OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rei ayanami

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:34 pm

Xavion2004

This is SO cool! Seeing labors of love like this is one of my favorite things about the hobby. Everything is coming along very nicely.

I have the figma versions of Asuka and Mari, so I can appreciate what you’re trying to do. I never got around to picking up Rei, but if you need any reference shots of the other two in their plugs, just let me know.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen more 1/6 Evangelion girls in 1/6, especially Asuka. I always thought it was kind of odd how the male characters have been all but completely ignored when it comes to merchandising, but that seems to happen a lot in Asia. Look at all the Rems, Rams, and Emilias available with no sign of Subaru who’s the star of the show (Re: Zero).

27Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:01 pm

Randam Hajile

@Xavion2004
Actually, there have been Evangelion figures in 1/6 that were mainly made by Medicom. I remember that there were Rei and Asuka figures released about five years ago. Also, Takara had an Asuka figure in the Cool Girl line -- but this is from antediluvian times, of course.

28Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:33 pm

BAMComix

That is so cool!

29Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:55 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Oh man. Sorry to hear about the scaling issues. One of the odd ways in which I used to scale at least the throne and arch for my Jabba diorama was to measure the size of Jabba himself, and his throne from the figure against photographs of the same. Really helped to get an accurate representation of that section of the diorama. Same technique could work in the case of her vehicle.

30Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:23 pm

valentin

valentin
@GubernatorFan: Yeah, it was just like everything is looking good, and then, one print came out, and wait a minute, what the heck is this? kind of reaction from myself.

@Xavion2004: Thanks, really appreciate the gesture. So far I still not yet come across real life headsculpts of the other characters nor their plugsuits. Coming across Rei's head and plugsuit on taobao(China's online shopping platform), kinda make me notched the arrow and let it fly. I yet to watch the remakes of Evangelion, having only caught the original tv series(It's really bad, I still didn't understand what I was watching), however Rei's character was very much appealing to me due to her actions.

@Randam Hajile: Yeah, medicom's really is beyond my budget, and it is to my understanding that their vinyl/(or rubber) plugsuits weren't able to withstand the rigors of humidity and time. Also, their sculpts and bodies used, I would rather get a vinyl statue instead, at least the representation is more spot on.

@BAMComix: Thank you!

@ Stryker2011: Thanks! I did use a similar figure in my slicer software to gauge the scale, but it seems that it was really me pushing it to try to squeeze everything within the printer's volume to print it faster.... which, led me to see that it's quite ugly, and I rather just scale it properly and don't mind printing more pieces. Just more work covering seams later on.

So what happened?

I wanted to print similar to this:
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Screen14

And the source 3D files came like this:
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Screen15
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Screen13

To accommodate my printer, i need to chop everything up smaller to fit in.
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Screen16

And here's my "mini workshop: printers literally".
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa56

Here's hoping nothing else goes wrong, and I can quickly print out everything before the end of the month.

31Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
By the way, that is a very nice collection, round your printer.

32Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:41 pm

ElBundy

ElBundy
Very nice work. What printer model is it exactly? Do you need a ventilator to cool it while printing? 3d-printing seems to be a very special issue. One problem for me is the missing working space for such a device.

33Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:37 am

valentin

valentin
@GubernatorFan: you meant this?
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa57

or these?
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa58

LOL, the showcases beneath the printer are temp, more like I have no space or ideas to display as yet, and the other is my main star wars theme display. Though, the top is more like storage instead.

@ElBundy: it's an Anet A8, bought it in June 2018, and only set it up last year in April. And from then been a journey of rookie mistakes. Only this year could I get nice viable prints out of it, but that's after I wasted 3 reels of filament in total.
Ventilator is not necessary since I only using PLA. The mini fan is more to cool down the electronics, since I busted the main cooling fan(hotend) of printer, and just waiting for spares to come from china.
I agree, work space is really necessary for 3D printing. And it's worth it, I can gain certain collectibles that I didn't have or miss out, via printing.

34Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:26 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It's a very nice collection overall, and cool that you are able to display so much of it. But, yes, I'm partial to the Star Wars stuff. Wink

35Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:52 am

valentin

valentin
Thanks! Those were indeed the good old days of sideshow, with their cool releases of star wars characters. I still regret not being able to complete the cantina band due to 2 members being a celebration exclusive.

After hot toys took over.... star wars just doesn't feel the same anymore.

36Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:50 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
@Valentin
That's really a nice collection! Rei ayanami - Page 2 1f44d

3D printing is such a promising technique. I really want to try it myself one day, but the technical details still feel a little overwhelming. I hope that you will overcome the scaling issues soon and will produce a suitable seat for Rei.

37Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:37 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great display!

38Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:38 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great collection of figures, valentin. I love how you have them interacting with each other -- Rebels pointing weapons at Imperials, Imperials pointing weapons at Rebels, etc. Very cool way to display them.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Rei ayanami - Page 2 C8485110

39Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:46 pm

valentin

valentin
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa59
Left is the old, and the right is the newly rescaled.

It just fits great, with the same amount of space as like the statues.

40Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:10 pm

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Great! This seems to come along nicely! I'm looking forward to see the finished model.

41Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:50 am

valentin

valentin
So I caught covid-19, and it was the omicron variant. Today marks the 7th day in solitary isolation, and nearly went nuts about it. It was bad coz I supposedly work-from-home, but I did a freelance project which unknowingly exposed me to the bug, and man, it's so not worth it.... the medical bills, the ARI symptoms, the isolation necessity and discomfort with inconveniences. It's real bad....

On the other hand, apart from settling all my admin work with a feverish and nearly fried brain, It was nice to just print and print without a care.... harsh work it was trimming everything at one go.

So my current progress!
• Parts glued
• Magnets installed
• Now doing the lighting and hiding the electronics

Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa60

42Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:48 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ouch. Hope you are feeling well and fully recovered soon. And nice to have at least this silver lining, of advancing with your project.

43Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Man, that sucks. Hope you are feeling better. Your silver lining is looking good.

44Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:44 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Feel better soon!

45Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:32 pm

valentin

valentin
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa61
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa62

Electronics done!

Now left with stand and paint.

46Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:46 pm

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Sorry to hear about your illness. I hope you feel better soon.

That's really nice progress on the 3D prints. It scales perfectly now.  Rei ayanami - Page 2 1f44d  Rei ayanami - Page 2 1f44d  Rei ayanami - Page 2 1f44d

47Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 pm

valentin

valentin
Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! Am almost at the end of the cycle, i think, will do a swab tomorrow to confirm.

And here's better pics, and the overall length is 81cm.
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa63
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa64
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa65

48Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glad to hear you're on the mend. And the printed and reassembled vehicle looks massive (in the best sense) now. Cool electronic light, too.

49Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:03 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good to hear about the improving health. The craft looks awesome.

50Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:44 am

Diana

Diana
Glad you're feeling better, and what better way of using that time than to get creative! Your project is very impressive and looking great!

51Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:13 am

valentin

valentin
Spent a week printing the stands, and priming the cockpit.

Looks like plenty of areas to touch up.

Forgive the location of photography, it's in the balcony, permitting the adhesive on the 4 parts of the stand to air dry.

Rei ayanami - Page 2 Whatsa66

52Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:55 pm

valentin

valentin
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Img_2025
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Img_2027
Rei ayanami - Page 2 Img_2026

More pics, gonna prime tomorrow

53Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Coming along beautifully.

54Rei ayanami - Page 2 Empty Re: Rei ayanami Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:18 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
It looks absolutely fantastic. I can’t wait to see the finished version!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum