OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:51 pm

NavySubGuy

NavySubGuy
I recently purchased a TBLeague S26A figure. It does have a "small" connector.

The vendor suggested that I purchase an "OBITSU" 1/6 head sculpt to comfortably fit this TBL figure.

When I searched eBay and other locations, I found that the OBITSU was far more expensive then the normal head sculpts. The lowest prices were in the $140 - $160 and they went up as high at $350 - $400. Shocked

Still learning, but I cannot see the "obvious" difference in the quality and detail of the OBITSU vs the more affordable 1/6 head sculpts.

What am I missing?
Any other suggestions from heads for the S24A / S25B / S26A / S27B TBL figures?

As always thanks for your patience.

2OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:19 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
You can find recast blank Obitsu heads for realitively inexpensive, but yes.... fully handpainted ones with a wig or hairpiece will be pricey.

But if you are simply looking for more realistic headsculpts to use with the smaller Tbleague bodies, you can check out this thread (still a work in progress, I need to update it):

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3873-headsculpts-for-petite-tbleague-bodies-s24a-s25b-and-s26a-s27b-continually-updated

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

3OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
NavySubGuy wrote:I recently purchased a TBLeague S26A figure. It does have a "small" connector.

The vendor suggested that I purchase an "OBITSU" 1/6 head sculpt to comfortably fit this TBL figure.

When I searched eBay and other locations, I found that the OBITSU was far more expensive then the normal head sculpts. The lowest prices were in the $140 - $160 and they went up as high at $350 - $400. Shocked

Still learning, but I cannot see the "obvious" difference in the quality and detail of the OBITSU vs the more affordable 1/6 head sculpts.

What am I missing?
Any other suggestions from heads for the S24A / S25B / S26A / S27B TBL figures?

As always thanks for your patience.
While I was typing, Sky responded with a link to a thread dedicated to this.

Additionally, browse through the following threads for some ideas:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3013-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-with-steel-skeleton-catalog-updated-continually

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1403-clothing-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-updated-part-xxx-december-2022

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t7575-female-head-with-tbl-body-catalogue

Hot Toys has a number of exquisite female heads (expensive, of course, but you can find some of them parted out for under $70) that are properly scaled for their female bodies, which tend to be shorter than the standard TBLeague glamazon bodies. In fact, they tend to be pretty close to TBLeague's petite S24-25. The S26-27 is even more petite, so I cannot guarantee these would work with it. Something that might work are the i8 Toys sculpts for the Serene Hound Troop series. In the Head Sculpt Catalog thread I have the "Cer" version on an S25B, but I have since tried it on an S26A (so, more petite and pale), and I think it works better, both in terms of color and size. Will try to snap a photo for the Female Head with TBL Body Catalog.

4OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:16 pm

NavySubGuy

NavySubGuy
GREAT information .... many thanks for the links and information.
This is just a wonderful and helpful group! bounce

5OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:01 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Glad to help! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

6OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:48 am

Zes

Zes
Like others mentioned, Obitsu heads are all handpainted, hence the high price.

That said, you can find budget Obitsu heads on Yahoo Auctions.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/category/list/2084052785/

7OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:32 am

NavySubGuy

NavySubGuy
Zes wrote:Like others mentioned, Obitsu heads are all handpainted, hence the high price.

That said, you can find budget Obitsu heads on Yahoo Auctions.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/category/list/2084052785/

Thanks for the link.

I can see how beautiful the OBITSU hand painted heads appear. I am "probably" not in that market (YET), but maybe someday. Many of the heads that cost in the $45 - $55 range look to my untrained eye to be a close match to the OBITSU, however maybe I am not seeing the important difference.

I noticed that many of the vendor bodies seem to sport an OBITSU head for display. I love the heads and hunted to see if I could find them. But alas, they were only for display and not for sale. However, I have found what I "think" are knockoffs .... as I seen mentioned here.  

The knockoffs are very good, but I can notice a very subtle different in the skin shading and eyes if I look closely.

So, for the while, I will build up my collection with my TBL figures and non-OBITSU heads. There is still a bit  to understand. For example why are LDDOLLS so much more expensive than others. I suppose the logic is the same and I just don't quite "get-it" yet.

Thanks everyone for the support and information. It really helps!
LA

8OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:10 pm

davidd

davidd
Sample images of various heads on the S26 body:

OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  50355025322_8711c78ace
Head from a TBLeague S34 figure on a S26 body

OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  50931487082_4aa857f0a6
Head from TBLeague S37 figure on a S26 body

OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  52409976914_9d29d9976a
YMToys YMT058 head on S26 body

OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  49892614123_49e3c7d08d
Momoko Doll head on S26 body

In my experience, heads from YMToys tend to run on the small side and often, although not always, work with the TBLeague S26/27 body size.

As for Obitsu, they used to make jointed plastic bodies with a greater range of movement that were popular with fashion doll collectors who wanted to upgrade their dolls for better posing potential. For reasons I am not aware of, Obitsu bodies have become increasingly difficult to source over the past several years. Originally, most Obitsu bodies in the 1/6-scale size range included a blank head -- "blank" meaning no paint, no eyes, no hair -- that custom doll makers could use to create custom dolls.

If you would like to delve in to the world of custom painting your own blank Obitsu heads, they are still available from at least one online retailer that I know of, a doll hobby supply retailer called The Junky Spot:

http://www.junkyspot.com/obindex.html

Click on the link in the left sidebar for Obitsu and then select the 27cm Heads icon, then scroll down to find unpainted heads with and without hair.

I do not know if stock Obitsu heads will fit directly on the neck posts of TBLeague bodies. I suspect the fit is not perfect, and some custom crafting (or fudging with tape and styrofoam) would be required.

9OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:06 pm

NavySubGuy

NavySubGuy
davidd wrote:Sample images of various heads on the S26 body:

Head from a TBLeague S34 figure on a S26 body

Head from TBLeague S37 figure on a S26 body

YMToys YMT058 head on S26 body

Momoko Doll head on S26 body

In my experience, heads from YMToys tend to run on the small side and often, although not always, work with the TBLeague S26/27 body size.

I do not know if stock Obitsu heads will fit directly on the neck posts of TBLeague bodies. I suspect the fit is not perfect, and some custom crafting (or fudging with tape and styrofoam) would be required.

That was an interesting link.

At this point I think my best approach is to try to get a few of the YMToys heads and maybe other (a bit cheaper) heads than OBITSU and play a bit to see what head fits what body.

You really can't lose. If it doesn't fit the body, you still have a great head for another time and for another figure; or just a nice collection of 1/6 head sculpts.

Many thanks

10OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts  Empty Re: OBITSU 1/6 Head Sculpts Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:01 am

Zes

Zes
davidd wrote:I do not know if stock Obitsu heads will fit directly on the neck posts of TBLeague bodies. I suspect the fit is not perfect, and some custom crafting (or fudging with tape and styrofoam) would be required.

The stock Obistu (assuming you mean the most common Obitsu 27HD) heads do fit the smaller TBLeague bodies perfectly (S24, S26, S37, S44, etc.). They do also fit the regular sized TBLeague bodies with some elbow grease. They are soft vinyl, so you can sort of force the connection. Many artists will also shave off some of the vinyl on the neck adapter to accommodate larger neck pegs, but that isn't necessary, in my opinion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum