OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
We have often commented on the desirability of more options in terms of size and skintone when it comes to seamless bodies. The new Kamisoul MAF Extreme body definitely checks these boxes, while leaving a whole lot to be desired.

The body arrives in a nice enough brown cardboard shipper box, containing the actual shoe box-style product box, which has a black lid and a white body. The bottom of the box has some instructions and precautions, almost entirely in Chinese. Inside this, the body itself lies in a white foam bed, together with a baggie with the accessories and the bodysuit. The feet and all of the hands are in the baggie, none of them on the body right out of the box. In the photo, the body is already wearing the bodysuit.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb010

The body comes with a pair of detachable feet, one pair of knife-grip hands, one pair of spread-fingered hands, and one pair of pointing hands. There are special cylindrical inserts that go into the holes on the feet, and receive the ankle pegs. There is also a small baggie with four alternative plastic joints (for the neck?). For the bodysuit, see at end.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb011

I hope you like your bodies pale and that your eyes are not easily hurt by exceedingly bright pale surfaces, because that will be the first thing that strikes you about the body. The promotional images did not lie. The color is most comparable to TBLeague's current (female) pale bodies (see the high heeled legs in the photo below), and a bit paler than the Jiaou Doll "natural" (or YS = Yellow Skin) skintone (as in the 11C-YS body). The body type is closest to but distinct from Jiaou Doll's "teenage" 10A body (I didn't own a 10A-YS, so settled for the 10A-BS version for comparison). The TBLeague M33 is only there for general articulation comparison. The MAF body is taller than the others, standing about 31 cm with a head. It is also more slender and with longer limbs.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb012

The body feels very much like a Jiaou body, and it features those good-for-breeding wide hips that have been a shortcoming of Jiaou male bodies -- and in this case they are even more pronounced, in part due to the fairly tiny waistline. Also like Jiaou, the body's mold includes a diminutive "secret male part" -- and just like Jiaou, to paraphrase the elegant wording of There's Something About Mary, they got the franks but not the beans -- hence the need for the digital smiley faces. Unlike Jiaou, there is no included assortment of more realistic and quite exaggerated attachable alternatives, nor any pair of additional feet. The ankle joints are a little loose, but that can be mitigated in the usual ways. The hands, on the other hand, slide fairly smoothly but securely onto the unusual metal pegs. The movement of the limbs feels similar to Jiaou's, but the figure is perhaps just a little more unstable (due to the ankles).

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb013

I had no head pale enough to really match the skin tone handy, and had to settle for what turned out a fairly distant approximation (some unpainted resin casts are actually fairly close). So here is how it compares with Jiaou's 10A-BS and TBLeague's M33.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb014

Flex at the biceps is better than Jiaou's, but probably slightly worse than TBLeague's (despite its bulkier musculature).

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb015

Kneeling on one leg is pretty good across all three (probably slightly weaker in Jiaou).

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb016 
Bending backwards, MAF is in the lead (in part due to lankier limbs), TBLeague is almost as good (despite shorter limbs and an unhelpful longhaired molded hair sculpt), Jiaou is a distant third.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb017

Bending forward, MAF once again is in the lead, the other two about even with each other. But note that MAF and Jiaou both bunch up at the shoulders.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb018

All three can do the splits and raise their hands vertically upwards very well; MAF does have more of a bunch up at the shoulder.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb110

All three can sit naturally.
New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb019New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb111

Bending the knee, TBLeague is in the lead, the other two about even with each other.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb112

All three bodies can extend their arms horizontally at a right angle from the body's axis, but MAF has the worst bunching up at the shoulders; the problem is least manifested in TBLeague.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb113

The hands that come with the MAF body are made of relatively soft plastic and have a finer sculpt than the others; MAF's fingers are also longer and thinner, I suppose to go with the longer and more slender limbs. In this, Jiaou lags farthest behind.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb114

The feet that come with the MAF body are made of harder plastic. They require the cylindrical inserts to receive the ankle pegs on the body. Once again, MAF's sculpting is superior to TBLeague and Jiaou's (the latter being a copy of the former), with more detail and individual toes.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb115

The bodysuit is a strange affair. I half suspect it isn't meant as actual clothing as much as a fabric layer to go over the body and visually look more or less indistinguishable from the skin, while facilitating clothing the body over it. And helping protect the body from staining or dirt/dust.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb117

It zips up over the back.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb118

I am divided on the Kamisoul MAF body, although there is a lot to disappoint: those horrid hips, those annoyingly loose ankles, and that impossible-to-match skin tone. I thought perhaps this was aimed at Anime characters, but the only male Anime sculpt I happen to have (for customs) turned out too tan to match. Of course, I'm aware that not all Anime is uniformly pale, but that just confirmed the questionable nature of the choice, unless it was meant for something extremely specific and particular that is beyond my comprehension.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb116

On a personal note: This spikey-haired F***er took a tumble and his hair left a pair of bloody snake-teeth-like marks in my hand. Thank you, MAF ankles. And thank you, Anime hair. He's getting "shaved" and rehaired (and probably turned into a girl) soon. As for the body, it is totally going to be subjected to a recoloring experiment.

In summary:

Good: the packaging; the metal wrist pegs, allowing for easy but secure swapping of hands; the very good articulation/range of motion; the detailed sculpt of the body and especially of the hands and feet.
Neutral: the body's height -- a body this slim might work best for a younger character, and in that case the height might be a little too tall; the bodysuit.
Bad: the skin tone (are polar bears this pale?); the wide hips; the loose ankles; the bunching over the shoulders.

I hope this has been helpful. As always, what do you think?

Valiarde

Valiarde
Whoa another great and extensive review Ian Smile That one was really interesting. I know some people want a really pale body for a game witcher char, but i feel this one is not the perfect shape for him.

The palness is really Vampire like here, but maybe it is a good starting point for using pastels.

Nice to have a pale option at least

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for taking one for the team, I guess, lol. The body seems like it is mostly suitable for (at least semi-clothed) anime figures, and not much else.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the review, too bad about the negatives — saves me money.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison C8485110

Diana

Diana
Thank you so much for giving this guy a try! I've been eyeing him for a while. I knew of the shoulders problem, but the loose ankles are a shame. The hips even more so. But I still like the body. It makes me want to create a sandman figure. Smile

Now that I ordered both L and Light with the seamless upper body I am in no rush to get this guy though. Maybe if the price comes down somewhat. The taobao-price of around 50 bucks is ok, but it costs triple last I checked on ali.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:Whoa another great and extensive review Ian Smile  That one was really interesting. I know some people want a really pale body for a game witcher char, but i feel this one is not the perfect shape for him.

The palness is really Vampire like here, but maybe it is a good starting point for using pastels.

Nice to have a pale option at least

Thank you very much for the kind words. I knew to expect it to be pale, but even I was surprised at just how pale and, moreover, that none of the heads I considered overly pale were pale enough to match it. I'm not quite sure there is a real male body that would be perfect shape for this body exists. So I did have this vampire head from The Lost Boys around, and tried it out. Believe it or not, it was not my palest option and, of course, it did not match. The mismatch is lessened if you use firelight, but I saved that photo for my random photos thread. In principle, it is a nice option to have, but they have done a lot that minimizes its usefulness.

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Kmafb119

skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for taking one for the team, I guess, lol. The body seems like it is mostly suitable for (at least semi-clothed) anime figures, and not much else.

Thanks. I think you are right. Even fully clothed. At which point, why a seamless body at all. I did notice when researching it, that it claimed to be based on an earlier hard plastic open jointed body, and that was advertised with a blurry but unmistakably anime head.

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the review, too bad about the negatives — saves me money.

You are very welcome. I vaguely remember you mentioning it, and I thought it might be useful to see.

Diana wrote:Thank you so much for giving this guy a try! I've been eyeing him for a while. I knew of the shoulders problem, but the loose ankles are a shame. The hips even more so. But I still like the body. It makes me want to create a sandman figure. Smile

Now that I ordered both L and Light with the seamless upper body I am in no rush to get this guy though. Maybe if the price comes down somewhat. The taobao-price of around 50 bucks is ok, but it costs triple last I checked on ali.

It's one of those instances where they did so much right to ruin it with so much wrong. Of course no one product is likely to satisfy everyone, and perhaps if I were into Anime, I would have been a little bit less disappointed. If you cover it up enough, and take precautions with the ankles (I ended up resorting to electrical tape after the shoot, but you want to keep that -- and any tape, as you know -- off the TPE surface), and want a very tall very slim body, it is definitely usable.

Those prices you quote are not too bad. On eBay it is over $100, and I only got it because the seller offered me a very nice discount when I had it sitting in my Watch List.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I actually scrolled up once I saw it was meant to be a male body as I thought it was a female body. I like that it is tall but man is it pale, I think it would probably take any dyes really well and would make for some cool alien/fantasy customs. Also thanks for always showing us all these new bodies that pop up.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:I actually scrolled up once I saw it was meant to be a male body as I thought it was a female body. I like that it is tall but man is it pale, I think it would probably take any dyes really well and would make for some cool alien/fantasy customs. Also thanks for always showing us all these new bodies that pop up.
You are welcome and thank you for the kind words. Glad they are informative. That's why I do it. Smile

m76

m76
Theboo-bomb wrote:I actually scrolled up once I saw it was meant to be a male body as I thought it was a female body. I like that it is tall but man is it pale, I think it would probably take any dyes really well and would make for some cool alien/fantasy customs. Also thanks for always showing us all these new bodies that pop up.

That was my first thought as well, it is certainly a very androgynous body.

But what is shocking to me is the color, from the pictures it is certainly not even near the TBLeague pale bodies, this one seems paler than my wall that I just painted white recently.

http://madblog.shacknet.us

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
m76 wrote:

That was my first thought as well, it is certainly a very androgynous body.

But what is shocking to me is the color, from the pictures it is certainly not even near the TBLeague pale bodies, this one seems paler than my wall that I just painted white recently.
I agree. Even though it is more Jiaou than TBLeague, they did a lot right with this body, so the sculpt and the color were particularly unfortunate choices, at least from most of our points of view.

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
Seeing your post I can say the Kamisoul is really novice on making bodies, my first thought on this body is for anime as you mentioned....unpaint head might fit this body, like a statue, you can do some of them and make a Greek statue museum.... afro

but I also struggle that the range motion on this seems legit compare to the JD, or even TBL....though I'll never buy JD anymore, first the smell, second the plastic joints don't last even 5 months....they will keep bouncing back to default pose after some posing session for a few months...

so far TBL is doing great and the range motion is quite good, for now I will stick to them, but keep an eye on this MAF as well....

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:Seeing your post I can say the Kamisoul is really novice on making bodies, my first thought on this body is for anime as you mentioned....unpaint head might fit this body, like a statue, you can do some of them and make a Greek statue museum.... afro

but I also struggle that the range motion on this seems legit compare to the JD, or even TBL....though I'll never buy JD anymore, first the smell, second the plastic joints don't last even 5 months....they will keep bouncing back to default pose after some posing session for a few months...

so far TBL is doing great and the range motion is quite good, for now I will stick to them, but keep an eye on this MAF as well....
This is reasonable, judging by my own experience. Yes, as mentioned, the body's color is probably closest to some unpainted cast resin heads. Smile

The range of motion is very good indeed, really the only "big" issue is the unseemly bunching at the shoulders in certain positions. But you're right, I don't yet know how well the joints would hold up after a while. I'm not sure Jiaou's got worse with time -- they weren't as good as TBLeague's all metal structure to begin with.

I agree, TBLeague is still the leader, even if I still question some of their choices. But this body, perhaps in part due to its (overly?) long limbs might have provided a serious challenge, had it not been for some very questionable choices on the part of the design.

Ovy

Ovy
Nice, didn't know that one. Maybe some day someone will find a head that matches. Reminds me of that Sandman dude.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Nice, didn't know that one. Maybe some day someone will find a head that matches. Reminds me of that Sandman dude.
Thanks. Yes, the search continues. Someone mentioned Sandman before too... So I looked it up. Maybe something like this?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/393290979930088268/

Diana

Diana
GubernatorFan wrote:
Ovy wrote:Nice, didn't know that one. Maybe some day someone will find a head that matches. Reminds me of that Sandman dude.
Thanks. Yes, the search continues. Someone mentioned Sandman before too... So I looked it up. Maybe something like this?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/393290979930088268/

That was me. I'm thinking of the Netflix show:
New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Sandma10

I've never read the comic (shame on me), but found this art by arcosart (deviantArt):
New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison Sandma11

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for confirming, Diana, this really seems to be it. The Kamisoul MAF hard plastic open-jointed body that was supposedly the inspiration for the seamless one reviewed here was shown with a pixellated head that might point to the same source.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204152122041

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
And this might be a head meant for the same rendition of the same character:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195384133075

Valiarde

Valiarde
I thought it was the perfect actor for sandman in that show.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
If this body was solid black, I could use it for a supporting character I’ve had in mind for a long time.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

New Kamisoul MAF Extreme seamless body, with Jiaou and TBLeague comparison C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:I thought it was the perfect actor for sandman in that show.
If you say so, I trust your judgement. Smile

Stryker2011 wrote:If this body was solid black, I could use it for a supporting character I’ve had in mind for a long time.
If you find it a reasonable price (it might be scarce), perhaps worth a recoloring. I think I have covered all the shortcomings, so you would know what you expect and how to correct it.

Diana

Diana
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for confirming, Diana, this really seems to be it. The Kamisoul MAF hard plastic open-jointed body that was supposedly the inspiration for the seamless one reviewed here was shown with a pixellated head that might point to the same source.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204152122041

To be fair, I think that pixellated head looks like any random pretty boy anime character. I'm seeing Tuxedo Mask of Sailor Moon fame. Laughing

GubernatorFan wrote:And this might be a head meant for the same rendition of the same character:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195384133075

Ooh! I don't like that particular head, but... Seems odd that this guy hasn't been released as a box set yet! I would probably not even bother making my figure look like him. I'd just try to capture the essence and take quite a few liberties. 

Valiarde wrote:I thought it was the perfect actor for sandman in that show.

Me, too!!! I celebrated this show start to finish. Very Happy 
I got catapulted right back into my teenage years. I still love the dark/powerful/dangerous/brooding/dreamy/Good stereotype. *Looking at Eric Draven and Daredevil, who could always use some company* Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I will take your word for it, Diana, totally unaware of the source material on my end. But I know what you mean by that type. It is a common enough choice in fiction, from House to Downy Jr's Sherlock Homes to so many others.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum