OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guess who! updated with Part Deux

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:26 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
davidd wrote:It's almost certainly not James Holzhauer, long-running champion on the TV game show Jeopardy and currently one of the Trivia Masters on the TV game show The Chase.

But... it could be.
Nope, but thanks for playing (you can play again!) Smile This one did his most famous role in the mid-90s, although he is still in the business.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

27Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:11 am

BAMComix

Nice paint prep and build up coats Ian! An interesting approach using black as a base coat. I have to say, it does bring out the darker tones well. Do you use shade ink as well?

28Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:37 am

Valiarde

This one has a more neutral expression which could be a nice variation on the same character for story purposes.
Thank you for the step by step pics as always - always interesting and helpful Smile

29Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Nice paint prep and build up coats Ian! An interesting approach using black as a base coat. I have to say, it does bring out the darker tones well. Do you use shade ink as well?
Thank you very much, Dal. The approach is one we've discussed with Mark (Stryker) a number of times -- progressing from very dark to lighter layers. I don't know if I have mastered it, but in principle it makes unnecessary most additional shading, as the layers are ever so slightly translucent and you get some depth showing through as the light hits from different angles. The point was to make it match TBLeague's (male) suntan, and I think it does. I mixed the Vallejo black primer with a little brown to keep it from being straight black, for the lowest layer. There are a couple of thin suntan mix layers on top, and then a final one on top of them, mixed in with Liquitex ultra matte medium. What exactly is shade ink -- like a wash?

Valiarde wrote:This one has a more neutral expression which could be a nice variation on the same character for story purposes.
Thank you for the step by step pics as always - always interesting and helpful Smile
Thank you very much, Simon. I'm glad if it was useful. I think my thinnest brush was acting up a bit (time for a new one), because I would have liked the fine lines to be finer, but in hand he looks pretty decent. I do like neutral expressions precisely so they lend themselves more easily to most things, even if they might be too neutral for some very specific ones.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

30Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:00 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote: What exactly is shade ink -- like a wash?

Yes they are indeed called wash, I use them quite a lot, I just couldn't think what they were called Smile . Personally, I start from a white base, but we are all different in out approaches, and you defiantly have the hang of this technique. I can definitely see the the advantages of the method you described, using dark base and then thin colour mixes building up to the final coat. It produces really nice finishes bounce .

31Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:10 am

Ovy

Ovy
No idea really, he changes every second like those unspecified dam toys headsculpts. With the black primer he looked like Captain Kirk.

I'tone down the lips a bit and add more blue to them maybe. And I'd tone down the eyes, especially the edges, to reduce the stark contrast to the skin. Some heavily thinned black/grey and dark red could work

32Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:58 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote: What exactly is shade ink -- like a wash?

Yes they are indeed called wash, I use them quite a lot, I just couldn't think what they were called Smile . Personally,  I start from a white base, but we are all different in out approaches, and you defiantly have the hang of this technique.  I can definitely see the the advantages of the method you described, using dark base and then thin colour mixes building up to the final coat. It produces really nice finishes bounce .
Thanks for explaining. To be honest, washes have worked indifferently in my earlier experiments (especially on delicate areas like heads), and I feel a little more confident with this technique.

Ovy wrote:No idea really, he changes every second like those unspecified dam toys headsculpts. With the black primer he looked like Captain Kirk.

I'tone down the lips a bit and add more blue to them maybe. And I'd tone down the eyes, especially the edges, to reduce the stark contrast to the skin. Some heavily thinned black/grey and dark red could work
I can see why you would think the primer stage looked like Captain Kirk. I can see a bit of Paul Rudd there, too, but it's not him either. Perhaps he's fallen out of people's memory since the 90s. I really don't want to mess with the eyes (you mean the whites, right?), and I mixed in some browns and ivory, but apparently it is still stark. Might still follow the suggestion, for which I thank you. Lip color is beyond me, obviously. Of course, I was working from a reference photo that none of you have before you... but then the guessing would be obviated, wouldn't it? Smile

33Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:09 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Oh and I have no clue, but he does look a bit like Elvis (but I think the lip volume is different) so probably not Razz

34Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:22 am

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
I have no idea of who is it but I found he looks a bit sexy because of that glowie cherish pink lips What a Face
Anyway if you put him on a M35 body I just wildly guess he is Arnold....but not with Terminator style, more like True Lies or Twins comedies....

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

35Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:06 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
It looks pretty much like Dean Cain from the "Lois and Clark"-show back in the nineties... Possibly I'm wrong, but I would love to see 1/6-figures of him and Teri Hatcher. Smile

36Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:07 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Paul Rudd?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 C8485110

37Guess who! updated with Part Deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:Oh and I have no clue, but he does look a bit like Elvis (but I think the lip volume is different) so probably not Razz
I can see how that would be a possible interpretation.

lawlaw91 wrote:I have no idea of who is it but I found he looks a bit sexy because of that glowie cherish pink lips What a Face
Anyway if you put him on a M35 body I just wildly guess he is Arnold....but not with Terminator style, more like True Lies or Twins comedies....
That sounds crazy at first, but you know what, I can see it. Smile I am cursed with trying to approximate lip color. In my reference photo, it is quite warm red/amaranth, and I was trying to tone it down, so I guess it ended up looking pink.

Stryker2011 wrote:Paul Rudd?
Nope, although I agree that's what he looks like especially in "dark chocolate" mode.

Randam Hajile wrote:It looks pretty much like Dean Cain from the "Lois and Clark"-show back in the nineties... Possibly I'm wrong, but I would love to see 1/6-figures of him and Teri Hatcher. Smile
Ding ding ding ding... We've got a winner! That's exactly who it is supposed to be. Apparently I have to work on the lips and eyes. And I have since realized I missed a mole (my reference photo had scruff that hid it). Smile I also wish we had a Teri Hatcher head sculpt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum