OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

S46 issues

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1S46 issues Empty S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 4:24 am

Sarahdactyl

Sarahdactyl
Damn.

What a BAD BUY. I kind of hate the newest TBL bodies, the S46/S47.

When I saw "tall, with a smaller bust" I was interested, as I thought it could serve as a nice replacement for the S18 my mini me is currently using.

I received mine last week, then tonight I went to replace the S18, and it lookef freakish. They have a bad case of giraffe neck, and as a result the heads don't sit correctly.

My mini me is a kimi toys head, but TBL heads don't look much better on this body.

They have also changed the tone for pale, I would say it is actually more pale, which I like, but presents a new challenge for tone matching sculpt.

2S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 5:51 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Sorry for your frustrations. Can you adjust the way the neck sits by removing some of the inner connectors inside the headsculpts? I always have to adjust my headsculpts a bit, and I usually remove the connectors inside because they don't allow for as precise adjustment.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

3S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 7:57 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
I´m sorry that for, Sarah. Maybe You can show some pictures ? So we can better help You. I have some TBL Bodys i can´t use, because of a Head / Body skintone missmatch. So i know Projects that don´t work are really *beep*. Rolling Eyes

4S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 8:51 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Oh, that's really unfortunate. I know this type of frustration. S46 issues 1f62b

When the saintess body was first released, I actually liked the longer neck, because its tapered shape works with some heads I had always trouble to find a suitable body for (mostly HT Wasp/Evangeline Lily). Of course, the long neck will be a big problem with all heads with a low sitting head adapter. As Sky suggested, you would need to remove the adapter on those heads and potentially also dremel a deeper hole, if necessary. I've done this on almost all my HT heads now, as HotToys still glues in all head adapters. If I remember correctly, Kimi Toys sometimes glued in the adapters, but you may remove them relatively easily by pulling strongly with pliers. What Kimi toys head were you going to use?

5S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 12:42 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
My first S47B (suntan -- sorry, I have barely ever found any use for the pale versions, but the physical shape and size are the same) was the Saintess Knight body. I picked it up parted out together with the head that came from that set. While they matched color-wise (as one should hope), it struck me that the head meant to go on this body ended up sitting too high and having a giraffe neck effect. I haven't tackled that specific head yet, but when I put the new SDH025 heads on the body, I ended up removing the inside neck connector (luckily those were super easy to remove), and replacing them with a little length of foamie to make the connection between head and neck peg snug. And that could be adjusted as needed, to make the head sit as appropriate (depending on the clothing, it might be desirable that it sits higher or lower in different instances).

6S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 1:33 pm

Sarahdactyl

Sarahdactyl
I will share some pictures. I did see what it would look like without the inner adapter, and it's not much better.

With over 25 years totalling with onesixth and dolls, I'm usually not opposed to modifying things to suit Even as a child Barbie would get hair cuts, Jeeps would get cargo and components added by the way of zipties, Action Man or Joe would get Camo face with crayons.

But for some reason when it comes to TBL and these basically glorified Barbie faces that we are paying what we used to pay for an entire Cool Girl/Cy Girl. I refuse to dremel. TBL knows the name of the game. They are THE manufacturer of female bodies, they should be doing proper QAQC with their product and making people aware of thr changes.

As for as the skin tone goes. Don't get me wrong, the nice new pale skin is cute. But now I wonder, has the "suntan" also gotten lighter? This is yet another gripe I have. Why are these companies so adverse to making black figures? It's ridiculous. I have a handful of black male sculpts, two that could be considered mixed race, and one that could be considered Hispanic. I have one black female head, and no body for her.

I really should not complain but man I get mad with this.

7S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 1:39 pm

Sarahdactyl

Sarahdactyl
Excuse the doll boobs. If there are rules against this I'm not aware of I'll edit.

The red undies is the new S46, which is arguably a beautiful body. Aside from its lack of use and larger feet. I guess because it's a larger female body to represent a taller female, the feet are bigger. But I'm willing to bet if we checked she's bigger than a women's 10 US...😒

I hope the bigger feet is this body type and not a sign of whats to come going forward.

NSFW (doll nudity):

I have a second KT head like this. I'll put them both with heads later and share a pic.

8S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Ah, i see. I have to correct this on every single figure i use. Btw.: Very lovely Girls so far, can not wait to see them finish.

S46 issues 00435
S46 issues 00526

S46 issues 00130
S46 issues 00236
S46 issues 00327

9S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 4:08 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane is the Queen of customization when it comes to these. Personally, I wouldn't bother with glue and actual inside neck connectors, foamies make it so easy, if a little less secure.

There are rules about nudity, for which see the link below. You could have placed the arms/hands in a way to obscure the "offending parts" (as you did in one case), or cropped the photos, or placed digital censorship stickers/bars.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6-forum-policies-and-info-continuously-updated

There are tutorials on coloring these bodies, my favorite option being the oil pastel method discovered by Ephiane. Skip ahead to post 16 in the link below and go from there. You'll find some examples of African bodies. And others too. Also in the additional links.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t260-painting-seamless-bodies-nsfw#4572

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4922-yet-another-tbleague-body-pale-repaint-experiment-updated-with-part-ii-2-0

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5484-star-wars-spoof-banned-tv-advertisement-from-the-80s-nsfw

While none of this excuses TBLeague from providing better fitting heads and more variety in body color, there are some relatively simple fixes.

10S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 6:36 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I don’t often change my heads from one body to another, so once I get the body I want, I’m not too concerned about having to modify the head to get it to fit how I want it. Ephi’s technique is sound. Another that I’ve done, if the head sits too high, is too take a Dremel and a “rotary carving bit” to drill into that cup that Ephi has in her photos, it doesn’t take much, and once the head is on the body it’s fine.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

S46 issues C8485110

11S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 6:53 pm

Sarahdactyl

Sarahdactyl
Ephiane wrote:Ah, i see. I have to correct this on every single figure i use. Btw.: Very lovely Girls so far, can not wait to see them finish.

Thanks! Yeah they're mini me of my friend and I. Mine is going back to the S18, this new body was just a waste of money, at least that's how it is feeling right about now.

S46 issues Img_2010

I need to create a headband for the doll. I also have yet to wear Doctor Martens with the pinafore as I feel it's a big extra for real life.😄

I may find a nice head for this doll, but for now it's a shelf warmer.

GubernatorFan wrote:
There are rules about nudity, for which see the link below. You could have placed the arms/hands in a way to obscure the "offending parts" (as you did in one case), or cropped the photos, or placed digital censorship stickers/bars.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6-forum-policies-and-info-continuously-updated

There are tutorials on coloring these bodies, my favorite option being the oil pastel method discovered by Ephiane. Skip ahead to post 16 in the link below and go from there. You'll find some examples of African bodies. And others too. Also in the additional links.

Sorry about the doll nudes. In future I'll pose appropriately or alter the photo. I will be sure to block out male nipples as well. Because, I like gender equity. 😄

As for colouring, thank you for the links. Perhaps if I had an ambitious project that required staining, but I think at present I'm going to just sit here and get steamed up and make complaints in my comments until TBL and other Asian manufacturers want to accept that non white people do exist.😆

Stryker2011 wrote:I don’t often change my heads from one body to another, so once I get the body I want, I’m not too concerned about having to modify the head to get it to fit how I want it. Ephi’s technique is sound. Another that I’ve done, if the head sits too high, is too take a Dremel and a “rotary carving bit” to drill into that cup that Ephi has in her photos, it doesn’t take much, and once the head is on the body it’s fine.

I will probably stick with the S18. Most of my characters are make believe, because I don't have many friends in real life.😆 So for those I can change bodies, make them taller, smaller, thinner, etc. But for these based on real people, myself, friends and family I do have to sometimes settle. For example, my friend Chris his hair is a touch longer, my friend Zoe, the small one with bangs, is pale and has actually brown hair, where as she's on a S25B with black hair as that sculpt was tan.
Then there is my brothers doll being without the tattoos.. I've got no patience to make full sleeves for a doll right now!😆

12S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Mon May 09, 2022 9:35 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Sarahdactyl wrote:But for some reason when it comes to TBL and these basically glorified Barbie faces that we are paying what we used to pay for an entire Cool Girl/Cy Girl. I refuse to dremel. TBL knows the name of the game. They are THE manufacturer of female bodies, they should be doing proper QAQC with their product and making people aware of thr changes.

There have been times since I got back into 1/6 last year that I feel like commissioning a bumper sticker that says “The more modern 1/6 figures I buy, the more I miss my CyGirls.” I know it was 20 years ago, but even then, they seemed like a fantastic value.

I also feel like TBL doesn’t really get it at times. If I was TBL and saw that third party companies are STILL designing clothing primarily for S10D - S23B, and I’m almost on S50, I’d really start questioning what I’ve been doing the last several years, especially since I’m still only offering the same two skin tones.

13S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Thu May 12, 2022 8:01 pm

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Sarahdactyl wrote:Excuse the doll boobs. If there are rules against this I'm not aware of I'll edit.

The red undies is the new S46, which is arguably a beautiful body. Aside from its lack of use and larger feet. I guess because it's a larger female body to represent a taller female, the feet are bigger. But I'm willing to bet if we checked she's bigger than a women's 10 US...😒

I hope the bigger feet is this body type and not a sign of whats to come going forward.

NSFW (doll nudity):

I have a second KT head like this. I'll put them both with heads later and share a pic.

I'm a little puzzled about the giraffe neck issue. I have now tested two KIMI toys heads on the Aset/Saintess Knight bodies (which correspond to S46/47). While the head adapter sits quite tight on the neck pin, I was able to push the heads to an appropriate position without any problems. Here are pics of the two heads I tested (the first is the brunette version of the head that you are using for your Mini-me). Both heads are unmodified.

S46 issues 52069399491_1b64c9506f_kCJ3A4954 by Randam Hajile, auf Flickr

S46 issues 52068360742_3729ec52ae_kCJ3A4959 by Randam Hajile, auf Flickr

Maybe you want to give the the S47 another try. I cannot believe that the bodies I own are any different from the one you got. Of course, KIMI Toys might have used smaller internal head adapters on some series -- which you could easily fix. I hope this helps a little.

14S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 pm

gooboo

Yeah some heads look great on the s46 and others (usually older ones) have really long necks with the s46/s47.

15S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Thu May 12, 2022 10:11 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Those are KIMI heads, Ralf. I'm glad they work right off the bat. The ones I had issues with were HT and, strangely enough, TBLeague! But the fix is easy enough. At any rate, there may be all sorts of variables at play.

16S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 3:57 am

ElBundy

ElBundy
The neck of this body is really long. The non-fitting connector of the body and the mismatching skin colour of the head sculpt are some of the main 'technical' problems of 1/6 figures. As I posted in a former thread I found a very easy solution: Remove the head adapter and use self-adhesive felt-tape. Very easy to apply and to remove.

S46 issues 51412935148_1fd22f46d01 S46 issues 51412935198_205013b3a32

S46 issues 51411925492_4b21f009b23 S46 issues 51413425254_86557ba4184

17S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 4:13 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father

18S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 6:11 am

csyeung

csyeung
Haha, love the picture tutorial, Elbundy!

19S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 6:46 am

blackpool

blackpool
Awesome tutorials everyone, that's really one cool community we have here.

Sorry to hear about your mini-me neck troubles @sarahdactyl, your figure is utterly cute nonetheless (the clothes are awesome)
That neck issue is such a persistent problem throughout the years, I wouldn't only blame TBLeague but all manufacturers or close, from necks to ankle or wrists, there's never been a "normalized/standardized" version of any of the joints... which is very frustrating. All those companies copying each other but pretending to be original by designing their own pegs and joints... sigh!

20S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 7:09 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Totally agree, blackpool. There isn't a standard neck-to-head fit on any 1/6 scale figures, it's always something that needs at least slight tweaking, unless you are literally using the exact head that was supposed to go with that body (and even then it's not always a guarantee!). The upgraded PopToys Xing, for instance, had a longer neck than the previous version (which had a too-short neck), but then it ended up with the opposite problem -- instead of an ugly gap between the head and the neck, sometimes the neck was too long. I still sometimes have to come up with solutions for that one, depending on which head I'm using with it.

21S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 8:34 am

ElBundy

ElBundy
@Ephiane: Be careful! When the glue touches the silicone of the neck, it dissolves the material at once. I experienced this when I tried a similar work around.

22S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 9:53 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I avoid tape and glue altogether and just use clingfilm wrapped around the neck peg and then held on with small, clear rubber bands.

23S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 12:03 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ElBundy wrote:@Ephiane: Be careful! When the glue touches the silicone of the neck, it dissolves the material at once. I experienced this when I tried a similar work around.

skywalkersaga wrote:I avoid tape and glue altogether and just use clingfilm wrapped around the neck peg and then held on with small, clear rubber bands.

That is good advice. There are materials that can cause rubber to become sticky and "melt," causing possibly permanent damage. Sky, this may or may not include rubber bands (depending on the exact material they are made of). That's why I prefer using foamies.

24S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 12:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ElBundy wrote:@Ephiane: Be careful! When the glue touches the silicone of the neck, it dissolves the material at once. I experienced this when I tried a similar work around.

skywalkersaga wrote:I avoid tape and glue altogether and just use clingfilm wrapped around the neck peg and then held on with small, clear rubber bands.

That is good advice. There are materials that can cause rubber to become sticky and "melt," causing possibly permanent damage. Sky, this may or may not include rubber bands (depending on the exact material they are made of). That's why I prefer using foamies -- reversibility apart (commitment issues Smile ).

25S46 issues Empty Re: S46 issues Fri May 13, 2022 12:31 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What do you mean materials that cause rubber to melt? I know rubber bands don't have much of a longevity, but they are only touching the metal peg on the tbleague neck (and the inside cavity of the plastic headsculpt). I've had much worse experiences using tape or anything remotely sticky, which *have* melted and ruined a figure before. The reason I don't use foam on the inside of the headsculpts, is that, for me, it didn't really work with the tbleague bodies. The foam slides around way too much on the metal neck peg. So, instead, I decided to cover the metal peg to make it less slippery so the headsculpt will hold a pose better.

My way may or not be the best way to do it, but just explaining why it works for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum