OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I will let the figures speak for themselves first...

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) Sreu0110

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) Sreu0210

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) Sreu0310

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) Sreu0410

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) Sreu0510

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) Sreu0610

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) Sreu0710

Yes, I caved in and got a bunch of the parted-out parts from the ADD Toys King of Khalasar set, inspired by Jason Momoa's portrayal of Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones. As you can see, the product looks like the prototype and does a very good job of capturing the subject. But there are various practical issues with it. To be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan of the whole Dothraki concept and ark, especially as realized on the show (I cannot speak for the original author's creation, which I have not read) -- the Mongols who inspired them were quite different in appearance, behavior, dress, and statecraft; like the other margins of the Game of Thrones world, these never seemed particularly compelling or interesting to me. But ADD Toys did make a good representation of the character and type based on the show. The likeness of the head sculpt is quite good, I think more faithful to its subject than ADD Toys' War Wolves were to Hugh Jackman as Logan. The transition from molded hair to "real hair" braid is well done. The head might be sitting just a little bit too high on the neck. The ADD Toys seamless body is very nicely and realistically sculpted, a great visual alternative to what TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, and now LDDoll have made. As a bonus, it is also more detailed in its paint application, with both war paint stripes and painted-on hair -- though only for the parts that you see exposed, which is practical but feels like cheating to me. I knew of this limitation, and I was already very disappointed by the practical limitations (when it comes to articulation and poseability) of these bodies. I was hoping against hope that they would improve and stupidly gave them another try. I knew I should have resisted and just customized a proper TBLeague seamless body instead -- the ADD Toys body, for all of its more detailed (in part!) appearance, is still a wobbly, rickety mess to deal with (there is no complete underlying metal skeleton to ensure smooth and precise articulation). It might also be a little on the slender side for the character's appearance. I do not enjoy criticizing a product too harshly, but this is their second time, and there is no improvement. I hope I have learned my lesson this time.

Why is this not a proper review? Because I did not purchase the complete set (given how many parts I did purchase, I might as well have done so). What you see is reconstituted with the actual parted-out parts (but the hands are just random bendy hands of the right color). The outfit is pretty nicely done, but the one-piece boots are unhelpful for balance and articulation, and again the whole body's ability to balance and pose is severely restricted (it cannot even sit properly). Most collectors who do not keep their figures in their original packaging or other containers are likely to display them in some sort of museum pose. This might be ok for this purpose (just don't expect it to keep its balance forever), but I expect better from an action figure. The irony is that more people went for the parted-out body than for the parted-out head; and yet the head is infinitely better than the body.

As always, what do you think.

#gameofthrones #hbo #khaldrogo #jasonmomoa #male #fantasy #tv

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Nice (partial?) review of the "Khal Drogo"-figure. I like your little photo story very much ... but I am afraid that Ciri won't take it lightly that Drogo gave her jewelry-belt to Daenerys. Don't mess with a girl of the elder blood, her wrath will be horrible! jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) 1f600 jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) 1f600 jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) 1f600

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice photo review. I still can’t get past the issue of the body not being big enough (less broad in the shoulders, torso, than it should be, for JM).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Nice (partial?) review of the "Khal Drogo"-figure. I like your little photo story very much ... but I am afraid that Ciri won't take it lightly that Drogo gave her jewelry-belt to Daenerys. Don't mess with a girl of the elder blood, her wrath will be horrible!  jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) 1f600  jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) 1f600  jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) 1f600  

Thank you very much. Yes, good catch. Perhaps Ciri had to sell her belt... or perhaps Drogo picked it off her dead body. I have no idea... But yes, either one would be fearsome in her wrath.

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice photo review. I still can’t get past the issue of the body not being big enough (less broad in the shoulders, torso, than it should be, for JM).

Thank you very much. I agree, he seems a little too slender to me, although I realize he was less buff for this role than for his appearances as Aquaman.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Thanks for the review on the figures attributes or rather the lack of them regarding the body. if anything i can take from it a "buyers beware" because even though my 1/6 projects are on ice for a bit, i can't help but stock up on the odd muscular body, if my store of choice has it on offer.

that being said, it oddly reminds me of when arnold had a less bulky phase, doing fitness videos, which i only found years later on youtube. scaling down on the juice he almost appeared "skinny" if you only saw him at his best.

same goes for jason momoa in his role in game of thrones. having seen him in his version of conan the babarian shortly before having a look at game of thrones, i was hoping for a raw physical counterpart to the "knights in shining armor".

sadly that wasnt going to last(i know game of thrones,"almost everybody kicks the bucket at some point") and the way the character was offed didn't help keeping me interested in the series either.

maybe if there was a "mountain" figure of proper size i'd get it for the sheer bulk of it, but for now i pass on g.o.t.

again thanks for the time going through the figures pros and cons and putting them on display.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Tjolnir wrote:Thanks for the review on the figures attributes or rather the lack of them regarding the body. if anything i can take from it a "buyers beware" because even though my 1/6 projects are on ice for a bit, i can't help but stock up on the odd muscular body, if my store of choice has it on offer.

that being said, it oddly reminds me of when arnold had a less bulky phase, doing fitness videos, which i only found years later on youtube. scaling down on the juice he almost appeared "skinny" if you only saw him at his best.

same goes for jason momoa in his role in game of thrones. having seen him in his version of conan the babarian shortly before having a look at game of thrones, i was hoping for a raw physical counterpart to the "knights in shining armor".

sadly that wasnt going to last(i know game of thrones,"almost everybody kicks the bucket at some point") and the way the character was offed didn't help keeping me interested in the series either.

maybe if there was a "mountain" figure of proper size i'd get it for the sheer bulk of it, but for now i pass on g.o.t.

again thanks for the time going through the figures pros and cons and putting them on display.

You are very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed the review and photo story. It really is a damn shame, because they did a great job creating a realistic, muscular, yet relatively slender body, and gave it a very nice (if only partial) paint treatment with the hairs and war paint. But it is just not practical when it comes to balance and articulation (besides, you are looking for more, not less muscular bodies). Drogo died so long ago, I didn't quite remember how buff or how slender he actually was, although I did look at a few photos before deciding about the body -- it is a little too slender, but he was indeed not at his most muscular for this series. And you're right, Arnie's musculature varied between movies, even between Conan ones and Terminator ones. Actually, just received a new, aged Arnie head sculpt today, from the DJ Customs set.

brassco

brassco
well, since both characters have died, they probably reunited in heaven...or hell...

nice figures, both characters' height issues were addressed here.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Nice figures and mini photo-story! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
brassco wrote:well, since both characters have died, they probably reunited in heaven...or hell... nice figures, both characters' height issues were addressed here.

Very good point, I should have thought of that, other-worldy reunion! Yes, they are pretty nice, even if not totally perfect iterations.

skywalkersaga wrote:Nice figures and mini photo-story! Smile

Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That headsculpt is really good, the body too but if it's rickety then it's a shame. The rest of the clothing is pretty good. Can't comment on the lore of the drotraki (or however it's written) since I was never that interested in the universe so I never felt like looking for more info. But, knowing how TV works they probably adapted it to fit what they wanted.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! jasonmomoa - Silent Reunion (part photo story, part review) 1f60e

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Cool photo story!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:That headsculpt is really good, the body too but if it's rickety then it's a shame. The rest of the clothing is pretty good. Can't comment on the lore of the drotraki (or however it's written) since I was never that interested in the universe so I never felt like looking for more info. But, knowing how TV works they probably adapted it to fit what they wanted.

I agree. Perhaps J. R. R. Martin did a better job with them in his books, but the movie version didn't seem all that compelling, or impressive, or interesting, in my opinion anyway. Visually, ADD did an almost perfect job, but the practicalities are very annoying.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Cool photo story!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it.

Illusion

Illusion
When the first pic loaded, I had thought you‘d start with a shot from the TV show alien
so, the head sculpt is really pretty good.
nice outfit too.
Great job with the background again too!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Illusion wrote:When the first pic loaded, I had thought you‘d start with a shot from the TV show alien
so, the head sculpt is really pretty good. nice outfit too. Great job with the background again too!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. And I was worried the image (projected on my computer screen) was a bit grainy!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum