OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

1890s-1910s era clothing in a 1/6 scale

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11890s-1910s era clothing in a 1/6 scale Empty 1890s-1910s era clothing in a 1/6 scale Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:09 pm

helianthus

Sorry again for a post made from a lack of experience, but I was wondering if anyone here has experience with finding clothing that would align, with some margin of error of course, with the style of roughly the turn of the 20th century.

I have extensively searched for specifically, a tailcoat or antique style suit, as well as for the style of knee-pants commonly worn at that time in daily life and in outdoor activity, as the character for which I am looking for this for is photographed as having worn this often. The closest I could find to the latter was various pieces from battlegeartoys.com, especially their "western" section, however, I have no idea if they are a legitimate company, so I decided to wait.

I'm considering trying to draft another pattern, but my sewing proficiency does not extend to such a small scale, and the last attempt was a complete and total disaster, made worse by the fact that I was working with the thick material tweed left over from a recent human-scale project, which was unsuitable for the size required. Though I did consider possibly altering the seam allotment and hand-sewing, but I'll definitely practice that with scraps of a separate thick material such as upholstery to see how it would fall and hold up in general when completed.

Has anyone else here found searching for clothing suitable for a character of this time period to be a challenge as well, if so, what was the solution you found?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Generally speaking, Western, Sherlock Holmes-y, and Bram Stoker-y sets are the most likely to provide what you need, apart from the occasional military set.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
I’ve ordered from Battlegear many times. Yes, they are legitimate, and excellent customer service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

1890s-1910s era clothing in a 1/6 scale 1f10

davidd

davidd
The closest I have found is this set on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133889722244

Although actually, it's more of an 1870s-1880s "Wyatt Earp" style.

Tony Barton

I would second the recommendation of BattleGear Toys , excellent service and really good products.
If you want to make your own garments, might I suggest you get some brushed cotton ? Much the easiest scale woollen fabric to work with and even better when you give it a thin coat of acrylic paint beforehand. Then it doesn't fray when you are trying to sew it.
You can cut out period patterns from it, and it's by far the easiest fabric to sew.Some parts you will have to do by hand, but straight seams will generally work under a machine, using the thinnest needle and a very short stitch length,

helianthus

Tony Barton wrote:I would second the recommendation of BattleGear Toys , excellent service and really good products.
If you want to make your own garments, might I suggest you get some brushed cotton ? Much the easiest scale woollen fabric to work with and even better when you give it a thin coat of acrylic paint beforehand. Then it doesn't fray when you are trying to sew it.
You can cut out period patterns from it, and it's by far the easiest fabric to sew.Some parts you will have to do by hand, but straight seams will generally work under a machine, using the thinnest needle and a very short stitch length,

Thank you very much for both suggestions, I will most certainly be giving brushed cotton a try next time I make an attempt to sew 1/6 scale clothing. I love pattern-making for human-scale, and possibly I can apply that better to the 1/6 scale during my next attempt.

Do you know if the clothing from there fits the TBleague or Jiaou figures? I have been so hesitant towards purchasing any clothing for it online since it's hips seem a little wide, and therefore I have been unsure as to what would fit, (which is also the main reason I've been looking into hand-sewing).

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
You should reach out to Amy Jones (AJClothiers) to see if she can make something for you. I’ve sent her specific bodies when needed to have a fairly exacting fit. Her prices are reasonable, as well. She may or may not take on the commission as she is often over-booked, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. She also has a retail store where she sells a bunch of Western era stuff, and even some simple medieval items. She’s not Pop Toys level, but I haven’t had issues with anything she’s made for me (custom 1/6 scale clothes for Downey Jr., Jude Law and Noomi Rapace outfits from the Sherlock Holmes movies among them).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

1890s-1910s era clothing in a 1/6 scale 1f10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum