OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFF TOPIC: How are you holding up during these troubling times?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

skywalkersaga

Stryker2011 wrote:Well, I just got notified that me (and the rest of the guys in my division) will be starting up piece-meal next week. Whew! Money was getting super tight, I’ll be glad to get back to work.

Aww, good luck... and stay safe! <3

Rogerbee

Founding Father

Yeah, I can only echo the others. We're not out of the woods yet. Stay safe.

ThePhotogsBlog

Well it looks like they are planning to gradually reopen the economy here (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) starting May 11 and our VP operations had me translate a letter and a phone message he prepared for the various factory workers we laid off at the start of this (about 1/3rd the total) summoning them back to work for the 11th and at the same time threatening them with losing their jobs if they were to scared to come back to work.  Not a pleasant task.  I had to first translate this from Third-World dictator wannabe speak into English, and then again into French, softening up the tone as I did.  

For my money, most of them will be only to eager to come back to work so this was probably a waste of time.  As far as the office staff is concerned, we have not lost a single day's worth of pay so far in this mess, and I am thankful for this.  I'm on (paid) vacation for a week as of 5PM today and plan to spend as much of it as possible shooting outdoor photos of my figures. The weather has warmed up here all of a sudden and tomorrow promises to be a sunny day.  I will post images as I shoot them and in the meantime, I wish everyone all the best. Stay safe!

Delanie

Hi folks I can only echo what the others have been saying about staying safe.

I took a weeks annual leave in the middle of march to use it up before the new leave year started in April I usually do this and combine it with a visit to my folks in Cornwall this gives me a chance to celebrate my birthday with them and get down there before Easter and the influx of holiday makers.

Well this year my week with them was punctuated by the 'situation' things were getting steadily more closed down by the end of my week the Monday I returned to work we had a socially distanced team meeting and were told to take our laptops and work from home so that is what I've been doing for the past 6 weeks attempting to monitor and keep our local government care services running as far as we can.

So what have I been doing: well my folks gave me a small 12" cube aquarium for my birthday so I've been setting that up as an aquascape by way of that and this hobby I think I've had more deliveries than ever hats off to the delivery people.

Purchases well I had my Vitruvian Hacks Pegasus arrive I ordered it via kickstarter 2 years ago! i had hoped that this would be the right scale for the 1/12 figures but unfortunately it's 1/18th and it shows oh well.

I also had a delivery of my Henry V figure so will be posting more about this later.

So now I need to go and venture into hostile territory, supermarket, with my trusty list of things I wont be able to find on the shelves and a long bo staff to ward of the ignorant and stupid (those who think 'i'm all right jack and sod everyone else' )

PS you will be glad to know I have been teaching my girls to sew and they have been sewing masks for the figures in other parts of the world/country who are affected by the virus.

Keep well and keep safe
Susanna

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I never did go back to work. Kept getting texts that said not yet. And I just got one a bit ago saying not this week. (No word yet on next week). Things are starting open back up around me — I have a Dentist appointment next Wednesday (it had been canceled twice because of this Kung Flu). We’ll see if they still want me to come in.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

OFF TOPIC: How are you holding up during these troubling times? - Page 3 C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
The problem the dentists had was getting PPE. All the available masks and scrubs were going to the hospitals.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, I worked only 27 hours last week, and until more stuff opens back up, I’m being furloughed again for another three weeks. There’s four of us in my division, and only enough work for one guy at a time — so they’re rotating us out.

OFF TOPIC: How are you holding up during these troubling times? - Page 3 C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Sorry things are still so frustrating for you in that regard, Stryker. :/ Hope things will go back to normal for you soon. <3

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Well, I worked only 27 hours last week, and until more stuff opens back up, I’m being furloughed again for another three weeks. There’s four of us in my division, and only enough work for one guy at a time — so they’re rotating us out.

That sucks, but at least they are trying to help everyone out a bit.  Here in Canada, the Federal government instituted a program to help keep employees on the payroll.  For any business which has had a drop of 30% or more in business and can provide the proof, the government is willing to pay 75% of employee salaries and encouraging, though not mandating that the employer make up the remaining 25%.  That makes my boss very happy, because while the factory guys have had layoffs, though most are back at work now, the office staff was kept at 100% strength.  So now the government is going to pay for 75% of what I've been paid, plus 75% of what we are paying the guys in our three factories.  I'm glad to know this because there is really no end in sight to this pandemic.  I really hope things turn around for you.  Getting two thirds of your hours one week in four sucks.

DarthJ

In Belgium we are slowly returning to "old normal", one step at a time. The first light in the darkness was my favorite "fish & chips" (actually more sausage & chips) reopening last week. Most shops are now allowed to open and schools partially. Everything carefully monitored.
Traffic jams are coming back too, that's the downside.

If we don't get hit by that infamous "second wave" I expect things to return to almost normal after the Summer.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I guess I am in the minority in that I don't actually want life to return to 'normal' per se... I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned from all of this and changes to be made to the way many countries not to mention the entire world 'runs' so to speak. Many deeply-rooted injustices in 'the system' have been exposed during this time, and I pray these are not quickly forgotten or swept under the rug. 

That being said, for the sake of communities and individuals who are suffering in any way shape or form during this time, I obviously hope that things improve very soon. 

I suppose I don't want 'normal' to return, but rather a new and improved version of it.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Things definitely won't return to the way they were before. They can't. Hopefully we retain the good stuff and change the bad stuff. I don't see how though. We have only just started to enter a severe economic downturn. The worst in a century. We will be dealing with the repercussions for years.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
shazzdan wrote:Things definitely won't return to the way they were before. They can't. Hopefully we retain the good stuff and change the bad stuff. I don't see how though. We have only just started to enter a severe economic downturn. The worst in a century. We will be dealing with the repercussions for years.

Agree. I just think some people [I mean in general, not on this thread!] are perhaps a bit delusional in thinking things can just go back to how they were immediately, if, as you say, ever. 

There's more to this than just economic side of it, though I agree with you on that too. It's not fun times on that score. But I guess I just hope that people's mentalities will change. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but if something like this doesn't wake people up, I don't know what would...  pale

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
skywalkersaga wrote:I guess I am in the minority in that I don't actually want life to return to 'normal' per se... I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned from all of this and changes to be made to the way many countries not to mention the entire world 'runs' so to speak. Many deeply-rooted injustices in 'the system' have been exposed during this time, and I pray these are not quickly forgotten or swept under the rug. 

That being said, for the sake of communities and individuals who are suffering in any way shape or form during this time, I obviously hope that things improve very soon. 

I suppose I don't want 'normal' to return, but rather a new and improved version of it.

I totally agree, like the old sayings "Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it"

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
shazzdan wrote:Things definitely won't return to the way they were before. They can't. Hopefully we retain the good stuff and change the bad stuff. I don't see how though. We have only just started to enter a severe economic downturn. The worst in a century. We will be dealing with the repercussions for years.

Yeah...to all those who think we are nearing the end or the beginning of the end, I say we are not even nearing the end of the beginning.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:

Agree. I just think some people [I mean in general, not on this thread!] are perhaps a bit delusional in thinking things can just go back to how they were immediately, if, as you say, ever. 

There's more to this than just economic side of it, though I agree with you on that too. It's not fun times on that score. But I guess I just hope that people's mentalities will change. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but if something like this doesn't wake people up, I don't know what would...  pale

We are slowly getting used to a "new" normal, I think but it's not a happy one.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
DarthJ wrote:In Belgium we are slowly returning to "old normal", one step at a time. The first light in the darkness was my favorite "fish & chips" (actually more sausage & chips) reopening last week. Most shops are now allowed to open and schools partially. Everything carefully monitored.
Traffic jams are coming back too, that's the downside.

If we don't get hit by that infamous "second wave" I expect things to return to almost normal after the Summer.

I live in Canada, but my whole ancestry is Belgian. Whereabouts are you? Just curious.

DarthJ

Quote : I live in Canada, but my whole ancestry is Belgian. Whereabouts are you?  Just curious.

Vicinity of Brussels.

Not so far from this castle.

OFF TOPIC: How are you holding up during these troubling times? - Page 3 Beerse10

And not so far from this church.

OFF TOPIC: How are you holding up during these troubling times? - Page 3 Bruege10

Delanie

Delanie
I agree with Sky all be this is a tragic situation for some, it could have been a lot ,lot worse. There are some good things that have come out of this though, peace and quiet, birds singing, and cleaner air.

I have been 'lucky' in that my job allows me to work from home and the team i'm in instituted either skype or phone calls daily so we don't feel isolated due to lack of social interaction.

I do not however think that this is the end of this as a lot of 'people' (insert own choice of description) in this country (UK) who are selfish and have the attitude that 'i'm not likely to get it, it only affects the oldies, I'm alright jack!, and flout the precautions.

there are however some really good people too

It will however be interesting to see what the long term ramifications are for this I never thought I'd say this but fewer cars on the road perhaps? It has made me realise and i hope it has for others just what we do need. to be honest online deliveries, with me being a home have really impressed me for instance, not sure about ordering clothes without seeing them or trying them on (I have long arms being a tall woman)

It might be interesting if people could come up with suggestions as to the changes that we might see in a pandemic / post pandemic world

shazzdan

shazzdan
Delanie wrote:It might be interesting if people could come up with suggestions as to the changes that we might see in a pandemic / post pandemic world

A recent survey of people currently forced to work from home found that 90% wanted to continue to do so after the lockdown ends. What are the ramifications:

Good
Parents get to spend more time with their kids.
More demand for IT results in more business for IT retail and maintenance.
More home deliveries results in more business for couriers.
More homemade lunches will save household budgets.
Less road congestion and less pollution.
Less congestion will result in more people riding bikes to work/school.
Less congestion will result in lower road maintenance costs.

Bad
Working from home is more efficient so less people will be required to do the same work, resulting in job losses.
Jobs will be destroyed in the daycare industry.
Less demand for office space will crash the commercial property market.
Cafes will go out of business because less people will be buying lunch.
Less demand for suits and uniforms will destroy jobs in the clothing industry.
Less demand for buses and trains will destroy jobs in public transport.
Less people driving to work will destroy jobs in the auto industry.
Less demand for transport will destroy jobs in the oil industry.
Less road maintenance will destroy jobs in that industry.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Delanie -- you make some good points. Our neighbours went nuts during the holiday weekend and threw parties and barbecues, as though they thought it being a holiday meant they [and their guests!] were somehow immune to viruses. Rolling Eyes But then there have also been some absolutely lovely people in our village who have volunteered and helped out others in need during this time. So yes, some absolute selfish idiots, but I'm trying to focus on the positives instead. 

Shazzdan -- Interesting breakdown. While people losing jobs sucks in the short term, I cannot help but think it's probably not a bad thing that the auto and oil industry take a hit. It's about time, is all I can say! ;p

ETA: Something that has become clear to me during all of this, is that there are some people [in so-called 'developed' countries, at least] who seem to value having a certain 'lifestyle' far higher than they actually value life. This is the sort of thing I hope very much hope people have had or will have a shift in consciousness towards....

DarthJ

There won't be less cars on the road however : travelling by public transport is made very unpleasant at the moment (reduced seating, masks mandatory, ...) and actually discouraged.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
DarthJ wrote:There won't be less cars on the road however : travelling by public transport is made very unpleasant at the moment (reduced seating, masks mandatory, ...) and actually discouraged.

That's definitely an unfortunate side effect of all of this... especially for those who depend upon it. :/

shazzdan

shazzdan
DarthJ wrote:There won't be less cars on the road
50-60% of all automobile traffic on the road is work commuters. If 90% of those people work from home then automobile traffic will be reduced by 45-54%.

Americans spend an average of 19 full work days every year stuck in traffic. If those people work from home then they can work 19 days less every year. Alternatively, the boss can make his staff work the same number of days and sack 7% of his workforce.

DarthJ

90 % ? That will never happen. Maybe 20 %. Despite those working from home still doing so traffic here is getting back to "normal" with dense traffic and traffic jams at the usual places. At the moment traffic density is at "school holidays" level.

shazzdan

shazzdan
DarthJ wrote:90 % ? That will never happen. Maybe 20 %
So if 20% of those people work from home then auto traffic will be reduced by 10-12%. Even if only one auto commuter works from home, there are still less cars on the road.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
DarthJ wrote:Quote : I live in Canada, but my whole ancestry is Belgian. Whereabouts are you?  Just curious.

Vicinity of Brussels.

Not so far from this castle.

OFF TOPIC: How are you holding up during these troubling times? - Page 3 Beerse10

And not so far from this church.

OFF TOPIC: How are you holding up during these troubling times? - Page 3 Bruege10

Ah! My father was born in Brussels; Sint-Jans Molenbeek to be precise and lived in Jette, and my mother was born in Leuven but lived in Veltem-Beisem and Brussels, all depending on the year. They came to Canada in 1956 right after they were married.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
shazzdan wrote:
DarthJ wrote:90 % ? That will never happen. Maybe 20 %
So if 20% of those people work from home then auto traffic will be reduced by 10-12%. Even if only one auto commuter works from home, there are still less cars on the road.

You forget to factor in that some people who own cars still prefer to take public transit in to work to avoid traffic, gasoline costs, parking problems etc but that many of these people are now driving in to work as it's safer than public transportation. The Montreal, Canada (where I live) is slowly reopening for business as of May 11, but so far, I don't see any more people in the subways.

I think it will take a while before we realize the full extent of the changes to how we do things, and also, new businesses are bound to emerge to take advantage of the particular conditions imposed by these changes in our lives.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
When the shutdowns first happened, and I was still on the road working, the number of vehicles on the road didn’t diminish all that much from what I could see. Sure there wasn’t as big a delay during peak driving hours, but it wasn’t that significant as I had to drive thru the Minnesota Twin Cities. Even after being furloughed, there was still significant traffic — somewhat akin to a government shutdown.

While many people may choose, if their companies allow it, to work from home, there will still be millions of commercial vehicles on the roads to deliver goods.

As far as humanity in general goes — people are people, and during any tragic event, and for a brief period of time afterward, kindness and generosity bloom. But once things are forgotten, people have a tendency to go back to their routine of “every man for himself”. It’s human nature, and has been throughout our history — nothing can change that.

And as far as injustices go — many so-called “injustices” are self-inflicted. If your circumstance suck, and you have the will and fortitude, change them. I was born into a moderately poor family, was homeless by 17 (due to my own crap behavior and bad decisions). No one lifted a finger to help me, and I spent 6 months (that felt like a lifetime) on the streets dumpster-diving for something to eat. I didn’t become a thief, or a drug dealer, or do anything else that could possibly lead me down a further path of self-destruction. I decided to consciously make the effort to stop feeling sorry for myself, blaming others (specifically my parents) for the circumstance I was born into, and the decisions I made, that put me on the streets, and got off my @$$ and made changes that ultimately changed my life. Most people who are in a “rough” situation have the ability to change those circumstances for themselves, instead, they’ve been brain-washed to think it’s someone else’s fault and responsibility to change it for them. I say BS — get off your @$$ and change your situation. It’s not going to be easy, or fair — but that’s life. Life is not fair, nor is it meant to be — Nature is, and always will be, “survival of the fittest.”

As far as what happens next with this virus — more people will die. Plain and simple. We can’t expect the entire world to stay shut down because more people will de. People die every day from cancer, the flu, other ailments, accidents, murder, war, etc.. are we supposed to destroy the word’s economy, and everyone’s livelihood every time someone dies? Im one of those people who has at high risk of getting this Kung Flu (thanks China), but it’s MY responsibility to do what I can to keep from getting it — not my neighbors, not my employer, and certainly not the governments — ME, and ME alone. If I get the Kung Flu and die... oh well; that’s life. People need to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions. If one doesn’t want to get sick and die from this pandemic — then stay home (don’t go to those group gatherings, or to a restaurant) — that’s your choice. People are losing their businesses, their jobs, their ability to provide for their families — yet we’ve already lost more people to the flu in this country than to this pandemic. We’ve had a massive increase in drug and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, suicide, and even scumbags taking advantage of having to wear masks to commit more home invasions and other crimes. There are even people on the brink of revolution here in the states. They need to reopen the world, bring manufacturing back from China, and get on with our lives. We roll the dice and take our chances every time we walk out the door, this time is no different than any other virus (from the Spanish Flu, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, AIDS, etc.), other than it spreads faster. They’re not even recording the death rates accurately — padding the numbers to scare the crap out of people.

I don’t know. I’m so pissed off right now, it’s not funny. I’m not trying to offend anyone, just my opinion and view on this whole thing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum