OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Repainting eyes?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 am

skywalkersaga

Thom Cruz wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Speaking of the eye decals....does anyone have an example of a figure on which these kind of decals were used? Just curious...

I don't yet, but I'll post pics once I do. I would've had pics already... But it turns out the decals I got are semi-transparent, so putting them on top of the existing dark brown irises wouldn't work. I'll just need to pick up some white paint to cover the irises, then I'll be good to go.

EDIT: I just noticed ukshaun's post above, and he has some good pics already. I still might post mine here too, though. Smile

Oh, oops, I had misread ukshaun's post and thought it was a 1/4 scale statue, hence my question. But I would still like to see your pics eventually, too. I can't quite make out the decals on the pics of of the Harley Quinn statue, as it's from a bit of a distance. I was thinking more of a slightly more close-up view.

27Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:54 pm

FreakinLobster

I liked this thread, because I'll have to do this in a future project. I'm already taking notes here.

Looking at these decals on E-bay, I stumbled upon this seller (link below), that has a lot of interesting decals for eyes and tattoos. The thing is: do these decals stick to the silicone body with no problem? Will they come out easily if you touch it while handling the figure? And if you put them in the shoulder, a part that deforms on movement, will it ruin the decal?

https://www.ebay.com/str/badmothercustoms

28Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I’ve bought from them. Here’s the thing about those decals on the silicone bodies: 1. They will stick, if the area they are applied on is smooth, and is in a spot that doesn’t need the silicone to flex; 2. they are really, really shiny — making them not that great for real tattoos; 3. They will crack and eventually peel off if you try to put them on an area where the silicone needs to stretch; 4. Attempting to put them on uneven surfaces — like a muscular bicep/shoulder area — will not work well.

They work best on the hard plastic bodies.

29Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:03 am

Valiarde

This thread also got me thinking on getting some eye decals to try for custom heads/unpainted heads. Interesting

30Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:49 am

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
Stryker2011 wrote:I’ve bought from them. Here’s the thing about those decals on the silicone bodies: 1. They will stick, if the area they are applied on is smooth, and is in a spot that doesn’t need the silicone to flex; 2. they are really, really shiny — making them not that great for real tattoos; 3. They will crack and eventually peel off if you try to put them on an area where the silicone needs to stretch; 4. Attempting to put them on uneven surfaces — like a muscular bicep/shoulder area — will not work well.

Thanks for the answer.

So it's exactly what I thought it would happen. Still I asked it here because the seller has a photo of one of the tattoo decals on a silicone body (if not mistaken, the tattoo from the Rock), and I was kinda surprised, thinking those decals could be made from a different material that could stick to the silicone body.

31Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
FreakinLobster wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:I’ve bought from them. Here’s the thing about those decals on the silicone bodies: 1. They will stick, if the area they are applied on is smooth, and is in a spot that doesn’t need the silicone to flex; 2. they are really, really shiny — making them not that great for real tattoos; 3. They will crack and eventually peel off if you try to put them on an area where the silicone needs to stretch; 4. Attempting to put them on uneven surfaces — like a muscular bicep/shoulder area — will not work well.

Thanks for the answer.

So it's exactly what I thought it would happen. Still I asked it here because the seller has a photo of one of the tattoo decals on a silicone body (if not mistaken, the tattoo from the Rock), and I was kinda surprised, thinking those decals could be made from a different material that could stick to the silicone body.

Oh, they’ll stick. Just don’t expect to change the pose EVER. And, like I said, it doesn’t work all that well over uneven surfaces. I’m sure there’s a trick to it, I just don’t know what it is.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Repainting eyes? - Page 2 C8485110

32Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Recommended varnish and gloss? Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:34 pm

koloth

koloth
Hi
I decided not to use decals but to repaint brown eyes to blue ones. As far as I understand it would be recommended to use varnish over the existing iris to facilitate the application of the new color. What varnish would it be (European market, please)?
And what would you recommend for eye gloss (again European market please)? Thank you.

33Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:36 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
koloth wrote:Hi
I decided not to use decals but to repaint brown eyes to blue ones. As far as I understand it would be recommended to use varnish over the existing iris to facilitate the application of the new color. What varnish would it be (European market, please)?
And what would you recommend for eye gloss (again European market please)? Thank you.
I assume you can get Vallejo acrylics there (they're from Spain, I think). In both cases, you can use Vallejo gloss varnish. Try to not get it outside the actual eye surface, or it might end up looking like the eye is tearing up or crying.

34Repainting eyes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Repainting eyes? Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:17 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:
koloth wrote:Hi
I assume you can get Vallejo acrylics there (they're from Spain, I think). In both cases, you can use Vallejo gloss varnish. Try to not get it outside the actual eye surface, or it might end up looking like the eye is tearing up or crying.

yes, excellent paints indeed, I also use paints from the games workshop citadel range. They are fantastic to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum