OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

ThePhotogsBlog

Ovy wrote:Haha, yeah I remember the negative waves and the color gun. Also the burning bridges intro song was nice. One of my favourite feel good war movies...well. I started a 1:35 project once with colorful 'peace tanks', one m48 tank driver was based on Donald Sutherland.

And Sound Fury is hilarious, could totally see Marrow in there having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSiLL8U3vo

Lynkhart

Your ability to weave a narrative without using a single word is unparalleled and let’s face it, it’s always a delight to see Crow’s fantastic abode! <3 (like, seriously though, I need all the closeups of literally everything in there, it’s gorgeously grimy, yet cosy and obviously well lived in. It’s a difficult balance to get right and you’ve nailed it! So often post apocalyptic stuff just ends up being rust upon grime upon rust, which might look great, but it’s not really what most people would enjoy living in if they could help it!)

I love the fact that he made a valiant effort to hold his sheet up throughout, until Marrow jumped him, that is! XD The shots of them falling backwards into the sofa are perfectly done - they really look like stills from a film or something, there’s so much movement, and I particularly love the shot when she jumps on his back as it’s such a dynamic pose, which could so easily have looked, well, posed, but it has so much spontaneity about it which is wonderful.

I definitely got the impression there was something between them, but I liked that it was left kind of ambiguous.

Also wondered, did it come across that she sorta broke in while he was sleeping, and had been making the mask with all the strange materials spread on the coffee table?

That was my first impression! The fact he lowered his gun upon seeing her and trudged down to see what she was up to made me think this was a fairly regular occurrence. XD

(Also, I hate to say it but Marrow, you really need a fresh pair of undies, those ones look decidedly...worn. XD)

One of the things I think is really neat with the Radio Kings, is that it's actually fairly long after the collapse of our society (thinking between 50-100 years, although I'm still working the kinks out of that detail) and is so far removed that our society is practically ancient history to them

This is one of my favourite post apocalyptical tropes actually, it lets you keep stuff from our era that you like for aesthetic reasons, and create a whole new society around the remains of everything else! I don’t know if you’ve played it, but Horizon: Zero Dawn did this phenomenally well, albeit with giant robot animals and more Neolithic tribal societies. The game takes place around 1000 years after humanity crumbled, so you get to explore the literal ruins of cities and see folk contemplating how their ancient ancestors lived with the same sense of wonder we have now when thinking of our own long gone civilisations; old wristwatches and broken mugs being traded as valuable talismans to be revered for example.

Also hell yes, bagpipes are awesome! I’m not just saying that because I’m Scottish (lol) but honestly though, there’s just something about the sound that sinks right into your bones and every time I hear it I just want to go marching on a moor somewhere, sword in hand. There was an international piping tournament in Glasgow recently where some of the bands would practice outside the concert hall and it was wonderful to hear, you could practically taste the sound. Obviously my phone did them no justice at all. Sad

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1JhvcNHXhO/?igshid=1m5fe5uas2qkw

http://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.co.uk

ThePhotogsBlog

On the issue of bagpipes and boom boxes, I once did something similar in the army. I was the senior NCO teaching a course in Valcartier Qc. I was training the men to be gunners of the Field Artillery, (my branch) but there was a phase of the training before that in which we were just teaching them the basics of being a soldier and holding a defensive position. A long story short, I conducted a night attack to the sound of bagpipes from a boom box after first throwing a bunch of smoke grenades and artillery simulators (big firecrackers with a built in whistle to simulate an incoming shell) There were twenty or so defenders and only four attackers, but they were so confused by the unexpected they thought they were being attacked by a much larger force.

skywalkersaga

Regarding scene itself and also the relationship stuff: 

While it wasn't 100% clear that Marrow had broken in, it *was* obvious that St. Crow was certainly not expecting to hear/smell whatever she was doing, and that she'd taken him a bit by surprise. I think I would have understood better that she'd broken in if I'd been aware of their sleeping arrangements to begin with, if that makes sense. But that was not an issue at all with following the story you were telling. I also agree with Lynkhart that the poses you had them in during that 'falling' sequence were SO well done, and makes me realize I REALLY need to practice posing more! Wink 

The relationship dynamics you describe between St. Crow and Kit and Marrow were pretty much what I had guessed based on what little could be gleaned from observing their 'interactions' via your photo-stories. I figured it was all a bit ambiguous... lots of UST, but nothing completely 'resolved' as of yet. ;D 

Your description of Marrow dealing with confusing feelings and emotions reminds me a bit of how I envisage a character like River Tam having to face such things. While she was never in a romantic relationship in the show/movie canon, over the years I've read a TON of fanfiction that pairs River and Jayne together, and some of it is quite fascinating. Especially since she originally started out trying to kill him ['you look better in red'] and he started out trying to turn her in to the Feds. But somehow it works??? The fact that she's a girl who was turned into a dangerous weapon, and he's a man who loves weapons so much he gives them girls' names... he seems like he'd be just the fellow to know how to 'handle' her particular dangerous brand of crazy. :'D

Sorry for the off-topic ramble -- while of course your characters and their relationships are highly unique and specific to your world, Marrow and St. Crow in particular gave me some similar vibes. Either way, I'm very much enjoying their relationship, and greatly appreciated these sort of 'behind the scenes' view of them being so relaxed and comfortable together. Considering the world they live in, such moments where they can let down their guards just a little bit must be precious. :')

blackpool

blackpool
Those narrative and background details just add more flavor to the whole thing, it keeps on being fascinating (damn I want it as a tv show!!!!)

Personally I had the "break in" part clearly as well, the poses of that "guns out wake up" were very explicit and perfectly executed (so are the points of view and angles)

As for their relation I totally understand and like that it stays a bit blurry and undefined, it actually reflects well the postapocalyptic world they're living in, the whole world has suffered huge changes, most characters have lost all relatives and everything, so I really appreciate that dual aspect of emotion bursts and quick development relations (understand sex lol) mixed with isolation and loneliness.

That makes the characters very interesting and attaching (is that how we say lol)

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Here's a clip from the film where Odball's tanks are attacking a German installation.  Just try to tell me that it didn't influence Apocalypse Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC4lVoCFZvk

There's also a hilarious spaghetti western scene later on, as homage to Clint Eastwood's work with Sergio Leone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csv1wXOr5tY

I could definitely see it being an inspiration.  The music for that tank attack is perfect, and that western showdown with the tank is great.  I really do need to give this a proper watch.  And damn, it's crazy seeing all of those guys so young!

Ovy wrote:And Sound Fury is hilarious, could totally see Marrow in there having fun.

Yeah, Sound & Fury looks like it might have a lot of DNA in common with the Radio Kings.  I think me and Sturgill Simpson could definitely hang.

Lynkhart wrote:Your ability to weave a narrative without using a single word is unparalleled and let’s face it, it’s always a delight to see Crow’s fantastic abode! <3 (like, seriously though, I need all the closeups of literally everything in there, it’s gorgeously grimy, yet cosy and obviously well lived in. It’s a difficult balance to get right and you’ve nailed it! So often post apocalyptic stuff just ends up being rust upon grime upon rust, which might look great, but it’s not really what most people would enjoy living in if they could help it!)

I love the fact that he made a valiant effort to hold his sheet up throughout, until Marrow jumped him, that is! XD The shots of them falling backwards into the sofa are perfectly done - they really look like stills from a film or something, there’s so much movement, and I particularly love the shot when she jumps on his back as it’s such a dynamic pose, which could so easily have looked, well, posed, but it has so much spontaneity about it which is wonderful.

I definitely got the impression there was something between them, but I liked that it was left kind of ambiguous.

Also wondered, did it come across that she sorta broke in while he was sleeping, and had been making the mask with all the strange materials spread on the coffee table?

That was my first impression! The fact he lowered his gun upon seeing her and trudged down to see what she was up to made me think this was a fairly regular occurrence. XD

(Also, I hate to say it but Marrow, you really need a fresh pair of undies, those ones look decidedly...worn. XD)

One of the things I think is really neat with the Radio Kings, is that it's actually fairly long after the collapse of our society (thinking between 50-100 years, although I'm still working the kinks out of that detail) and is so far removed that our society is practically ancient history to them

This is one of my favourite post apocalyptical tropes actually, it lets you keep stuff from our era that you like for aesthetic reasons, and create a whole new society around the remains of everything else! I don’t know if you’ve played it, but Horizon: Zero Dawn did this phenomenally well, albeit with giant robot animals and more Neolithic tribal societies. The game takes place around 1000 years after humanity crumbled, so you get to explore the literal ruins of cities and see folk contemplating how their ancient ancestors lived with the same sense of wonder we have now when thinking of our own long gone civilisations; old wristwatches and broken mugs being traded as valuable talismans to be revered for example.

Also hell yes, bagpipes are awesome! I’m not just saying that because I’m Scottish (lol) but honestly though, there’s just something about the sound that sinks right into your bones and every time I hear it I just want to go marching on a moor somewhere, sword in hand. There was an international piping tournament in Glasgow recently where some of the bands would practice outside the concert hall and it was wonderful to hear, you could practically taste the sound. Obviously my phone did them no justice at all. Sad

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1JhvcNHXhO/?igshid=1m5fe5uas2qkw

Lynkhart, I can't say thank you enough for the kind words and awesome feedback.  Especially coming from you, considering how well your Max & Juno scenes capture so much of the warmth and intimacy of their relationship.  I love that you feel that way about Crows loft, since I feel like more grime is the EXPECTATION of any sort of post apocalyptic fiction, but I agree with you completely.  It's not a squat that he's holed up in for a night, but a place he actually lives, and would be reasonable up-kept (even though I'm sure a part of the allure of post-apocalyptic fiction is the fantasy of never having to clean the toilet or wash the dishes ever again.  I know it is for me).  And I'm so happy that sense of motion came through.  It's always a huge part of what I'm always kinda reaching for, so hearing I pulled it off means a lot.

I definitely like the idea that this is something that she just does.  She's a bit like a house cat (a VERY deadly house cat) that just does her own thing and comes and goes unannounced and uninvited. And very relieved to know that how she was building the mask came across.

Funny story for her underwear - It was actually a pristine white before this shoot, and they just looked so jarringly clean against everything else, I actually grimed them up a bit (maybe a bit too much?) before I shot this.  I figure that even though I'm sure she does wash her clothes, nothing actually stays very white in this world, and even "clean" everything still would look ...  well, not white.  Other side note, from shooting outside with dirty hands, her falling over, and regular handling and reposing, Marrow's skin tone has actually changed a lot too from the original Phicen pale color.  She no longer matches other bodies, and actually has "tan lines" especially where her socks cover.  She's just a little grimey, and it just seems so fitting for her.  

I also LOVE this post-apoc story trope.  This image always kinda got me in the headspace for it

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings - Page 2 Af8ae1cb05f7859566a85591f9b35b7d

so you get to explore the literal ruins of cities and see folk contemplating how their ancient ancestors lived with the same sense of wonder we have now when thinking of our own long gone civilisations; old wristwatches and broken mugs being traded as valuable talismans to be revered for example.

And THIS is it exactly.  The idea of all we take for granted, both physically and culturally, seems so weird and alien from the perspective of a distant future so different from ours is SO fun to play around with.  I've actually been SO curious about Horizon: Zero Dawn.  Everything I've seen on it looks gorgeous, and you have just completely sold me on it.

And that piping tournament sounds glorious.  I'm so with you on the sound of bagpipes.  There's just this hugeness to the sound, especially live, that makes you want to go adventuring.  

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:On the issue of bagpipes and boom boxes, I once did something similar in the army.  I was the senior NCO teaching a course in Valcartier Qc.  I was training the men to be gunners of the Field Artillery, (my branch) but there was a phase of the training before that in which we were just teaching them the basics of being a soldier and holding a defensive position.  A long story short, I conducted a night attack to the sound of bagpipes from a boom box after first throwing a bunch of smoke grenades and artillery simulators (big firecrackers with a built in whistle to simulate an incoming shell)  There were twenty or so defenders and only four attackers, but they were so confused by the unexpected they thought they were being attacked by a much larger force.

That is epic as hell, and sounds kinda like a blast.  And yeah, really does demonstrate the shock and awe of bagpipes (or rock and roll) played loudly.  There is definitely elements of that in the Radio Kings.  Although mostly, Saint Crow just loves rock and roll, played very loudly.

skywalkersaga wrote:Regarding scene itself and also the relationship stuff:

While it wasn't 100% clear that Marrow had broken in, it *was* obvious that St. Crow was certainly not expecting to hear/smell whatever she was doing, and that she'd taken him a bit by surprise. I think I would have understood better that she'd broken in if I'd been aware of their sleeping arrangements to begin with, if that makes sense. But that was not an issue at all with following the story you were telling. I also agree with Lynkhart that the poses you had them in during that 'falling' sequence were SO well done, and makes me realize I REALLY need to practice posing more! Wink

The relationship dynamics you describe between St. Crow and Kit and Marrow were pretty much what I had guessed based on what little could be gleaned from observing their 'interactions' via your photo-stories. I figured it was all a bit ambiguous... lots of UST, but nothing completely 'resolved' as of yet. ;D

Your description of Marrow dealing with confusing feelings and emotions reminds me a bit of how I envisage a character like River Tam having to face such things. While she was never in a romantic relationship in the show/movie canon, over the years I've read a TON of fanfiction that pairs River and Jayne together, and some of it is quite fascinating. Especially since she originally started out trying to kill him ['you look better in red'] and he started out trying to turn her in to the Feds. But somehow it works??? The fact that she's a girl who was turned into a dangerous weapon, and he's a man who loves weapons so much he gives them girls' names... he seems like he'd be just the fellow to know how to 'handle' her particular dangerous brand of crazy. :'D

Sorry for the off-topic ramble -- while of course your characters and their relationships are highly unique and specific to your world, Marrow and St. Crow in particular gave me some similar vibes. Either way, I'm very much enjoying their relationship, and greatly appreciated these sort of 'behind the scenes' view of them being so relaxed and comfortable together. Considering the world they live in, such moments where they can let down their guards just a little bit must be precious. :')

skywalkersaga, I can't say enough how much I appreciate the thoughts and feedback.  Your own writing is fantastic, and as someone, who really GETS character and story relationships, that means a lot.  And you're totally right, at this point in the story there is definitely a lot of UST, as you put it.  And I'm so happy so much of their relationship does come across, or at least is compelling enough to read into it.  

As for posing, it really is just the most fun part of all of this for me. All the custom work just leads up to a few hours of me sitting around and playing with toys.  The photos are just the excuse.  

Have you ever heard of Scott McCloud's book Understanding Comics?  He talks a lot about drawing action, and conveying this dynamic sense of motion in still images.  One of my favorite points he makes about how all the action happens in the viewer's head between the drawn panels, and it's never actually seen, just implied, which I thought was really brilliant, and is something I think about a lot when composing photos.  Comics are undeniable my biggest influence in trying to tell a story with still images, and taugth me most of what I know about getting that right pose.

I have to say, I'd never heard it mentioned before, but the River/Jayne pairing really is interesting.  It completely makes sense from that context, and almost feels like a missed opportunity for the show.  I honestly think that some fan reads like this are as interesting if not more than the source material, and is a testament to why fan fiction is the thriving thing that it is.  And I can totally see the parallels to Marrow & Crow's relationship.  I'm also a big fan of the idea of 2 characters that are both screwed up in all the right ways that they just fit together.  

And I'm glad all the quiet moments have gone over so well, because I'm gearing up toward big action in some upcoming shoots.  Putting together an army of enemies and lots of blood effects.  I'm a little nervous to see how it comes together, but if all goes well, get ready for some good old fashion ultraviolence.

blackpool wrote:Those narrative and background details just add more flavor to the whole thing, it keeps on being fascinating (damn I want it as a tv show!!!!)

Personally I had the "break in" part clearly as well, the poses of that "guns out wake up" were very explicit and perfectly executed (so are the points of view and angles)

As for their relation I totally understand and like that it stays a bit blurry and undefined, it actually reflects well the postapocalyptic world they're living in, the whole world has suffered huge changes, most characters have lost all relatives and everything, so I really appreciate that dual aspect of emotion bursts and quick development relations (understand sex lol) mixed with isolation and loneliness.

That makes the characters very interesting and attaching (is that how we say lol)

Blackpool, I so appreciate hearing that from you.  Your photos are always so stunning and atmospheric, so that really does mean a ton to hear I've kept you engaged in this story.  And I so agree with you, in this type of chaotic world, no one's relationships are all too conventional and straightforward, definitely with a lot of bottled up emotions exploding intensely (ie, definitely sex Razz ).  There's a desperation under the surface of all of it (like there is in the heart of all great rock and roll), and all the characters are at least a little bit mad.  Although saying that, it's not sounding too different from now at all...

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Excellent! One of the best shoots ever! Well worth the wait, and so much to see.

Skippy

ReverendSpooky, these are wonderful customs and dioramas, not to mention the photography itself.

I've loved post-apocalyptic stories ever since I first saw Omega Man.

That space shuttle artwork was intriguing, so I did a 'Search Google for image' on it, which lead me here, and then to Yuri Shwedoff's own page.

Spoiler:

BAMComix

BAMComix
Fantastic use of the loft to add a bit of light-hearted fun between Saint Crow and Marrow Very Happy . I gotta say, the new gas mask looks awesome! bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum