OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Stryker2012

Founding Father
How do the lightsabers work? Is it USB?

Zes

Stryker2012 wrote:How do the lightsabers work? Is it USB?
Yep. It comes with one regular Vader hilt and one USB-powered. Reva's lightsabers are regular ones.

skywalkersaga

Zes wrote:That's very nice of you. The battle-damaged helmet and chestbox are arguably the most sought-after pieces in this set.

I'm kinda curious why you're getting rid of them. My Standard Edition OWK DV arrived a few days ago, and I'm eager to get him unboxed this weekend.

Yes, I realise that it's kind of a 'wtf, why would you get rid of those?' from most other collectors' perspectives.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f605

However, despite being a big fan of Hayden as Anakin, I'm very anti-Disney SW when it comes to their version of the 'storyline', and I'm just... not on board with the concept of the OWK tv series. I dislike how overtly retconned it is (no, Obi-Wan and Vader don't have interactions between RotS and ANH, I'm sorry that's just a big fat NOPE for me). There are rectons that I can live with, but that is not something I'd ever accept as canon and therefore don't want anything from the show in my collection. Also, as a lifelong fan of the Lucas saga, I have very little interest in non-Lucas depictions of Vader stomping around being villainous during the Dark Times. My interest in the character begins and ends specifically in 'the barest flicker of persistent light' that remains in him at all times, even when he is seemingly totally on the Dark Side.

What? A Vader fan who thinks media that dwells on his villain era is boring? Yes, we exist. Laughing You see, when I was a child, my very first introduction to Star Wars was when I walked in on my dad watching the end of RotJ, the moment when Luke removes Vader's mask. That was the first scene from SW I ever watched, and it is forever ingrained in my psyche. I was immediately drawn to the pitiful, maimed creature beneath that mask. 'Vader' has therefore NEVER been some 'scary evil villain' to me.... he's always been ANAKIN.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f49c

The focus of my SW collection is Anakin Skywalker and only includes 'Darth Vader' insofar as when he is showing glimpses of his True Self, not... well, the opposite of that. Razz

Sure, the Hayden sculpt on the battle-damaged helmet looks great and I'm happy for Hayden's sake he got to reprise the role, but I don't consider this version of Vader canon at all. *MY* unmasked Vader is a pathetic, sad, pitiful creature.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f605

tl;dr I'm not a fan of the OWK series and I plan to use this Vader body and LED accessories to make my own preferred version of a 'broken Vader helmet' that depicts him in a way that feels more in-character to me.  Smile

Zes

skywalkersaga wrote:Yes, I realise that it's kind of a 'wtf, why would you get rid of those?' from most other collectors' perspectives.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f605

However, despite being a big fan of Hayden as Anakin, I'm very anti-Disney SW when it comes to their version of the 'storyline', and I'm just... not on board with the concept of the OWK tv series. I dislike how overtly retconned it is (no, Obi-Wan and Vader don't have interactions between RotS and ANH, I'm sorry that's just a big fat NOPE for me). There are rectons that I can live with, but that is not something I'd ever accept as canon and therefore don't want anything from the show in my collection. Also, as a lifelong fan of the Lucas saga, I have very little interest in non-Lucas depictions of Vader stomping around being villainous during the Dark Times. My interest in the character begins and ends specifically in 'the barest flicker of persistent light' that remains in him at all times, even when he is seemingly totally on the Dark Side.

What? A Vader fan who thinks media that dwells on his villain era is boring? Yes, we exist. Laughing You see, when I was a child, my very first introduction to Star Wars was when I walked in on my dad watching the end of RotJ, the moment when Luke removes Vader's mask. That was the first scene from SW I ever watched, and it is forever ingrained in my psyche. I was immediately drawn to the pitiful, maimed creature beneath that mask. 'Vader' has therefore NEVER been some 'scary evil villain' to me.... he's always been ANAKIN.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f49c

The focus of my SW collection is Anakin Skywalker and only includes 'Darth Vader' insofar as when he is showing glimpses of his True Self, not... well, the opposite of that. Razz

Sure, the Hayden sculpt on the battle-damaged helmet looks great and I'm happy for Hayden's sake he got to reprise the role, but I don't consider this version of Vader canon at all. *MY* unmasked Vader is a pathetic, sad, pitiful creature.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f605

tl;dr I'm not a fan of the OWK series and I plan to use this Vader body and LED accessories to make my own preferred version of a 'broken Vader helmet' that depicts him in a way that feels more in-character to me.  Smile

Yeah, I can relate to both the anti-Disney sentiment and the dislike for the OWK series. I only picked up this Vader because I wanted a Hayden Vader and Hot Toys never bothered to release Ep. III Vader (my favorite Vader suit).

Disney tried to cash in on Ewan and Hayden returning to the series but hired such garbage writers that the series left a bad taste in the majority of Star Wars fan's mouths. But that's par for the course for Disney Star Wars. They ruin everything they touch when it comes to SW, for example, Boba Fett. Imagine Disney Boba Fett acting like this:

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 0c8582a9c46a11f3cd5e2fed4562ce0c

Though I do like Vader's villain portrayal. It shows how he became so feared by the events of the original trilogy.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Even that version of Fett in that gif didn't exist originally. It's such a bummer to all us "Old Timers" that we can't get the uncut, original trilogy on blu-ray or 4K. All they'd have to do is what they did with the original Star Trek series (clean-up and enhance the existing special effects), and not alter everything so completely like Lucas did (and now are the only ways to watch those movies unless one has the DVDs that have both the original versions & the so-called "Special Editions" -- which aren't that special at all). F#&k Lucas, and f#&k Disney!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f10

Visisonor

Visisonor
Yeah, Kenobi series is written like a bad fanfic. The "rematch" between Obi-Wan and Vader was not narratively needed in the first place, because it happened in ANH. And I agree with Sky that ANH dialogue implies the two of them didn't cross paths in-between.

I feel somewhat similarly about Anakin having a padawan, though this was a Lucas-era retcon.

Stryker, have you heard of 4k77 project and other de-specialized editions (https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com)?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Visisonor wrote:Yeah, Kenobi series is written like a bad fanfic. The "rematch" between Obi-Wan and Vader was not narratively needed in the first place, because it happened in ANH. And I agree with Sky that ANH dialogue implies the two of them didn't cross paths in-between.

I feel somewhat similarly about Anakin having a padawan, though this was a Lucas-era retcon.

Stryker, have you heard of 4k77 project and other de-specialized editions (https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com)?
I agree. And I finally bit the bullet and worked my way through the 4k77 project and got the slightly cleaned up but unspecialized movies in as original a format as I wanted. I know they are just movies, have many flaws, and should matter little in the grand scheme of things (except making or costing money), but they brought tears of joy to my eyes. Luckily no one saw.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
How did you download the OT 4K77 project?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 1f10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Zes - ah, someone else who appreciates the Ep III Vader suit! I do wish they'd do that one, but alas, seems unlikely.

My planned custom version will still be a Hayden-Vader, but one that is just a bit more to my liking. ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Hey, Sky,

What about this version of both Anakin and Padme’ (Alt Universe versions):

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI™ DARTH VADER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE (Standard & Deluxe) - Page 2 Img_6210

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:Hey, Sky,

What about this version of both Anakin and Padme’ (Alt Universe versions):
I can't answer for Sky, but I'd imagine this image begs several questions, not least whether Anakin would have ended up with a split helmet, and whether Anakin would have ended up as Vader at all. Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Cool figures, Stryker!!!

When Padme’s involved, I prefer Happy Alternative universe where Anakin doesn’t turn to the Dark Side. (I sort of only like the idea of ‘Lord and Lady Vader’ as a campy, un-serious concept, if that makes sense. )

Ovy

Ovy
I think both look rather happy on the Dark Side, too.

And wearing black capes doesn't have to be read as evil. Maybe Anakin got hurt killing the Emperor so he has to wear the suit, and the rest is just contemporary fashion mourning the victims of the Clone Wars.

Zes

Zes
skywalkersaga wrote:Zes - ah, someone else who appreciates the Ep III Vader suit! I do wish they'd do that one, but alas, seems unlikely.

My planned custom version will still be a Hayden-Vader, but one that is just a bit more to my liking. ;p

Oh? Looking forward to seeing that!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Update:

All the extras I posted above are now spoken for, other than the art box. Still willing to part with that, but I'm guessing it would only be practical to send it to someone in the UK, so I'll happily wait til someone on this side of the Pond wants it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum