OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I received this awesome custom by Calvin Lo (a longtime customizer and member of the OSW) who started this project on Kickstarter. I couldn't help but participate in this project to help Calvin realize his dream, which was his very shot at mass-producing (though in smaller numbers) one of his original creations. Many "old-timers" know of Calvin's awesome work in making completely original creations, and, of course, his amazingly detailed Arnold Conan's.

Anyway, I decided to give this super-cool armored bike to the "Catch Me" Assassin. It has lights in the eyes and on the top of the "tank" (though it may be hard to see in the photos, and in the ones where she's on the bike I forgot to turn on the tank lights). It's about the right size for a female -- some of the larger male figures look oversized on it, however. Overall, I love this thing -- it's a work of art, and very, VERY heavy; the gatling guns are removable, and that was about the only part that had to be assembled. The skull head, the tank, and the "stand" at the very bottom of the bike are held on with magnets. I had only one problem with it, and that was one of the handle bars broke off in shipping -- though with Gorilla Glue it was easily fixed. I mentioned it to Calvin, and he was distressed at that, and very apologetic (I told him the problem was fixed, so it was no big deal on my end); however, he would make sure they checked the bikes carefully when they packed them up in future -- as many other colors of the bike are still in the finishing stages (Calvin has been personally overseeing the pain and manufacture of the entire series). The brake and clutch handles coming off the handle bars are soft rubber and can actually be depressed. The kick-stand is movable as well.

Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red _dsc3241
Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red _dsc3239
Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red _dsc3240
Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red _dsc3243
Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red _dsc3242

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
It looks just as good as his prototype. Good to see that this project went ahead.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This is absolutely gorgeous, and works in so many different settings: fantasy, scifi, post-apocalyptic, you could even install it in Jabba's main audience chamber. Smile Glad you picked it up (I know how much you like bikes) and that you now own a bit of Calvin Lo's magic.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That’s so freaking awesome! I’m glad the break was repairable, as it’s truly a stunning piece.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

MerylAkiba

It looks like it could transform into a mech suit!

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
That's so badass!! It reminds me of Spawn's motorcycle.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:It looks just as good as his prototype. Good to see that this project went ahead.

Yes, indeed. Following along on Kickstarter, Calvin has been overseeing the entire process as designer and QC; it’s been quite the process, and he’s such a perfectionist— it’s not surprising. (Poor guy’s been losing sleep — not to mention dealing with the violence going on in HK).

Forgot to mention, the wheels are rubber and move, of course.

GubernatorFan wrote:This is absolutely gorgeous, and works in so many different settings: fantasy, scifi, post-apocalyptic, you could even install it in Jabba's main audience chamber. Smile Glad you picked it up (I know how much you like bikes) and that you now own a bit of Calvin Lo's magic.

Being able to own an original Calvin Lo masterpiece is definitely something special.

skywalkersaga wrote:That’s so freaking awesome! I’m glad the break was repairable, as it’s truly a stunning piece.

Thank you, couldn’t agree more.

MerylAkiba wrote:It looks like it could transform into a mech suit!

When he first posted about these bikes (which come in different colors), he had different custom figures riding them. He recently posted on KS that his next project once these are all complete is a rider. Not sure what it’ll be — human or mech, but it should be cool to see what he comes up with.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:That's so badass!! It reminds me of Spawn's motorcycle.

I need to go through my comics again, as I honestly don’t remember his bike.

Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Oh that's impressive and looks really good and good quality too. I know who Calvin Lo is, not personally or anything, just from seeing his amazing stuff when I lurked on OSW way back then, he was actually an inspiration for me to try and do weathering and put together my own bits.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Review: Calvin's Custom & Gate Toys: 1/6 scale Motopsycle - Black & Red 1f60e

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Congratulations on acquiring that masterpiece! So many details!
Nice to hear about the use of magnets. So you can remove the skull and tank "spine",
and it'll be good for a non-Terminator futuristic assault motorcycle.
Does it have a headlight when you remove the skull?

A for Spawn's motorcycle, i also don't recall it in the comics too.
I'm not so sure but I think the motorcycles are just in McFarlane's toy line...
Spawn Nitro Riders,

Ovy

Ovy
Just imagine a fitting black red metal biker outfit with crazy skull helmet. And then a whole gang of those.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Oh that's impressive and looks really good and good quality too. I know who Calvin Lo is, not personally or anything, just from seeing his amazing stuff when I lurked on OSW way back then, he was actually an inspiration for me to try and do weathering and put together my own bits.

You're not alone there. Between Calvin & Dorgmal Snow, those were the two guys who inspired me the most to get back into this hobby.

rollotomasi wrote:Congratulations on acquiring that masterpiece! So many details!
Nice to hear about the use of magnets. So you can remove the skull and tank "spine",
and it'll be good for a non-Terminator futuristic assault motorcycle.
Does it have a headlight when you remove the skull?

A for Spawn's motorcycle, i also don't recall it in the comics too.
I'm not so sure but I think the motorcycles are just in McFarlane's toy line...
Spawn Nitro Riders,

The skull and the entire tank (the spine & red tank itself are two separate pieces -- the spines snap onto the tank, but you have to remove the tank to access the switch to turn on the lights); there's nothing underneath the skull aside from the magnet and mount for the skull -- the "headlight" is the skull's eyes.

Ovy wrote:Just imagine a fitting black red metal biker outfit with crazy skull helmet. And then a whole gang of those.

It will be interesting to see what sort of "rider" Calvin comes up with for this. In some of the early stage shots to gauge interest, he had a couple different post-apocalyptic customs that he made (one of them was Tank Girl), and another was a mech-type/IronMan guy that looked really awesome. What the final is I'm sure will be cool.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Great review, and glad to see you picked this up. It really is a stunning piece.

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
I know the feeling of having a "Must have" moment. I do remember these and was very impressed. Then out of sight and out of mind. Glad to see one in the flesh, so to speak. Very cool looking and you pick a perfect figure to ride it. What was the price, if you don't mind. I figure it is more than usual because of its rarity. I paid quite bit for my Spider-Gwen but have never regretted it for a moment. So No judgments from me.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Great review, and glad to see you picked this up.  It really is a stunning piece.  

Thanks, Rev. And it really is a great piece.

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:I know the feeling of having a "Must have" moment. I do remember these and was very impressed. Then out of sight and out of mind. Glad to see one in the flesh, so to speak. Very cool looking and you pick a perfect figure to ride it. What was the price, if you don't mind. I figure it is more than usual because of its rarity. I paid quite bit for my Spider-Gwen but have never regretted it for a moment. So No judgments from me.  

Thanks, AFM. My pledge was $355 USD, and though it's pricey, I don't regret it one bit; from what I've read there are only 7 of this version made -- so pretty rare indeed. There's supposedly more coming (a weapons case with some neat firearms) for those of us who were members of the Old Site -- last I saw they were still in the paint production stage.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum