OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arcata the Ace

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Arcata the Ace Empty Arcata the Ace Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:18 pm

Arcata

Arcata
With the arrival of my TB League S22A body yesterday, I was finally able to combine it with my SDH018A head sculpt and start working on my first bash.  I decided to do a fictional fighter pilot uniform in the modern jet age.  I cannibalized the parts from three different BBi kits that I've owned for many years (after removing pounds of dust from each and washing them Laughing ).  For a base uniform, I chose a set of "Desert Battle Dress Uniform- 6 Color Desert", used by US forces in the 80's and early 90's.  I grew up a stone's throw from USMCAS El Toro, a Marine Corps air station that is long since gone (made famous as the base in the movie "Independence Day").  This camouflage pattern brings back memories of my childhood, and to us it was always known as "Chocolate Chip Camo".  To my knowledge no fighter pilots ever wore chocolate chip camo as a flight suit, but that didn't stop me from choosing it, since this character doesn't have to be historically accurate.  The pilot equipment came from an action figure that included the standard sage green "CWU-27/P" nomex flight suit, but I figured a contrasting uniform would stand out and add more visual interest to the bash.

The SIG P226 pistol has nothing to do with the character impression, but since Arcata had a free hand, I figured why not.  And the P226 is very similar to the P228, which was carried by fighter pilots in all branches of the service as the "M11".

Arcata the Ace I-ZkvgcXD-XL

The BDU's went on without incident.  Even though the shirt and pants were meant for a larger, male figure, the shirt was a close fit since the S22A is quite busty, even as a "medium" chest size.  Where I ran into the first struggle was when it came time to zip up the poop suit.  S22/S23 have very muscular thighs, and the poop suit is already supposed to be a tight fit, as they are in real life.  The suit fit on, but just barely.  For those who may not be familiar with military aviation, the G-suit (affectionately known as the "poop suit") is a pair of leggings that go over the legs and abdomen.  The best way to describe it is as a body sized blood pressure cuff, which basically is what it is.  The hose coming from the suit attaches to a compressed air system in the jet.  When the jet performs a high-G maneuver, the suit inflates with air, preventing blood from pooling in the legs and abdomen, and keeping it in the chest and head, where it is most needed for the pilot to remain conscious.  When the aircraft levels out, the suit deflates.  My understanding is that the poop suit reduces the physiological effects by approximately 1 G.

Arcata the Ace I-wstCnK3-XL

Next to go on was a pair of Danner boots that I scavenged from a USAF Combat Controller figure.  The boots fit too large for Arcata's female feet, but they still worked passably.  The biggest problem was they made standing quite difficult, since they are many sizes too large.  After that I put on the parachute harness with integrated survival vest.  The last part to go on was the inflatable life preserver.  If you look closely you'll notice the MBU-12/P oxygen mask is attached to a regulator mounted on the survival vest.  I took front and back photos of the completed figure, minus the helmet.

Arcata the Ace I-WwbgtVs-XL

Arcata the Ace I-ZPF6BTp-XL

The next two photos I took were with the HGU-55/P flight helmet on, first with the visor up, and then with the visor down...

Arcata the Ace I-pzQWr88-XL

Arcata the Ace I-Zfs4vCt-XL

And finally, the completed figure with the oxygen mask attached, with both a front and side profile.

Arcata the Ace I-DDBkcgf-XL

Arcata the Ace I-jpDHKqG-XL

That's it for the creation post.  Next up I'll include some photos in poses that I took, so check back shortly if you're not seeing anything in Post#2.

To be continued...

2Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:19 pm

Arcata

Arcata
The first two photos will be overhead shots to show detail of the helmet and torso from the right and left sides...

Arcata the Ace I-FGFjXPH-XL

Arcata the Ace I-xsFTWrp-XL

How could a face this beautiful possibly be overused?  (haha sorry Ian, I couldn't resist Laughing )

Arcata the Ace I-p7378Jp-X2

Arcata the Ace I-SBT4hNz-X2

Arcata the Ace I-dZTqCRx-X2

For the last two shots, I need to give some background:  Dating back to WWII (and possibly even earlier), fighter pilots have loved bragging to their coworkers about dogfights they survived.  A famous pose has developed as a result, which is called, "So there I was..."  (sometimes said as, "and there I was").  The pilot telling the story uses their hands to simulate their aircraft either in pursuit of, or being chased by, an enemy aircraft.  That's the look I was going for in these next two photos...

Arcata the Ace I-vBHrvJM-X2

Arcata the Ace I-vjFQSTL-X2

Sorry, I lied, there's a third...

Arcata the Ace I-L8gCkr2-X2

Thanks for checking out my fighter pilot build.  If you prefer a photo or two over the others, please let me know, I'd be curious to see what worked best, for my future projects.  And I do plan on doing some photos with Arcata in better lighting and with better backgrounds.  I was impatient, and this is as much as I was able to do with a cell phone and poor lighting.

3Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ok, not to be a stick in the mud (which is not my intention), but something bothered me... and then I realized what it was. She is still showing too much skin. More specifically, you forgot the t-shirt. Photos of fighter pilots in uniform (both male and female) seem to consistently show a t-shirt worn under the flight suit, usually army green or white or black. Just one sample photo below.

As for the face, it is undeniably cute, even beautiful. But it is also incredibly placid. In itself, all that is fine, but as a result of the conjunction of those two things, it does not lend itself (in my mind) to the action characters that so many have been putting together with it. Add to this its youthfulness, and when it is shown on an under-dressed figure, there is a creepy vibe (again, to me). So I actually really appreciate you kitting her up in the full flight suit, which removes the latter concern. The "too much skin" comment above, while related when it comes to being a bit tongue-in-cheek, was actually more motivated by completeness/realism of outfit. Anyway, to each his own, I would not have expanded on that absent the comment. Your custom figure has come together beautifully.

Arcata the Ace 190810-F-XXXXX-1001

4Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:39 pm

Chip

Well she is something different , nice to see . I do agree a lot with what Ian said , making those subtle changes I think would improve her further .

5Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Thanks Gents, I appreciate the feedback!  And Ian, that's exactly what I was hoping for, so thank you.  After Dave's gentle ribbing of you regarding the head, I couldn't stop myself from jumping on the dogpile, so I appreciate that you took it in good stride.  Laughing  

The male figure did come with a T-shirt (almost a turtleneck sort of thing), and you're right, pilots are almost always seen in them under the flight suit.  The one in this kit was a bright yellow, which again, is quite authentic.  I just decided to leave it out because I thought the yellow would detract too much from the camo (I think it would look much better with a solid color suit like the one it came with).  But when I get a T-shirt in a color I like, I will absolutely follow your advice.  I agree with you it will add to the realism.  

That's funny (maybe that's the wrong word) about how we all see things differently.  I'm in complete agreement with you regarding too young-looking female faces.  If someone is going for an actual child or teen look, then of course they are great.  But when they are used on what should be an adult character, I also get a slight "creepy vibe" from them.  And I don't mean to be judgmental of anyone who likes that look, I know it's quite popular, it's just not for me.  Why I mention this is that one of the things that most drew me to this head was that I thought it looked attractive, while having a more mature look than most I came across.  Obviously a lot of the faces based on actresses look more mature, but I wanted to avoid a recognizable face.  But now that you mention it, I can see how some would view it as young, although at least to me it still appears post-teen.

6Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:32 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, yellow showing up at the neck line might have looked too distracting. But you will surely come across a suitable t-shirt. Smile

7Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:57 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
She looks great! As Ian said, the addition of a 1/6 scale female t-shirt will work wonders for her over all look!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255206372448?hash=item3b6b7c3460:g:B-sAAOSw9T5hf90E

8Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 am

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed she does look great!

9Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:29 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Nice job, Could also be the pilot of a futuristic landing craft. The yellow shirt might match that yellow accent on the bag well.

I think this one is the best:
Arcata the Ace I-vjFQSTL-X2
Almost looks like a poster, if you add a funny/edgy slogan. Like...."And then... aliens!" Your intention of her telling a story comes across.
I think pilot characters are great for outdoor shots, any open area, or patches of sand, street and fences etc. can be an airfield.

The head used in aviatorial (is it a word?) setting reminded me of one of photogsblogs shootings. I always liked the story telling between footage of planes and character mugshots/talking heads in cockpits giving the planes 'faces', like we have in WW1+2 dogfight movies, Topgun, Star Wars and as you mentioned: Independence Day. That movie was 5 year old me's first introduction to the Navy/Air Force, Hornets etc., haha.
Here photogsblogs thread:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4167-on-a-wing-and-a-prayer-or-if-nuns-had-messerschmidts

On the head itself, well it's none I would buy myself, but she has a wide range for the ethnicity and age one wants to represent.
If you are looking for heads not that recognizable, YMtoys has quite the number of 'unknown' female characters. For male heads, I can only think of facepool expression heads, the others are often based on actors, celebrities etc.

I once was searching for flightsuits and coveralls, collected some links in here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3162-searching-for-coveralls
There is one sand colored suit that fits a female pilot well, I might make some phots soon.

10Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:19 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Thanks for the kind words and feedback, Gents! I ordered a black t shirt today that should be here in a couple weeks. I think that will go good without detracting from the desert camo.

Ovy, I hadn't noticed it until you said something, but I agree, her face could be used for a range of ethnicities. As for the tan flightsuit in your link, I know it would fit her great. It's made by BBi, just like the sage green one I have, and it fits her very well. The tan would be a nice contrast, I just didn't want to go with a green flightsuit under green harness and vest.

I have a couple suntan faces arriving next week, so I should be able to start setting up my S23B body as a PMC/ mercenary type figure soon. Smile

11Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:02 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I really like her!   There’s real world accuracy and then there’s Hollywood accuracy (where fighter pilots look like male and female models), and I find Hollywood accuracy more entertaining.  I have got to get one of those heads.  They’ve been on my radar for a long time now, and this just pushed them to the top of the list.

I do think we should all chip in and get one for Ian.  Basically this look minus the BDUs:

Arcata the Ace 13bf0710

(I’m just funnin’ with you, Ian.  It all comes from a place of genuine appreciation for your principles and admiration of your character.  😉)

12Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:46 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Xavion2004 wrote:I really like her!   There’s real world accuracy and then there’s Hollywood accuracy (where fighter pilots look like male and female models), and I find Hollywood accuracy more entertaining.  I have got to get one of those heads.  They’ve been on my radar for a long time now, and this just pushed them to the top of the list.

I do think we should all chip in and get one for Ian.  Basically this look minus the BDUs:

[url=https://servimg.com/view/20313212/139]

(I’m just funnin’ with you, Ian.  It all comes from a place of genuine appreciation for your principles and admiration of your character.  😉)

Laughing Laughing

Thanks Xavion! I appreciate the kind words, and glad you liked it.

13Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:47 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Actually, I may own this sculpt or something remarkably similar to it. So please don't get me one. I see enough of it as it is. Wink

14Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:45 am

blackpool

blackpool
Very nice pilot!!! She has some Carol Danvers vibe mixed with Kelly Mc Gillis in Top gun (yeah yeah I'm that old lol)

15Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:18 am

Arcata

Arcata
blackpool wrote:Very nice pilot!!! She has some Carol Danvers vibe mixed with Kelly Mc Gillis in Top gun (yeah yeah I'm that old lol)

Thanks Blackpool, I appreciate it! Very Happy

16Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:26 pm

davidd

davidd
I had missed this topic! Excellent figure kitbash!

You gonna build her a plane now? Or at least a cockpit mock-up?

17Arcata the Ace Empty Re: Arcata the Ace Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:34 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Very nicely put together, I like the mix of realistic and hollywood magic.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Arcata the Ace 1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum