OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tusken Raider review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tusken Raider review Empty Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:05 pm

michael crawford

I wasn't sure I needed a Hot Toys Tusken Raider, but I'm glad I picked one up. It's an improvement over the old Sideshow version in every way, and is quickly becoming one of my favorite recent releases. You can find my review here:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-011722a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

2Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the review, Michael. Looks like a great figure, and your criticisms are well-grounded (boots, cost). There are some very minor differences in appearance between the Mandalorian and Original Trilogy Tuskens, which play a role here. Looking at your older review of the Sideshow figure, I love that one too. Don't own either set, but spent far too much money picking up parted-out parts for the new one.

3Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:31 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thank you for the review! Smile

I guess with the new Book of Boba FEtt series, we might see another similar figure soon. But I guess that won't lower any prices...

4Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:30 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the review, Michael. It pushed me over the edge to order one. There’s a customizer over at the Freaks who is making a full layered robe outfit to mimic the OT Tuskens, so I’m hoping I can get a set to change out with this guy, since my one not is that the robes are too clean, and not tattered enough for my liking; p,us, I think the material is wrong and doesn’t drape as well. I had enough rewards (at Sideshow) from having to PO exclusives, that I was able to pick this guy up at a decent discount, so that helped.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Tusken Raider review C8485110

5Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the review, Michael. It pushed me over the edge to order one. There’s a customizer over at the Freaks who is making a full layered robe outfit to mimic the OT Tuskens, so I’m hoping I can get a set to change out with this guy, since my one not is that the robes are too clean, and not tattered enough for my liking; p,us, I think the material is wrong and doesn’t drape as well. I had enough rewards (at Sideshow) from having to PO exclusives, that I was able to pick this guy up at a decent discount, so that helped.

Just got my parted out parts and reconstituted a raider (went through three bodies before finally locating a spare HT Mudtrooper body I had tucked away, and it finally worked). Completely agree about the outer robe. One with longer sleeves would be better, although admittedly I have the OT Tuskens in my head. Can you let us know when there are more details on the custom robes?

6Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:44 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here’s the link, Ian:

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/interest-list-for-a-custom-1-6-anh-style-tusken-raider-robe.243843/

7Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks, Mark, looks like I'll have to seriously consider joining the Freaks...

8Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
My Mando Tusken arrived yesterday from Sideshow. Still haven’t opened it yet.

9Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:My Mando Tusken arrived yesterday from Sideshow. Still haven’t opened it yet.

Here's my little reconstituted raider:

Tusken Raider review Tuskra10

10Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. Like you, I’m so stuck on OT Raiders that it’s hard to get past the overly clean look of the Mando versions.

11Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. Like you, I’m so stuck on OT Raiders that it’s hard to get past the overly clean look of the Mando versions.

Agreed, while I realize mine is not the genuine figure (besides some of the accessories I did not pick up, I also don't employ any padding on the body -- largely lest it impede articulation), I'm slightly underwhelmed, probably because subconsciously I'm attached to the slightly different OT look. And unless I'm mistaken, the Sideshow version got that better (naturally, since that is what it was going for), and I am extremely impressed by what TheBooBomb was able to do with the Hasbro version. But it's good enough for now -- and never a grail character for me anyway.

12Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:10 am

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. Like you, I’m so stuck on OT Raiders that it’s hard to get past the overly clean look of the Mando versions.

Agreed, while I realize mine is not the genuine figure (besides some of the accessories I did not pick up, I also don't employ any padding on the body -- largely lest it impede articulation), I'm slightly underwhelmed, probably because subconsciously I'm attached to the slightly different OT look. And unless I'm mistaken, the Sideshow version got that better (naturally, since that is what it was going for), and I am extremely impressed by what TheBooBomb was able to do with the Hasbro version. But it's good enough for now -- and never a grail character for me anyway.

The original designs are so classic, and instilled in my brain, that I knew changing at least one of my Mando Tuskens was going to be essential.

I ordered one of Cocoboloboy's outer robes before he started offering the inners, but when he showed photos of the figure upgraded with the full set I started to fashion something myself.

I took the inner robe from the 1990s Kenner Obi-Wan, put it on backwards and started cutting excess material away until it looked OT-like. I coloured it with a wash of acrylic paint, which gave it a grubbier appearance.

Tusken Raider review 100_1810

I originally planned to keep the second Mando Tusken as stock, representing a different tribe. However, the inner robe fashioned being like a dress rather than a wrap bothered me.

While searching for photos of ANH Tuskens I found a selection showing a screen used costume on display. One of them looked like they'd used the outer robe as an inner one, wrapped over with the belt fastened around it:

Tusken Raider review Anh-tusken3-jpg

It corresponded to the look used for the bantha riders in ANH:

Tusken Raider review Anh-tusken7-jpg

I tried it with the Mando robe, and it works for the upper half, but not so well for the lower as it's too short and not full enough:

Tusken Raider review 51825997036_b26df12dff_o

So I put Tusken #2 into the background behind some Jawas, so only the better half is on show:

Tusken Raider review 51825332822_e88335bb98_o

13Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:10 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That is excellent work, Asta. Very impressive, and a great addition to your collection. All your figures look great, and in this instance you have done so much to improve them. It gives me hope, as I think I've missed my chance at the Coco robes -- apart from the long waitlist, I don't seem to be able to so much as register on that forum (although that might be just some defense add-on in my browser being overly protective). LOL So which specific 90s Kenner/Hasbro Obi-Wan did you rob of his robe? The one with the light robes, and Luke's training helmet?

14Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:04 am

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:That is excellent work, Asta. Very impressive, and a great addition to your collection. All your figures look great, and in this instance you have done so much to improve them.

Thanks. Smile

GubernatorFan wrote:So which specific 90s Kenner/Hasbro Obi-Wan did you rob of his robe? The one with the light robes, and Luke's training helmet?

The outer robe is the one from Cocoboloboy.

The inner robe was made from the inner robe from this figure:

Tusken Raider review 71tdtx10
Tusken Raider review A17p_110

Using a figure body as a tailor's dummy I put the Obi-Wan robe on backwards; cut away the sleeves; cut away the collar; cut the material all the way up the front (i.e., what was originally the back); then cut away the unnecessary excess material from the back of the figure.

I painted it with a wash of Games Workshop's Graveyard Earth.

I wish I had another one to have done the same with for the second Tusken.

EDIT:

I meant to ask how you got the outfit onto the body.

Looking at mine the robe appears to be sewn up the back, and not intended to be removed. I was hoping to turn it round on the second Tusken so that the split was at the front, which would help with selling the idea that it was a wrapped garment.

15Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 am

davidd

davidd
Wow, Asta! What a great Star Wars collection! It's certainly realistic... or... they all look "screen" realistic!

16Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:08 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Cool, specially those customs those are great.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Tusken Raider review 1f60e

17Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:15 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Nice one Gub! I love the look

And great collection Asta!  bounce

18Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 am

Skippy

davidd wrote:Wow, Asta! What a great Star Wars collection! It's certainly realistic... or... they all look "screen" realistic!

Theboo-bomb wrote:Cool, specially those customs those are great.

Valiarde wrote:And great collection Asta!  bounce

Thanks. Smile

Star Wars is probably the single largest part of the collection/addiction so that's the tip of the iceberg!

19Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:39 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the additional information, Asta. Again, excellent work, both by yourself and Coco's talented seamstress. I picked up a Kenner/Hasbro Obi-Wan to try to follow your example with the inner robe -- and maybe see what I can do with the outer robe (since one of Coco's is not likely in the cards for me).

20Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:34 am

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for the additional information, Asta. Again, excellent work, both by yourself and Coco's talented seamstress. I picked up a Kenner/Hasbro Obi-Wan to try to follow your example with the inner robe -- and maybe see what I can do with the outer robe (since one of Coco's is not likely in the cards for me).

After the encouragement of your message I reversed the robe on Tusken #2 this morning, so that the split was at the front:

Tusken Raider review 100_1811

It's not perfect, but it does break up the solid outline of the stock Mando Tusken robe. In hand it looks much more appealing than before...

Tusken Raider review 51825997036_b26df12dff_o

Taking his 'dress' off wasn't too bad at all, so I don't know why I didn't attempt it in the first place.

21Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:43 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm glad you did it, Asta, and I think it looks better even in the photos. I think I will be doing the same thing soon enough. Smile

22Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:13 am

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:I'm glad you did it, Asta, and I think it looks better even in the photos. I think I will be doing the same thing soon enough. Smile

When I put him back into the display I even spaced the Jawas apart, because his fellow Tusken isn't teasing him any more for his fashion faux pas. Laughing

23Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:After the encouragement of your message I reversed the robe on Tusken #2 this morning, so that the split was at the front.

After encouragement and inspiration from you, I couldn't resist and did the same. Have not yet had a chance to get and customize Kenner/Hasbro Obi-Wan robes. I did add some padding over the upper torso and shoulders, and segments of the arms, in the form of layers of kinesiology tape. May have helped a little bit.

Tusken Raider review Tusks010

Tusken Raider review Tusks011

Confident in his somewhat improved look, he took a stroll in the desert. And look! He's already made friends:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1973-star-wars-sandtrooper-kitbash-custom-updated-with-part-ii#73894

24Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 am

Skippy

It's an instant improvement!

25Tusken Raider review Empty Re: Tusken Raider review Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:It's an instant improvement!

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it, although I still have a ways to go to follow in your footsteps. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum