OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:29 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Inspired by my 1:6 castle attempt, which remains a furnishing work-in-progress, I have spent the last few months slowly attempting a snow diorama, to be a companion to the external castle wall.

Just about finished - this is intended to be a nod to a fantasy forest where Mr Witcher will hang out, if Buzztoys ever finish him! Meanwhile, my lady viking was happy to test it out first. Photo shots below, and I will add a ‘making of’ post below for anyone interested.

Please put on warm clothing and venture in…….. (in stages, as it won’t load all)

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Img_1510

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Img_1511

2Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:33 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Img_1512

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Img_1513

3Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty The-Making-Of Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:00 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Main materials:
Base - MDF board with thin foamboard on top.
Structure - scrunched up paper and bits of packing foam, covered in plaster cloth. To seal and keep it flexible, I covered in a thin layer of spackle (lightweight plaster) and then covered with a layer of fabric glue (I had an old bottle and it remains flexible when dry, so it seemed a good idea…)
Snow - ridiculous amounts of Tamiya Snow Texture paint on the throne/hill part; deluxe materials snowflakes on the flat ground.
Waterfall - woodland scenics realistic water on polystyrene & plastercloth (3 thin layers of water) & water effects for the waterfall bits; real crystal chips.
Details: real crystals and hot glue; model trees and more snow, woodland scenics water effects for icicles on trees and the two frozen pools on the ground. Bit of blue/white/turquoise acrylic paints under the pools, in the waterfall base and undercoat on the tall part of the base.

Lessons learned:
Plaster cloth is amazing, easy and quick to use, dries quickly, strong yet light. Fantastic stuff.
White is not white and snow is not snow. I went through several different types of snow before finding the ones I liked, and learned that similar snow products made by the same company are not the same colour white at all. So I had to get more snow to cover up the wrong colour snow.
You can spend months faffing about with waterfalls.

Some various photos of progress along the way:

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Img_1410

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Image11

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Image10

4Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 am

Allotropos

Allotropos
Amazing work !
I especially like the water effects you've applied to the dio..that blue in the sea of white really pops !
Thanks for sharing the WIPs too!!

5Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:26 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, gorgeous work! For all the effort, it definitely paid off in the end.

6Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:26 pm

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Nice work on the diorama piece. Great water effect! Is that a little, partly frozen creek?

7Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:06 am

Diana

Diana
Beautiful work!! Thank you for documenting and sharing your process! I'm looking forward to seeing the Witcher in there, too! Very Happy

8Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:48 pm

davidd

davidd
Impressive sculpting using bits of foam and tape! You achieve remarkable results starting with very basic materials! I appreciate your sharing the "making of" photos and explanation.

9Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:53 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
That’s excellent. Wonderful work all around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Snow Diorama - fantasy forest 1f10

10Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:08 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Amazing dio work!

11Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:56 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Great work on the dio and on the figure too. I've never worked with snow but I've always heard it can be challenging to get it right, so I applaud your work on making it look so good.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Snow Diorama - fantasy forest 1f60e

12Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:06 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Randam Hajile wrote:Nice work on the diorama piece. Great water effect! Is that a little, partly frozen creek?

Yes it was downscaled from my initial idea to have a frozen lady of the lake arm/torso emerging from ice. So I kept various bits of frozen water, which may yield the odd beast yet……

13Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:16 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Thanks all for your kind comments Very Happy and it’s useful to know others appreciate a few pictures of the process.

I’d forgotten to mention the backdrop - it’s a cheap eBay buy listed as a ‘printed tapestry’, 1 x 1.5m. I was hoping for a matte soft fabric but it’s more like a polyester photo backdrop material, although much thinner and it did successfully take a cool steam iron to get smooth without any melting or ink transfer. I prefer it to the backdrops, as these ‘tapestries’ come in smaller sizes and are much easier to iron flat.

14Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Empty Re: Snow Diorama - fantasy forest Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:27 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Nice one Tanzenwolfe. I like how you put so much passion into that figure. Already liked your castle dio and now this one. Thanks for showing - I think crafting stuff and showing the process is the thing that keeps boards like this alive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum