OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good place for printable sewing patterns and tutorials for 1/12 and 1/6 scale clothing?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Queen Skadi

So had a look through the tutorials section and did not see much in the way of sewing patterns or tutorials for clothing, anyone got any good links to any good places to get patterns and tips on how to create clothing for 1/12 and 1/6 scale figures?

Better to use a sewing machine or sew by hand? Just finding the small scale to be a bit fiddly.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's a good question. I don't have a database of anything myself, but if you search on Etsy for 1/6 scale clothing patterns or even doll patterns, I do recall seeing quite a few available (obviously not for free though). I think this is one of those instances where doll resources would probably be the place to start looking, even if those require some adaptation.

As for machine vs. hand sewing, it depends on the context. With some things that I feel require more precise stitches that will be visible, I use machine (I have a small one specifically for using on the 1/6 clothing), but for other pieces that don't require such precision, I prefer sewing by hand.

Apologies if this isn't super helpful, if i have time I will look through my bookmarks and see if I saved anything...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The few times I had to make stuff, I made my own patterns (nothing too complicated — though it felt like it). I have a sewing machine, but haven’t used it (yet). Every time I did sew something I did it by hand. I would think you could always get life size patterns and shrink them down (just like real clothes you’d have to make adjustments based on whichever body you’re using). I used underlining for the templates to make sure the size and drape were correct and then drew on the actual material.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Good place for printable sewing patterns and tutorials for 1/12 and 1/6 scale clothing? C8485110

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Pinterest is your friend! There’s plenty of great tutorials out there for clothes but most will be fore barbies so you’ll need to adapt them for other bodies.

I’ve got a huge collection of ones I’ve saved over the years in different albums for easier organisation.

https://pin.it/4wpxRHH

Melancholic

Melancholic
Wow Lynkhart, I just went to that link, you're incredibly organized. Thanks for posting it as I am ready to start sewing for my figures! There are a few bodies that fit into Barbie clothes and I'm sure it would be pretty simple to just expand those patterns for the standard size figures. And there are Youtube video tutorials on making your own patterns for doll clothes, although I'm not that ambitious.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Knew you'd be able to help, Lynkhart! That's a fantastic collection of patterns, thanks so much for sharing! Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Holy cow! There's a lot of stuff in that link. Thanks for sharing, Christine.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Good place for printable sewing patterns and tutorials for 1/12 and 1/6 scale clothing? C8485110

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Heh, I’m actually super DISorganised everywhere else in my life but I do love me some Pinterest boards! 😂

I’ve also got this one full of different tutorials for miniatures of all kinds! I need to organise that one a lot more though 😂

https://pin.it/6lRcgvp

Tony Barton

It's worth considering the fabrics you use as well. A lot of modern materials can be incredibly light an flimsy, and fray like mad, and I recommend giving them a coat of dilute acrylic paint before you work with them. That tends to make them stiffer, and stop the fraying , and it makes them much easier to run under a machine foot.
I often source material from local charity shops, where you can find things like infants clothes very cheap.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's good advice, Tony. Sourcing quality fabrics for 1/6 scale is a huge challenge, especially when trying to purchase online. I never thought to try baby clothing, that's a clever idea. I see we are located in the same geographic region, so I might try your idea of checking nearby charity shops...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum