OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

csyeung

Thanks for sharing Asta! I think the headsculpt turned out great in the end. They really improved them from the prototype. I had ordered the cctoys ones because the proto didn't look that good to me when they announced it. They said they were working on improving it but never showed a revised version =(. I'm hoping the cctoys one turns out ok.

Skippy

csyeung wrote:Thanks for sharing Asta! I think the headsculpt turned out great in the end. They really improved them from the prototype. I had ordered the cctoys ones because the proto didn't look that good to me when they announced it. They said they were working on improving it but never showed a revised version =(. I'm hoping the cctoys one turns out ok.

R_R_X, who works with LiMToys and has connections to both Master Team and CC Toys, wrote on SSF of the updated sculpts that he thought the MT "...looks more like Ellie than CCToys's sculpt but there seems to be a wideness issue, CCToys is the exact opposite, the sculpt looks too narrow, the angry head could definitely be better in my opinion."

The "wideness issue" with the MT I see only with the angry sculpt, in that it looks wider than the calmer one. The calmer one is pretty much perfect to me in sculpt, paintwork and scale, and far exceeded my expectations. In fact, I wish MT had dropped the angry sculpt and just duplicated the calmer one with blood and dirt.

CC's original angry head looked off to me:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 Cc_toy10

I lost track of CC's updates, but it seems they changed from a very calm sculpt to one that's a bit angrier:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 Cc_toy11

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 Cc_toy13

It looks like a more intense version of MT's.

I don't know whether both of these received further updates, and since their sets have been delayed until August it's going to be a while before we can pass judgement.

glitch

I compared them with photos from the game, and to me it looks like the CCToys version is lightly more accurate. But I'm still a bit undecided on the head sculpts, so I ordered an extra calm MT version from ebay just in case I don't like either of them. lol
As for frown lines, MT did the same thing the their Jill sculpt as well. It's hard to see the expressive lines in Jill's sculpt until you play around with the lighting/shadows a bit.
I suppose that seeing how video games focus on lighting/ray tracing nowadays for ultra realism, it only makes sense that most of these sculpts (no matter how accurate) would look slightly off in real life lighting compared to lighting settings in a video game.

Skippy

glitch wrote:I compared them with photos from the game, and to me it looks like the CCToys version is lightly more accurate. But I'm still a bit undecided on the head sculpts, so I ordered an extra calm MT version from ebay just in case I don't like either of them. lol
As for frown lines, MT did the same thing the their Jill sculpt as well. It's hard to see the expressive lines in Jill's sculpt until you play around with the lighting/shadows a bit.
I suppose that seeing how video games focus on lighting/ray tracing nowadays for ultra realism, it only makes sense that most of these sculpts (no matter how accurate) would look slightly off in real life lighting compared to lighting settings in a video game.

My fall back position, if CC Toys doesn't come up to scratch, will be MT's angry sculpt.

Trouble is, I don't like bending the rubber arms on these bodies, so opt for a more relaxed pose, unless it's a body I'm not too worried about that will always have the arms covered. Angry sculpts work better if the figure is posed in an action, otherwise it could come across as standing and scowling at passers by. lol

CC Toys' Ellie has her hoody, so protecting the arms isn't as critical. Yet, her right arm tattoo makes her more than just a regular body.

With regards to the body on MT Ellie, it turns out she's a bit short.

I guess it could be a PopToys Xing as the ankle pegs look like the longer options here:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 20190807_154709_048__21083.1588139652

I was surprised they were even the longer ones, since she already seemed petite next to other female figures.

Soa Lee, the Lead Character Artist at Naughty Dog who was responsible for some of Ellie's modelling in TLOU2, apparently confirmed in a private message that Ellie's Part II height at 19 is 5' 5".

https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:Ellie#:~:text=Ellie's%20height%20in%20TLOU%20part,'4%22(163cm).

The MT figure was a bit off, measuring 10.5", which equates to Ellie's 5' 3" at age 14/15 (the museum flashback).

I searched through my body parts stash and found a bag of accessories that came with a Xing and found a pair of these:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 Poptoy41

They have to be inverted to work as extenders, and plugged onto the ball joint that extends from the leg. Filling the holes in the shoes with blue tack enables the pegs to be inserted securely.

When I measured her again she was now a little too tall.

So I hacksawed a few millimetres off all around the peg, as indicated here:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 Poptoy42

When I reassembled her, with the pegs firmly seated in the blue tack, she was a perfect 5' 5" above the soles of her shoes!

An extra benefit of doing all that was that her jeans fit better. Before they were a bit long, with too many creases.

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 51193176843_9bb9cd5866_o

Skippy

As pointed out by Monsterjo5748 on SSF there's an issue with some of the tattoo applications on these, with either "fading" or "missing areas". I've noticed it also in Facebook photos, where the upper part looks to be not fully applied.

It's not surprising, because in the past companies have generally avoided applying tattoos to this kind of material.

After reading that post I noticed there was a small section of the leaves missing on mine.

The simplest solution was to bandage her arm, which is what Ellie does in the game when she's wounded:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 Bc39v5gujtj61

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 3688100-2020060112495972

Master Team even provided a small one to cover her exposed left wrist joint.

So, now with bandaged right arm, dry brushed with rust to simulate dried blood:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 51196860726_6f0e14d337_o

And with added rabbit, that I found in the attic. lol

Because rabbits have a special significance in TLOU2.

R_R_X said that CCToys are using the same body as MT, so there may be a similar issue of what looks like a transfer not being completely applied. Reminds me of those rub off transfers that came in cereal boxes, that you could apply to the scene on the back of the box. After going over one thoroughly with a pencil, you pull it off and part of the transfer is still stuck to the plastic!

At least CCToys' Ellie comes with long sleeved hoody, so the issue will be moot.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta wrote:

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 Cc_toy11

Having no vested interest in the game or the character, it’s a shame that it sounds like this sculpt isn’t going to get made — as I can see using this for something completely different; aside from the Potter kids, and 1-2 others, there really isn’t enough kid sculpts.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Videogame - NEW PRODUCT: Master Team 1/6 Scale Elli action figure - Page 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Having no vested interest in the game or the character, it’s a shame that it sounds like this sculpt isn’t going to get made — as I can see using this for something completely different; aside from the Potter kids, and 1-2 others, there really isn’t enough kid sculpts.

I agree completely with you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum