OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 Empty Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:30 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

Here again with another figure straight from the cold war. As its probably known the cold war is a time period that I find quite interesting, lots of political and social changes happened during the time. In my search for different armies of the time that weren't the typical and known US, USSR (tho there's nothing wrong with that!) I came across Czechoslovakia, a country that split itself into the Czech Republic and Slovakia without bloodshed and a country whose Airborne brigade used to wear a camouflage now know as "Clown pattern."

The Vz 60 mlok (salamander) was introduced in the 1960's to be used by the 22nd Airborne brigade, the camouflage was based around you guessed it, a salamander with very bright colors which where replicated in camouflage form, the pattern however appears to have been quite useful for the terrain of Czechoslovakia tho it seems it was never adopted by any other units or even adopted by either of the two new countries.
Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 LeFYIae
Tho they seem to wield normal stock AK's I gave mine a folding stock one.
Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 F2ffjZz
Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 3fBtZ78

The uniform I used is a soldiers of the world marine uniform that I moved the pockets around to make the jump smock used, the uniform while lacking the red spots the original one has posses a pattern very similar to the original.  I made the pouch myself, it was among the first I made. It's another simple figure, I could only find one picture of the soldiers wearing it.
Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 0v0rWdc

So with that I bid you all farewell, have a good weekend, have fun and enjoy all the things you like to do.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He looks great.

Ovy

Ovy
Very cool. That folding stock makes sense I think and looks very fitting. Nice that you made another 'non-mainstream' soldier.

Autumn forest outdoor shots would be nice, but I guess it's a bit different in Puerto Rico? Wink

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh wow, this is so cool and unique! And once again, you've chosen a culture that I have personal ties to.... I am 1/4 Slovakian, and I also have two Czechoslovakian vlcak's, aka wolfdogs, a breed which was developed for border patrol around this time. 

Thanks so much for sharing these, and for including the background information that puts your figures into context.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:He looks great.
Thank you, I do try to be as accurate as possible.

Ovy wrote:Very cool. That folding stock makes sense I think and looks very fitting. Nice that you made another 'non-mainstream' soldier.

Autumn forest outdoor shots would be nice, but I guess it's a bit different in Puerto Rico? Wink
I thought so too about the folding stock, other cold war era militaries used them too so why not them? As for autumn shots in PR, well I might have to go to the halloween section at walmart and take the photos there 😄.

skywalkersaga wrote:Oh wow, this is so cool and unique! And once again, you've chosen a culture that I have personal ties to.... I am 1/4 Slovakian, and I also have two Czechoslovakian vlcak's, aka wolfdogs, a breed which was developed for border patrol around this time. 

Thanks so much for sharing these, and for including the background information that puts your figures into context.

I'm glad that I've made something with ties to you, it does feel nice. I have no clue about dog breeds but I looked them up and those are some pretty dogs. I'm also glad to provide as much info as I can, if I can't provide it then I won't make it, I like to share what I discover. 👍

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Czechoslovakian Airborne trooper c. 1960 1f60e

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
He looks great and the only criticism I have is that the rifle your figure is carrying is an AK-47, whereas the Czech army used their own design of rifle, the VZ58, which bears a resemblance to the Kalashnikov, but is nonetheless a very different gun. That appears to be the weapon in the photo of the live troopers. I think this can be easily forgiven insofar as I don't think anyone has ever made a 1/6th scale VZ58...i've certainly never seen one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._58

The Czech army did however use the Russian PPSh submachine gun until the the late 1950's when it was replaced by the VZ58.  As PPSh models are easily available, if you backdate your figure a couple of years, you could arm him with that weapon and that would be totally accurate.  The Czech army also used the Russian SKS carbine for a time, and these are also readily available in 1/6 scale.

This being said, the only reason I know this is that I'm a firearms collector myself, Overall, I think you did an awesome job with the materials available to you.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:He looks great and the only criticism I have is that the rifle your figure is carrying is an AK-47, whereas the Czech army used their own design of rifle, the VZ58, which bears a resemblance to the Kalashnikov, but is nonetheless a very different gun. That appears to be the weapon in the photo of the live troopers. I think this can be easily forgiven insofar as I don't think anyone has ever made a 1/6th scale VZ58...i've certainly never seen one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._58

The Czech army did however use the Russian PPSh submachine gun until the the late 1950's when it was replaced by the VZ58.  As PPSh models are easily available, if you backdate your figure a couple of years, you could arm him with that weapon and that would be totally accurate.  The Czech army also used the Russian SKS carbine for a time, and these are also readily available in 1/6 scale.

This being said, the only reason I know this is that I'm a firearms collector myself, Overall, I think you did an awesome job with the materials available to you.

Thanks, I'm aware that plenty of the soviet bloc countries manufactured their own weapons but as you said, I'm using what I have available 😁, I try to be as accurate as possible but in this hobby and how much it has changed (like how little military things are being made) it can be a bit hard, that being said I have found some more or less good rifles being sold on ebay, for example I've bought some Furuta ones, not the most accurate but at least it lets the viewer get an idea of what they wielded.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Of course. Nothing I write should be taken as anything but suggestions or observations. I have a distinct advantage in that the collection I am putting together is a post apocalyptic range and need not conform to any specific historical model, which gives me a sort of free hand about things. Trying to model something as unique as a Czech paratrooper of the Cold War era is far more challenging in this sense.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum