OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

S46 issues

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 9:53 am

skywalkersaga

I avoid tape and glue altogether and just use clingfilm wrapped around the neck peg and then held on with small, clear rubber bands.

27S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 12:03 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
ElBundy wrote:@Ephiane: Be careful! When the glue touches the silicone of the neck, it dissolves the material at once. I experienced this when I tried a similar work around.

skywalkersaga wrote:I avoid tape and glue altogether and just use clingfilm wrapped around the neck peg and then held on with small, clear rubber bands.

That is good advice. There are materials that can cause rubber to become sticky and "melt," causing possibly permanent damage. Sky, this may or may not include rubber bands (depending on the exact material they are made of). That's why I prefer using foamies.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

28S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 12:04 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
ElBundy wrote:@Ephiane: Be careful! When the glue touches the silicone of the neck, it dissolves the material at once. I experienced this when I tried a similar work around.

skywalkersaga wrote:I avoid tape and glue altogether and just use clingfilm wrapped around the neck peg and then held on with small, clear rubber bands.

That is good advice. There are materials that can cause rubber to become sticky and "melt," causing possibly permanent damage. Sky, this may or may not include rubber bands (depending on the exact material they are made of). That's why I prefer using foamies -- reversibility apart (commitment issues Smile ).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

29S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 12:31 pm

skywalkersaga

What do you mean materials that cause rubber to melt? I know rubber bands don't have much of a longevity, but they are only touching the metal peg on the tbleague neck (and the inside cavity of the plastic headsculpt). I've had much worse experiences using tape or anything remotely sticky, which *have* melted and ruined a figure before. The reason I don't use foam on the inside of the headsculpts, is that, for me, it didn't really work with the tbleague bodies. The foam slides around way too much on the metal neck peg. So, instead, I decided to cover the metal peg to make it less slippery so the headsculpt will hold a pose better.

My way may or not be the best way to do it, but just explaining why it works for me.

30S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 5:40 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I had the nicest Hasbro classic scale Jabba and throne environment, and something in the interaction between the rotocast (?) body and the plastic of the throne (or something else I might have had on it), made the base part of the body tacky and gooey, like it was slowly melting.  I just don't know all the variables at play. I'm not telling you to use foamies, just that they have not presented any such problem for me. There are different ways of using them on the neck/in the head, not all equally successful or easy. Of the last three heads I did it to, it worked like a charm on the first two (one of them a TBLeague) and not so well on another (also TBLeague, but that was on a petite body with an extra small neck peg).

31S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 6:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh that sucks, I'm sorry. Some older Hasbro figures do have problems because of the type of materials used at the time. I've experienced some action figures even just from about 25 yrs ago sort of 'sweating' (leaking some kind of oil?). I don't know if it was something similar that could have caused it.

And yeah, everyone has their solution that works for them, I think it's great to see how people solve the problem. I just personally haven't had much success with any method other than padding out the actual metal neck peg itself.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

32S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 6:44 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh that sucks, I'm sorry. Some older Hasbro figures do have problems because of the type of materials used at the time. I've experienced some action figures even just from about 25 yrs ago sort of 'sweating' (leaking some kind of oil?). I don't know if it was something similar that could have caused it.

And yeah, everyone has their solution that works for them, I think it's great to see how people solve the problem. I just personally haven't had much success with any method other than padding out the actual metal neck peg itself.  
Just in case it is helpful (although I'd imagine you've tried everything), I'll try to take and upload some photos of several options.

What you describe about the Hasbro figures is exactly it. Must have been some special type of plastic/rubber/whatever.

33S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 8:19 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yeah, I guess it's just the plasticizer that deteriorates sometimes. Sad Reminds me, I need to check my collection of 3.75" figures, haven't looked at them in a while. Now I'm kinda worried what I'll find....

For the 1/6 figures, maybe I'll eventually switch to using fabric or something to coat the metal neck peg, instead of materials that have a chance of melting. I know you are a fan of the foamies, but they just don't work for me. Laughing

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

34S46 issues - Page 2 Empty Re: S46 issues Sat May 28, 2022 7:11 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Sarahdactyl wrote:Damn.

What a BAD BUY. I kind of hate the newest TBL bodies, the S46/S47.

When I saw "tall, with a smaller bust" I was interested, as I thought it could serve as a nice replacement for the S18 my mini me is currently using.

I received mine last week, then tonight I went to replace the S18, and it lookef freakish. They have a bad case of giraffe neck, and as a result the heads don't sit correctly.

My mini me is a kimi toys head, but TBL heads don't look much better on this body.

They have also changed the tone for pale, I would say it is actually more pale, which I like, but presents a new challenge for tone matching sculpt.

More pale? What I've found through recent purchases is that TBL bodies, whether pale or suntan, now have a more pinkish coloration than before and that older pale head sculpts are now overly pale on these bodies. I have not bought a S46 or 47 figure, and thanks to your review, I'm sure I won't.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum