OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Delanie

Still creepy as heck, I dislike the egyptians even more than I dislike the romans. 

This maybe because consecutive history teachers at school used to rave about them. 

I certainly wont be touching this with a barge pole

I may have gone for the bird heads if i could strip all the headdress bits off them but nope clear pass here.

Moonbase Alpha Male

GubernatorFan wrote:
SnakeyJones wrote:The mystical forge figure looked like it had potential, I sort of wish I picked one up but their Anubis figure was bad enough to scare me off. Which is a shame, the phicen Anubis appears to be far better quality but I'm not fond of the sci fi touches.

I agree completely. TBLeague's "Egyptian" stuff is about as Egyptian as Hollywood films "based on" or better "inspired by" a true story are accurate to their source. It is really Egypt-esque on fantasy steroids. Which is not to say that most of it is not striking and cool. I do wish there was more accurate Egyptian stuff out there. I don't remember the Mystical Forge Anubis well, but their Ramesses II had a number of strengths, even if it was ultimately influenced a little by the Yul Brenner version and other reinterpretations. At the time, these figures seemed indecently expensive (less so by modern standards), so I only got some pieces from the Ramesses set.

I actually don't think this is entirely fair to the extent that a distinction should be drawn between TBLeague's Egyptian humans and their Egyptian Gods.  The latter are fully "on fantasy steroids," but they are Gods, what do you want? Gods are fantasy ab initio. If they are representing "actual source" gods (as opposed to TBL doing specific 3D versions of Egyptian drawings) then there is no historical reference point for them, apart from matching basic ID points of the myth.  The humans are a different story, but here I would argue TBL is not too far off from history actually.  Not museum accurate or anything, and certainly not specific to any precise time period etc, but I would not say Nefertiti, Cleopatra and especially Anck Su Namun are wildly off, nor on fantasy steroids.  Wouldn't you know it, in all three cases their garb and gear are fine and relatively credible except for the upper torso and whatever they have done in each case anachronistically to overemphasize the breasts.

Which brings us to my rant about the glaring lack of any male human figure in the TBL Egypt.  Be careful what you wish for... this Tutankhamun is a male figure I suppose, but otherwise totally useless in that regard.  Something GF like the Mystical Forge Rameses or your improved version of same  seems an absolute necessity for TBL to balance their Egypt -- we get this instead.  It doesn't actually fit thematically within either their "Egypt Gods world" above or their more realistic "world of the Egyptian Queens" below,  it's just a separate videogame supervillain.  At least I suppose, for those who do want to do something in that supervillain vein, he will be very happy with the upcoming, otherwise disappointing Coo Egyptian reanimated skeletons.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 Coo_sk10

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Trigger Warning: Anyone who needs to believe TBLeague's "Egyptian" figures bear any reasonable resemblance to historical and mythological persons may want to avoid this post. Proceed with caution.

Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:I actually don't think this is entirely fair to the extent that a distinction should be drawn between TBLeague's Egyptian humans and their Egyptian Gods.  The latter are fully "on fantasy steroids," but they are Gods, what do you want? Gods are fantasy ab initio. If they are representing "actual source" gods (as opposed to TBL doing specific 3D versions of Egyptian drawings) then there is no historical reference point for them, apart from matching basic ID points of the myth.  The humans are a different story, but here I would argue TBL is not too far off from history actually.  Not museum accurate or anything, and certainly not specific to any precise time period etc, but I would not say Nefertiti, Cleopatra and especially Anck Su Namun are wildly off, nor on fantasy steroids.  Wouldn't you know it, in all three cases their garb and gear are fine and relatively credible except for the upper torso and whatever they have done in each case anachronistically to overemphasize the breasts.

Which brings us to my rant about the glaring lack of any male human figure in the TBL Egypt.  Be careful what you wish for... this Tutankhamun is a male figure I suppose, but otherwise totally useless in that regard.  Something GF like the Mystical Forge Rameses or your improved version of same  seems an absolute necessity for TBL to balance their Egypt -- we get this instead.  It doesn't actually fit thematically within either their "Egypt Gods world" or their more realistic "world of the Egyptian Queens,"  it's just a separate videogame supervillain.  At least I suppose, for those who do want to do something in that supervillain vein, he will be very happy with the upcoming, otherwise disappointing Coo Egyptian reanimated skeletons.

I take your point in many particulars, but overall I have to disagree about two overarching issues: the liberties taken with the gods, and the supposed near accuracy of the humans. It seems to me that if you are going to promote a figure as representing a deity from any mythology, then the figure should convey the canonical appearance of said deity from that culture's artistic canon. And it is not about 3D, because there are plenty of 3D representation of Egyptian gods and goddesses. But why even discuss this, when TBLeague (and not just TBLeague) is incapable (actually not incapable, simply unwilling) to even get the sex of a particular deity right. Case in point Month (recte Montu), Hades, etc.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 DT553

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 SeNWeU4qGsEFil9KDYLh0sZsSFd2QzMnZu00gDtGA4T7VrJEZEygzZx9zQyi2YpN-JUj8ohJ163LOr_Wyz9Jy1eZ2N1z72dca25DM7N2gi4ZtFrS-6tunVFsNpdXyGv5HmMaG8B8Ku0y2uZJ

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 Main-image

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 64216a80e748cb4f4994bb8c2223a6e4

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 65bb25f4f04b2b8ffce854aa06f1b2cc

It is, of course, a matter of taste and of priorities whether one expects that something like this should look like its proper source. And the Ancient Egyptians were all about canon and conformity. So, for me, it fails. Perhaps I'm too closely attached to the source, and should not be annoyed at the liberties taken with it for entertainment and commercial purposes. Incidentally, it is entirely possible that many of these (I think it was confirmed for at least one of them, Anubis) are based on some modern fantasy artwork or computer game, etc. In which case, this would be totally fine, in reference to that source.

As for their humans, I do think they are pretty far off, very much influenced by fantasy, even if sans steroids in their case (perhaps because they have all been female, as you point out). Their first Cleopatra was inexplicably based on an obscure comic skit -- fine. Their second Cleopatra is essentially a caricature of what might be considered a pop culture stereotypical Egyptian-like pretty girl, and an under-dressed and over-sexualized one at that. There is no attempt to replicate either genuine Egyptian fashion (from any historical period), or the very un-Egyptian (Greek!) fashion the real Kleopatra VII would have worn. The usual culprit shows up on the promotional image: the ARH logo, which tells us that we are being treated to a colorful, striking fantasy.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 5_51632812-c113-4238-9bfd-32b427f4efaf_1024x1024

The same can be said for Anck Su Namun, who may be striking, but is about as authentic as the rendition of her name (in other words, not at all). I suppose that was pointing to other fantasy reinterpretations of Egyptian themes, as in The Mummy; the promotional photos do include the tell-tale ARH logo. The only thing she has in common with her historical "counterpart" is that she is female.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 King_and_queen

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 5__22759.1539239188

The very same could be said of Nefertiti. Even the shape of and detail on her very characteristic (and sadly non-detachable crown) is wrong.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 19286_0

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 PCL1568-3

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 Aec7e8b6f802c5acf51f3d368af69bd0

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 D95c2bbf3035c793b09d41f0752cda489a45a024

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 1d0da54e1cf906b98dec15067743f861

In my opinion that is quite far off. But it's alright from TBLeague's point of view, I suppose, because TBLeague's Nefertiti also sports that ARH logo, and that means that anything goes. Wink

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
While I realize that TBL’s Nefertiti is meant to be... well, Nefertiti... I’m almost tempted to pick it up to use as Isis. Though it would seem oddly out of place considering all the other “Gods” have been pitch black in color.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:While I realize that TBL’s Nefertiti is meant to be... well, Nefertiti... I’m almost tempted to pick it up to use as Isis. Though it would seem oddly out of place considering all the other “Gods” have been pitch black in color.

I've been tempted by Nefertiti every time I've seen her parted out. But every time I remember the crown is non-detachable and that they got the shape and detail wrong, I just can't make myself get her. More opportunity for someone else, I suppose. Smile

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
If nothing else, this thread is genuinely academically fascinating. Smile

OT: speaking of the Ray Harryhausen-style Coomodels skeleton series, I've been unable to resist their upcoming Grim Reaper.

Phicen clothes

Phicen clothes
The magnificent Pharaoh and Cleopatra!!!

https://www.instagram.com/phicen_exotic_clothes/

ahbake

Delanie wrote:Still creepy as heck, I dislike the egyptians even more than I dislike the romans. 

This maybe because consecutive history teachers at school used to rave about them. 

I certainly wont be touching this with a barge pole

I may have gone for the bird heads if i could strip all the headdress bits off them but nope clear pass here.

What on earth would make you dislike both Egyptians and Romans? Two of the greatest cultures/empires ever to exist (Rome being arguably the greatest)...

3Afr

3Afr
Like the previous ones, the figure was released barely 2 months after its announcement ... I just received the Black / Golden version. Here are some photos.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 23880011
NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 23940111
NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 23714411

3Afr

3Afr
the armchair is beautiful ... here is the back side, well decorated  Very Happy

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 23914611

Valiarde

Valiarde
Nice!! Thanks for the in hand pics, always great to see real pics instead of promo ones. Like it

Diana

Diana
NICE! I think I'd be happy. Smile
That chair looks great!

All of a sudden I'm thinking I need to collect some parts to create myself a Teal'c.

Indeed. That's what I'm thinking. Better not go down that road...  NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 1f648

3Afr

3Afr
Diana wrote:NICE! I think I'd be happy. Smile
That chair looks great!

All of a sudden I'm thinking I need to collect some parts to create myself a Teal'c.

Indeed. That's what I'm thinking. Better not go down that road...  NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 1f648

maybe some parts of this figure can help you for Teal'c Smile
NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 20282310

3Afr

3Afr
Gods Of Egypt (Golden Versions)

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague: 1/6 Egyptian Pharaoh-Tutankhamun Black Edition/White Edition (PL2021-178 A/B) - Page 2 20210810

Diana

Diana
3Afr wrote:
Diana wrote:NICE! I think I'd be happy. Smile
That chair looks great!

maybe some parts of this figure can help you for Teal'c Smile
Hah! Already spotted that one when wandering the halls of Ebay looking for prey... But thank you! Now you got me fired up even more! Laughing

3Afr wrote:Gods Of Egypt (Golden Versions)
They do look great together on display like that! Very nice! Congratulations. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the in-hand photos, 3Afr. And great to see your collection of this line coming together.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Seeing him together with the TBL Egyptian Gods looks discordant to my eyes, because I think he is a very different concept and style. We know the branding reason behind the scenes is that the TBL Gods are an original imaginative effort while Zombie Tutankhamun here is borrowed from a video game. I kind of resent him, the way GF and others resent the Gods figures, because it's just a figure taken from the laziest cliché of Egyptiana décor. The odd thing is that physically this is probably the most historically accurate one from TBL, except it's totally out of context as a walking around person rather than an embalmed decorated corpse. And how does he even see out of that mask if it's not a Death Mask?

TBL still gonna get my money though. But I will probably just use him as an unmoving corpse of Tutankhamun or some other unspecified Pharaoh, lying in state or something like that. Probably I'll just transfer the mask and gear to whatever cheap body I have lying around (since he is never going to move), and take out the TBL body and use it for something else.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MBAM -- he is not very accurate -- even if the death mask is pretty good, especially from the front, although the eyes need to be painted in and the black stripes and details need to become lapis lazuli. I ordered a parted out mask to repaint. The detail on the back of the mask (it has a ponytail of sorts) is not very accurate to the original piece, but oh well... I also notice the masked head, despite the headdress, looks too small on this body, but I hope it will look better on one of the smaller bodies.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thinking about ordering the tunic as it looks nice. The mask is also useful but a bit too much asking price for not having an immediate use right now. Maybe if I find the right project Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum