I was younger but wouldn't even attempt it these days. My hands shake and my eyes aren't sharp enough to deal with the finer details.

I hear you, I haven't tackled anything since I've needed to wear glasses, so, I'll see how I go....

671 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The Eastwood kit is amazing, and great job on the Regan.

As for the body types, it would be beneficial if TBLeague does offer more types, colors, and sizes/heights. Personally, I'd rather see more average and more "silver age" offerings, as I think they will be applicable to a much larger set of purposes and historical eras.

681 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:The Eastwood kit is amazing, and great job on the Regan.

As for the body types, it would be beneficial if TBLeague does offer more types, colors, and sizes/heights. Personally, I'd rather see more average and more "silver age" offerings, as I think they will be applicable to a much larger set of purposes and historical eras.

Totally agree.  TBLeague would do well to put out more average type male bodies.

691 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:The Eastwood kit is amazing, and great job on the Regan.

Thanks, just hope I still know what to do.....

701 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stunning work, Roger!!

And yeah, I’m with you guys on the more ‘average’ male body types, as it would be nice to match some of the recent female bodies in that regard. I’d also like to see more ‘regular’ muscular ones of different shapes, sizes, and heights. There’s the M32, but even that one isn’t always quite what I’m looking for. And no offence to the rest of the existing muscular tbleague bodies, but I’m not super keen on how ‘compact’ they are in the arms and torso , as it gives them too much of that artificial body-builder look. Top of my personal wish list for male seamless body would be a tall, broad-shouldered, muscular-but-still-lanky/long-limbed one! And no, not the crazy-tall basketball player they already did. That one’s arms are too skinny, imo. The closest I can think of to compare what I’m talking about to someone in RL is Joel Kinnaman.... *heart eyes*

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

711 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
sadly the monetization in bodybuilding, mr. o in particular, is laughable compared to other sports such as soccer. all the while these guys risk their lives while those dropping on the green on purpose while chasing a leather ball make millions.

100k for first place mr. olympia is nothing when you have to spent 15-20k a month on steroids. sure, sponsors are keeping them above water, still for all their hard effort and dedication they deserve at least tenfold.

think about training for 12 months spending thousands on food and roids, placing third or lower based on politics and going home with 20k for the whole year. if it wasnt for sponsors i don't think anyone would waste their health on the sport. Sad

721 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:05 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
It has nothing to do with how much work or effort is involved. Female soccer players train just as hard and make just as many sacrifices as their male counterparts but get paid a tiny fraction of a man's salary. Salaries and prizes are directly related to the viewing audience on TV. The percentage of the population who tune in to watch a body building contest is pitifully small and most of those are bodybuilders themselves. A lot of the mainstream community considers these people to be either jokes or freaks, not serious athletes.

731 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 am

Delanie

Delanie
When all is said and done the way you look, or present to the world is entirely up to the individuals concerned as long as it does not impact negatively on those around them. The individual in question however should be aware of the consequences of their actions and not demand special treatment because of it.

741 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 am

Ovy

Ovy
On competition: Interesting views you all have on competition. I am not the most competitive person myself, but I think the main goal of competition should be exploring and pushing your own skills, and well, then maybe do the winning. Lack of material leads to creativity, and so does a lack of time or a deadline. Short, results might be different. Not exactly better or worse, but different.

On bodybuilding: Funny that you mention Markus Rühl, Tjolnir!
One of my school buddies, Oliver - just a friendly Gameboy kid, then - started pumping in seventh or eight grade. Arnie Fan, like our Gubernator. He is acquainted with Rühl, we are all from the same area and Rühl's fitness studio is nearby.

That's what Oli looks like now. Well I guess now he is clothed and not tansprayed. If he was a 1/6 figure, one might say the head sculpt is too nice for the body, ha. Anyway he won some Natural bodybuilding competitions, but I don't know the details.
1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Foto-12

His Bachelor Thesis is on calorie restriction. Interesting read, but I don't understand everything, I guess you will understand it better.
(Und Warnung to the rest,  it ist in German):
https://edubily.de/tipps/kalorienrestriktion-ein-ueberblick-zum-stand-der-forschung/

751 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:07 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:On competition: Interesting views you all have on competition. I am not the most competitive person myself, but I think the main goal of competition should be exploring and pushing your own skills, and well, then maybe do the winning. Lack of material leads to creativity, and so does a lack of time or a deadline. Short, results might be different. Not exactly better or worse, but different.

Just to clarify, when I was talking about 'competition' above, I was not referring to actual, structured types of competitions that one enters into willingly to compete and hopefully win points, titles, prizes, etc. I mean goodness, I used to show Arabian horses on the 'A' circuit back in my youth, so I'm certainly not against formal shows, sports matches, tournaments, or competitions. Rather, I was referring to participating in a hobby for fun, only to look around and realize, belatedly, that you have been 'entered' into a kind of informal 'competition' completely against your will and knowledge, without even wanting to be in one. And while that kind of attitude thankfully doesn't seem to exist here, I have encountered it on other hobby forums, where every figure posted gets measured, mercilessly, against some kind of invisible, ever-shifting standard, and thus it turns things into a negative kind of competition -- well, at least, it seems negative in my eyes, since I'm not personally keen on overly-competitive attitudes to begin with, and having to facing that kind of thing just makes me shut down internally. So I was referring to a particular sort of competitive attitude rather than saying 'all competition is bad'. And really, I don't claim any of it is 'bad', just that I personally cannot handle being around it.

761 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 am

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Ovy wrote:On competition: Interesting views you all have on competition. I am not the most competitive person myself, but I think the main goal of competition should be exploring and pushing your own skills, and well, then maybe do the winning. Lack of material leads to creativity, and so does a lack of time or a deadline. Short, results might be different. Not exactly better or worse, but different.

On bodybuilding: Funny that you mention Markus Rühl, Tjolnir!
One of my school buddies, Oliver - just a friendly Gameboy kid, then - started pumping in seventh or eight grade. Arnie Fan, like our Gubernator. He is acquainted with Rühl, we are all from the same area and Rühl's fitness studio is nearby.

That's what Oli looks like now. Well I guess now he is clothed and not tansprayed. If he was a 1/6 figure, one might say the head sculpt is too nice for the body, ha. Anyway he won some Natural bodybuilding competitions, but I don't know the details.
1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Foto-12

His Bachelor Thesis is on calorie restriction. Interesting read, but I don't understand everything, I guess you will understand it better.
(Und Warnung to the rest,  it ist in German):
https://edubily.de/tipps/kalorienrestriktion-ein-ueberblick-zum-stand-der-forschung/

da bleibt mir nur zu sagen : STABIL cheers

great form, especially like the veins pop out. looks awesome in my book. had leg day yesterday and ever seeing a video of tom platz training, well you could say i look like an idiot while having fun and never again skipping leg day Very Happy

oh yeah and me being the small guy around cheering myself up with YEAH BUDDY.... LIGHTWEIGHT... i guess people got used to it by now.

771 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Delanie

Delanie

And now I'm going to upset a few gentlemen ...... Sorry guys and I'm speaking as a woman , in my opinion those pictures of people above (not the models which look awsome btw) look down right nasty I don't mind a well toned man with broad shoulders and narrow hips but muscles on muscles yeuk definately not my cup of tea and i certainly would not want to wake up next to any of them

sorry about the rant.

With regard to the original post /track I have many collections, I have invested a lot of time and money in my hobbies and it gives me great pleasure to do the best i can. I do not have a great deal of disposable income so usually have to get what i can when i can. I find its the building i enjoy the most and this is one of the things i enjoy about this hobby it seems to lead me on to learn new skills I've learned to sew minature dresses on my sewing machine I'm now learning about leather craft thanks to the horse i bought so all i can say is at the moment i'm enjoying myself and thanks to you folks I'm enjoying the company

781 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It's ok, Delanie, you are not alone in that preference... Wink  

And for what it's worth, I am thankful that you share your projects with us here, I've especially been finding your tack-making efforts very inspiring.  I love you

791 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yeah, your contributions are always valued.

Regarding time, the trap I'd always find myself falling into was rushing a project thinking that people were impatiently waiting for another post. You have to take the time you need to get what you need to do done, it's your time that matters, not theirs.

801 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:50 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very well said, Roger.

811 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:59 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
Yeah, your contributions are always valued.

Regarding time, the trap I'd always find myself falling into was rushing a project thinking that people were impatiently waiting for another post. You have to take the time you need to get what you need to do done, it's your time that matters, not theirs.

So true, Roger. So true.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 C8485110

821 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Delanie

Delanie
Thank you folks I agree with the time thing I have also ruined things by rushing them. my leather and tools came this week but i have to build the saddle tree first.

831 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I've collected quite a few scales, 1/32, 1/18 and 1/6, I do appreciate the things I've collected and I do occasionally check to see if they are fine but it's not something I obsess over, I originally simply bought figures and that was it, wasn't until the early 2000's that actually started to kitbash as it is known. My original figures back then where all over the place and I didn't want to do too much to them (like taking my only uniform and dipping it in some acrylic wash!) so they didn't look good, it took some time, experimenting, reading and learning to get to where I am (which isn't amazing but I'm happy thus far). It then took a bunch more time for me to learn how to do stuff like pouches, bags and belts that appeared in scale more or less so for me doing this is just a way to be creative basically, I don't chase after expensive figures or care about the latest releases, I search ebay for cheap items that I can patch together and get a result (like some of my non canon SW troopers) simply because I enjoy that challenge of having cut up a bunch of trooper armor and figuring out how the hell am I going to piece this back together.

Another thing that I mix up with this hobby is writing, whenever I'm making something sci-fi or alt-history(very rare) or fantasy (legendary rarity) I like to sit down and figure out that world, what am I making, whats the culture/society like, whats sort of technology do they have, what type of government it is, how do they view other people or races. Without that frame work holding up that scifi or fantasy figure I lose interest, all I can see is a bunch of mismatched pieces thrown together. I actually think I didn't answer the question, I'll have to sit this one and think carefully, chose sociology over philosophy in college lol.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! 1 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 1f60e

841 - lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? - Page 3 Empty Re: lets be a bit philosophical, shall we? Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 pm

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
Recently busy for work, I am less coming here for a while....I don want to see all replies that make more complicated to my understanding, so whatever you are going on, I am trying to explain your first question...... What a Face

I don't see the problem between life and 1/6 collections, maybe I am still too poor to make it "interrupts" enough to my daily life, so far I have 40++ with me, including headless spare bodies.....

Whatever you are doing, I am bet you want to going to a better living, even you want to sell your house to get a smaller house, it doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice something to fulfill it, unless you need to sell your figure for your other expenses, that is another story and I am personally support you to do that.

These collections work like trophies for me and they will stay with me as long as they intact, I don't know how these collection rule the role in your eyes.....but, just keep them with you as long as possible What a Face What a Face Suspect

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum