OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
If you're just checking in on the post-apocalyptic world of The Radio Kings, and want to start with a bit of background and read in the order the characters were introduced:

Saint Crow: 1st of the Radio Kings - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t149-saint-crow-1st-of-the-radio-kings-post-apocalyptic-warlord-king-s-currency-wasteland-salvaged-records-turntable-and-speakers-megapost

Marrow: The Deathblessed - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t545-marrow-the-deathblessed-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

Kit and her garage workshop - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1296-kit-and-garage-workshop-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-001_orig

Traders carried information as much as scavenged wares, and word had gotten to Transmission Hold of the discovery of an old military base.  Rumors were rampant, some saying it was a subterranean compound, full of secret labs and experimental technologies.  Approximate coordinates had been recovered from a dead Citadel soldier, but so far no one who had gotten close had come back alive.  The area where it was believed to be located was severely polluted, and still-leaking chemicals made it especially difficult to reach.  Conventional gas masks wouldn't be enough, although the respirators worn by the Citadel soldiers  were said to be able to operate safely in even the harshest conditions.  They were rare, but Kit had built good connections with many of the traveling scavengers, and her reputation as a quality mechanic had most of them looking to earn her favor.  

Saint Crow was only mildly interested when he had heard.  Sure, there was an undeniable curiosity to it, but a well preserved record store would have been much more exciting.  Still, the potential for something nasty found there falling into an enemy's hands was too dangerous to ignore, so he had asked Kit to tune up his equipment and get him set up to make the trip.  

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-002_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-003_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-004_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-005_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-006_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-007_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-008_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-009_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-010_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-011_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-012_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-013_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-014_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-015_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-016_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-017_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-018_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-019_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-020_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-021_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-022_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-023_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-024_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-025_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-026_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-027_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-028_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-029_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-030_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-031_orig

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gasmask01-032_orig

Unfortunately, Kit could only get a hold of the one respirator, and much to her dismay, could not find a second for Marrow.  She hated to admit it, but Marrow's presence still made her nervous.  She was well aware of what she was capable of, and she was impossible to read.  But she also knew this was an especially dangerous trip, and the only thing she was certain about was Marrow's loyalty to Saint Crow, and would have felt better knowing she was going along to watch his back.

Crow and Kit said their goodbyes, and as always she wished for his safe return.  Unexpectedly, Marrow leaned in and silently hugged her goodbye as well.  Crow had never seen her show much interest in anyone else, let alone affection, and starred in complete surprise.  Somehow, Kit could just feel that the gesture was completely and unguardedly genuine.  But as she hugged her back, she could feel Marrow's lean tight muscles, and found herself unable to tear her thoughts away from the absolute and unshakable certainty that what she was holding was a dangerous predator, definitively and absolutely deadly. They waved goodbye, and after leaving, Kit realized that her hands were still shaking.

shazzdan

shazzdan
That gas mask could have come straight out of Fallout. I'd love to see some progress pics showing how it was put together.

Where did you find the LPG gas bottle?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shazzdan wrote:That gas mask could have come straight out of Fallout. I'd love to see some progress pics showing how it was put together.

Where did you find the LPG gas bottle?

Thanks Shazzdan!  Fallout is undeniably a big influence, so that's definitely a compliment. It was assembled from 1 of those oxygen masks that comes with a lot of pilot figures, the little vent on the front is part of an original effect grenade, and the filters are the knees from a NECA Pacific Rim figure.  Once I found all the right pieces, it was an easy assembly.

And the propane tank is one of these guys:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Scale-LOADING-TOYS-Gas-Tank-1-6-Scale-Action-Figure-NIB-/292852941674

At that price I'm kinda thinking of grabbing a few more...

shazzdan

shazzdan
ReverendSpooky wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Scale-LOADING-TOYS-Gas-Tank-1-6-Scale-Action-Figure-NIB-/292852941674

Damn. The bastards want $50.60 for USPS shipping.

MerylAkiba

Always amazing! I think this seller makes their items using a 3D printer. I havent bought from them yet. I was clicking on links within links and found it. Might be useful in the World of The Radio Kings

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-sculpt-cyberpunk-scull-head-post-apocalypse-dieselpunk-unpainting/153549043106?hash=item23c03c75a2:g:FEYAAOSwvSNcfmIV

Radio Kings post apocalyptic world makes me think of Spoon, mostly the guitars

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice additions to the plot and elements of the world of the Radio Kings and beautifully photographed too.

blackpool

blackpool
Wow!!! That's one more time phenomenal, I'll never get enough of that diorama!

Fantastic work as well on every little bit, those goggles are so badass and the gas mask is veeeeery well done and thought... Since comics are now outdated I wish there was a "RadioKings" netflix show (dave beckham is expendable though!)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another brilliant photo shoot and setup. Great stuff, Rev.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings C8485110

Ovy

Ovy
Hah, I like how I thought in the first pic: well Kit's hair is messy today, and in the second one she is trying to fix it.

I like what you did with that mask, those plusses protecting the lenses make it look much more original. I guess it might be fun combining it with other characters or headpieces.

And I wonder if Marrow is staring into gun barrels that look back at her, or contemplating about the backsides of her fellow comrades.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Hah, I like how I thought in the first pic: well Kit's hair is messy today, and in the second one she is trying to fix it.

I like what you did with that mask, those plusses protecting the lenses make it look much more original. I guess it might be fun combining it with other characters or headpieces.

And I wonder if Marrow is staring into gun barrels that look back at her, or contemplating about the backsides of her fellow comrades.

Funny, I was amused by the very same details as you. Great minds... Smile

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
stunning work as always, especially the eye for detail in terms of posing your figures. keep the good stuff coming Wink when i'm back on track i'll keep an eye open for 3d models of gas tanks to print. gaming uses up the bulk of my spare time right now.
the gas mask sure gives me a "ulysses" fallout new vegas vibe.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, this is lovely! Your writing is wonderful, and I almost didn't noticed that we'd transitioned from your written word to your visual storytelling with those photos,and then back again...the story flowed so perfectly between the mediums. The gas mask is awesome, suitably creepy and badass. Somehow I feel that Marrow, who has already escape Death so many times, will be able to weather the situation without one. Even so, you set up the tension very well for whatever further creepiness and/or action sequences are yet to come! 

The hugs are perfectly done, and I was just as surprised as Kit by Marrow embracing her. Though from experience, even when coming from a dangerous and predatory creature, affection can still be welcome. Especially since their trust is all the more harder won.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Just incredible work, definitely makes me want to play the Fallout games again. Do you have any walkthroughs of how you put that diorama together? It's so gritty and detailed, I love it. I want to make my first full fledged diorama eventually, but I'm curious about the materials and such, like mostly not spending a ton of money, if there are tricks to using common household items or anything easily accessible that can be modified.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shazzdan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Damn. The bastards want $50.60 for USPS shipping.

That's BRUTAL.  I've seen them around from a few sellers, so you may be able to find elsewhere.  If you still can't get a hold of one for a reasonable price, let me know, and we could hook something up.

MerylAkiba wrote:Always amazing! I think this seller makes their items using a 3D printer. I havent bought from them yet. I was clicking on links within links and found it. Might be useful in the World of The Radio Kings

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-sculpt-cyberpunk-scull-head-post-apocalypse-dieselpunk-unpainting/153549043106?hash=item23c03c75a2:g:FEYAAOSwvSNcfmIV

Radio Kings post apocalyptic world makes me think of Spoon, mostly the guitars

Thanks so much MerylAkiba! If The Radio Kings immediately brings a song to mind, then I am DEFINITELY doing this right.  That Spoon track is great too, and really atmospheric.  Would totally fit on the soundtrack. "Got Nuffin" is the song I've always loved from them.  

And that ebay sell is rad as hell!  I will need to take a look through what all they have.  I actually have something similar to that skull in the works myself...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTtd_kSjw_X/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

GubernatorFan wrote:Nice additions to the plot and elements of the world of the Radio Kings and beautifully photographed too.

Thanks Gubernator!  This was a fun one, and a set up for some more narrative stuff I'm going to try to do.

blackpool wrote:Wow!!! That's one more time phenomenal, I'll never get enough of that diorama!

Fantastic work as well on every little bit, those goggles are so badass and the gas mask is veeeeery well done and thought... Since comics are now outdated I wish there was a "RadioKings" netflix show (dave beckham is expendable though!)

Thank you Blackpool!!!!  Yeah, a Netflix show would absolutely be my dream. I'd still insist on picking the soundtrack  Very Happy .  I'm definitely trying to get the most out of the dio, so I'm glad no one is sick of it yet.

Stryker2011 wrote:Another brilliant photo shoot and setup. Great stuff, Rev.

Thank you Stryker!  So glad you enjoyed.

Ovy wrote:Hah, I like how I thought in the first pic: well Kit's hair is messy today, and in the second one she is trying to fix it.

Thanks Ovy! Yeah, I always kinda think of Kit's hair as this wild untamable mess that she's always fighting with.  Where Marrow just doesn't care.  And I'm really happy with the goggles too, and thought it had a bit more character than conventional designs.

GubernatorFan wrote:

Funny, I was amused by the very same details as you. Great minds... Smile

Yes!!!  Oh, that's completely intentional.  I considered adding the tag line "And Saint Crow and Marrow both like butts" but decided to see if that came across on it's own.  So happy it did.  

Tjolnir wrote:stunning work as always, especially the eye for detail in terms of posing your figures. keep the good stuff coming Wink when i'm back on track i'll keep an eye open for 3d models of gas tanks to print. gaming uses up the bulk of my spare time right now.
the gas mask sure gives me a "ulysses" fallout new vegas vibe.

Thanks Tjolnir! I was addicted to Days Gone recently, and I am absolutely fighting the temptation to jump into playing something else, and trying to just stay focused on projects.  All things in balance.  But yeah, I think gas tank's would be great props for your projects as well.

skywalkersaga wrote:Oh, this is lovely! Your writing is wonderful, and I almost didn't noticed that we'd transitioned from your written word to your visual storytelling with those photos,and then back again...the story flowed so perfectly between the mediums. The gas mask is awesome, suitably creepy and badass. Somehow I feel that Marrow, who has already escape Death so many times, will be able to weather the situation without one. Even so, you set up the tension very well for whatever further creepiness and/or action sequences are yet to come! 

The hugs are perfectly done, and I was just as surprised as Kit by Marrow embracing her. Though from experience, even when coming from a dangerous and predatory creature, affection can still be welcome. Especially since their trust is all the more harder won.

Thanks so much Skywalker!  Makes me so happy to hear you're enjoying the story (especially coming from you).  I'm really trying to experiment a bit with how I can make this more and more narrative, so hearing it's working is just awesome.  So relieved the hugs worked (one of the hardest I've struggled to make a pose look natural!).  I'm always watching videos of people interacting with bears and big cats and keep thinking about it like hugging a tiger.  It must be amazing to gain the trust of an animal like that, but at the same time, its a freakin tiger, and you KNOW what it can do, and how powerless you'd be if it decided to do it.  I personally don't think I'd ever be able to completely get that out of my mind.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:Just incredible work, definitely makes me want to play the Fallout games again. Do you have any walkthroughs of how you put that diorama together? It's so gritty and detailed, I love it. I want to make my first full fledged diorama eventually, but I'm curious about the materials and such, like mostly not spending a ton of money, if there are tricks to using common household items or anything easily accessible that can be modified.

Thank you AlKelAstra!  I really wish I did more WIP pics of this.  It's definitely the biggest and most involved dio I've done yet.  The walls are all sheets of insulation foam.  Its so great to work with.  It's light, you can cut it with a razor, and get great texture out of it.  Where it's cut or broken gives a great brick or stone look.  And cheap!  I carved all the bricks into it with a knife, which is the most tedious work, but so worth it in the end, and then I just kinda rough up the surface to get the texture right.  All painted with acrylics (big sponges are a huge help getting those uneven color patterns).  Garage door is from sheets of corrugated cardboard, painted.  Straw pipes, with connectors from some fun straw set I got on amazon (I think Lynkhart discovered them originally).  The breaker box is a repainted acrylic tray that something must have come in.  The AC unit over the door is a broken wall plug transformer and a computer fan.  And the worktable in the center is a box from Homegoods, along with the shelves (an organizer tray) on the left.  I ALWAY look at Homegoods for boxes and other things I can make use of in scale.  But if you have any questions on anything specific, ask away!  Glad to share any tricks I've picked up.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Another really well posed set of photos. I am so jealous of your sets. I really have to get around to building one this winter. First I have to stop changing my mind as to what I want to be Wink

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Another really well posed set of photos.  I am so jealous of your sets.  I really have to get around to building one this winter.  First I have to stop changing my mind as to what I want to be Wink

Thank you PhotogsBlog! Yeah man, sets are a blast. It's terrible though, I have at Least 5 Radio Kings characters done that a I've been putting off shooting until I can finish a proper set to shoot them against. I have a list of backgrounds to build, and I'm constantly grappling with which to focus on next.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Have you heard anymore about the elevator, Rev?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings C8485110

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Another really well posed set of photos.  I am so jealous of your sets.  I really have to get around to building one this winter.  First I have to stop changing my mind as to what I want to be Wink

Thank you PhotogsBlog!  Yeah man, sets are a blast.  It's terrible though, I have at Least 5 Radio Kings characters done that a I've been putting off shooting until I can finish a proper set to shoot them against.  I have a list of backgrounds to build, and I'm constantly grappling with which to focus on next.

I know the feeling. I've sent a couple of large DAZ 3D generated images of Japanese interiors to the printing lab to test them as backgrounds. The idea is to use them in conjunction with my bamboo wall seen in this image, and see how that works out. I have scaled them to the figure size and plan to mount them on foam core sections. The location will be known as "Kimono Station."

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings 48580985101_055b32a8e2_cKamiko in sexy kimono by Gary Menten, on Flickr

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Thank you PhotogsBlog!  Yeah man, sets are a blast.  It's terrible though, I have at Least 5 Radio Kings characters done that a I've been putting off shooting until I can finish a proper set to shoot them against.  I have a list of backgrounds to build, and I'm constantly grappling with which to focus on next.

I know the feeling. I've sent a couple of large DAZ 3D generated images of Japanese interiors to the printing lab to test them as backgrounds.  The idea is to use them in conjunction with my bamboo wall seen in this image, and see how that works out.  I have scaled them to the figure size and plan to mount them on foam core sections. The location will be known as "Kimono Station."

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings 48580985101_055b32a8e2_cKamiko in sexy kimono by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Yeah, I am so looking forward to seeing pics at Kimono Station! And I may have to steal that bamboo mat idea. It just looks great. Printable backgrounds are definitely the more sane way to go. Doing them the way I have can be punishing at times, but damn, I do just really enjoy shooting in them.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

I know the feeling. I've sent a couple of large DAZ 3D generated images of Japanese interiors to the printing lab to test them as backgrounds.  The idea is to use them in conjunction with my bamboo wall seen in this image, and see how that works out.  I have scaled them to the figure size and plan to mount them on foam core sections. The location will be known as "Kimono Station."

New Gas Mask Part 1 - From the World of the Radio Kings 48580985101_055b32a8e2_cKamiko in sexy kimono by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Yeah, I am so looking forward to seeing pics at Kimono Station!  And I may have to steal that bamboo mat idea.  It just looks great.  Printable backgrounds are definitely the more sane way to go.  Doing them the way I have can be punishing at times, but damn, I do just really enjoy shooting in them.

I should have something done by next weekend. I got the prints back from the lab on Friday.

BAMComix

BAMComix
That Kit is one talented lady! with all her skills, it probably helps keep Saint Crow and Marrow alive out there in the wastelands!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum