OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Empty House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:33 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part I: Gopnica (pronounced: gopnitsa)

For Part II, see here.

For Part III, see here.

Blame Valiarde... he wanted to know! Smile

Boris Semënovič woke in a panic. While his eyes adjusted to the grey light of the new day, and his skin became suddenly aware of the crisp air outside the covers, it took him a short while to realize the reason for his alarm. And then it struck him... his precious Adidas track suit had disappeared! His mind subconsciously racing with Hardbass, Boris leaped (actually stumbled) out of bed and into the dim hallway, subconsciously reaching for the closest bottle of beer on his way. Even still not completely awake (or was it still hung over?), he immediately realized who was the culprit.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic10

Why, it was Nataša, who had decided it would be cute to put on his clothes as she stepped out for a moment, only to return with a muted mysterious smile on her face.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic11

Despite her presumption in wearing his clothes -- even if seeing her covered from head to toes with oversized Adidas made her irresistible in his dilating eyes -- her gesture was instantly revealed to be one of infinite sweetness... she had gone out to pick up a fresh bottle of Stoličnaja.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic12

Best girlfriend ever! Even if she made the Vodka play hard to get. Perhaps she was just trying to get Boris' attention, but a man has got to have priorities.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic13

Not to worry, after some more quality time in the hallway and the kitchen, the young lovers took a break from liquid nutrition to cook up something else in the bedroom.

For Part II, see here.

For Part III, see here.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Well this started with a real banger:
His precious Adidas track suit had disappeared! lol!  

Life suddenly became meaningless. I can feel the shock. It is kinda like you awake at night and don't remember where you put that cool 1/6 cape you bought a year ago...

Vodka play hard to get Laughing  This girlfriend is something else eh. He needs to fight for everything. But i guess in the bed room they are all equal - without any precious track suits or anything else on Razz

Pics are great in combination with your fun little story! I think she looks quiet cute in that suit and you captured a typical couple quiet well with a bit of exaggerated humour. drunken

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:Well this started with a real banger:
His precious Adidas track suit had disappeared! lol!  

Life suddenly became meaningless. I can feel the shock. It is kinda like you awake at night and don't remember where you put that cool 1/6 cape you bought a year ago...

Vodka play hard to get Laughing  This girlfriend is something else eh. He needs to fight for everything. But i guess in the bed room they are all equal - without any precious track suits or anything else on   Razz

Pics are great in combination with your fun little story! I think she looks quiet cute in that suit and you captured a typical couple quiet well with a bit of exaggerated humour. drunken

Uh-oh... now I have to see if there is any reasonably decent footage of what transpired in the bedroom. Wink Truth be told, I have no idea what a typical gopnik couple is like, besides the memes, photos, and Boris videos on YouTube -- just interpolating from that, though I suspect, making it seem more civilized than it is. Smile But waking up startled about forgetting where you put something 1/6 scale? Oh yes, I've been there.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part II: the Awakening

Following their liquid breakfast, Boris and Nataša did not emerge from the bedroom for a few hours. Nor did they make much of a sound, apart from quite a ruckus, a suspicious clang of metal, and some hysterical laughing in the first few minutes. Disturbed by the noise followed by silence, devoted family pet Vovek Milojkovič first decided that discretion is the better part of valor and gave the bedroom a wide berth. But eventually, goaded by the equally distressing pangs of hunger and curiosity, he just had to go in and investigate. By the time he dared enter, the room was flooded by the warm but tentative light of the afternoon sun. Cautious and brave in equal measure, the cat quickly got his bearings, navigated among the maze of obstacles on the floor and, having identified a disturbing new posture assumed by the bed, he scaled it intrepidly to demand an explanation from the recumbent humans on top. His step was light enough to almost pass unnoticed, but having been patient for hours, he announced his demands for attention and food in no uncertain terms, his meowing ringing through the room.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic14

Maternal instincts awakened, Nataša Fëdorovna woke quickly, instantly spotting the insistent bundle of fur staring at her face and helplessly smiling in response to its apparent greeting. Boris Semënovič, on the other hand, took his time, his consciousness savoring both his sleep and the lingering taste of beer, while his lips quietly growled a pedestrian and rather innocuous curse seasoned, invariably, with bljat. Vovek seemingly took the hint and retreated down the mattress, but only for a moment, before returning with renewed insistence and heart-breaking intonation.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic16

There was no helping it. Vovek insisted on being fed, Nataša insisted on feeding the cat, while Boris vainly struggled to keep her in bed. She was finally allowed to go, after pointing out that she should get more Vodka. How could anyone keep her from so noble a quest!? She quickly put on some clothes -- it took a moment to find her own, and she still had to borrow one of Boris' sailor tank tops -- and fetched a saucer of milk for Vovek Milojkovič. Unwilling to leave the bed, Boris was equally determined to demonstrate that he was perfectly capable of feeding the cat, without even leaving his warm mattress. Vovek guided his thoughts, by investigating the beer bottle in his human's hand with great determination. Naturally, caught in a generous mood despite the rude awakening in the middle of the afternoon, Boris perceived the cat's hint and proceeded to offer him the same liquid breakfast he himself had enjoyed earlier. After all, what's good enough for a gopnik ought to be good enough for a cat! Apparently not, as a returned Nataša gently scolded him with the patience of a kindergarten teacher.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic17

Still too sleepy and hung over for a fight, Boris acquiesced, retrieved his beer, and offered the cat the milk instead. Unlike a kindergarten student, he had learned his lesson instantly and secured a snuggle and smooch from his gopnica. For a moment, he thought he could talk her back into the warmth and comfort of the bed.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic18

But it was not to be. Eager to get out for a breath of fresh air after wasting the day in bed, Nataša insisted they take a walk in the sun. Boris took some convincing, as he was secretly fretting that he had missed the most appropriate time for squatting around with his mates and regaling them with the exploits of last night, or rather last morning, exploits he did not remember, but could plausibly infer from the broken state of his bed. In the end, he got dressed, and accompanied his girlfriend into the street and around the corner. Just in time to catch the last faint rays of the winter sun. A day well spent, for a gopnik, after all.

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic19

For Part III, see here.

davidd

davidd
Amusingly and impressively disheveled room!

(And then I got distracted reading about post-Stalinist 'brutalist' architecture and "commieblocks".)

valentin

valentin
I will be darned.... it's so wizard! LOL, in a sense, they achieved something I couldn't do.

They managed to un"screw" the metal bed posts from the horizontal supports via synchro. motion without tools.

Still, loving the props within the bedroom, and its set-up.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:Amusingly and impressively disheveled room!

(And then I got distracted reading about post-Stalinist 'brutalist' architecture and "commieblocks".)

Thank you very much, it is precisely what I was going for. I also looked through a bit of that when researching this, but unfortunately they were usually a bit short on the type of photos that could have served as suitable backdrops for my purposes.

valentin wrote:I will be darned.... it's so wizard! LOL, in a sense, they achieved something I couldn't do.

They managed to un"screw" the metal bed posts from the horizontal supports via synchro. motion without tools.

Still, loving the props within the bedroom, and its set-up.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Well, gopniks work hard and play hard. Or so I'm told (actually, I'm told they hardly work at all). Smile This actually happened to a friend of mine and his now wife... though neither was a gopnik. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Funny story. It appears these two have a serious drinking problem. They might want to go to rehab and start AA meetings.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Funny story. It appears these two have a serious drinking problem. They might want to go to rehab and start AA meetings.

Thank you very much, Mark, glad you found it funny. But now you have a serious problem. Boris and Natasha are very curious to know where they can find this AA (I must warn you, they think it stands for American Alcohol). Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Alcoholics Anonymous is a support group for people with drug and/or alcohol addiction. Surprised you haven’t heard of it living in California — especially around the LA/Hollywood area.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) C8485110

ukshaun

ukshaun
House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Gopnic14

That shot/scene works really well. Congrats!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

Valiarde

Valiarde
Agree that shot is excellent! Smile

I always spend money on figures or costume parts, but i could do so much more with room parts and little details.
Super cool story glad you are on a flow of ideas here

@Stryker: i bet GF knows what AA is, he was just joking what the Gopniks think it stands for Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:That shot/scene works really well. Congrats!

Thank you very much, Shaun, very happy you liked it. It is just from my head, but knowing your attention to detail when recreating frames from films, it comes as a great compliment.

Stryker2011 wrote:Alcoholics Anonymous is a support group for people with drug and/or alcohol addiction. Surprised you haven’t heard of it living in California — especially around the LA/Hollywood area.

Valiarde wrote:Agree that shot is excellent! Smile

I always spend money on figures or costume parts, but i could do so much more with room parts and little details. Super cool story glad you are on a flow of ideas here

@Stryker: i bet GF knows what AA is, he was just joking what the Gopniks think it stands for Wink

LOL. Yes, I know what AA is, but in my long experience of Gopniks (thanks, Ovy!), I have learned that one never argues with a Gopnik or tries to correct him. Despite their very limited experience and learning, they are natural-born philosophers and know-it-alls who exceed all others in knowledge and wisdom. Smile As a lingering byproduct of Communist indoctrination, some people are naturally expected to know better than anyone else. So no point arguing with Gopniks, who believe they are "it".

Thank you Valiarde, I'm very glad you liked it. You are very much an "enabler" of this accidental project, in fact I almost wrote "Blame Valiarde again," but I decided that even as a joke you should not be blamed. Yes, I have picked up a bunch of little bits and pieces over the years, but not all are within easy reach, others I was too lazy to deploy, but I did try to stay true to the theme. To be honest, I had/have half a mind to design a couple of more things for our gopniks. And I almost gave Boris a hammer and sickle chest tattoo (evoking both nostalgia and poor taste), but then decided I need a few more M33 bodies to spare before I could commit to such an atrocity. Smile

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Great pictures and storyline! You put the Margot Robbie-head to good use.
cheers cheers cheers
May I ask where you found the striped undershirt (Russian Marine style)? I have searced for ages, but only got a striped t-shirt.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Great pictures and storyline! You put the Margot Robbie-head to good use.
cheers cheers cheers
May I ask where you found the striped undershirt (Russian Marine style)? I have searced for ages, but only got a striped t-shirt.

Thank you very much, I'm delighted you enjoyed it. And that you approve of the casting of Margot in this role. Smile

I sent you a PM with some leads.

16House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Empty Re: House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:22 am

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
If that had been my 22 lb Tonkanese cat, those two lovebirds would have had a rude awakening at the crack of dawn. You get a couple of warning meows, and if you don’t respond, he starts scratching on the door frames which is like nails on a chalkboard. Laughing

This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed this, but you’re really good at capturing life as a couple. That’s not as easy as it looks. You’ve got to set the scene correctly, get the clothing right, get the dialogue right, and get the poses right. You’re also very good at pairing sculpts. It really comes together beautifully.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:If that had been my 22 lb Tonkanese cat, those two lovebirds would have had a rude awakening at the crack of dawn.  You get a couple of warning meows, and if you don’t respond, he starts scratching on the door frames which is like nails on a chalkboard.   Laughing

This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed this, but you’re really good at capturing life as a couple.  That’s not as easy as it looks.  You’ve got to set the scene correctly, get the clothing right, get the dialogue right, and get the poses right.  You’re also very good at pairing sculpts.  It really comes together beautifully.

I love big cats! I hope yours is a delight despite its demanding attitude. Smile I suppose the Gopnik cat has had to adjust to its owners' schedule.

Thank you for the kind words. I suppose I'm compensating for something, but I'm glad my couples are compelling enough. Smile It comes as quite a compliment, especially because some of what I end up doing (and developing further -- more coming up) is actually so much outside either my experience or specific interest -- Gopniks are a case in point. I haven't even worn a track suit or anything Adidas since my early teens; nor is my limited Russian quite up to comprehending all the unsophisticated jargon involved. If it wasn't for Ovy making a funny comment, I wouldn't even know the word, but here we are, some basic research later. Smile

ElBundy

ElBundy
Nice pics and story. I had to google 'gopnik' before I understood the context. I think the outfit of your figure meets the stereotype. Besides the black Adidas suit, a cap seems to belong to their uniform. Their typical posture is squatting on the street (why?) with a bottle in their hand.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
GubernatorFan wrote:If that had been my 22 lb Tonkanese cat, those two lovebirds would have had a rude awakening at the crack of dawn.  You get a couple of warning meows, and if you don’t respond, he starts scratching on the door frames which is like nails on a chalkboard.

I love big cats! I hope yours is a delight despite its demanding attitude. Smile

He is absolutely a delight.  He’s well worth the scratched door frames and early wake up calls. Wink

20House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Empty Re: House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:32 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ElBundy wrote:Nice pics and story. I had to google 'gopnik' before I understood the context. I think the outfit of your figure meets the stereotype. Besides the black Adidas suit, a cap seems to belong to their uniform. Their typical posture is squatting on the street (why?) with a bottle in their hand.

Thank you very much. I was also a stranger to it until introduced to it by Ovy, who deserves a lot of the credit (or blame) for sending me on this odd tangent. Like you, I started by looking it up and doing just a little research (admittedly, mostly memes and youtube videos). I was of course vaguely aware of some of this, but didn't know it had a name, or that it was quite a subculture, celebrated or reviled. Still working on a few extra accessories, including the headgear, actually (I bought two which are yet to arrive, and since patience is not one of my many virtues, I also made one myself). On squatting, it is a leftover of prison, juvie, and other practice, in which sitting was not allowed or impractical because of cold/frozen ground -- or something like that. Here's a summary I came across recently:
https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/329313-6-superpowers-of-russian-gopnik

Xavion2004 wrote:He is absolutely a delight.  He’s well worth the scratched door frames and early wake up calls.  Wink

That does sound delightful. So often it's difficult to get mad at a lovable furball. Smile

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great photos and story!

22House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Empty Re: House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:56 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great photos and story!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Truly a nightmare to wake without your trusty suit, but it's nice to see it was quickly resolved. Great shots and scenes, I liked the one with the cat.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) 1f60e

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great stuff Ian! that was great!

25House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Empty Re: House of Gopnik (updated with Part III) Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:54 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Truly a nightmare to wake without your trusty suit, but it's nice to see it was quickly resolved. Great shots and scenes, I liked the one with the cat.

Hehe, I'm glad this made you relate, so to speak! But yes, quick and happy resolution. It's only recently I've added a couple of cats to my animal menagerie, and I was glad to find a way of deploying them -- well, this one. Smile

BAMComix wrote:Great stuff Ian! that was great!

Thank you very much, Dal, I'm glad you enjoyed it. More coming up soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum