OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VTS Furiosa Modification

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

21VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:You ordered recently and received already!  Man, I'm dying here.  I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced, and still haven't received it!  Nothing shady, reliable seller, his shipment just hasn't come in yet.  Still the wait is killing me! Lol.

I actually got a second head from Monkeydepot (which already arrived!) to add the warpaint too.  It really is a beautiful sculpt, but I will admit, after all the devil's advocating I've done, that it definitely is pretty small in hand.  That said, I actually REALLY want another head for when those smaller TBL bodies come in.

Speaking of Monkey Depot, last I checked, they had the boxed set in stock for a reasonable price. Maybe I got lucky, with an eBay seller I trust and keep using over and over again. Lucky with service, not price in this case, although it was still better than most others on eBay when I ordered. Smile I also got a second head to modify with war paint. It is quite decent, though the paint work on the promotional images was more impressive. And I, too, was thinking of those smaller TBLeague bodies for the head.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

22VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 pm

ReverendSpooky

GubernatorFan wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:You ordered recently and received already!  Man, I'm dying here.  I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced, and still haven't received it!  Nothing shady, reliable seller, his shipment just hasn't come in yet.  Still the wait is killing me! Lol.

I actually got a second head from Monkeydepot (which already arrived!) to add the warpaint too.  It really is a beautiful sculpt, but I will admit, after all the devil's advocating I've done, that it definitely is pretty small in hand.  That said, I actually REALLY want another head for when those smaller TBL bodies come in.

Speaking of Monkey Depot, last I checked, they had the boxed set in stock for a reasonable price. Maybe I got lucky, with an eBay seller I trust and keep using over and over again. Lucky with service, not price in this case, although it was still better than most others on eBay when I ordered. Smile I also got a second head to modify with war paint. It is quite decent, though the paint work on the promotional images was more impressive. And I, too, was thinking of those smaller TBLeague bodies for the head.

Thanks for the heads up. I may grab a second full figure. Buying 2 Wasteland Rangers was such a good move, as that gear has been gold for customs. Now that Kyekye proved that the Furiosa gear is totally usable on a phicen, I'm seeing a ton of Kitbash potential.

http://reverendspooky.com

23VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:09 am

skywalkersaga

Beautiful modifications, kyekye -- absolutely LOVE this character, and would be proud to have *this* version of her on display! The wheel is a magnificent and iconic addition. (One of the things I loved about that film was how they drew this very powerful visual and symbolic connection between the steering wheel and the imagery of the 'sunwheel' -- it gave the world and the characters such a mythic feel!)

Do you mind me asking if you could elaborate a bit on how you did the 'bust reduction' on a tbleague body, and also the arm modification?

I ask because these methods could be very helpful, both to those wanting to modify their own Furiosa, but also in general, due to how difficult it is to find smaller-busted seamless bodies.

Re: the arm, you mentioned that it was affixed via the magnet that was part of the original arm. Do you think it would still be possible to do a similar modification, but with an arm that doesn't have a built-in magnet? (I'm trying to figure out if there is even the remotest possibility of creating a seamless/shirtless version of Hot Toys Anakin, with his mechanical arm fully on display.)

Perhaps you have already covered all of this somewhere else -- but any further tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! : )

24VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 am

Ovy

Wow thanks young Skywalker for digging all those great threads.

I am all for using a bit smaller heads on muscular bodies, makes them look stronger.

25VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:05 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:Wow thanks young Skywalker for digging all those great threads.

I am all for using a bit smaller heads on muscular bodies, makes them look stronger.

Haha, my pleasure, Ovy.  Just thought I'd research to see what had already been discussed here before launching into a brand new thread for every single one of my million questions. ;D

And yes, I agree -- and imo it worked perfectly on this figure. This Furiosa looks STRONG, like she should!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

26VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:11 am

brassco

brassco
Full Admiration from me...You actually make your own figure! Too much work for anybody! That's why it's unique!

27VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:46 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:Re: the arm, you mentioned that it was affixed via the magnet that was part of the original arm. Do you think it would still be possible to do a similar modification, but with an arm that doesn't have a built-in magnet? (I'm trying to figure out if there is even the remotest possibility of creating a seamless/shirtless version of Hot Toys Anakin, with his mechanical arm fully on display.)

Perhaps you have already covered all of this somewhere else -- but any further tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! : )

It's very do-able. I swapped my Furiosa over to a Phicen body too (I need to get some good pics). I wanted to keep the arm removable, like in the movie, and the magnet inside the new rubber arm is a bit fiddly, with a bit of a weak connection. I blame the thicker material, and the fact that i can't get the magnet to perfectly face the right direction.

But a permanent cyborg arm is probably way easier. If it's bulky, you could build it right over the seemless arm (I did this with an Iron-man arm and it works perfectly). Otherwise, it depends on how where the cybernetics start. But one thing I'd do is cut away the rubber but keep keep a bunch of the phicen steel skeleton arm intact, drill in to the cyborg arm, and anchor the steel rod from the skeleton into it. I have 2 figures with cybernetic arms I'm about to transfer over to Phicen bodies, and that's pretty much my plan.

28VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:
It's very do-able.  I swapped my Furiosa over to a Phicen body too (I need to get some good pics).  I wanted to keep the arm removable, like in the movie, and the magnet inside the new rubber arm is a bit fiddly, with a bit of a weak connection.  I blame the thicker material, and the fact that i can't get the magnet to perfectly face the right direction.

But a permanent cyborg arm is probably way easier.  If it's bulky, you could build it right over the seemless arm (I did this with an Iron-man arm and it works perfectly).  Otherwise, it depends on how where the cybernetics start.  But one thing I'd do is cut away the rubber but keep keep a bunch of the phicen steel skeleton arm intact, drill in to the cyborg arm, and anchor the steel rod from the skeleton into it.  I have 2 figures with cybernetic arms I'm about to transfer over to Phicen bodies, and that's pretty much my plan.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my no0b questions, Rev. ^.^

Glad to know someone else has also successfully accomplished this. I would love to see your modified Furiosa as well!

And the arm in question is pretty much the same size/shape as his real (fore)arm, just cybernetic. Some of earlier designs for Anakin's mech arm were a bit less straightforward, but the version in RotS joins right around/under the elbow:

VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Tumblr_ndhimtpYTZ1rs643mo1_500

VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Tumblr_ndhimtpYTZ1rs643mo2_500

(lol i totally did not have these gifs bookmarked, for...uh, reference XD )

And this is the actual 1/6 mech arm I'd need to attach (the screw thingie is, of course, for fitting it onto the Hot Toys arm):

VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Ani_s_10

(I'm thinking a potential issue might be actually finding a seamless body that has the correct arm shape/length in order to make it look symmetrical enough with his left arm....but that's for a whole 'nother topic, really).

But yes, the intention would be to have it permanently affixed. The 1/6 mechanical arm is fully articulated and can (lightly) grasp things. With this one, it might require leaving some of the tbleague 'skin' attached in order to make the transition between his arm and the mech arm look right, but I guess that's another bridge to be crossed when I'd get there....

29VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:16 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
It's very do-able.  I swapped my Furiosa over to a Phicen body too (I need to get some good pics).  I wanted to keep the arm removable, like in the movie, and the magnet inside the new rubber arm is a bit fiddly, with a bit of a weak connection.  I blame the thicker material, and the fact that i can't get the magnet to perfectly face the right direction.

But a permanent cyborg arm is probably way easier.  If it's bulky, you could build it right over the seemless arm (I did this with an Iron-man arm and it works perfectly).  Otherwise, it depends on how where the cybernetics start.  But one thing I'd do is cut away the rubber but keep keep a bunch of the phicen steel skeleton arm intact, drill in to the cyborg arm, and anchor the steel rod from the skeleton into it.  I have 2 figures with cybernetic arms I'm about to transfer over to Phicen bodies, and that's pretty much my plan.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my no0b questions, Rev. ^.^

Glad to know someone else has also successfully accomplished this. I would love to see your modified Furiosa as well!

And the arm in question is pretty much the same size/shape as his real (fore)arm, just cybernetic. Some of earlier designs for Anakin's mech arm were a bit less straightforward, but the version in RotS joins right around/under the elbow:

VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Tumblr_ndhimtpYTZ1rs643mo1_500

VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Tumblr_ndhimtpYTZ1rs643mo2_500

(lol i totally did not have these gifs bookmarked, for...uh, reference XD )

And this is the actual 1/6 mech arm I'd need to attach (the screw thingie is, of course, for fitting it onto the Hot Toys arm):

(I'm thinking a potential issue might be actually finding a seamless body that has the correct arm shape/length in order to make it look symmetrical enough with his left arm....but that's for a whole 'nother topic, really).

But yes, the intention would be to have it permanently affixed. The 1/6 mechanical arm is fully articulated and can (lightly) grasp things.  With this one, it might require leaving some of the tbleague 'skin' attached in order to make the transition between his arm and the mech arm look right, but I guess that's another bridge to be crossed when I'd get there....

Damn, Darth Vader was a sexy beast, even before he got James Earl Jones voice!

That type of arm is actually the best case scenario and I'd say easiest to do.  At the risk of hijacking this thread - What I would do, is get rid of the elbow joint on the Hot Toys arm entirely.  On your phicen body, cut away the rubber about 1/2 way down the forearm, leaving more flesh than you are actually going to see, and keeping the metal skeleton/rod intact.  Then, I'd hollow out a cavity a the top (closer to the elbow) of the Hot Toys arm and drill down, with a drill bit slightly smaller than the thickness of the Phicen metal skeleton/rod towards the hand.  Don't go too far, as you don't want to interfere with the wrist articulation.  

You'll have to cut the phicen rod down a bit.  Then simply slide the Phicen rod into the drilled out section, and push the extra Phicen rubber into the hollowed out cup at the top, and you should have a beautiful cybernetic arm.  You might need a little glue down in there, you'll want to hollow out a little more, and not drill as far as I show in the diagram, but that's the gist of it.  Having the rod run into the new arm would keep it really stable and very poseable.

That's how I would attack it.  Not sure if that's a good explanation, but feel free to hit me with any questions.

30VTS Furiosa Modification  - Page 2 Empty Re: VTS Furiosa Modification Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Damn, Darth Vader was a sexy beast, even before he got James Earl Jones voice!

Muahaha, Darth Daddy, indeed.  Laughing

ReverendSpooky wrote:That type of arm is actually the best case scenario and I'd say easiest to do.  

[....]

That's how I would attack it.  Not sure if that's a good explanation, but feel free to hit me with any questions.

Wow, thanks so much for this! You've given me a LOT to go on! And yes, I don't wish to hijack the thread further, so if I have any other questions (which I'm sure I will, lol), I'll PM you. Smile

Back on topic, I'd LOVE to see more modified Furiosa pics... : )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum