OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Qidi X-Maker 3D Printer Review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Qidi X-Maker 3D Printer Review Empty Qidi X-Maker 3D Printer Review Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Adeno

I just noticed there's a new "Other" section so I decided to share this here. It's my first 3D printer that I got a few weeks ago during one of Amazon's sales. There are different kinds of 3D printers usually sold in kits where you have to assemble it yourself or you can buy one that requires no assembly, as in it's plug and play like how you would buy a normal paper printer. This is the type of 3D printer that uses spools of plastic or PLA to make stuff, it's not the resin 3D printer kind. Although resin 3D printers create smoother objects since it uses light to solidify resin, they say the smell is extremely bad and you need a well ventilated area to use it. The clean-up process after every "print" with a 3D printer is extremely messy and costly as you'll need gloves to not get resin on your skin and you'll also need some other stuff to wash the created object. That's too much cost and effort for me who only has a tiny living space that's like a prison cell and the smell is definitely something I nor the other people I live with cannot handle. Since I'm new to this, I decided to go for the assembled one.

The Qidi X-Maker 3D printer is definitely plug and play! No real assembly required aside from having to remove styrofoam and putting the PLA spool into place. The hardest part of using this machine was removing all the styrofoam and cutting the super tight zipties. That's it! After that, you just turn the machine on and it's ready to be used right away. I decided to calibrate it a little bit, although not necessary, just to make sure that the nozzle where the melted plastic would come out is to my liking (not too close to the surface where it prints, not too high that it will drip all over).

The machine comes with a little USB drive that contains video instructions on how to use the machine and how to clean it. Definitely very informative and clear especially for beginners. Step by step, it shows you how to do your first 3D test print. All the steps are easy. After you've printed one, you'll be confident enough to do more prints on your own.

It also comes with its own "Slicer" program which transforms your created or downloaded 3D models into printable objects. This program needs to be studied because it's where you can change settings that may improve the machine's print quality depending on what kind of shapes are involved in the objects you're trying to create.

For size, you'll have no problem printing anything that's around 6 inches tall and wide. Definitely the perfect machine if you're trying to create parts for 1/12 or 1/6 scale toys. It's not for creating life sized cosplay accessories like helmets or gloves, you'll need a bigger 3D printer for that and those are usually on the more expensive side when buying them as unassembled kits and more if you buy the machine assembled.

For the price, I got it for a bargain deal of $300. It used to be around $1000 but I got it during the Amazon Day sale, plus there are newer models of this machine available. Still, it's one of the better pre-built machines available with tons of positive reviews on Amazon Very Happy

If you have no experience in 3D printing but you want to be able to print good quality stuff without having to assemble an entire machine by yourself, I highly recommend the Qidi X-Maker 3D printer! Very easy to use, very good quality prints Smile

2Qidi X-Maker 3D Printer Review Empty Re: Qidi X-Maker 3D Printer Review Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:55 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the review. 3D printing is beyond me, unless it is something I can order on Shapeways, but marvel at the things several of our members have done with it (like Ovy and Tjolnir, for example).

3Qidi X-Maker 3D Printer Review Empty Re: Qidi X-Maker 3D Printer Review Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 pm

Adeno

OH SHAPEWAYS! That's awesome! I remember a long time ago I tried putting up a shop there to sell little monsters I made, but since I didn't have a 3D printer, it was hard knowing how they'll turn up. I remember their main material was "sandstone" but they can also print using other materials. But wow, those things were expensive, I think they're $50 or $70 for a 6 inch model if I remember correctly, varies by density and material.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum