OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Chip

I got the urge some time back to add a bit more interest and diversity into my collection , and so wandered away from my usual NAM figures , and I ended up getting a Hasbro Darth Maul figure . Well the plan was to upgrade him a bit , the main things that lacked realism were his hands and boots . So I started off by transferring his head onto a DiD body , and swapped out the boots . I added some shrink tube to a pair of black gloves , to give the impression of gauntlets . ( These are hard and expensive to source I found ) . And this is how he ended up looking . I quite like the Hasbro sculpt , even if it`s not up to modern standards .

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  1-P1140249

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  2-P1140243

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  3-P1140238

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  4-P1140254

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  5-P1140261

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  6-P1140283

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  7-P1140281

Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  8-P1140268

2Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:15 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like it. Nice work. There is much that can be used for higher end customs in these old Hasbro 12 inch sets, and Maul's clothing and especially cape are very good. The upgrades to the boots and cuffs work very well. The sculpt is nice, even if the expression seems a little thoughtful -- and perhaps atypical that way. I think something that could help sell it as more realistic are some coats of transparent Vallejo matte varnish -- they are not super matte (in fact I don't use them on my human head repaints because of that), but maybe multiple layers would do the trick. Just don't let the matte varnish get into the eyes, which should stay glossy.

3Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 pm

Chip

Thanks Ian , your suggestion is worth some thought and I had not considered it . It`s strange that the more vintage figures are hard to photograph without getting some shine , and I can see what your saying looking back over these . Glad you like him though .

4Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:22 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Nice job! I really love to see upgraded Hasbro SW figures, makes me happy. :')

Vallejo matte varnish would indeed help with the shine, and another option is Liquitex Matte varnish/finish. I thin it out (with either water or airbrush thinner) and then dab it on with a makeup sponge, but it can be brushed on too, of course. But if it's the Liquitex it will need thinning.

If you got any on th eyes you could always just gloss them up again with a gloss finish. ;p

But even without that, the upgrade looks great as it is. Reminds me that I have my own hasbro upgrades to get around to...

What is 'shrink tube', btw?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

5Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:30 am

Chip

Thanks , here is a link to shrink tube , I find it quite useful . You can get it in all different sizes and colours on Amazon , eBay ect  .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Shrink+tube&qpvt=Shrink+tube&view=detail&mid=61911B631EB8751E854361911B631EB8751E8543&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DShrink%2Btube%26qpvt%3DShrink%2Btube%26FORM%3DVDRE

6Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:36 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
His expression is a bit...sad. Otherwise a good option for a not so expensive maul figure. I like hasbro clothing for higher end figures if used wisely.

7Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:27 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Chip wrote:Thanks , here is a link to shrink tube , I find it quite useful . You can get it in all different sizes and colours on Amazon , eBay ect  .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Shrink+tube&qpvt=Shrink+tube&view=detail&mid=61911B631EB8751E854361911B631EB8751E8543&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DShrink%2Btube%26qpvt%3DShrink%2Btube%26FORM%3DVDRE

Cool, thanks for the link. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:28 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the shrink tube link too.

9Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Chip

Your both welcome . Very Happy

10Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  Empty Re: Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul . Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:08 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's very good, the hasbro star wars stuff has it's uses. Great idea using shrink tubing for the gloves too. One thing that I've always found a bit interesting is hasbro's decision to sculpt the actor's eyebrows on the head.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Hasbro Revamped Darth Maul .  1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum