OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Mr. Toys: 1/6 scale Slave Planet Princess Head Sculpt & Outfit Set

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh my! That looks great!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, it looks like they did the same thing I did with the Endor Leia head sculpt (since technically, she didn't have those wisps of hair in front of her ears in this outfit) and no earrings -- just like mine. That's fine, though. And at least this gives a better representation of Carrie face-wise than the previous PopToys version. Only wish they'd tell us which body they are using for this outfit -- as once again, the bust is too big, and who knows how tall she is -- if it is on one of the smaller TBLeague bodies, then (despite the overly large boobs), this would be great. And I like that they are using cloth boots, since she was wearing suede ones in the film.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW PRODUCT: Mr. Toys: 1/6 scale Slave Planet Princess Head Sculpt & Outfit Set C8485110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Note:

I saw one of only two retailers listing this so far suggest the S12D -- so once again too tall for Carrie, and way too big of chest, but at least a TBLeague will look better than a Jiaou Doll (which most are also too tall and busty).

NEW PRODUCT: Mr. Toys: 1/6 scale Slave Planet Princess Head Sculpt & Outfit Set C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Totally agree with all you're saying. My guess is that it is an s12d, which is obviously way too tall. That said, it might be able to be swapped for a smaller body. It depends how easily modified the 'bikini' is. 

The main thing though that interests me here is the idea that the headsculpt should presumably match the tbleague skintone. Even if all I was able to use is the head from it, that would be better than nothing.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:The main thing though that interests me here is the idea that the headsculpt should presumably match the tbleague skintone. Even if all I was able to use is the head from it, that would be better than nothing.

Indeed. This is definitely a major plus -- especially since the TBLeague bodies look so much better than the Jiaou's -- not to mention the much better skin material and the better flexibility.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:The main thing though that interests me here is the idea that the headsculpt should presumably match the tbleague skintone. Even if all I was able to use is the head from it, that would be better than nothing.

Indeed. This is definitely a major plus -- especially since the TBLeague bodies look so much better than the Jiaou's -- not to mention the much better skin material and the better flexibility.

Yeah, exactly! 

And 'Slave Leia' isn't even something that was originally on my list of potential custom SW figures (I have a different RotJ kitbash in mind), but I feel like it's a rare chance to find a Leia headsculpt that actually matches a tbleague body, so I'd be sorely tempted by this. 

Just waiting to see if/when GianToy put it up for PO...

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
That is an amazing head sculpt. Wow. I’m sure a 1/6 Slave Leia of this quality has been a lifelong Holy Grail for a lot of collectors out there.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree with what has been said, and am happy to see such a nicely executed set giving us a beautiful and realistic likeness of Leia.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Great head! Smile Quiet a lot of good heads lately on figures.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
The headsculpt seems like more or less a copy of the HT Endor Leia (obviously modified to suit the Slave Leia style). I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
"Slave Planet Princess Leia" is probably the most justifiable unlicensed figure that there can possibly be -- because it's something that really ought to exist and must exist, and 1/6 SW collections are arguably incomplete without her, and the figure is certainly financially viable, but HT or Sideshow are unreasonably restrained not making her, probably by Disney and due to the relatively mild visual sexualization (which is purely visual, as otherwise she is a strong empowered female character).  So I am glad to see this.

Looks good to me though I wish the accoutrements could look more metal and less plastic (maybe they will in hand).  Very good headsculpt.  On the height issue she can't be outright tall, but IMHO she doesn't need to be anywhere as short as Carrie Fisher's actual 5'1" IRL -- because simply Leia isn't shot that way, and the overall screen impression is not so short.  I would say that Princess Leia is somewhat taller than Carrie Fisher, if you know what I mean...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Plastic can always be repainted to look more like metal, so I'm not too worried about that aspect. 

I get people's frustration at HT being unwilling to make this version, though at the same time, if they did, they'd certainly not use a seamless body like tbleague. At most they might construct a semi-seamless rubber coated body, but it would likely not hold up very well. (Even though I collect Hot Toys, I'm not the hugest fan of their bodies.) So, in some respects, for that reason alone it might be better to have a third party do it. 

And the height issue... lol, I like your description of Leia feeling taller than she is. Though with this set, since the body is not actually included, it would be easy enough to swap this to a smaller body.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think both of you (MBAM and Sky) make perfectly valid points, although beyond high heals or lifts, I'm not sure any company should aim at intentionally getting the height wrong. But I agree Leia did have a big stage presence. As for physical stature, I worked it out once, see here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3227-action-figure-height-updated-with-part-ii

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yeah, of course, I'd rather they  got the height 'right'. I have no idea why all these companies still use the s12d as the 'standard' body for EVERY single set. There are so many more tbleague bodies available nowadays, that it seems very limiting to keep making sets just for that one.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
skywalkersaga wrote:Yeah, of course, I'd rather people got the height 'right'. I have no idea why all these companies still use the s12d as the 'standard' body for EVERY single set. There are so many more tbleague bodies available nowadays, that it seems very limiting to keep making sets just for that one.

GubernatorFan wrote:I think both of you (MBAM and Sky) make perfectly valid points, although beyond high heals or lifts, I'm not sure any company should aim at intentionally getting the height wrong. But I agree Leia did have a big stage presence. As for physical stature, I worked it out once, see here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3227-action-figure-height-updated-with-part-ii

What does it mean to "get the height 'right' for Leia?"  At what point do you "aim at intentionally getting the height wrong"?  It's not just stage presence.  Carrie Fisher was standing on a box for all of her medium shots and close-ups in 3 movies, particularly where she had to approximate eye level with Harrison Ford.  "Standing on a box" is a level of technology that predates CGI.  So her IRL 5'1" isn't really relevant to anything except mostly group longshots.  So what do you do for 1/6 display, especially if it's her and Han?  If you're really brave, you give her a 10.15" body, and you put her on an actual 1/6 crate next to Han, because that's what the camera saw, but you're going to get a lot of questions.  If you want to memorialize some conversation we saw Leia having with Han, you're going to have to bite the bullet and pretend she's almost a foot taller, because that is what you saw on screen, even though it was achieved standing on a box.  The IRL alternative with Leia's eye level around Harrison's navel won't look right. So, compromise is inevitable.

GF, that was a great post with a great pic in it, well done.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
For me, I care about how the figures look together. I quite the height difference between Han and Leia, so prefer to see that captured in the figures, too. : )

csyeung

csyeung
This one looks very good compared to their previous version. I'm wonder what other bodies could be used? Would a 25 work. as others said the 12 D is probably too tall. I think I've seen kitbashes with some hot toys bodies as well, but forget which ones they used.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I imagine a smaller body would be somewhat tricky without modifications to not just the bra-cup size, but also the waist-band (not easy considering the plastic used to make the loin-cloth connectors). The easiest would probably be trimming the length of said skirting and rehemming (especially if there is a wire in the bottom), and the boots will come across as over-sized. All that is to say... eh, use the recommended body since she’s mostly sitting or reclining most of the time anyway in this outfit.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:What does it mean to "get the height 'right' for Leia?"  At what point do you "aim at intentionally getting the height wrong"?  It's not just stage presence.  Carrie Fisher was standing on a box for all of her medium shots and close-ups in 3 movies, particularly where she had to approximate eye level with Harrison Ford.  "Standing on a box" is a level of technology that predates CGI.  So her IRL 5'1" isn't really relevant to anything except mostly group longshots.  So what do you do for 1/6 display, especially if it's her and Han?  If you're really brave, you give her a 10.15" body, and you put her on an actual 1/6 crate next to Han, because that's what the camera saw, but you're going to get a lot of questions.  If you want to memorialize some conversation we saw Leia having with Han, you're going to have to bite the bullet and pretend she's almost a foot taller, because that is what you saw on screen, even though it was achieved standing on a box.  The IRL alternative with Leia's eye level around Harrison's navel won't look right.  So, compromise is inevitable. GF, that was a great post with a great pic in it, well done.

Thank you, glad you liked the thread -- there is actually a second pic (actually more than that) with more figures in later posts in the same thread. As for getting the height right, you bring up an issue of which I was not aware. I'm used to think of Leia as substantially shorter than Han, and certainly very much shorter than Vader and Chewbacca. But I had no idea she was standing on a crate (I assume in different shots than those). So you raise a valid conundrum. But, yes, I am pedant enough to put her on a body as close in height as her real height and then find out what the crate looked like and keep something like it ready for deployment. Wink Come to think of it, I may have resorted to a platform in a couple of my photo stories, but I can't remember when and where right off the top of my head. I don't think I did so in the most recent ones. And there was certainly no crate in shots where people were walking down a hallway, etc., and their entire figures were visible.

skywalkersaga wrote:For me, I care about how the figures look together. I quite the height difference between Han and Leia, so prefer to see that captured in the figures, too. : )

I agree with you there. Not only is it more realistic vis-a-vis the actors, but it also creates a sort of variety (that one might expect to be more realistic) across the range of action figures one might have standing around. On the other hand, I don't think what Very Cool did with Mad Max and Furiosa was right (making her unrealistically small and short, when she was almost the same size as him -- if I recall correctly). I should have included those two in the Action Figure Height thread, shouldn't I?

Stryker2011 wrote:I imagine a smaller body would be somewhat tricky without modifications to not just the bra-cup size, but also the waist-band (not easy considering the plastic used to make the loin-cloth connectors). The easiest would probably be trimming the length of said skirting and rehemming (especially if there is a wire in the bottom), and the boots will come across as over-sized. All that is to say... eh, use the recommended body since she’s mostly sitting or reclining most of the time anyway in this outfit.

In principle this is true, but I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference. The bra might fit well enough, and arguably better (here it looks like it barely fits on the bigger body), and I would hope the hips would be wide enough to work with waist-band. In truth, I think we would have to wait and see. I wonder about leaving the seamless body permanently in that reclining position, although I realize the nature of your diorama would invite exactly that.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:As for getting the height right, you bring up an issue of which I was not aware. I'm used to think of Leia as substantially shorter than Han, and certainly very much shorter than Vader and Chewbacca. But I had no idea she was standing on a crate (I assume in different shots than those). So you raise a valid conundrum. But, yes, I am pedant enough to put her on a body as close in height as her real height and then find out what the crate looked like and keep something like it ready for deployment. Wink Come to think of it, I may have resorted to a platform in a couple of my photo stories, but I can't remember when and where right off the top of my head. I don't think I did so in the most recent ones. And there was certainly no crate in shots where people were walking down a hallway, etc., and their entire figures were visible.

In the long shots where there was no actual crate, there were still significant efforts to fudge Carrie's height:   look eg at the forced visual slant of the Ewok bridge, or the weird angle of the Deathstar kiss to make the height difference inconspicuous.  This is why, "What is Leia's height?" is a legitimate question, and I don't think it's fair to answer it by checking imdb for the actress' IRL height -- any more than would be the case eg for LOTR Hobbits vs those actors' IRL height.  It requires the discipline of forgetting everything except for what we saw in frame on the actual screen.  For that matter a lot of the photos that are shown to address this question and to demonstrate the height differential, are actually production stills, so notwithstanding that Leia Han and Luke may be in costume, technically they are irrelevant.  Only what you actually see onscreen is relevant, and it is inconsistent.  Heck, going only by SW:ANH, it isn't even consistent how tall Darth Vader was supposed to be.  And also, if Leia herself was that short, wouldn't the line "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper" be a bit off?

The idea you're onto, of doing a 1/6 display that isn't actually "SW in world," but represents the SW film set instead, would be very cool -- maybe with micro machines as models etc.  HT did their bit if you remember, as in their early unlicensed days, they actually made a George Lucas, the Director figure.

NEW PRODUCT: Mr. Toys: 1/6 scale Slave Planet Princess Head Sculpt & Outfit Set Tumblr10NEW PRODUCT: Mr. Toys: 1/6 scale Slave Planet Princess Head Sculpt & Outfit Set Tumblr12

NEW PRODUCT: Mr. Toys: 1/6 scale Slave Planet Princess Head Sculpt & Outfit Set 68387d11

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Well, as Stryker said... it's probably not a huge deal to use the taller recommended body in this instance, since she's mostly either sitting/reclining, on her own on the skiff, or briefly swinging through the air with Luke. The only scene she's really standing next to Han while wearing the bikini is the deleted sandstorm scene, and of course she's covered with a cloak/poncho thingie. ;p 

I am mostly just thinking outloud, since I'm not even certain I'd use this entire set -- I'm considering potentially using this headsculpt for a totally different RotJ kitbash, presuming it was small enough to fit on the s25b I have in mind. 

And my own preference for highlighting (and even exaggerating) height differences between romantic couples is just my own...no one else needs to adhere to that. Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote: since I'm not even certain I'd use this entire set. Razz

WHAT?! No Slave Leia?! Blasphemy! Crying or Very sad

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote: since I'm not even certain I'd use this entire set. Razz

WHAT?! No Slave Leia?! Blasphemy!   Crying or Very sad

It depends on how much space I have, I suppose. I've been planning to do the Ewok village dress for a while now, and even had purchased a loose HT Endor Leia head to use for it, but it depends on whether I can find a body that matches it well enough. Otherwise I might be tempted to use this one, since it will presumably match a tbleague body. 

I also really want a Boushh Leia (probably my ultimate grail Leia, tbh). Though I guess I could do all three... Razz

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sky, you should definitely do all three. Wink Sideshow had a Boushh Leia but it is probably all long gone and astronomically expensive if you tried to get it -- or parted out pieces for a kitbash; the head would have benefited from updating to an HT one. I wanted to do that myself, but held back due to the cost.

MBAM, thanks for the additional details. I may know a bunch about Star Wars sets and uniforms from my efforts to recreate them in various scales, but I did not realize there was so much manipulation involved due to Leia's height. You are right, getting her height right is a quandry -- and not just whether one goes for the height of the suited-up actress or for that of the on-screen character, since the latter varies depending on what was possible or desired in a shot. I'm going with the actress, and if trying to recreate a specific shot I will try to pay attention and adjust accordingly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum