OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tbleague and AI

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tbleague and AI Empty Tbleague and AI Wed 8 Mar 2023 - 15:38

Tabul

It has been a while since I posted something new, but here it is. Last week I got my hands on Leonardo AI and it has been an eye opener to say the least. I tried generating some characters I had in mind and while I was creating them with great success, and with more experience using their tools I moved on to the next thing I wanted to try. Here is the original picture of woman viking, a simple shot with some lighting.
Tbleague and AI Tbleague_viking_woman_by_adelphievs_dfr8p3t-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTQyMyIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2I0MDZmOTBlLWU0NWMtNDcxOC04ODUzLWU3MmViZmQ2MWNmZlwvZGZyOHAzdC03ODIyMDdjYS0zOWU0LTQ2NDMtYTdjMS1lMWM1MjE4ZDFlOWUuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ

and here are the AI enhanced version, if it can be called that.

Tbleague and AI Tbleague_viking_woman_ai_version_1_by_adelphievs_dfr8p6n-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTQ2MyIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2I0MDZmOTBlLWU0NWMtNDcxOC04ODUzLWU3MmViZmQ2MWNmZlwvZGZyOHA2bi04NWM5N2NmMS03ZTU1LTQ1ZjgtYmZkYy1hZTE3ZjQzMDY0MTguanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ

Tbleague and AI Tbleague_viking_woman_ai_version_2_by_adelphievs_dfr8pbl-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTQ2MyIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2I0MDZmOTBlLWU0NWMtNDcxOC04ODUzLWU3MmViZmQ2MWNmZlwvZGZyOHBibC01ZTAxMDU4ZC05NzYzLTQ0MmQtOTlhMy1kZWFlYTY5N2EwN2QuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ

it gives more life to the picture, even a personality.

2Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Wed 8 Mar 2023 - 17:55

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That face is a nice upgrade.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Tbleague and AI C8485110

3Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Wed 8 Mar 2023 - 19:33

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, beautifully done.

4Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Thu 9 Mar 2023 - 10:35

Ovy

Ovy
Those AIs are definitely fun to play around with. But what I would really need is one that recognizes the eyeballs and their positions and make it possible to change the direction they are looking at.

5Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Thu 9 Mar 2023 - 11:47

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:…But what I would really need is one that recognizes the eyeballs and their positions and make it possible to change the direction they are looking at.

I gotta admit, this made me laugh out loud.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Tbleague and AI C8485110

6Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Fri 10 Mar 2023 - 2:33

Illusion

Illusion
I like AI when figures can be placed in different surroundings or with various backdrops based on AI.
But I prefer the figure to be „pure“ and unchanged. I have my figures for looking at them in hand, not on pics. I want to like my figure for what he/she is and not for how she/he could look like. Changes like the above are a bit disruptive to me, reducing figures to tools to create nice pictures rather than making nice pictures of the figures themselves… does that make any sense to anyone else?

7Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Fri 10 Mar 2023 - 3:43

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I love special effects applied to photos from time to time but, overall, I agree that a figure should be able to look good even without them.

8Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Fri 10 Mar 2023 - 7:57

davidd

davidd
Illusion wrote:
... reducing figures to tools to create nice pictures rather than making nice pictures of the figures themselves… does that make any sense to anyone else?

Yes, that makes sense to me. However, what is at issue is the end result desired by the photographer or image creator. Sometimes the objective is to present a photo of a detailed figure. Other times, the result is to create a photograph, or a scene, that tells a story or creates a mood, and the figure is, as you say, simply one of the tools used to create the final image.

Most of us on this forum, which is an action figure forum, after all, are interested in the figures themselves. I follow some digital artists on other platforms who use figures, and who even go to considerable lengths to create costumes, settings, and miniature props for those figures, as the basis for digitally enhanced images, with the images being the objective and the figures being elements used to achieve that objective.

As the AI generative art apps continue to improve and to become more user-friendly, I expect to see a lot more of this type of digital image creation, with action figures being used as the "prompt" from which to generate images. I've observed this trend coming since the popularity of the FaceApp app exploded. Personally, I'm not a fan of FaceApp altered figure photos, largely because to my eye most of the manipulations seem to be overdone, but that particular app seems to have been accepted, and even embraced, by the majority of the action figure community. Using AI apps to further enhance action figure photos for additional "realism" (or "idealized realism") seems, to me at least, to simply be another step in the direction pioneered by Faceapp.

The line, so to speak, has now become extremely nebulous. How much "Photoshop" is "too much?" How much FaceApp is too much? And now, how much AI Generative Manipulation will be accepted among figure hobbyists? Most of the prototype images used by manufacturers to advertise pre-release figures are digital renderings now, yet we continue to place pre-orders for figures, even though we are often disappointed by the disparity between the pre-order rendering and the actual physical product. Digital enhancement, I believe, is at this point, ingrained in the action figure photography hobby, and any limits set on digitally enhanced images would be completely arbitrary and difficult to identify, let alone enforce.

The images in the original post are extremely well done. I particularly like the second image, with just a hint of "improvement." That's the type of subtle image manipulation the manufacturers are using the sell us the products. It's also a very nice photograph.

9Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Fri 10 Mar 2023 - 16:48

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree with davidd. As a point of reference, at least, whether one is showing off a custom or a prototype, it would be both honest and informative to always include an unaltered image of the real thing.

10Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Sat 11 Mar 2023 - 3:18

BAMComix

BAMComix
An interesting concept for sure.

11Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Sun 12 Mar 2023 - 4:07

Illusion

Illusion
I fully agree with davidd. And I perfectly see the development he‘s describing.
Please no misunderstandings here Smile
Use of AI lastly depends on personal preferences.
(It just does not seem to be „right“ for ME to alter a figure‘s face to this extent, regardless how beautiful the result may be. But of course I don‘t object to people who enjoy it. I may enjoy some of their pics and others not so much. I am actually indeed a little wary/worried of what becomes possible…)

12Tbleague and AI Empty Re: Tbleague and AI Sun 12 Mar 2023 - 10:45

davidd

davidd
Illusion wrote:I am actually indeed a little wary/worried of what becomes possible…

Crying or Very sad Yes -- far beyond what anyone is doing on a "hobby level" with AI art, the possibilities for creating "fake" images that are impossible to differentiate from real images is now infinite. With the advances in AI image generation that are now being introduced, "photographic evidence" is no longer "evidence" of anything. Similarly effective AI is being used to generate video and audio content.

13Tbleague and AI Empty Tbleague and AI Sun 12 Mar 2023 - 22:53

Tabul

I agree with many of you and personally would like own more figures, but can't because of price and space. I know eventually my figures will decay and start breaking down, for now they are in good shape. At least while I have them, I can make good use of them and help me learn the limitations of AI art generators. I have to mention that is easy to alter the face of anything with AI, but hands and feet, they get destroyed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum