OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Soldiers Of The World (SOTW) Vietnam War 1st Air Cav Trooper Accessory Set

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Soldiers Of The World (SOTW) Vietnam War 1st Air Cav Trooper Accessory Set 52904610829_f072befd5d_b
Hey guys!

Scored a SOTW set, circa 2002, for cheap on eBay.

Not bad overall. Here’s my initial takeaway.
Note: Everything but the tee shirt and wrist cover came in the set.
Soldiers Of The World (SOTW) Vietnam War 1st Air Cav Trooper Accessory Set 52904903183_a23c052daa_b

The uniform, specifically the jacket, is a bit on the big side, it may look decent on a thicker or more muscular body.
It’s a nice thin material, with functional pockets (minus the hip pockets which aren’t present in the trousers).
The trousers have one fastener, and no belt loops, so you may want to use an elastic or something to help keep them from falling.

The boots are basically just the Dragon Models jungle boot, a nice soft plastic.
If the uniform looks a little funny it’s because I dressed the figure in it after giving it a soak so it’ll sit better afterwards.
Soldiers Of The World (SOTW) Vietnam War 1st Air Cav Trooper Accessory Set 52904903188_fb889c8961_b

The helmet liner is on the small side. Plastic webbing. The canteen and gear all have little clips to allow them to slip onto the web belt.
The grenades are nice pieces, but don’t fit super well in the carriers on the ammo pouches, or the hooks on the web suspenders.
I found it a little weird that the set came with three frags, not four.

The machete was a super tight fit into the carrier, couldn’t even get it all the way in, didn’t wanna force it and break it.
Soldiers Of The World (SOTW) Vietnam War 1st Air Cav Trooper Accessory Set 52904610799_3b381450a3_b
The ERDL cloth could be cut in half and used to make a scarf, or maybe rolled up for a poncho liner.

It’s got the wrong magazine type for the rifle, ideally it would be a 20 rounder, the dust cover is sculpted closed as well.

The LAW is pretty slick, it has flip-up sights, has a rocket as well, with an attached barrel cover for the back end.
It’s missing some decals and could use some more paint but it’s a decent piece.

Soldiers Of The World (SOTW) Vietnam War 1st Air Cav Trooper Accessory Set 52904838655_6b20b90d70_b

These sets are rising in price lately I’ve noticed, and some can have some very usable items.
I got the Sniper accessory set a couple years back.

If scored for the right price, they can be great jumping off point for a custom.

Chip

I thought those kit`s were great back then and now , they just need a few tweaks . They easily equalled the Dragon releases around the same time , and I think had the edge on 21st`s stuff . The most annoying part if you built squads was those name tags on the jackets . Nice to see you posting again .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice find, Pickle, and nice to see you back. Looks like he picked your dryer as his post and you will have to wave some white handkerchief every time you approach to do laundry.

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Thanks a lot fellas! Been a little quiet on the Toy Front lately but hoping to get back into things more now.

If this little trooper knows what's good for 'em he'll hightail it outta dodge 'fore my wife swoops in with a basket, she takes no prisoners!

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Nice grab. Looks like, as you said, some of the items could use some work. I wonder if you could trim some of the edge off the plastic of the machete to make it actually fit in its scabbard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Soldiers Of The World (SOTW) Vietnam War 1st Air Cav Trooper Accessory Set 1f10

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Stryker2012 wrote:Nice grab. Looks like, as you said, some of the items could use some work. I wonder if you could trim some of the edge off the plastic of the machete to make it actually fit in its scabbard.

I was thinking of maybe trying to pry the case apart and check the internals to ensure there's adequate room. I'll likely drill the drain holes out as well. One way or another, I'll make 'er fit!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum