OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Ovy

Ovy
Hey there,
Recently I experimented making tons of Locs out of lamb hair for two characters. I used water and soap this time when forming them. Out of a cut hair strand I pick several pieces of hair, let's say 20 to 100, part them so they are not parallel anymore and roll them with soapy water between palms.
I actually already made one figure with locked hair last year (or early this year?) but without soap, also worked but with soapy water it is slighlty more stable. I think it works and there might be better techniques, let me know if you know any.

So here the first one with new soap hair.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_022923

I left one of the shaved sides free for more sexiness.

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_022148

Might change something about the sculted beard but not sure yet, blends in ok but could need an upgrade some day.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_022031

There are some styling options as most strands are only attached with their tips to the skin.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_022409

Especially the ones on the front in this bad photo allow multiple options.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_021235

Like more symmetric style
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20210514-020906

Covering the sidecut
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20210514-015806

Beads on some locks might be an idea for the future.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_021034

And back again.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20210513-201731

It helps hiding the gap between neck and head. The neck ist stuffed with cloth.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20210514-020634

Well no clothing yet. But instead of yellow I am thinking about orange cloth, copper/brass and brown leather with turqoiuse jewelry accents maybe.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_023125

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_022635

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20210513-202114

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210514_021613

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It looks very good to me. Not quite corn rolls (don't know if that was what you meant), but actually very effective for your character. Looking forward to seeing how he ends up. I think the beard is perfectly fine as is, unless of course you wanted more locks of hair hanging down from it.

BAMComix

BAMComix
He look amazing Ovy! great work on his hair!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is excellent. And I like the exposed shaved head section look best — super “sexy”, as you say, indeed. Really great job.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  C8485110

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
He looks great! The second photo almost looks real!

There used to be a great tutorial by a doll collecting friend of mine on how to make locs with wool roving but unfortunately the page has been down for a while.

Edit: the Wayback Machine ftw!

https://web.archive.org/web/20200109032614/http://corsetkitten.com/blog/archives/4505

You basically soak it in hot soapy water and then roll/rub each section between your hands until the heat and friction causes it to felt. I’m assuming that’s the same technique you used?

That’s what I did with Josh’s hair here - it takes ages but it’s the kind of thing you can do whilst bingeing a tv series or something! XD

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  51092903650_d77c506af3_zJosh by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That looks so freaking good, Ovy!!! I love it! [3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  1f60d

And your Josh figure is adorable, Lynkhart! :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice work on your Josh, Christine. And thanks for the tutorial link. I guess great minds (like you and Ovy) think alike. Smile

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's some good work on the locs both Ovy and Lynkhart, I know them as dreds or dreads they where a thing some years ago with just about everyone having either their entire hair in them or a single dread for some reason, was never my thing bu that is not surprising, I'm not exactly a fashionable person lol.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  1f60e

ministryofwrath

ministryofwrath
I've been dying to make dreadlocks for my custom, but the issue is nothing really came close, this looks pretty excellent, I might need to try my hand at this soon

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thank You very much Ovy and Christine for that inspiration. I was very lazy with the Hair styyle of my Rasta Man. I use just black wool. Laughing Yours looks like much better.

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  20190411

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ah, the impromptu bunker party. I remember that. Smile

Diana

Diana
That looks fantastic! Love the side cut, too. Well done!!!
I am looking forward to seeing the finished figure. Smile

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:It looks very good to me. Not quite corn rolls (don't know if that was what you meant), but actually very effective for your character. Looking forward to seeing how he ends up. I think the beard is perfectly fine as is, unless of course you wanted more locks of hair hanging down from it.
Thanks a lot! I guess you mean cornrows? No, that was not the look I was going for.  I don't know if I am ready to make little braids in 1/6 haha.
Will think about that beard!

BAMComix wrote:He look amazing Ovy! great work on his hair!
Thanks!

Stryker2011 wrote:That is excellent. And I like the exposed shaved head section look best — super “sexy”, as you say, indeed. Really great job.
Thanks a lot!

Lynkhart wrote:He looks great! The second photo almost looks real!

There used to be a great tutorial by a doll collecting friend of mine on how to make locs with wool roving but unfortunately the page has been down for a while.

Edit: the Wayback Machine ftw!

https://web.archive.org/web/20200109032614/http://corsetkitten.com/blog/archives/4505

You basically soak it in hot soapy water and then roll/rub each section between your hands until the heat and friction causes it to felt. I’m assuming that’s the same technique you used?

That’s what I did with Josh’s hair here - it takes ages but it’s the kind of thing you can do whilst bingeing a tv series or something! XD

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  51092903650_d77c506af3_zJosh by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr
Ahh thanks so much, I actually stumbled upon the pics on pinterest but the link didn't work! Yeah basically that is what I did, although I used another material. Nice Josh I love you

Oh and that's exactly what I did, binging or listening to something while keeping on rolling. Laughing

Very fun fact, the head customized by corsetkitten seemed familiar, now I remember that it appeared on a Rit Dye colored figure by Titan https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2628p45-dyeing-phicen-figures-with-rit-dye-nsfw#35888

skywalkersaga wrote:That looks so freaking good, Ovy!!! I love it!  [3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  1f60d

And your Josh figure is adorable, Lynkhart! :')
Thanks a lot!

GubernatorFan wrote:Nice work on your Josh, Christine. And thanks for the tutorial link. I guess great minds (like you and Ovy) think alike. Smile
Well we use teh logic of science! Well, sometimes.

Theboo-bomb wrote:That's some good work on the locs both Ovy and Lynkhart, I know them as dreds or dreads they where a thing some years ago with just about everyone having either their entire hair in them or a single dread for some reason, was never my thing bu that is not surprising, I'm not exactly a fashionable person lol.
Thanks boo!

ministryofwrath wrote:I've been dying to make dreadlocks for my custom, but the issue is nothing really came close, this looks pretty excellent, I might need to try my hand at this soon
Thanks a lot! And nice, what kind of figure do you want to make?

Ephiane wrote:Thank You very much Ovy and Christine for that inspiration. I was very lazy with the Hair styyle of my Rasta Man. I use just black wool. Laughing Yours looks like much better.

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  20190411

Thanks a lot, and yeah of course I remember that guy, I tried to find him with the tag "Save the Chubby unicorns" first. Razz

Diana wrote:That looks fantastic! Love the side cut, too. Well done!!!
I am looking forward to seeing the finished figure. Smile
Thanks a lot! Yes still a lot do do. And no updates yet, but I wanted to respond before it is another year passed haha.

A tutorial has been posted already and it really is not that complicated, but here a short documentary of the process anyway.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210507_133331

[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210507_125501

And a little the preview for another character in the works, but it will get an own thread one day.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX_20210520_012040

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ooohhhh! Exciting sneak peak, Ovy. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the in progress photos. Again, looking great, and so does your blond character too. I imagine these as marine people.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Ahh, Great ! Thanks, i thought You did it when the hair is already glued to the Head. That´s the better option. Can´t wait to see the blond one finished and thanks for the inspiration. We can search here in forum with tags ? Good to know Smile

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Ovy, is there anything you can't do?  Shocked  Not much to say that others haven't already said. Amazing!

Ovy

Ovy
Hello there again,

Nothing happened with him for a long time, but I started to build him some armor after I scrapped two tries. The cloth is all just placeholder, but probably blue/turquoise, bright yellow and sandy silk will be materials he uses.

Now I want to give him a heroic muscle curiass, here some references.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20211106-235230

One of the first ideas, but this one will probably rust and go to a zombie trooper.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20211106-233307

Some first experiments with old worbla breastplates I already made, reheated and formed directly on the m32.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20211106-235330

I modeled the breast plate with aluminum foil on the body and traced it on paper to make templates.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20211106-233220

I decided for a two part front plate. It's antique inspired but the tech level I go for is around 14th century, so I think it's not the heavy bronze thingies they had back then but a modernized version that offers more protection and comfort. I think the wobla picked up the muscles quite well, had to push it in there to get out more detail.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20211106-233107

Some placeholder pauldrons. Not sure how tonpaint the whole thing, gunmetal with copper details was one idea, or maybe a mithrilic white with copper elements. I think I might add add a little gemstone too and/or some pearls.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20211106-233506

I will also make a helmet that can go over the voluminous hair.
[3/5/2022] Southern warrior - Helmet experiments  PSX-20211106-233629

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, that is looking absolutely fantastic!!! Your skills with armour-forging are truly impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing it all fully painted, because your paint skills are also incredible. Very Happy

I have to admit, I am still too scared to try the worbla, even though I have a whole sheet of it waiting for me. Embarassed What do you use to cut it, an exacto knife?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for sharing. I, too, am always interested to learn more about worbla. Looks like you ended up with a number of very good options for the armor pieces, and I can't wait to see the ingenious and effective way in which you will put them together and paint them to look like metal.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Oooh this looks fantastic already! I really like the helmet design!

Diana

Diana
Oh wow! This looks great!! I really have to give worbla a try. (But I'm not even done with my kinesiology tape experiment so it'll have to wait...)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s brilliant. I’ve never worked with Worbla, but it seems to do a really nice job. Very cool stuff.

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

I read about Worbla before but have not tried it myself so far. What do you use to heat the material up? Hairdryer? From your pictures, I would gues that you might use a protective sheet of aluminium foil on the figure, when forming the Worbla? I would love to learn more on the use of Worbla.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Now this is some awesome source for techniques when it comes to armor building. Thanks for the work in progress photos. as soon as i'm back to 1/6 this will come in handy for sure.those armor pieces look great.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum