OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone know how "303 Aerospace Protectant" affects Silicone/TPE?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Adeno

I've been hearing about "303 Aerospace Protectant" from people collecting Hot Toys. Apparently, it's used to keep toys from from getting dirty from dust. Some people are thinking of using it on their Mezco Batman 1989, which is made of silicone/tpe just like TBLeague. I'm not sure how safe this 303 Aerospace Protectant is, what do you think?

Thanks! Very Happy

Does anyone know how "303 Aerospace Protectant" affects Silicone/TPE? 9669b452-710c-4382-b23e-452b9b7dc757_1.ae20a7fd82c4f128b9750f48ccba4eca

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
No idea. I would check the list of active ingredients on the back of the label, and then research how TPE reacts to any of them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Does anyone know how "303 Aerospace Protectant" affects Silicone/TPE? 1f10

Adeno

Found relevant info from someone who seems to know his stuff (Summary: Don't use it!)

SloWdaD ox:

PSA .This chemical will accelerate the degrading and degasing of the rubber.   This is a glorified version of “armor all” . I work in the automotive industry and using silicone based dressings are an absolute no go.  Once this stuff starts to dry it will become sticky and will stay oily . The powder on the body is water resistant. Apply this only forces it to stay wet and seem like it has disappeared. .  I’m guessing it’ll even “sweat” in your display case. Best way to clean plastic or rubber is a damp NEW micro fiber towel and maybe very very little soapy water (dishsoap) that’s it. Make sure it’s warm water so it lifts the power better (not hot) make sure the towel is brand new never been used especially ones that haven’t been used  in the kitchen .   Dish soap and water to make it very diluted. Make sure u clean the creases and abs first so u don’t push the powder into those places. Then the rest of the body . Careful with the gauntlets . The cloth can get caught.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Not surprising that it wouldn't be a good idea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Does anyone know how "303 Aerospace Protectant" affects Silicone/TPE? 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for checking and figuring out this is not something we should try.

cdn_rhino

This stuff has been around for many years, and has been used in varying degrees of success on figures depending on user circumstances. Like exposure to UV light, open or closed display (open shelf, or closed in like an Ikea Detolf), humidity, material it's being used on (silicone body or similar rubber material), or pleather/vinyl clothing material.

I recall a similar post being made on OSW almost 10 years ago. I'll see if anything developed over there.

Rubber/silicone muscle bodies are a similar but not same make up as the rubber this is intended for. This product is meant for rubber surfaces like tyres, and de-ice boots on wings/flight control surfaces/propellers on airplanes. It's more of an industrial use product, so it's not really made for toys/figures. It's more meant for outside/outdoor use. And as mentioned above, like an "Armor All" type product, but better. It is meant to keep rubber material soft and pliable after exposure to the elements. Application intervals depends on how often the aircraft is exposed to the elements, or depending on aircraft, or product application recommendations.

Will it protect from dirt and dust? No. Dirt comes from handling the figures. If the figure is on display, and not handled, it will stay clean. Dust will settle on everything, even in enclosed cases. Dust is inevitable. Most dust in your home is actually from your own skin cells. This product may even attract dust as it is a liquid you apply to the external surface of the item it's being to. So it could actually attract/collect dust.

How do I know this you ask? I've been an aircraft tech for 30 years, and this is used in a lot of shops I have worked in over the years.

Would I use this on my figures? Not unless I tried it on a figure I wasn't worried about ruining. That is a real risk with a product like this. In theory, it should be okay. It is meant to keep the rubber surfaces soft, and pliable and help protect against UV exposure, and water/ice abrasion. That should help prevent cracking and discolouration. But ultimately it depends on the material the figure is made out of, and whether the product will react with the surface material of your figure.

Have I used it on a figure yet? No. I only have 3 seamless type bodies in my collection, and have never had a need for a product like this on my figures. No issues with cracking or crumbling. And rubber/silicone bodies have advanced quite bit since I last read anything about this topic and product.

Basically, use at your own risk or reward. Seamless bodies are not inexpensive. Maybe choose one that is your least favourite and experiment with that.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I know that markers meant for writing on rubber tires can have an adverse effect on TPE is applied over a stretched TPE surface (if not stretched, it seems pretty much ok). So there is a significant difference between the reactions of rubber and TPE.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum