OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP !

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Chip

Hi All ,
I am working on a bash of " T.H.E Rock " from the movie Full Metal Jacket . I have become stuck on the graffiti on his helmet . I can see the obvious Words " I`m Hard " , but there is more on the left and right of his Helmet . I have looked at as many images as I can , and used freeze frame on my DVD , but nothing to my eye shows clearly enough that other graffiti . If your up for a challenge , and it certainly is a challenge , maybe you can unleash what he has scribed .

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Aw man that's a tough one...

I wonder if you could try to reach out to Sal Lopez somehow and see if he may remember what was on the helmet?

Ovy

Ovy
PickleMunkey wrote:Aw man that's a tough one...

I wonder if you could try to reach out to Sal Lopez somehow and see if he may remember what was on the helmet?

Oh, my only suggestion would habe been "ask PickleMunkey or Stanley Kubrick". Although asking the actor might work too, haha.

Never watched any bonus material or making of, that would be my only other suggestion.
But the 'Surfin Bird" filmcrew must have gotten a good close up of his helmet on film. They never released 'Vietnam, the Movie" though.

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Man, it was tough enough getting all of Bubba's helmet graffiti and he was a main character in Forrest gump, haha.

I think as long as you cover the basics (Yoyo, bug repellent, gum stick) you should be okay.

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! FMJ-M79-2
On the right side it looks like a word starting with 'v' on top, maybe a heart in the middle, and a word starting with 'n', 'm' or 'w' on the bottom. Maybe something about Mama or Mamasan.

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! FMJ_81

The left side looks to have a word ending in 'io', in a Radio Flyer looking font.

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! FMJ-M79-3

It's interesting that in the book, T.H.E. Rock doesn't survive but they change it for the film.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I can't make out more than you suggested, PM, but those are some great shots. Maybe if you sift through enough behind the scenes or deleted scenes footage (if any), including set photographs. Something like this, but clearer and with the right helmet:
Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! Full-Metal-Jacket-2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370&dpr=1

Chip

PickleMunkey wrote:Man, it was tough enough getting all of Bubba's helmet graffiti and he was a main character in Forrest gump, haha.

I think as long as you cover the basics (Yoyo, bug repellent, gum stick) you should be okay.

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! FMJ-M79-2
On the right side it looks like a word starting with 'v' on top, maybe a heart in the middle, and a word starting with 'n', 'm' or 'w' on the bottom. Maybe something about Mama or Mamasan.

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! FMJ_81

The left side looks to have a word ending in 'io', in a Radio Flyer looking font.

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! FMJ-M79-3

It's interesting that in the book, T.H.E. Rock doesn't survive but they change it for the film.

Lots of changes from the book to the movie . Along with Rafter also being bumped off ....

Not really what I want to do regarding the helmet , am a bit of a perfectionist you might say , I got all the above covered the yoyo and gum wrapper ect , I might just end up blagging the rest . But will look for suggested out takes and non used footage . Surprising how grainy some of that film appears to be .

Thanks for the suggestions .

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Maybe someday they’ll release a 4K Blu-Ray, and then you’ll have better picture quality to examine... Bummer, though.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! C8485110

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Stryker2011 wrote:Maybe someday they’ll release a 4K Blu-Ray, and then you’ll have better picture quality to examine... Bummer, though.

They have!
https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Jacket-Ultra-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B084WKXP77/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=39BWAHXNQWYQ4&dchild=1&keywords=full+metal+jacket+4k&qid=1600741504&sprefix=full+metal+ja,aps,175&sr=8-3&linkCode=sl1&tag=thekentuckyde-20&linkId=022a15b5546d4709f4b17ab78be322f6&language=en_US

Ovy

Ovy
Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! Screenshot-20201215-021506

A shot like this in 4k might work, but who knows

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Ovy wrote:Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! Screenshot-20201215-021506

A shot like this in 4k might work, but who knows

oO that could be a useful spot.

I've been checking the 4k promos and trailers I can find, there are some spots where things are almost workable, but I don't have a very good monitor here at work, so trying to clean them up in Photoshop hasn't proved to be very successful yet.

Chip

Thanks for further suggestions , I don`t have anything that plays 4K I don`t think , but it`s great that such a relatively old Movie is being kept up to date with modern tech . If you manage to squeeze something out P.M , I will be most grateful Very Happy .

blackpool

blackpool
I will rewatch it this weekend and try as well, I'm always complaining over that new tv my girlfriend wanted, the UHD Oled 4K thingy is killing all the old classic movies to my eyes, it makes them look like cheap sitcoms (recently rewatched the Goodfellas, that was super painful I felt like watching an episode of FRIENDS)

Anyway if that might help you in your hunt so I'll give it a try tonight or tomorrow!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
blackpool wrote:I will rewatch it this weekend and try as well, I'm always complaining over that new tv my girlfriend wanted, the UHD Oled 4K thingy is killing all the old classic movies to my eyes, it makes them look like cheap sitcoms (recently rewatched the Goodfellas, that was super painful I felt like watching an episode of FRIENDS)

Anyway if that might help you in your hunt so I'll give it a try tonight or tomorrow!

I’ve actually turned the 4K feature off and use Movie Mode as it still has the better picture quality, but without the ridiculously insane stark lights and darks — plus you don’t have to see all the acne on the actors. I know it defeats the purpose of having a 4K TV, but I don’t care. Plus, the way 4K TVs play movies IS NOT how they were presented in the theatres.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! C8485110

GregT

PickleMunkey wrote:On the right side it looks like a word starting with 'v' on top, maybe a heart in the middle...

looking for helmet graffiti, I came across these in 1/6
Full Metal Jacket , " T.H.E Rock " HELP ! Helmets
lower left has the v near the heart motif
(I have a vague memory who made these)

Chip

blackpool wrote:I will rewatch it this weekend and try as well, I'm always complaining over that new tv my girlfriend wanted, the UHD Oled 4K thingy is killing all the old classic movies to my eyes, it makes them look like cheap sitcoms (recently rewatched the Goodfellas, that was super painful I felt like watching an episode of FRIENDS)

That`s very kind of you and much appreciated , thank you . Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum