OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

150's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
These are the first shots of my retro Astronette.  The figure is a TB League S21B large bust with a Super Duck Head Sculpt.  The helmet, harness and backpack, wait belt, ray gun and wrist protectors are from a CY Girls Aurora figure.  The suit, which was gotten off e-Bay replaces the original CY Girls suit which was falling apart. The boots. The gloves are from VS toys, and the boots, which are soon to be replaced by better ones are parted out from a Tifa set.t
Except for the boots, I really like the way this kitbash turned out and she is already one of my favorite figures.

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 51720686656_66f3b56fd3_b
Retro Astronette: First Shots by
Gary  Menten, on Flickr

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 51720934943_d1b9b3a965_b
Gary  Menten, on Flickr

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 51720934808_fca6e3b2aa_b
Gary  Menten, on Flickr

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 51721346499_2ea4369f1a_b
Gary  Menten, on Flickr

250's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:18 pm

davidd

davidd
Your astronette is out of this world! The helmet and laser pistol are beyond epic! The shoulder pads and wrist gauntlets enhance the retro-futuristic appearance.

The boots are pretty good, but to my eye, they lack the size and bulk necessary to blend seamlessly with the other over-sized elements like the shoulder pads and wrist gauntlets. Perhaps you could look at boots for male figures, or at "toy" figure boots. I'm sure you'll find something suitable. You really have an eye for putting together visually interesting figures.

This is what bringing Major Matt Mason in to the 21st Century looks like! Love it!

Is she going to have a name?

350's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:40 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Fun kitbash, so evocative of the bygone age of 50s science fiction. Well done.

450's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
davidd wrote:Your astronette is out of this world! The helmet and laser pistol are beyond epic! The shoulder pads and wrist gauntlets enhance the retro-futuristic appearance.

The boots are pretty good, but to my eye, they lack the size and bulk necessary to blend seamlessly with the other over-sized elements like the shoulder pads and wrist gauntlets. Perhaps you could look at boots for male figures, or at "toy" figure boots. I'm sure you'll find something suitable. You really have an eye for putting together visually interesting figures.

This is what bringing Major Matt Mason in to the 21st Century looks like! Love it!

Is she going to have a name?

For sure she's going to have a name. Haven't decided yet, Since the head sculpt depicts an Asian or Eurasian, and since she was originally Kamiko's pall Gogo. I was thinking of names like

Gogo Yamaguchi
Susie Suzuki
or Susie Shimakaze,

But I was also considering names like:

Venus Starseeker and Nancy Nova.

550's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:34 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:Fun kitbash, so evocative of the bygone age of 50s science fiction. Well done.

Thank-you

650's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:19 am

csyeung

csyeung
Looks super cool! I like Venus Starseeker.

750's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:22 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Love it. Classic retro Space Opera.
Second vote for Venus Starseeker

850's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:43 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
She looks awesome Gary! I really like the whole look!

950's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:34 am

Diana

Diana
She looks great!! And I especially like the presentation: So simple, yet you picked a perfect background, and the lighting adds to the "atmosphere" in space. Nicely done!

1050's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:17 am

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Ohh, that's a very nice looking kitbash. I like retro scifi stuff.

1150's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:01 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 51721852170_511f2194a1_b
120321_0010 by
Gary  Menten, on Flickr

1250's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:03 am

Chip

She looks great Gary , hope you sort the boots soon . I agree with Dave something a little heavier looking may suit . I really like the look of the pistol and helmet too , nice to see something different . Well done . Love the extra photo you added .

1350's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:37 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Chip wrote:She looks great Gary , hope you sort the boots soon . I agree with Dave something a little heavier looking may suit . I really like the look of the pistol and helmet too , nice to see something different . Well done . Love the extra photo you added .

If the helmet seems familiar to you it's because it's an almost exact copy of the bubble canopy on Roby the Robot from "Forbidden Planet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fw7PcJcufM

1450's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:17 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Great kitbash!
It reminds me a little of the "Nuka Cola"-Ads from the Fallout-Computer game.

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Nuka-Cola-ad-pre-trailer

Maybe some long black boots might also work... 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 1f60e

1550's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:21 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Randam Hajile wrote:Great kitbash!
It reminds me a little of the "Nuka Cola"-Ads from the Fallout-Computer game.

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Nuka-Cola-ad-pre-trailer

Maybe some long black boots might also work... 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 1f60e

Yes, that has a very 50's retro look to it, as if all a girl needs to survive in the vacuum of space is a bubble helmet and an air supply. There is a lot of the art of that era that is don like this.

1650's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:22 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Haha, that's ridiculous in a fun way. I like the background, looks spacy.
A lot can be done with that, Styrofoam rocks in front of a retro Matte painting, or photo filters making it look like an old movie.

For more retro SciFi you could dress James Bond-Fleming as ZARDOS.

1750's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Yes! Yes! Yes! One thousand times, yes!
I love everything about this figure.
Time for some 50’s style background props.
Looking forward to more!

1850's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:12 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What a fun figure! I love the retro-futuristic aesthetic! She looks great both with and without the helmet.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

1950's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:36 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:What a fun figure! I love the retro-futuristic aesthetic! She looks great both with and without the helmet.

Thank-you. The end result, excepting the boots, is very satisfying.

2050's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:38 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Haha, that's ridiculous in a fun way. I like the background, looks spacy.
A lot can be done with that, Styrofoam rocks in front of a retro Matte painting, or photo filters making it look like an old movie.

For more retro SciFi you could dress James Bond-Fleming as ZARDOS.

I actually have a Webley Revolver in 1/6, which is a as close to the Webley-Fosbery that Connery carries in that film, as anyone will ever make in this scale.

2150's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:42 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
That is a very cool retro vibes figure. Well done Smile

2250's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:01 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very cool retro 50s style B-movie Sci-Fi hottie. That Robbie The Robot-style helmet is perfect. I definitely agree the boots need to be replaced, but everything else fits together nicely.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

50's Retro Astronette Kitbash C8485110

2350's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:52 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Very cool retro 50s style B-movie Sci-Fi hottie. That Robbie The Robot-style helmet is perfect. I definitely agree the boots need to be replaced, but everything else fits together nicely.

For sure, I am looking for better boots.

2450's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:33 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Very cool, I really like all those retro "spacemen" the style is just phenomenal. The retro bubble helmets are always a great touch.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash 1f60e

2550's Retro Astronette Kitbash Empty Re: 50's Retro Astronette Kitbash Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:14 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:Very cool, I really like all those retro "spacemen" the style is just phenomenal.  The retro bubble helmets are always a great touch.

I have to be very careful with that helmet. If I break it or crack it, I'm not likely to find another....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum