OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

D-Day Tribute

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1D-Day Tribute Empty D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:57 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Every June 6th I try and do a little something to commemorate the Normandy invasion. I wasn't able able to do as much as I would've liked this time, as I was stuck on Dad Duty with my little guy, but I still managed to dash out and take a couple quick shots.

D-Day Tribute 51232081875_9d427693fc_b

D-Day Tribute 51231017546_42a2a3c4c7_b

I had planned on having this paratrooper suspended from my clothesline with his chute deployed, held open with some thin wire or something, as if he was dropping down.

Maybe next year.

D-Day Tribute 51231785984_dee4ce8bc4_b

D-Day Tribute 51230309862_60871541c6_b

Instead I thought to show the harsh reality that, after so much training and preparation...some of those brave souls never even made it to French soil.

2D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:13 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice photos and cool looking figure. I really like that last shot.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

D-Day Tribute C8485110

3D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:33 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Thanks a lot Mark!

4D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done, as usual. Doesn't your little guy help out?

5D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:Very nicely done, as usual. Doesn't your little guy help out?

Thanks! Haha he does sometimes, when he feels like it...that was not one of those days, unfortunately.

6D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:38 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Well, you soldiered on. And triumphed. Smile

7D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:49 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great looking figure, and nice tribute.

8D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:54 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Thanks a lot folks!

9D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Great job, really like the detailed crispiness of the paratrooer pics, bringing out his detailedness.

10D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:59 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Thanks Ovy! I often forget what a process it can be to get these parachute rigs done up, so many straps and buckles! And that's before I found the leg bag!

11D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
For a moment I was wondering whether one could conceal a helium balloon in the parachute to depict the moment of landing, but I suppose unless there is a very happy coincidence of size and shape, it will be both impractical and visible.

12D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:00 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Hmm that does give me some food for thought...you can get clear balloons. It could be useful even just for keeping the form of the parachute open, with the knot poking through a hole at the top of the canopy, attached to a string, letting the figure dangle off it with gravity for the rest...

13D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:01 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PickleMunkey wrote:Hmm that does give me some food for thought...you can get clear balloons. It could be useful even just for keeping the form of the parachute open, with the knot poking through a hole at the top of the canopy, attached to a string, letting the figure dangle off it with gravity for the rest...

That's exactly what I meant. As long as too much doesn't show up at the bottom of the canopy. Maybe if there is the right size of "bagel"-shaped balloon?

14D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:06 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Son of a gun...there are! Donut balloons!
D-Day Tribute 51FnUVwOVTL._AC_SL1214_

I think even regular lightbulb or round ones could possibly work, too, if rigged up just right.

15D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:08 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL I almost wrote "doughnut-shaped" but figured it would be even harder to make them with the hole inside, so I went for "bagel"! Now let's hope they are a suitable size.

16D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:13 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Heck yeah, I'll have to do some research now.

17D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:21 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Love the D-Day tribute! Really like the fading on the unis and gear, particularly the paratrooper.

18D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:56 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Some good photos and great looking figures, D-Day should never be forgotten, nor should the reason why it all happened. I see you guys wondering about using balloons in order to keep the parachutes open and that reminded me of how our local toys R us had some paratroopers displayed up on the ceiling, their parachutes had clear acrylic domes on the inside, no idea on how they kept it from falling but the way it looked was fantastic, also no idea on where one could get a clear acrylic dome either, but I hope it's another idea.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! D-Day Tribute 1f60e

19D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:06 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Good idea about clear plastic domes, although in that case they would have to be suspended from something.

20D-Day Tribute Empty Re: D-Day Tribute Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:53 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Hmm...I do have access to clear acrylic. I could use a heat-gun to shape it into an arch and run some clear fishing line through it and the top of the canopy...

Also, thanks tankgirl! His uniform and gear got a good soak in some tea. It really helps tone stuff down and give a more worn really well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum