OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 27]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Nice haul, MarkEl. The cart and wheelbarrow do look so nice, it's a shame you'll be returning them. But I get the point about scale.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Moonbase Alpha Male

GubernatorFan wrote:Nice haul, MarkEl. The cart and wheelbarrow do look so nice, it's a shame you'll be returning them. But I get the point about scale.

There was a conversation once upon a time in the old place about the scale of that shopping cart. I assume it's the same one, I got mine from an Asian source. It's too small to be a run of the mill everyday shopping cart, but there are places where you might see something that size -- for example at the Airport in the Duty-Free Shop or other boutiques where space is limited. Or I used mine in a Toy Shop diorama where it looked like it was meant for kids to use. Also I think it would look OK if there was any credible way to put bigger wheels on it. I maintain that for "close but a bit underscale" objects like Barbie stuff, the height dimension is more important than overall mass. A lot of underscale-ish furniture looks fine just with longer legs.

Similarly there would a limited 1/6 use for that wheelbarrow. It's way too small to be on a jobsite but the real world does have awkward mini wheelbarrows like that, mostly for personal gardening.

The lamp on the other hand is really good. In the US Dollar Tree has one like it (Red, Blue and Black as I recall), and in Canada Dollarama used to have one but not lately. One of them had the white inner cone, which makes a big difference, and it looks like the Menkind UK one has that.

shazzdan

Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:The lamp on the other hand is really good.  In the US Dollar Tree has one like it (Red, Blue and Black as I recall), and in Canada Dollarama used to have one but not lately.  One of them had the white inner cone, which makes a big difference, and it looks like the Menkind UK one has that.

There are plenty of sellers on ebay. I've been paying around a dollar each for them including shipping. The downside is that the colour they send is randomly selected. Any I get that aren't black or white get spray-painted silver or grey.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Just came back from a quick trip to my local Meijer. I had purchased some slate coasters to use as sixth-scale pre-modern flooring, and I didn't remember seeing more when I bought them. So when I finally got around to opening them, I liked them so much, I had to run out and see if perchance I could get more. Indeed, they had one more pack left. So while there, I took a look at other possible 1/6-usable items, and came back with this haul:

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Meijer10

This includes:
Slate coasters by Thirstystone 4"x4" (4 per pack)
-- as indicated above, I intend to use them as flooring
Metal ("iron"), wood, and stone candle dishes ("pillar holders") by HG Global
-- I thought these could make some large period dishes/platters
Spring Lavender in Pot
-- Seems to me there are larger versions of this in real life, so this could do as a potted plant in a 1/6 diorama
Fern with Burlap in Birdcage by Allstate
-- I intend to take these apart for wooded scenes; who knows, the birdcage might come in useful too?
"Accent" corked clear glass bottles by Cousin
-- These came from Walmart, not Meijer; we've been discussing such items in this thread before, mostly from Hobby Lobby

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
shazzdan wrote:
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:The lamp on the other hand is really good.  In the US Dollar Tree has one like it (Red, Blue and Black as I recall), and in Canada Dollarama used to have one but not lately.  One of them had the white inner cone, which makes a big difference, and it looks like the Menkind UK one has that.

There are plenty of sellers on ebay. I've been paying around a dollar each for them including shipping. The downside is that the colour they send is randomly selected. Any I get that aren't black or white get spray-painted silver or grey.

Painting one a nice gloss white, you can make an actual 1/6 character: Luxo the animated lamp from Lassiter's first short film, that has actually become the Logo for Pixar. Smile

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:Second up, the fake tree stump. Well, it works. It is made of some sort of hollow plastic or polyresin, and I later noticed a little hole near the bottom on one side. Now if only I had a sixth-scale squirrel or woodchuck...

Somebody call for a squirrel?   Laughing

I'd say the squirrel is roughly within scale, though at the upper end -- a big, fat squirrel for sure.  A chance to mention the various toy animals that you can get.  They're made regardless of scale so some will be 1/6 and other animals won't.  The squirrel (and raccoon) are Safari Ltd. sold at Michaels, $2.49 after a 50% off coupon.  The Bunny is from Target at about the same base price.  Various other animals are available -- I had a 1/6 Wolverine (animal) meet a 1/6 Wolverine (SuperHero) in my "Canada's 150th" post last year.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 41772879042_0b1821c45b_b

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice ones, Moonbase Alpha Male. I was actually looking for goats today... found a couple on eBay that I think would work.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Target carries little animals? Are these in the toy aisles? I need a bunny.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 C8485110

MarkEl

This animals are within scale range especially the rabbit. Good finds. I need to find a large Scheich animal model display at a toy or collectible store and see what’s close. They are of wildly varying scales. I know the whales won’t work!

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Stryker2011 wrote:Target carries little animals? Are these in the toy aisles? I need a bunny.

Target carries small animals in the toy department, typically on an end aisle display. I believe they are generally from the "Schleich" line though I see this bunny is from a Canadian manufacturer, Maison Joseph Babbat. It was carded as a set of 2 and came from a Buffalo Target earlier this year. It's a good pose to fit inside a top hat, like the rabbit that came with DC 13" Zatanna. Michaels (the hobby store) probably has a better selection of these small animals (and cheaper since there's always an online 40-50% off coupon).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the info, MBAM. I’ll check into it. Alice needs here bunny.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
Want a cheap pegboard?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-One-Side-5-x-7-CM-PCB-Strip-board-Printed-Circuit-Prototype-Track-LW-Test/263618027941

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 S-l1600

The boards are PCB and etched with copper so I wasn't sure what kind of paint to use. I tried metal primer and it seems to stick ok. I then joined four together with popsicle sticks and applied a second coat of paint.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 4nfO2Sk

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 CDMwPqS

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 XSJq44y

MarkEl

@shazzdan, Really great idea and results on the pegboard.  How are the tools mounted on the board.  Brads or finishing nails?

shazzdan

shazzdan
MarkEl wrote:@shazzdan, Really great idea and esults on the pegboard.  How are the tools are mounted on the board.  Brads or finishing nails?  

Nah, they cost money. I cut up a piece of scrap wire into short lengths.The diameter is exactly the right size so I can jam them into the holes and they don't fall out.

dadrab

dadrab
Damn fine idea that looks very convincing.

Nice one.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Stopped at Michael's on the way home from the doctor. Found these little charms in the jewelry making section:

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Img_6811
Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Img_6810

And in context:

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Img_6812

dadrab

dadrab
Excellent find.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Man, this thread gets me in trouble. I spent way too much at Hobby Lobby this weekend on stuff I saw here. I grabbed 2 of those lifeguard chairs, 2 of the smaller ones GubernatorFan posted the link to, and some sort of other little outdoor bin I need to get a photo of. Going to need to order a pile of those switches and buttons Shazzdan and Pontician posted, and the idea of using the ends of wire nuts for nobs is freakin brilliant. I ordered a whole pile of those circuit boards for peg boards after Pontician showed them in his base build, and have already started using them for my current project. Stryker, I keep eyeing those spyglasses at Micheals, and they look perfect in scale in your pirate set up. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how adorable your pirate girl is there. And Moonbase Alpha Male, that squirrel is the business. Damn, I do love this thread.

shazzdan

shazzdan
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Steampunk-2-Layers-3-Layers-Chic-Telescope-Shaped-Pendant-Novelty-Design-Copper-Necklace-60cm-for-Women/32841869254.html

It is 8 cm long so should be about right for 1:6.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 HTB16IhDfsLJ8KJjy0Fnq6AFDpXa9

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s nice, Shazzdan. Very cool.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Great telescopes, Stryker and shazzdan! While I was in Michael's recently, I either didn't notice them or failed to grasp their potential.

I did go into several stores sixth-scale hunting yesterday. First up, Hobby Lobby, with following result:

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Hl4-0110

Then there was Target (since some of you were talking about their toy animals) :

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Hl4-0210

And then there was Pier 1 (which happened to be located between the other two) :

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Hl4-0310

So I picked up the "other" vintage gas pump from Hobby Lobby, as well as the weathered wooden beach chair matching last week's lifeguard chair; a set of charms from Vintaj featuring an appropriately scaled simple modern key; a couple of packages of those corked glass bottles from Blank Slate; a little wooden treasure chest (there were also bigger and smaller sizes); two rabbits and a puppy, all by Mojo; and some moss and a fake plant for a planned diorama. At Target I got a couple of slightly larger rabbits by Terra, an Ocean Breeze candle for its metal bucket container (a tad on the large side, but I'm sure somewhere there are buckets that this matches), and a couple of other little plants (real, fake, not sure) from Live Trends. The Pier 1 visit yielded just more plants -- moss, fake rubbery conifers, and a plastic plant that came attached to a napkin ring.

Here are a couple of scenes I cobbled together with some of the new acquisitions.

Gas pump, keys, and plants:
Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Hl4-0410

Beach chair (atop a "deck" that is a barn wood sign board from the hobby section at Meijer), rabbits, puppy, a blue glass bottle (behind her knee), bucket, and plants:
Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Hl4-0510

So, good haul?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is an excellent haul. ReverendSpooky has me all fired up to try my hand at a post-apocalyptic figure, and I really dig the gas pumps, but I’d hate to copy his stuff outright. He’s too good, and mine would just look like a sh$&y imitation.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker -- I don't see what one has to do with the other -- you can use them in some different way.

Fox915

Fox915
Pontiacivan and Shazzdan, those control knobs, electronic switches and pegboards were ingenious!

Wow! Stryker, your Pirate (queen?) looks amazing, not to mention her amazing booty... er I mean chest, treasure chest Shocked. I just noticed there was a monkey there on my second look (missed it when browsing on the phone).

GubernatorFan, that's an incredible haul. Those miniature animals look really realistic and cute at the same time, and I really love the moss mat and the potted plants.

This is my favorite shot right here. The background is just splendid, the props placed perfectly, and the couple seems so natural.

GubernatorFan wrote:Beach chair (atop a "deck" that is a barn wood sign board from the hobby section at Meijer), rabbits, puppy, a blue glass bottle (behind her knee), bucket, and plants:
Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 8 Hl4-0510

Man! This thread is amazing, it's like a treasure trove of cool new items and fresh ideas are to be discovered.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you very much, Fox, you are too kind. The rabbits do look realistic, but they cannot compete in cuteness with your bunny in a cup, which inspired them. Just to clarify, I haven't used the moss mat yet -- what you see in the photo is Ready Grass, which is intended for tinier landscape models -- the texture is far too short to be accurate for sixth scale. But it can do in a pinch if one doesn't look too closely.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:That is an excellent haul. ReverendSpooky has me all fired up to try my hand at a post-apocalyptic figure, and I really dig the gas pumps, but I’d hate to copy his stuff outright. He’s too good, and mine would just look like a sh$&y imitation.

Come and play, come and play!! Plenty of room in the wastelands for all! Post-apocalyptic is such a huge genre, and I am far from ground zero. Hell, I think my stuff is heavily influenced by all the stuff that's come before, although I do try to throw my own spin on it. And it's such a fun genre to play in. Personally, I'd love to see your 1/6 take on the the world after it all starts crumbling down.

http://reverendspooky.com

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
And GubernatorFan, that's an excellent craft store haul! Loving all the rabbits. That last scene has me wishing I was outside with a beer right now, now that we're finally seeing some decent weather.

And Shazzdan, I keep considering that extending spyglass as well. I feel like I've seen in craft stores, but keep thinking they look big. May just bite the bullet and grab one next time to see.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:And GubernatorFan, that's an excellent craft store haul!  Loving all the rabbits.  That last scene has me wishing I was outside with a beer right now, now that we're finally seeing some decent weather.

Thank you ReverendSooky. I didn't mean to get so many rabbits but... well, they're rabbits. Wink And maybe subconsciously I have been inspired by the most kickass "rabbit" of all (you know what I mean, if you've seen Infinity War). The good weather has been the inspiration for my increased store visits and picking up more and more of these items that can be used for sixth-scale scenes.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:And GubernatorFan, that's an excellent craft store haul!  Loving all the rabbits.  That last scene has me wishing I was outside with a beer right now, now that we're finally seeing some decent weather.

Thank you ReverendSooky. I didn't mean to get so many rabbits but... well, they're rabbits. Wink And maybe subconsciously I have been inspired by the most kickass "rabbit" of all (you know what I mean, if you've seen Infinity War). The good weather has been the inspiration for my increased store visits and picking up more and more of these items that can be used for sixth-scale scenes.

I still haven't! Waited too long to get tickets for opening weekend, and theaters are still pretty full whenever there's a showing that work with my schedule. Seriously, the anticipation's making me a little crazy. Hoping to make it happen early next week.

http://reverendspooky.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum