OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 28]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Hopefully got my 1/6 mojo back as I actually finished this build, took about a month and I'm looking forward to building Dori next. I'll show all the WIP as normal but like I said he's already finished as I didn't want to start another thread then burn out part way through like I was doing a few years ago before I realised I really needed a break.
This build is the Dwarf Oin, Gloin's brother and Gimli's uncle, he's the 'medic' of the group as far as I can tell (Tolkien didn't exactly give them in depth characters and backstories). Looks like he would be on a Council with Balin, Gloin, Dwalin and Thorin. He's a bit deaf and quite expressive (as I try to capture in some mods later, sorry in advance Peter!).
I started using the official Wetta statue as a reference for him since they created all the CGI and costumes for the films but later get a bit frustrated due to so many discrepancies between that and stills, art work, prop displays etc.. mostly just over colour of his coat. It starts out red then goes a darker shade closer to purple, I didn't choose the brown route as so many of the others are mostly brown, also a lot of them are red so I threw caution to the wind and went with my gut/preferences as I do later with the HS and hair...

INITIAL REFERENCE PICS:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 MLyyiei

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 YVvWLvK

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 1ldY9je

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UINRqpr

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 BgAkPky

USUAL START, CUSTOM BODY CLOTHES ETC..

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 DYG51rX

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 X4BA7gI

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 URwaY8x

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 NECbyvC

DRILLED TOO FAR SO HAD TO REPAIR THE JOINT USING SOME MODELLING SPRUE, SILLY MISTAKE:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 EC2ftEC

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 THLFLU3

IRONHOOF'S COUSIN, IRONNIPPLES!

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 QQeR4V5

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 BUSgfCm

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 VkDn7nh

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Nxov9pj

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Xhw4Jez

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 AVHMtJG

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 BgMsP7Z

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 3Lk5OS9

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 8wKqfRT

MAKING WOODEN TOGGLES OUT OF A SOUVLAKI STICK TO USE ON HIS COAT:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 DJlJMcc

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 PHd936b

I HAD TO GLUE, TWIRL THREADS TOGETHER TO GET THE RIGHT DIAMETER, THEN TIE A GAZILLION CAREFULLY SPACED KNOTS SO i COULD SAFELY CUT IT INTO MATCHING LENGTHS WITHOUT RISKING IT ALL COMING UNRAVELLED:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 ZiutxnY

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 ESqoTGY

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 5BB9nGH

LOTS OF SANDING AND FILING LATER:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 MRMfALA

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Dh62keU

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Ivwf9u8

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 YtdGnxM

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UqX7YyM

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 JdR7LYJ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 2WBb0UL

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 0MqbPFV

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 OosYMWA

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 A0zeXFL

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 CtNtBPj

THE BASIC BELT I MADE FROM FIVE SEPARATE PARTS BEFORE I EVEN STARTED TO MODIFY IT TO MAKE IT MORE SCREEN ACCURATE:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 YvdiGiD

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 VGb68Is

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 HHwzPas

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Mq9GTEx

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UD9cVar

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 1J6SWU9

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 D9vqUxx

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 SCKPEiV

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 M0YG1yT

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 HpLgIyu

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 4IMtCR5

MORE SOON FOLKS!  Very Happy

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Was planning on taking a nap but still awake so I'll add some more WIP pics ;-)

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 WiG4uW9

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 LObyIvk

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 QkHi30p

FIRST VERSION OF HIS KNIFE:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 MS5AePW

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 CQFUb7m

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 2D3dZkj

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 E0tSKSC

USING REAL LEATHER TO MAKE HIS MEDICINE BAG:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 7GP2eVI

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Xgmwawu

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 LNCL187

NEEDED SUPER GLUE AND A VICE TO GET THE LEATHER TO STAY IN THE SHAPE i WANTED:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Xq6vWiL

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 CQ2XkU7

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 W8rjVci

USED WOODEN CHOPSTICKS WITH A SPOKE PLANE/LATHE TO MAKE HIS LONG POLE WEAPON THAT NEEDED TO BE ANGULAR NOT ROUND BECAUSE...DWARVES..:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Itzoekq

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 NnGQwNs

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 1rDPVhD

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 WhJT7jy

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Hg9txYl

THEN WRAPPED IN FAUX LEATHER WITH BRASS AND ALUMINIUM PARTS ADDED:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 RkF2Sp5

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 IhyuPwg

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 4hx9lGQ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 XLO0YQv

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 SxjTcIi

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 PARORrM

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 2Z361Zi

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 IvFtga6

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 CmHQ2H6

GLOVES USING A WOVEN WOOL JUMPER TO ACCENT THEM:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 1oSGSMx

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 KK4KSxA

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 WHmniho

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 VUcJRL3

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 KQLa7CX

NOW THIS IS WHY I DECIDED TO CHANGE FROM THE RED TO THE DARK PURPLE:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 4ZmeTBI

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 O5mpY82

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UNMLAGE

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 RT2Iu0s

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 VAAokaW

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 5Df0FIy

YES I KNOW TECHNICALLY IT'S MORE BROWN BUT THAT'S A BIT BORING AND IT DOES HAVE A PURPLISH HUE TO IT, PERHAPS THE LIGHTING, I DON'T KNOW:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 F1Wmorq

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 WSruIXM

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 SA1p7qM

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Z3WHqDE

MORE 'CONTROVERSIAL' DECISIONS TO COME...KEYBOARD'S RUNNING OUT OF BATTERY....

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Oyo5UFQ

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Holy cow, this looks good! I'm very happy to see you returning to sixth-scale kitbashing and picking up the dwarves quest. Your dedication to reproducing the detail accurately is so impressive, and the results likewise. Like the weaved patterning on the gloves, the rectangular patter on the belt, the leather goods, the souvlaki sticks buttons, everything! And that Frankenstein-like but perfectly appropriate underlying body, so cool (ironnips made me laugh out loud). Did I see you using foam to fill up the gap in the stomach area while allowing for articulation? Nice. Thanks for sharing, hope we'll see plenty more with these characters and others.

Ovy

Ovy
Yay great to see you and the dwarves again! Creative projects really have that bad habit of draining our energy. Would have been easier if Tolkien just made the story about 7 dwarves, like all the other guys did.

Agree with teh Guv, great love for details like the souvlaki buttons and the belt. I also really like the wrapping on the boots. And of course I love that pole weapon. And great work by peter.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Awesome to see you back! Have missed you and your builds!! 

And those are some impressive solutions for both the body and outfit/accessories. Honoured you are sharing this with us! :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! What a come back, Alex. So glad to see you back and working on your Hobbits again. Beautiful work, and so many cool little details — you never fail to impress with all the little touches. Hopefully, though he’s retired from the game, Peter sees the final outcome of his sculpts and your stellar craftsmanship.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Wow, I remember seeing your works as a lurker in other boards, I was always amazed on how you seemingly magically turned a lot of different parts into fantastic customs that blew my mind. Fantastic work with so much lovely detail.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 1f60e

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Thank you all so much for such a warm welcome back! It really lifted my spirits to see all these wonderful and positive replies this morning! And that's saying something, 1) it's morning 2) I suffer from chronic depression so anything lifting my spirits has to be pretty damn meaningful! Laughing

GubernatorFan wrote:Holy cow, this looks good! I'm very happy to see you returning to sixth-scale kitbashing and picking up the dwarves quest. Your dedication to reproducing the detail accurately is so impressive, and the results likewise. Like the weaved patterning on the gloves, the rectangular patter on the belt, the leather goods, the souvlaki sticks buttons, everything! And that Frankenstein-like but perfectly appropriate underlying body, so cool (ironnips made me laugh out loud). Did I see you using foam to fill up the gap in the stomach area while allowing for articulation? Nice. Thanks for sharing, hope we'll see plenty more with these characters and others.

Thank you so much GTF! Hopefully another 7 characters to come to complete the 'band' of adventurers... Got some LOTR stuff planned too. Yes the abdomen is completely articulated but his heavy clothes and belt rather restrict it.

Ovy wrote:Yay great to see you and the dwarves again! Creative projects really have that bad habit of draining our energy. Would have been easier if Tolkien just made the story about 7 dwarves, like all the other guys did.

Agree with teh Guv, great love for details like the souvlaki buttons and the belt. I also really like the wrapping on the boots. And of course I love that pole weapon. And great work by peter.

Cheers Ovy! Yeah I'd be done now if it was only 7 Dwarves!! Laughing
Peter might be horrified at what happens next... it's by no means meant to disrespect Peter's brilliant work I just decided I wanted a more expressive face taking this character to the max of his grumpy/startled expressions in some of the pics, as if he finally heard what someone was trying to tell him! As for choosing the real hair and real beard route, that's just what I tend to do as I get more posability with the HS and can create more 'action poses' ie: windswept hair, wet bedraggled, super hero fighting and landing poses etc..

skywalkersaga wrote:Awesome to see you back! Have missed you and your builds!! 

And those are some impressive solutions for both the body and outfit/accessories. Honoured you are sharing this with us! :')

Cheers SWS! Means a lot that you guys are enjoying this build!

Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! What a come back, Alex. So glad to see you back and working on your Hobbits again. Beautiful work, and so many cool little details — you never fail to impress with all the little touches. Hopefully, though he’s retired from the game, Peter sees the final outcome of his sculpts and your stellar craftsmanship.

Thank you Striker!
Very sad to hear Peter's retired!!! Crying or Very sad Who will make all my future sculpts for a more than fair price?! Shocked I'll have to learn.. pale I'm only good at Aliens, robots and monsters!

Theboo-bomb wrote:Wow, I remember seeing your works as a lurker in other boards, I was always amazed on how you seemingly magically turned a lot of different parts into fantastic customs that blew my mind.  Fantastic work with so much lovely detail.

Cheers TTB! Great to meet you! I tend to hoard crap then turn it into things! Very Happy

BAMComix

BAMComix
Wow! just stunned. What amazing work, so much detail. You have a fine job!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
An ode to Peter's sculpt before I change it to suit my fickle artist's temperament!(I had touched up the paint a little bit and added a neck) i.e. : take it a completely different direction, SORRY PETER!! Embarassed

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 GX9WJCd

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 HV5Jtbi

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 NSDNKW1

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 DEqxWWC

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 ZbojFXg

THESE PICS ARE WHAT SPURRED MY DECISION TO CHANGE THINGS AND GIVE HIM MORE EXPRESSION, THE REAL HAIR IS JUST A PERSONAL PREFERENCE OF MINE AND TO ALLOW MORE ARTICULATION PLUS PHYSICALLY POSING THE HAIR ITSELF CREATING DIFFERENT LOOKS WITH HAIR WAX:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 C2A322j

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 IEMzQmr

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Me0BBNE

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 O5mpY82

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 RT2Iu0s

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 R4Kb36Y

ON WITH THE HERESY! i USED FIMO PROFESSIONAL DOLL ART POLYMER CLAY AND REBAKED IT :

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 1Tfi8UN

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 2ZYh5DZ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UKQKzAv

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 AXEXuNr

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 GF39FDA

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 C3E3Sc1

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 3Wt8pSq

BEFORE AND AFTER FINAL TRIM AND WAX APPLIED (I THINK). ADDED EARS, NEW BOTTOM LIP, HAIR, BEARD, BUSHY REAL HAIR EYEBROWS AND ALL THE BRAIDS MADE FROM REAL HAIR:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 P85OiJW

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 VeUFqt3

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 AbjswZx

HEARING AID, HAD TOO HEAT UP THE STEEL TO RED HOT AND BEND IT GRADUALLY IN THE VICE USING VICE GRIPS, THE FILE IT TO A TAPPER WHILE GETTING RID OF THE SLAG; ALSO USED COPPER WIRE AND COPPER STAPLES OVER THE PVC GLUE HARDENED FELT CARD:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 CFpTypw

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 WaYX5ta

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 AFs7XoD

CLOAK & NEW MORE ACCURATE KNIFE:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Sl7KGH9

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 POfrXnf

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 F2jXOZ7

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 9Lf5pbw

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Ol8ZgD2

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Ne6kwMw

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 9Pm0Zz0

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 FJQOYfk

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 55lQwL8

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 JYJsOL1

INITIAL COMPARISON PICS (TO OTHER DWARVES I'VE MADE) HAIR DEFINITELY WAXED HERE:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 V30Q0pL

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Oq1NtFT

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UTsFmD3

WEATHERING DONE TOO:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UQsEYQf

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Jai3kNh

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Y5VtofP

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 ZV5KYkW

OIN FINISHED AT LAST:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 YH6ceEC

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 BSAit4h

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 FUMexW5

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 2WAoRh7

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 OQ5t0jp

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 7TWo1tu

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 RP485N7

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 RKrxzMw

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 7FbKKO8

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Vk6xoIL

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 PK2da0t

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UlrYV6z

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 5IcYnnB

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Sfm8S7K

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 ULoPqKB

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 DxTK8IL

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 UJqtSAU

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 GLWuFfa

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 FsiIviV

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 N8wQbfQ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 PoYa7WG

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 8KASisu

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 LjVfcqd

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 LoaYZdo

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 T6AAK4Q

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Hj90hhT

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Gt75ApW

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 5Y6pwP4

7 DONE...7 TO GO.....

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
BAMComix wrote:Wow! just stunned. What amazing work, so much detail. You have a fine job!

Thank you very much and nice to meet you BAM!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Damn it! Just noticed I didn't add the distinctive vertical creases on his forehead! I'll do it later and maybe tidy a few bits and bobs up too...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Creases or not, he turned out grand! Looks right at home with the rest of the line-up. With you on the choice of 'real' hair -- good use of the wire to make the braids. And those are some EPIC eyebrows. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Diana

Diana
WOOOOW!!! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderfully crafty and creative process, which was so worth it, because he looks fantastic! Beautiful little details everywhere and I especially love that leather pouch. Very Happy

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
skywalkersaga wrote:Creases or not, he turned out grand! Looks right at home with the rest of the line-up. With you on the choice of 'real' hair -- good use of the wire to make the braids. And those are some EPIC eyebrows. Smile

Cheers for agreeing on the real hair decision, I'll add some white streaks in the hair later to go better with the braids, as for the eyebrows, they could have turned into Spitting Image's Dennis Healy!  Laughing I'll add some white/grey to them too so they blend in a bit better.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Denishealey1

Diana wrote:WOOOOW!!! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderfully crafty and creative process, which was so worth it, because he looks fantastic! Beautiful little details everywhere and I especially love that leather pouch. Very Happy

I'm so glad you enjoyed the build! Nice to meet you Diana!

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for showing the process. Always neat to see people customize their figures. There's something that just feels so much more rewarding when putting something together from different pieces and the solutions to create things from scratch. Well done!

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Fantastic build! I love seeing other folk play around with body mods that maintain articulation, and I love all the accessories too.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice job, Alex. Amazing job.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow. Very risky, very ambitious, and very well done. This guy's hair and beard were really distinctive, and I think you made the right call giving them the "real" hair treatment. Of course you've done this with some of the characters before, and this both surpasses and matches that.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
csyeung wrote:Thanks for showing the process. Always neat to see people customize their figures. There's something that just feels so much more rewarding when putting something together from different pieces and the solutions to create things from scratch. Well done!

Thank you csyeung! Yes scratch building can be a lot more fun and rewarding than just kitbashing and is definitely cheaper! LOL.

Lynkhart wrote:Fantastic build! I love seeing other folk play around with body mods that maintain articulation, and I love all the accessories too.

Cheers Lynkhart! These are odd bodies to start with, 8 inch Mego (I think) ones from Austin Powers, The Dr. Evil is my favourite as I get a head start with a jointed bicep and wrist on one arm so he can do his 'Evil gesture' with his pinky finger! lol. Each one comes with a MiniMe figure, no idea what to do with them, Goblins?

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice job, Alex. Amazing job.

Cheers Stryker!

GubernatorFan wrote:Wow. Very risky, very ambitious, and very well done. This guy's hair and beard were really distinctive, and I think you made the right call giving them the "real" hair treatment. Of course you've done this with some of the characters before, and this both surpasses and matches that.

Thank you again GTF! It allowed me to give him ears too! distinctive traits of the two brothers (had to give Gloin ears as well) even if he is deaf! lol.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Turned out fantastic, specially when you gave him that flowing mane of hair and a glorious beard!

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 1f60e

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Theboo-bomb wrote:Turned out fantastic, specially when you gave him that flowing mane of hair and a glorious beard!

Thank you TTB!!

Just found these concept and progress hair/beard designs using the actual actor for Oin's look:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 StNBiAq

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Right, round 8...Fight! ...er build!

Now you get to slog through the building process in real time with me as I try and work out what the hell I'm doing! Smile The pattern on his collar/shoulder covering is a hell of a lot more complicated than it initially looks, first appears just as a simple diamond pattern but if you look closely you'll see that it's actually a very complicated Celtic 'maze' design with certain parts not crossing other parts, beautiful to look at but a bugger to reproduce by hand! I'll see what I can get the printer and printable material to come up with first.

REFERENCE PICS:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 GSkpSTa

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 4ZSc5cP

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 P1sED4t

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 Hg6sjUN

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 6O9qmDw

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 NZKwnpY

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 71IRjJ6

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 GPJqy9t

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 PUuOYJ3

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 SEJPjhc

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 W3mtI5G

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 JWlIC4K

MADE MOST OF HS BODY AND DUG THROUGH ALL MY DWARF RELATED GEAR TO CHOOSE WHAT WILL BE USEFUL IN THIS BUILD:

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 B6BeKZP

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 QtVkVHu

Diana

Diana
Oooh !! YAY!!! bounce

That pattern comes down to two parallel zig zag lines interlocking the next pair. So at the very least you'll just need an edge folded in the middle to form a ^ at the right angle, then press into the material. If you want the look of stitches, then carve some gaps into the edge. Smile

That, to me, looks like the easy part. Laughing

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Diana wrote:Oooh !! YAY!!! bounce

That pattern comes down to two parallel zig zag lines interlocking the next pair. So at the very least you'll just need an edge folded in the middle to form a ^ at the right angle, then press into the material. If you want the look of stitches, then carve some gaps into the edge. Smile

That, to me, looks like the easy part. Laughing

You're right, I could have sworn the lines didn't crossover each other (which would have been the major headache) and did hundreds of 'stop, skip, go' partitions in the pattern but thankfully it looks like by brain just saw a more complicated pattern or I was looking at a particular part where the sculptor missed a bit or the light 'whited out' the lines?

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 R0TFbvI

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 28]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum